Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Yeah that's what I was able to do when I was stuck in Tallanasty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I haven't looked at the details lately but does that limit include or exclude the employer match percentage?

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Josh Lyman posted:

That's not true. GS caps at $170,800; in SF which has the highest locality, you hit that at 14-10 and 15-5 and higher, but at SEC the cap is $253,300.

Gotta compete with the banking industry from which they come and to which they'll return for even more pay after serving at SEC...

There are a few hiring authorities out there that allow more pay than Congress. EPA and HHS have title 42 appointments

I think that agencies that hire a lot of bankers and lawyers are generally given more leeway on pay bands.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
The annoying part that I've run into is that if you filter on department it makes filtering by agency useless. At least that's what happened to me the last time I used both ways of filtering.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
It'll probably take a while though since usually there are hiring freezes initially. But I suspect the freeze won't be nearly as long as the one in 2017.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Sometimes you can get credit from your other jobs to get into the higher leave categories earlier, but that's about all I've heard of in terms of negotiation. You might be able to start with a balance too, but I've never heard of anyone get that.

And I think the OPM guidance is actually 3 years to move from the 4h to 6h categories. https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/leave-administration/fact-sheets/annual-leave/

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Yeah 0592 is "Tax Examining Series"
https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/classifying-general-schedule-positions/occupationalhandbook.pdf

Usually they list it series, grade, step, since I believe that's the order of the boxes on most of the payroll and hr forms

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Betazoid posted:

This is for the job I started a month ago. I still haven't been "hired."

They probably close it out on USAJobs when the whole cert is closed. Any idea if that was a multiple position thing or just a single spot?

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Rakeris posted:

Is anyone here doing the family border detail? My boss said she would sign off on it if I wanted to go, but I'm not sure if it's going to be just a super depressing detail or more actually doing stuff? The details have been rather sparse.

From what I've heard, it's yes on both counts. There's actual doing stuff but it is extremely emotionally draining.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

laxbro posted:

Did you just go to python.org and install it? Or did you have to submit a ticket to justify it. All I want to do it automate pulling data out of 100s of individual excel files submitted by grantees and populating a “master” excel file with all of the data. I’d love to automate some basic data quality checks as well.

Currently my colleagues populate it manually and it always has sooo many errors when I look at it. It looks like powershell has an excel module so I’ll check that out first!

What, you don't want to write an excel macro? :thunkgun:

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Toshimo posted:

There's a correlation there. Sounds like your whole agency needs a recalibration on grades. Y'all deserve better money for that.

Nah, it's by design. Need to have lots of different layers of sedimentary deposit for certain formations.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Midjack posted:

How does that happen? Mandatory overtime as a 15/10?

I think 15s are all FLSA exempt, so there's no such thing as overtime - usually when you're that far up you get comp time (if you're lucky)

I could be wrong though. Also, like half of the steps in the 15 grade for DC are capped at the pay limit.

Alucard fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 18, 2021

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

laxbro posted:

And I believe it is set in law so basically it will never change because…

The caps are raised periodically, it's tied to SES pay which I believe is tied to Congress' pay.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Seamonster posted:

No, there is a specific Executive Schedule. Congress as a completely separate branch of gov't has no relation to it other than legislating changes thereto.

My bad - you will notice the close correspondence between EX-IV pay and typical congressional pay (174k-ish) as well as the top band (220k) being pretty close to the highest member of Congress (207k). Since they legislate it, they're disinclined to increase pay unless they also increase their own, since every branch thinks it's the most important.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

GD_American posted:

About the only thing we can't do when shutdown anymore is benefit letters and process overpayments.

You'd think they'd have a little extra money lying around to process overpayments...

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
There have been a few cases where an executive order was signed to grant an extra holiday leave day.

https://www.govexec.com/workforce/2021/12/will-federal-employees-get-extra-time-christmas/359876/

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
That's the new flexible telework strategy - everyone with COVID teleworks and those who don't work in the office. There should be enough reinfection that this can be repeated each week ad infinitum

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Shadragul posted:

Don't forget that it bumps to every three years for the step 7 to step 10 bumps. In full, it takes 18 years to go from step 1 to step 10.

QSIs can accelerate that by around 3-5 years. I think they can't be applied but once every 2 years or so - I can't remember if you carry over time within step for a QSI though.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
If you are generally healthy, go in for routine stuff primarily, and locations are convenient Kaiser's HMO is decent. The two knocks are out of network stuff and some states don't have Kaiser facilities. The dental coverage is dogshit though so you are probably best served adding a Benefeds option.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Like AliExpress, but for employment.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
You know they're going to go with the ones that reflect sound the best so you can hear your coworkers straining as clearly as possible.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Godspeed! This all sounds complicated to me but I'm sure as you get familiar with things it will become second nature.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

App13 posted:

(And swapping field science for office life means no more pooping behind factories)

Never say never, now you can do it because you want to, not because you have to.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I fight to keep a team of computer touchers from drowning in work someone else should be doing.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

sparkmaster posted:

Happy public service appreciation week.

In appreciation for our services, my agency is throwing us...a Teams meeting. To demonstrate their appreciation.

:smith:

Ooh maybe you'll get a cool custom background for all your hard work!

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Gin_Rummy posted:

So at risk of sounding like a busy body, and also unsure of if this is a good thread to post this in, but…

Ethically speaking, should I report a dude under investigation for a TS Clearance when he is almost certainly soliciting extra marital affairs on Grindr? This dude is literally cruising the app at his desk all day, and considering he has a wife and kids, I can’t imagine he will answer some of the investigation questions honestly.

On the one hand, that's definitely something that would be a big red flag for a clearance since it's absolutely something someone could hold over your head, and real dumb to try and do on the sly.

On the other, maybe the wife and kids know about it and are cool with it, so it wouldn't be an issue even if it came up?

I'm a goody two shoes so I'd probably report it anonymously, especially if you give a poo poo about the security of the information you handle. Also seems like he could be better using his time working instead of cruising for rear end, unless his job is "Grindr honey pot."

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

App13 posted:

There is precedent set that homosexual affairs are not effective for black mail (the soviets tried it, which is why there’s a gay bar outside every CONUS and non-CONUS military base).

Is the precedent general? I know financial issues usually are a bigger deal because of the risk, but I thought that if it's something that could be considered an embarrassment if revealed it's still viable.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
My impression is that it won't help you get past the initial screen, but it could help get eyes from a hiring manager if it's well written and actually relevant to the posting.

If it's not much of a hassle, I'd say just go for it anyway.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
20 years will generally get you around 22% pension with FERS-FRAE, which is what you'd get into if you start now or later. The 20-year mark is when it converts from 1% per year to 1.1% per year. The other two components of retirement are Social Security and your TSP, which is basically a 401k equivalent that you can get up to 5% of your annual salary matched in employer contributions.

The 62 date is generally best overall, since it's another prerequisite to get that 1.1% per year:
https://www.opm.gov/retirement-services/fers-information/

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Hackan Slash posted:

It looks like you're looking at CSRS info, which you wouldn't be in since you had to be in before like 1986. As was mentioned, the new plan is FERS, with the 1.0/1.1 annuity, the Thrift Savings Plan (401k equivalent), and Social Security.

If you plan on staying in until 62/63 you'll get all the benefits and don't need to worry about starting late.

Imo the early/mra collection is extremely rough and you should avoid it. Like I could retire in my 50s with 30+ years but if I want to collect immediately and not wait until 62 you lose a lot of annuity.

Edit: actually if you have the 30 you don't get the reduction, but you don't get the 1.1 multiplier

Just remember that it's not about when you leave service, but when you activate your benefits. You can "retire from" (i.e. leave) federal service at 50 and start your retirement benefits at 62 with no penalties.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Most people starting jobs in the private sector these days get 401ks and a match at best. Most pension programs were gutted entirely years ago, the federal government still has one but it's more anemic now.

The best part is that pensions and social security are both basically ponzi schemes, so contribute to your own retirement account - I will be pleasantly surprised if my pension and social security are solvent by the time I retire, but I ain't relying on it.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Bored As gently caress posted:

I'm 37, aka old as gently caress

Alucard fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 6, 2022

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

laxbro posted:

2 years. You’d be a 13 for your third year. Ladder promotions seem to all but automatic at most agencies as long as you meet expectations.

Just double check that it's the norm at the agency, some places aren't as automatic.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
In their defense, resumes aren't keyword searched by an automated system, they're keyword searched by a low level employee.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
You'll likely get an email stating your status soon. Direct hires process faster because I think HR just clears everyone who self-certifies on the questionnaire regardless of the resume.

You may also want to check if it says it cuts off at 50 candidates or on the day that 50 candidates are exceeded.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Sounds like it's in order of application and if none of those meet the hiring manager needs they'll go to further eligibles. I feel like not making the qualified and eligible list for a direct hire is pretty rare though. My impression is as long as you know how to fill out the questionnaire, you'll certify.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Dr. Quarex posted:

Living the dream, I have wanted to take a polygraph since I was a kid. Surely everyone else also had fantasies about being so boring that they cannot believe it

I mean who doesn't love having an electrode strapped to your taint?

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Just enlist and bing bang boom not a problem anymore

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Leviathan Song posted:

they were violating the opm two step promotion rules, which is borderline illegal.
The two step rule sets a minimum for promotions, but not a maximum. HR just interprets it as both...

OPM posted:

The two-step promotion rule states that a GS employee promoted to a position in a higher grade is entitled to basic pay at the lowest rate of the higher grade that exceeds his or her existing rate of basic pay by not less than two step increases of the grade from which promoted. 

They interpret the entitled to basic pay at the lowest rate as the maximum terminology but the not less than part would indicate you can go more than two steps, just not less. The "exceeds" covers that the rate has to be higher so the not less than appears to modify the step count.

Alucard fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Depending on the type of clearance there can be a "suitability" determination that can go quickly and can allow you to conduct the work while they're still pursuing the full background check. But if you fail the check afterwards I think some bad poo poo happens unless you can be put into a role that lets you do work not requiring the clearance.