Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Huh, I don't know if it's a new thing, but last time I was at SFO all the TSA inspectors were private contractors. They were TSA style uniforms, almost identical, but if you look very closely their badges have the TSA replaced with their company name. There were a handful of actual TSA walking around, but most of the legitimate TSA agents I actually saw there looked like law-enforcement, not screeners.

The contractors were equally incompetent, just saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

CherryCola posted:

Guess whose clearance just went through! (Yup, that would be me!)

I'm so excited that my job is actually a sure thing now. I just have to wait for them to put me in a training cohort. Unfortunately, February and March are both full and April might be filling up too. If I can't get into the April group, then I'll probably have to wait until the summer because of the BRAC move. But I'm not going to get stressed about this because at least I have a pretty pleasant temp assignment until mid-April...and there's actually a light at the end of the tunnel!

Thank Jeebus.

Thanks for putting up with my constant freaking out, guys!

Continuing the tradition of goons makin' it.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

amethystbliss posted:

Glad to hear it's not as big a deal as I first thought. Nothing questionable in my background, just moving around for undergrad and grad school. My husband is a U.S. permanent resident, so that's all on the up and up.

I'm working on the SF-85 form which doesn't seem to be too bad compared to others. Start date is in September, so I'm hopeful it will be done by then. I haven't talked to some of my past employers for 3-5 years- am I allowed to ring them and let them know they might be expected to complete a questionnaire or interview?

Edit: Holy poo poo, Skandiaavity. That must have taken so much patience!

Some people have been in clearances for 2 years before finally passing. It can be hit or miss, but by September should be fine. Mine was squeaky clean and cleared in less than 2 months, with only one little hiccup that once his report was finished he had to go back and add something which added a week or two.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
The form is clear though, you don't need to list everyone, just those that have bonds of affection (I think that's the term). You're going to have to do addendums when you renew it anyway, so while yes you should err on the side of caution, you should also not go overboard.

-e- I'd also suggest caution on what you say too -- a friend admitted to torrenting Photoshop and a couple other apps when he was in high school, and was denied.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 26, 2011

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I will put this in the OP

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

In light of the very real possibility of a shutdown I put together a FAQ from various news sites around. I posted this in Debate & Discussion, but figured you guys could make use of it as well.

Exactly what is going on?
Federal agencies cannot spend money unless funds are authorized and appropriated. Every year Congress is supposed to pass 12 appropriations bills that fund the federal government for the next fiscal year. They have not done that for FY11, and instead have passed a series of continuing resolutions that fund federal agencies at FY10 levels. The last of the continuing resolutions expires on March 4th, and unless Congress passes another funding measure a large number of "non-essential" federal employees will be furloughed.

How does this affect federal workers?
According to Federal News Radio "slightly less than half" of the 2.1 million federal workers subject to a shutdown would be furloughed. That doesn't include contractors who would be affected. The rules for who can work during a government shutdown haven't changed substantially since the 1980s, so the same people who worked during the shutdowns in FY96 will work if the government shuts down again. The Washington Post has a guide for who will work:

How are government services affected?
Previous shutdowns give us an idea of what will happen. One thing to consider is that previous shutdowns have generally been very brief. The last shutdown occurred from December 16, 1995 to January 6, 1996. Although this was the longest shutdown in US history, it occurred during the Christmas holiday when many federal employees would already be on leave. Here is a list of how some agencies will be affected:
  • If the shutdown lasts long enough then paychecks for many employees, essential or not, would be delayed. Federal contracts would be impacted.
  • Domestic agencies like the National Archives, DoE, HUD, EPA, and Census Bureau would be largely shut down. National parks would be closed, visa and passport applications would be delayed, and benefits to veterans would be delayed.
  • It is unclear whether or not Social Security checks would go out. During the FY96 shutdowns checks were mailed and new applications were still processed. However because the program is no longer running a surplus that may not happen.
  • The March 7 return of the space shuttle Discovery likely wouldn't be affected, but otherwise most of NASA would be shut down.
  • New Medicare claims will not be processed.
  • Tax returns that contain payment would be processed, but the IRS tax hotline will not be staffed. No tax refunds would be issued.
  • The National Institutes of Health would not be able to accept new patients or answer hotline calls regarding diseases. The Center for Disease Control would not be able to provide disease surveillance.
  • Federal law enforcement (FBI, Border Patrol, etc) would continue. Administrative tasks such as approving permits would be delayed.
  • Combat operations would continue, and the majority (69% in FY96) would stay on the job. Non-essential personnel would include research labs and people in administrative positions like program offices.
  • The US Postal Service would not be affected.
What happens to the federal workers?
By law the federal workers are not allowed to work without pay, so legally they cannot even work from home. It's possible that the workers will receive back pay once the shutdown is over, but there's no guarantee. Contractors are even less likely to receive retroactive pay.

How likely is a government shutdown?
Nobody wants a government shutdown, but unless things change it will happen. The House passed a spending bill that included $61 billion in cuts over FY10 levels, but both the Senate and the President rejected the cuts as draconian. The Speaker of the House has refused to permit any budget extension that doesn't include cuts. Both the House and Senate are working on temporary extensions that also include funding cuts. Republicans in the House have proposed a two week extension that includes a $4 billion cut to federal spending, and Democrats at least appear to be open to it. By the time they get back from the President's Day holiday Congress will have less than a week to agree on a solution.

What about the debt ceiling?
Federal law currently states that the government cannot carry a debt larger than $14.3 trillion. When the debt ceiling is reached the federal government stops spending money. As of right now the US National Debt Clock puts the debt at $14.2 trillion, and it's expected to hit the debt ceiling sometime in April or March. Although Republicans have threatened to refuse to raise the debt ceiling, the catastrophic consequences of such an action make it very unlikely that they would follow through.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think both parties secretly want it. The Republicans think this is a fantastic way to show that the Democrats would rather shut the government down than cut the budget. Democrats think that, if it went on long enough, people would realize that they actually need the government and just going "CUTS! CUTS! CUTS!" isn't going to work. Given the political boost that it gave President Clinton I believe both parties think the risk is worth it.

It may not happen on March 4th, but I think it will happen.

I think this, but I also think the Democrats stand significantly more to gain.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Started work today!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Not getting paid until almost a month after you start work (nor getting health insurance coverage) sucks hard.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I had a crown over a root canal that shattered two weeks ago. I have a broken shard of a tooth sitting in my mouth and have since then, because I can't get dental work until my coverage kicks in.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Obviously I had a different hiring process, but I started my application in 2009, and entered on duty last week. It can take a while.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

psydude posted:

The CIA is advertising for the NCS on the radio. Wat.

They've been doing it on TV for some time.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Gravel Gravy posted:

"This summer, Tom Clancy is back on the big screen. Jack Ryan takes on his biggest challenge yet...the CIA HR department...in The Recruitment Agenda!"

Actually that sounds like a Robert Ludlum book.

Stay tuned for the thrilling sequel when Jack Ryan goes to the Hill to testify on H.R. 1.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

ixo posted:

It's my understanding that any fee-based agency is also exempt. after all, if the program is not being funded by taxpayers, it would be silly to shut it down due to budget issues. I sure as hell hope this is the case anyway, because if I have to take a vacation our clients will be Up poo poo Creek.

No. Consular officers for instance, are still being furloughed, despite most consular operations being funded by fees. Despite some agencies having funding from fees, the criteria is that they are not allowed to incur any further financial obligations.

Also, :psyduck: at the fact that I still have to go to work to receive my furlough letter telling me to leave work and go home immediately. What's even more :psyduck: is that there is someone who has to come in to work for the sole purpose of giving OTHER people their furlough letters, before they in turn are furloughed.

Head asplode.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Quodio Stotes posted:

Hi there. I am another college student due to graduate with little or no idea how to embark on my job search. However, I would love to work in DC (for a number of reasons) or abroad and have an interest in working for the government (especially in the field of foreign affairs). I am wondering about my prospects based in my resume and credentials. I will be graduating with a BA from Mcgill University, Major in economics, Minor in East Asian languages. I speak intermediate Spanish, and conversational Korean. I am happy and willing to learn new languages as well. Also I am a good writer. What could/should I expect with the above credentials? Sorry if there are a bunch of others in here asking for advice as well, but I really don't know where to start. Thank you in advance

Have you seen the Foreign Service mega thread?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I wonder if people outside the Washington area, military and federal court employees excepted, have any idea what the shutdown means.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

CherryCola posted:

I was watching C-Span broadcasting House proceedings and they mentioned that if there was no agreement they would be coming in tomorrow. If there was some sort of agreement over the weekend, could we still be safe for Monday?

As far as I've been advised, the 72-hour rule is a House rule that can be suspended. So theoretically we could be safe for Monday yes.

I'm not holding my breath.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Giodo! posted:

I just accepted an offer to work at State. Now I just have to wait for my clearance :/ Hopefully I can get an interim and start working in September or so.

Cool! Where at and what job? Also might want to post with the other State goons in the FSO thread.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
It's still people you'll be working with, think of it more of the broader State family thread. Congrats on the PMF though, several of my colleagues are former PMFs and they all loved it!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

grover posted:

You can always appeal to your director's supervisor if you're unhappy, but you don't get to write your job objectives, your boss does unilaterally.

Just be glad NSPS is gone and it's all pass-fail now.

Or come to State where you write your own EERs and own Work Requirements Statements essentially defining your own job. :3:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Coburn has been trying to cut overseas comparability pay for diplomats. Which was instituted in the first place because the pay inequity between DC and overseas was so goddamn bad that people were literally quitting than going to certain posts.

He literally doesn't know what he tries to do, he makes no attempt to understand what he is cutting, he just sees "Whoa whoa whoa, we're paying guys in suits extra to go to assholistan? gently caress that, they can eat poo poo."

-e- the above is kind of the basic version, but it's the broad gist.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 21, 2011

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Andro posted:

This isn't a job seeking post, but I hope someone can help me.

I noticed a lot of you work for the State Department. Are any of you working in DC?

Right now, I am in the process of getting my FBI criminal records check certified by the State Department. The State Department's website says this should take 4 weeks, but a lot of people are waiting 6-8 weeks. I tried calling, but the phone number just gives a prerecorded message. I tried emailing, but I never received a response. I will have to look for another job if this document is late. If any of you know a number I can call or can offer any advice, I would really appreciate it.

I'm out of DC now, but I have colleagues back there. What department/office is doing your certification, I can try and find a better number for you.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Ah, they're kind of separate and have weird hours (like 7am to noon or something like that.); I wouldn't be able to get in touch. Sorry. Try the Foreign Service thread, there are a few goons there in training in DC who could be over there anyway.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
You'll have better luck in the actual FSOT thread.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Drewski posted:

I'm a 5 point vet in a federal excepted service position (VRA appointment) with a BA in International Relations. But I'm not happy where I am so I've been applying to other places. Here are my numbers:

Applications: 45
Status never updated: 27
Still Reviewing Applications: 4
Eligible but not referred: 4
Referred: 10
Interviews (phone): 1
Offers: 0

How many times taking the FSOT?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
As an American alum (JD, not MPP) I can say that their governmental programs rate very highly within the USG.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Check the link to the FSOT/Foreign Service thread in the OP, but basically State Department is hiring for Diplomatic Security Service Special Agents. Opens March 16 and I believe closes the 30th.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Check the last page of the foreign service thread for job announcements for the State Dept 2013 summer intern program, and for Foreign Service Construction Engineers.

Also I didn't post it, but we're also hiring Foreign Service Regional Medical Officers and Psychiatrists.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Nope.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Bellum posted:

What can you get with a TS clearance and no work experience?

Ambassador. (Seriously, that qualifies you for the foreign service assuming you pass the exams).

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
TwoSheds: your question refers to minimum experience criteria. A job may be looking for either A) A bachelor's degree, B) X years of equivalent work experience at progressively higher levels of responsibility blah blah... C) A combination of work experience and education equaling at least Y years, D) none of the above.

Teh thing is that A, B, and C are an "either or." to qualify you at that level as even having enough experience to merit being paid at that paygrade. It's not a substantive evaluation of your education. It's checking a box saying "Either went to college, or had enough work experience to substitute."

In that case, if the 4-year degree applies to you, check box A. It's the most accurate and saves you the time of having to have someone look through your experience to see if you really have that many years (and potentially messing it up or DQing you.)

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

alternate.eago posted:

I'm currently a CS12, which is about equal to some agency's GS12 positions. I've done IT, Public Affairs, and some permitting (special events for the city gov). But no college (about 6-7 years of FT Employment though). Is it even worth it to apply? I'd eventually like to go to college, but I want benefits like healthcare and tuition assistance.

Many jobs allow work experience in lieu of a degree, but it will be listed in the posting so you just have to check.

Keep in mind that under the GS, the equivalency chart (for admin/clerical type jobs; professional/medical operate differently) goes like this.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Quarex posted:

Thanks for that information--that certainly makes sense for the intelligence -> Peace Corps direction if true, because if a single person somehow found out that the person building wells used to work for the CIA or something, then yeah, that would not go well. But I suppose it makes less sense to me why working for the Peace Corps first would be as bad ... or maybe they only care if you would be on an international assignment? I guess I just envision most of the people at these agencies just having desk jobs in Washington, haha.

It's for the Peace Corps benefit. When they're operating in say, Central African Republic or the Congo, it helps to ensure that your Peace Corps volunteers won't be harassed as suspected intelligence operatives.

-e- I'm sure there are counter-intelligence reasons why too, but still.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Quarex posted:

Late night thoughts for the day:

* Is there any way to get a job in intelligence without already having had a job in intelligence? I assume this is the kind of thing where if you are not a military person you just have no way to get the requisite skills?

* Why do most, but not all, National Guard positions require membership in the National Guard? What are they so worried about?!?!

1. Yes. Apply anyway. Also check out the defense contractor thread (I think it's in GIP?) as it may give you an idea about things you could potentially study.
2. Either what psydude said, or they are AGR (basically "active" guard, full time NG positions) billeted positions. NG has all sorts of weird quirks by virtue of being both state and federal that you won't see in the reserves.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Gravel Gravy posted:

The clearance was done through DoS originally so hopefully that won't be too big an issue.

That would be a pretty big con in my mind. Any idea why that is?

Also I'd like to say the name of the office alone might be worth it given what I hope to do, keywords/buzz words and all that.

If you'd be working where I think you'd be working, it should be pretty awesome.

Justus posted:

Well, I got hired with them 4 months ago, along with like 12 other people at our office.

Also, a quick look at USAjobs shows that they're still hiring for about 150 positions.

Attrition hiring.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Gravel Gravy posted:

What would you guess?

Edit: HR lady got back to me on disclosure. I'll be working in Diplomatic Security.

So from this package I just received, it looks like the position only requires a secret, and not my TS. Kinda lame.

Ah nevermind, I was guessing INR.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Agean90 posted:

The OP says their are a few science goons working for the US government, anyone know if im going to be stuck 4 months waiting to know if ive been rejected or not?

Fresh outta college, applying for entry level lab tech/assistant jobs if that helps.

Man I haven't updated that in a LOOONG time, but yeah we do have a few (and more that aren't in the OP).

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

USMC_Karl posted:

So after agonizing about what kind of "REAL CAREER" I want while working my current job, I decided to apply for the FSOT in order to (hopefully one day) work with the department of state in the Consular office. I realize that it's probably a really huge long shot for me to land any of the jobs with the DoS, but I figured it'd be worth a try. I'm trying to find some decent study material for the FSOT test and figured this might be a smart place to ask, so.... anyone willing to help a brother out? I've got a good job that pays decently now, but the Consular Services job sounds right up my alley as well as being relatively in line with my skills (I've been working as an English instructor abroad for over 5 years). I'm serious about studying for it, and am willing to listen to any advice out there.

Did you post in the FSOT thread?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

laxbro posted:

Have you ever met any refugee officers? Any perks that go along with the job besides getting to visit cool countries?

I worked pretty extensively with them in my last post. They had a fairly high degree of autonomy and a lot of work travel throughout the region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Stolennosferatu posted:

The foreign service has its own thread if you are going to look into it.
Edit: if this was referring to the guy who wanted into the CIA, check if intelligence agencies will even hire former diplomats. I know serving in the peace Corp disqualifies you from serving as an intelligence officer for 5 years. The government doesn't want to give the wrong impression.

There's no such restriction with the FS.