Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Ganon posted:

What happened with the Moscow job?

I'm still being investigated for it as far as I know, although that job was always sort of a last resort. It'd give me a TS, a couple more years to perfect my Russian and more exposure to the culture, but I am not sure if that would be enough to get me to where I want to go.

Plus, I hear that even if a clearance is granted, the job wouldn't be guaranteed. From what I hear about DoS clearances, they aren't finalized unless one starts the job that the clearance is for, so all my time dealing with them may count for nothing anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

It's not like the organization is a secret. You can go on their website and read about it and submit a job application. The actual hiring process would probably make a really boring movie though.

"9 months later..."

"This summer, Tom Clancy is back on the big screen. Jack Ryan takes on his biggest challenge yet...the CIA HR department...in The Recruitment Agenda!"

Actually that sounds like a Robert Ludlum book.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Pompous Rhombus posted:

For fed jobs, a lot of waiting followed by rejection.

This, basically has been my case as well.

A Master's would make it a tad easier if you can, otherwise lower your sights a tad and just focus on getting your foot in the door. Data entry, cafeteria clerk, whatever.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Zoo posted:

FBI sent out an email to some people today mentioning that now there's a budget, they have lifted their FY11 hiring freeze.

I got that as well, also made me take a survey to determine my eligibility for positions. Not sure if I need to reapply to vacancies after I take it, wait for the results of said survey to reapply, or what though. Seemed like an awfully simple survey to determine eligibility.

Edit: Quick question for anyone who is familiar with the clearance investigations. I met with one of my investigators a while back to clear up some discrepencies with my last SF-86 (nothing major, just my not knowing how to fill out the damned thing way back when, and not including stuff in the current one due to their not asking for certain information). Was that the final contact to clear up or come clean or whatever before adjudication begins? Or is the process still to obscure to really understand where one is in the process?

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 27, 2011

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
I got news. I've been "approved" for my clearance. Not sure though if that means I got it right now, or only once I get hired. Hopefully the former. But one less thing to worry about. Now I just need to worry about when a vacancy will open up.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Zoo posted:

I'm not sure why you're distinguishing between these scenarios. Are you planning on not accepting the job that triggered your investigation, or was it canceled? Nonetheless, if your clearance has been adjudicated then you do indeed have the clearance. It will expire in a couple of years if you don't use it, but you have it for now. :)

I was just under the impression that my clearance wasn't active until I actually started work. Whether or not this is true, I don't know. Hopefully I actually have it so I can apply for other jobs.

Edit: Now they say they could have an opening next month. Fingers crossed.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 4, 2011

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
What was the web address for that security clearance database where you could see the ID, a description and whether it was approved or denied?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Tyro posted:

Are you talking about the DOD Industrial Security Clearance Decisions Database?

http://www.dod.gov/dodgc/doha/industrial/

Looks like it yeah. Was hoping to be able to pull mine up so I can start tossing out resumes mentioning my clearance, but not sure if it is active yet.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Welp, my contractor job just fell through, which leaves me (maybe) with a clearance, but no job. Wonder if I'd be able to at least use the clearance if those people don't have a job for me.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

KennyG posted:

Did you get your clearance completed before your job fell through? If you didn't, your 'jurisdiction was lost' and you likely will not have a clearance.

An actual eligibility can be practically valuable (even though they aren't that valuable from a business perspective). It all depends on your industry. I don't have any idea of how you would check to see if your clearance went through to see if you do in fact have a valid eligibility.

It was completed and I was "approved for the clearance" or something along those lines. It may be active for all I know though.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
So I just got this article in the mail, I am wondering if it would be a solution to not having enough experience to get into the intelligence field:

http://www.clearancejobs.com/cleared-news/346/intelligence-careers-get-jumpstart-with-analyst-training-program

Opinions? Thoughts? The fact that some courses can be taken online makes it seem that it wouldn't be taken very seriously.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Zoo posted:

Not sure about that program in particular, but I'd guess (wildly) that it would be better for getting hired at NASIC in Dayton. Have you looked into NDIC (soon to be NIU, the National Intelligence University under ODNI)? From the academic route, that's a sure-fire way in, especially if you already have a four-year degree and go for the MSSI. I feel like you in particular have seen us discuss this in this thread though; just making sure...

Yeah, I've seen that. I usually find it a no-go just from reading the first paragraph of admissions eligibility:

quote:

Eligibility

All prospective NDIC students must be U.S. citizens who are members of the U.S. Armed Forces or federal government employees. Additionally, students must possess a TS/SCI security clearance. Government contractors are not eligible for enrollment in National Defense Intelligence College academic programs.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
So after a few months I've gotten a call for a phone interview later this week. Unfortunately I've moved away from DC for another job. Could this will be a turnoff for them since I am no longer in the area? Should I make mention of it even if I'm not asked?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
I'm not sure how to phrase this correctly, but I will try.

Is there a certain timeframe in which a clearance (TS specifically) can be claimed?

A little background. Basically I was in the process for getting a contractor job, background investigation went fine, I was cleared for a TS but then the contractor offered the job to another. I am curious how long the TS could still be used without having to start another investigation, and going through the entire process all over again.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

routenull0 posted:

Was it ever fully adjudicated? Typically the contract holder and agency (the one sponsoring your cleraance) does not start the SF85 paperwork until you've been hired, so to do that prior to giving you an offer, are you sure it was not just a contractor background check for employment?

Usually if you leave a job that required a clearance to one that does not, it goes into a dormant state, and can re-activated.

It was adjudicated, and it was a TS clearance. I just never got the job.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

CherryCola posted:

Just wanted to post another follow up about my awesome government job. I still freaking love it so much more than I could have dreamed.

One thing I don't get though, is why all these kids around my age have no idea how to act professional. I just finished a month long mandatory training course which all new hires have to take. Our group had the WORST ATTENDANCE RECORD in the ENTIRE HISTORY of this course. This one girl would walk in two hours late like it ain't no thing. and THEN this other self-entitled baby went off on a band five (basically a GS-15 on the regular scale...that's the highest, right?) about how she wasn't being "treated like a professional" and blah blah blah. Basically, all these 25 year old *children* were acting like they were pretty much owed this job.

A note to people looking for a job, DO NOT FREAKING ACT LIKE THIS. The biggest thing that can get you IMMEDIATELY fired is timecard fraud. And where I work we have a two year probationary period, so it's even worse. They actually sent emails to EVERYONE'S bosses and their boss' bosses about how terrible our class was. I'm incredibly punctual and an absolute overachiever, so I wasn't even to blame for any of the issues. Luckily, my boss knows me well enough to know that I'm not an unprofessional idiot, but he had to write to the head of our division (who I've never met) to let him know that I'm not one of the misfits.

Sorry for the rant, but I don't know why new employees would act so unprofessional, especially in this economy. I thank my lucky stars every single day that I have such a great job and would never knowingly do anything to jeopardize it.

Glad to hear its working out for you so far! That is kinda suprising that they would go through all that training, stay committed enough throughout the entire hiring process and act like that.

You'll let me know if any of 'em get canned and more vacancies pop up won't ya?!

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

11b1p posted:

The new site loving sucks

Yeah I don't understand what they improved. And have some of the search functions been cut?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Its been almost a year since I've posted here. Just got an offer for that embassy contractor job after being rejected 3-4 times in the past couple of years. Sure it would activate my clearance but I'm having doubts that even with that and the language study would be better than attending the grad school I got accepted to. Any one have a differing opinion? Otherwise I'm willing to tell them too little too late. Plus kinda banking on round 2 of the DS exam.

Plus I just had to buy a new car after an oak tree crushed my old a couple of weeks ago, so if I left then that would've kinda been a waste.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

sixstringsamurai posted:

Security clearances last according to type, a secret should last for about 10 years if I remember right, a TS for 5 and anytime within 2 years after it has admistrativly ended you can get a re investigation as opposed to a new investigation, having ever had a clearance is a good thing as far as getting a renewal or a job that requires discretion or for you to have access to classified information.

What about for clearances that were never activated? In my case I was cleared for the clearance, waited for the position to open up, which is where things fell through. Not sure how that fits in an application.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
So I've begun my M.A. in Intl Relations here and Norfolk but I am beginning to have some doubts as to whether this even a Master's in this field will be marketable. I am starting to strongly consider starting fresh and work my way through a computer science degree. Is there anyone here that is/has experience with the State/Defense department that can offer their two cents?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

menpoop posted:

I'm about to enter into a position as a civilian with one of the services so I might be able to add some insight. I've got a poli-sci BA and an IR-type MA. While my education was no doubt important in getting my resume looked at, I really think that what sealed the deal for me during the selection process were the skills I could reference outside of academia. (study abroad, language, internships)

To be sure, the MA helped me stand out a bit in a very saturated field and if I had to do it again, I'd do it without hesitation. But what worked for me isn't necessarily what will work for you. At the very least, if I were you, I'd make sure to get an internship that I could spin as relevant to the sorts of positions I had an eye on. Networking helps a lot with this - don't be shy about asking your professors if they or their colleagues need help with their projects. My internship proved absolutely invaluable in the interviews and I got it just by asking a professor to ask his friends if they had any work that needed to be done. I didn't get a few of the positions I interviewed for, but even in the rejected ones, I could tell that that experience was really helping me out.

I guess my bottom line is that - at least for my personal situation - I don't think the MA itself was the difference between getting offered a position and not. People with BA's are getting hired at the exact same position as I'm about to start. What the degree did was open doors for things like getting that much-needed experience on my resume and for allowing me to explore relevant, useful topics I would have otherwise left alone.

I understand it is a lot of networking and internship experience that can kinda cinch the deal, I may just be in a sort of panic right now with starting student debts and now I'm wondering if its worth it.

I really enjoy the field, I want to continue my Russian, but when I hear from friends and family who get hard science degrees who get contractor jobs (not what I want, but definite and steady paying) it gives me pause. I figure that I will stick with the program for at least a year, see what internships I can get, re-take the FSOT, etc.

I got interviews with only the BA, maybe I can get further with the MA. Just need to keep trying.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Federal government will sometimes offer internships without even an interview, so that's a really good sign. You're probably correct in that it's going to be 'tell me a little about yourself' to make sure you're a human being, basically.

That's good to know, as I can sometimes be a terrible interviewee. Just applied for a GAO graduate internship, hopefully that will be the case here.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
So I posted in the State thread about this internship I've been offered in Department of State and I am trying to figure out whether or not this would be the best thing for me to do. It is within the branch of the State Department I want to ultimately work for and it would activate my clearance. However I would likely be out a months rent from having to reneg on my apartment lease, I'd lose my Graduate Assistantship (only $5k a semester) for my final semester, would need to take out a large amount in loans to support myself, and uproot myself from Norfolk to the NOVA area.

My faculty head seems to think that I should instead try to pursue an internship as a researcher here at the Joint Forces Staff College here in town, and while this would be an easier alternative, wondering if it is the smarter alternative given my career goal.

I have been leaning more towards accepting this internship than not, but would welcome any advice, especially from DoS goons.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Xandu posted:

I think the Department of State looks more impressive than the NDU anyways, and given that you also want to work for State, I'd take it.

edit: But look, this internship is not everything and if taking it would put you in financial trouble, it's probably not worth it.

Wouldn't exactly put me in financial trouble, would just mean I'd have to take more out in student loans. Whether or not it constitutes as financial trouble would hinge on securing a job at the end of all this which is never a guarantee. And since this is the closest I've gotten in 5 years to employment with DoS, I am a little more inclined to take that risk.

And hell, if it activates the clearance I've been cleared for since '11, that could only improve my employment chances I'd imagine.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

psydude posted:

If your clearance is DoD, it may not transfer if you gain full-time employment for DoS. For interns and contractors, they'll reciprocate, but for many of their positions that require a TS or higher (including the Foreign Service, if I'm not mistaken) they'll make you go through the entire process again.

The clearance was done through DoS originally so hopefully that won't be too big an issue.

hitension posted:

I would listen to the advice of actual DS employees over mine, but I did notice that in my experience, the Venn diagram of "people who interned at State" and "people who actually work full time for State" is basically 2 circles...

That would be a pretty big con in my mind. Any idea why that is?

Also I'd like to say the name of the office alone might be worth it given what I hope to do, keywords/buzz words and all that.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 22, 2013

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Leif. posted:

If you'd be working where I think you'd be working, it should be pretty awesome.

What would you guess?

Edit: HR lady got back to me on disclosure. I'll be working in Diplomatic Security.

So from this package I just received, it looks like the position only requires a secret, and not my TS. Kinda lame.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 29, 2013

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Leif. posted:

Ah nevermind, I was guessing INR.

That was my second choice, but glad to have gotten my first.

Also the HR rep sent me a list of possible tasks I may end up doing. Surprised that they seem fairly legit, though I'm sure I'll end up getting some food/beverage service experience as well.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
So I've been offered a job in the DC metro area. Pay is somewhere in the $55k range. The work is going to be in two locations, Mc Lean and Pentagon City. Can anyone offer any insight as to where I should look for an apartment? I've been told Arlington, though with that salary I think that'd be on the high side.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

dalliance posted:

Hey y'all,

I was just notified that I have a phone interview for a State Department internship next week. Any tips on acing the interview? I've never done a phone interview before.

About a year ago I had the same interview. I have to imagine it depends on the office. Generally speaking all that matters is you sell yourself as best you can, highlight your skills and try to provide examples of you actually using them to practical problems. I don't have any specific advice though I think it is largely dependent on the office you are interviewing with. My office was my first choice but overall I don't think it was near as competitive as other offices, so your mileage may differ.

My experience: a day before the interview, I got a call scheduling the interview the next day, as I was making an all-day drive from VA to SC. That night my friends in Charleston and I had a few drinks, went to bed late. Fast forward to the morning, I had left my contact lenses in overnight and for the most part I had become practically blind. And hungover. To compensate for the hungover bit, I had too much coffee and ended up a little wired and anxious during the whole process, and despite all that I still got through. And got to wear a cool eye patch for about a week.

Phone interview advice, get yourself ready somewhere in your house, have your resume handy, maybe a few notes on how to apply your experiences to the job itself. And phone interviews suck in that you have no visual cues. You can't tell when the other person is about to speak or not, and you can easily end up talking over each other for a bit. Just try not to get flustered, and allow them to proceed unless they request you to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

CherryCola posted:

You might check out the Huntington area. It's at the very end of the yellow line, but at least it's metro accessible and relatively inexpensive. I had a one bedroom there for $950.

Would you recommend the development whatever the name is? I did see one place right near the station but I think I've settled on a place up in Falls Church. It's a few hundred more, but its only a few miles from work, more space, and one of the better reviewed/rated places I could find in my price range. I am open to other alternatives though.