Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Blackula69 posted:

Untrue, I hate them and their underachieving ways with a passion.

Hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

dunkman posted:

I just moved to San Francisco from Dallas, and I was wondering if I should be a Raiders of a 49ers fan. I am originally from upstate New York, so I'm sort of a Bills fan, but not really.

I sort of like the black/white color combo the raiders have, but I live in SF so maybe I should be a 49ers fan. The last time I heard anything about either team was in Tecmo Super Bowl.

Any help?

Niners 100%

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Raiders fans around here seem to think they're the favorites to win the division every single year.

Niners fans around here are still :smith: about Alex Smith

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Cole posted:

What's the benefit of putting a player on the physically unable to perform list and losing them for six games to start the season? What if they're ok to play after four games?

Roster spots, I would imagine

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Vander posted:

So what's this mean?

I'm not 100% sure this is the case, but it would mean that putting a player on the PUP list doesn't count him as one of the 53 man roster while he's on the PUP list, meaning you have a free spot to keep someone else on the roster.

Same principle as putting players on IR. They're still on your team, but don't take up one of the 53 roster spots and don't have to go through waivers or anything like they would if you just released them from the 53 man roster

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Watching Jacksonville/Minnesota today reminds me to ask this question: Can somebody help explain to me why the hell the NFL initiated the new, convoluted-as-hell overtime system? Is there a method to the madness?

It's like "instead of doing a 15 minute quarter like we have for years or college-style 'everybody gets a possession and we go 'til somebody wins', let's have a hybrid where each team possesses the ball unless a TD or safety is scored on the first drive, at which point the second team doesn't even get it".

I guess I could like it more if I could go "Oh, OK, that makes sense".

Because one time Peyton Manning lost a playoff game in OT without touching the ball, basically

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chilly McFreeze posted:

How about 2 guaranteed 5-minute halves, followed by penalty kicks if it's still tied. Of course, each player only gets to take one kick in the shootout.

How about a full quarter of football.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Why isn't spiking the ball intentional grounding? It's the textbook definition of intentional grounding.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

k3nn posted:

What happens to all the dudes who don't make NFL teams? As I understand it teams start camp with 90 and cut down to 53 for the start of the regular season.. I know some get picked up by other teams, but that's still 37 guys per team who can't be on a roster. I'm sure a bunch of these just retire/give up on football, but surely that can't account for everyone. Do the others just spend the year training in hope of finding a spot the next year? Are there minor leagues they can play in to keep their skills up while they wait?

Arena football and the Canadian Football League are possibilities for a lot of them

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

OperaMouse posted:

College has an 85 man scholarship limit, NFL has a 53-man roster plus a salary cap.

What are the limitations on the amount and pay of the coaches?

Since coach salaries aren't part of the cap, I don't think there are any kind of limitations

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

VOTE1 posted:

I guess a second question is do players move around positions during their career? Ie will a safety or corner ever change into a wide receiver?

Often. There are college QBs who convert to WRs in the NFL. Corners in the NFL sometimes switch to Safeties when they get older and slow down. Brian Urlacher was a safety in college.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Detective Thompson posted:

In college ball, how come, when they show who's playing who, some teams are ranked and others aren't? Is it a bowl thing?

The associated press ranks the top 25 teams every week. If the team makes the list, they're "ranked". If they don't, they don't get a little number next to their name.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

swickles posted:

Also it fails. Although the data is limited, so far it appears to have the opposite affect.

Unless it's Matt Stover

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Stephen Fry loving owns so hard

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chichevache posted:

To be fair HGH Orange is the best flavor.

The orange part is true, please only drink orange gatorade

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Batoot posted:

Yeah I'm sort of afraid of he getting injured, he's gotten alot of hits already. And the recent concussion .. hopefully he'll be a bit more careful. People talking about him being a bust, what's that about? Is that still an issue or is it more about the pre-draft? I like watching alot of teams, but I just find myself cheering more for the Redskins because of RG3. If he got the franchise into the playoffs that would probably be a good start, but it won't happen on his rookie year. Because obviously this is a team game. And yeah, I heard about Snyder and his awful ways. I'd love to hear more on why he's a lovely owner. But please, tell me more about the pros and cons of being a Redskins fan. :allears:

Snyder is simultaneously the best owner and the worst owner.

He's the best because he'll shell out tons of loving cash to bring in superstar players.

He's the worst because everyone he brings in is horrible or past their prime.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Zorkon posted:

You're not a bandwagon fan if you stick with it.

The Patriots have Vince Wilfork.
- He's a well-conditioned athlete.
- He shills for Big Y roast chickens
- He's a spongebob fan. He likes spongebob. Any questions?

The Patriots have Chandler Jones, brother of Julio "Bones" Jones, who apparently is an MMA fighter.

The Patriots have Rob Gronkowski, who is a big good and also already holds some records for the tight end position.

The Patriots have Bill Belichick, and I've yet to root for a team with a more fun coach to root for. He hates the media, cheats to win, and changes the way football is played sometimes.

The Patriots also, of course, have :swoon: Tom Brady :swoon: who is not only the most handsome man in football, he's also one of the greatest quarterbacks in the history of the sport. Plus he knocked up one supermodel then soon after married another. Champion.

Join the dark side. :twisted:

Also, Brady will be retiring in the next few years, so you can experience a real good team now, and a real bad team when that happens.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

When they made up the divisions, how did they decide where to put which teams? Some teams, in terms of geographic location, are way out of the cardinal direction of the division, like the Colts being in the AFC South or the Cowboys in the NFC East. Most make sense for what division they're in, but a number kind of stand out.

A lot of the divisions are grown from rivalries that formed when the initial divisions were created. When the AFL was created in 1960, it had eight teams... San Diego, Oakland, Denver, and Kansas City in the West, and Boston, New York, Houston, and Buffalo in the East. The East kind of did their own thing and added a couple of NFL teams after the merger (Colts, Dolphins) and fractured once the AFC Central came into being, the AFL West is the current AFC West and those rivalries have been uninterrupted.

If the NFL was concerned about geography, during realightment they would have taken Kansas City out of the AFC West and left it as San Diego, Denver, Oakland, and Seattle.

But no one cares about Seattle so they were easy to move

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

No Safe Word posted:

I would assume they'd shift the Chiefs to the AFC South and the Jags to the AFC West, though I don't know how many feathers that might ruffle in KC. But geographically speaking it'd make the most sense. Which is precisely why the NFL won't actually do that.

More likely, they'd move the Rams to the AFC South and the Jags to the NFC West.

I really doubt they'd mess with the AFC West

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

AFC North becomes the Murder Division

AFC West fits that a lot better.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Dolash posted:

Asked this in the wrong thread, but will ask here:

I'm not really much of a Football fan, but a friend of mine is nuts about it and was furious all last year about Tim Tebow. I watched a few games with him playing for the Broncos and he seemed like a lot of fun, and I watched the Broncos/Patriots and Broncos/Steelers game with my friend and they were hilarious rollercoasters of screaming.

Now I know Tebow's on the Jets and doesn't get to play, but is there any chance he'll play another game this season as quarterback? I want to make sure I get my friend to watch it with me if he does, but I don't really understand what would govern that.

I wouldn't mind understanding a little more about the game if anyone wants to explain what determines when a quarterback plays.

Tebow isn't going to play for a couple of reasons. One, Rex Ryan is incredibly stubborn and keeps insisting that Mark Sanchez gives the Jets the best chance to win. I don't even know if that's technically untrue or not, given the three quarterbacks on the Jets roster. Which brings me to the second reason.

Tebow just isn't very good.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

BIGFOOT PEE BED posted:

Speaking of Patriots, have a whole lot of bad teams improved after a major uniform change or am I just being confirmation bias?

The Ducks and Broncos won the Stanley Cup/Superbowl after a major uniform change!

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

edit: wrong thread

a neat cape fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 31, 2012

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Vaya con Dios!!! posted:

I've forgotten the terms for them but I have noticed that mixed snap counts and hard counts seem to have disappeared. Is there a reason for this, am I just hallucinating? One thing I've noticed about the 49ers this year is that when they're playing poorly they seem to be getting owned on the OL a lot - defensive rushers and blitzers seem to regularly jump the snap - and it seems something simple like mixed snap counts could slow their step a little.

San Diego used a ton of hard counts the last two weeks of the season and they worked splendidly against the Jets and Raiders

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

Yeah but didn't Eli essentially do what VCD was talking about and refuse to play because the team was so awful?

San Diego and New York were both 4-12 the year before that draft, it's not like Eli held out to go to some powerhouse.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Football players don't retire as a member of any team.

They absolutely do

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Ron Jeremy posted:

Start at the ground floor. Be a Raider fan.

ground floor isn't a team with multiple superbowl championships hth

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

The NFL can't play on Fridays or Saturdays during the high school and college football seasons by law as I understand it, wiki has this in the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961 article.

In addition to that Friday's traditionally a pretty bad night for TV.

And vice versa, college football can't happen on Sundays. Which is why the Rose Bowl is always on a Monday if New Years Day happens to be on a Sunday

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grozz Nuy posted:

I'm pretty sure (not 100% though, since I was 9 and not exactly following the draft at the time) that it really wasn't, at least not to the degree that it's been built up to in light of Leaf's spectacular flameout. As I understand it many people felt that Leaf had a ceiling equivalent to Peyton's, but he wasn't nearly the same level of product coming out of school. Somebody older than me and/or someone who pays a lot more attention to college football could probably c/d that though.

pretty much. Peyton was the polished product and Leaf was the swing for the fences kinda guy.

They were both insanely highly regarded though

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I don't think it's funny at all.

:(

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

"A highly regarded quarterback out of USC..."

Carson Palmer has had a fairly decent career

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

So the Pats have what, 14 rookies on the team? That's a pretty fair percentage. Are there any teams with more right now? That seems like a hell of a lot of new guys.

The Raiders are starting 11 new players on defense from last year

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

k3nn posted:

How much do superbowl tickets usually cost? Am I better off buying them early or waiting til the teams get decided? I'm planning to travel across to see it (as a UK-based Broncos fan this will be the first time I see my team play) but wondering what the cheapest way to attend it will be.

You realize that the Broncos are not in the superbowl right

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

If there's one thing you can always count on, it's Peyton Manning in January

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

How come nobody ever does a fake fg/punt in the NFL?

The Chargers did one four days ago

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

swickles posted:

Wait til after this year when its only held in Tampa, Miami, Dallas, and San Diego.

What's the problem.

If San Diego builds a new stadium, they'll host a Super Bowl like every three years

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grozz Nuy posted:

Panthers or Chargers would work for this as well imo.

We're in a downswing

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

MC2552John posted:

Why do NFL teams get extra draft picks if one of their player's contracts expire and they go to another team via free agency? If they wanted to keep the player they should have extended him, yes?

They only get extra draft picks if they lose more free agents than they sign, it doesn't have anything to do with any specific free agent.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

AquaticIguana posted:

Why does everyone hate John Elway? Did he do something or did he just win a lot so gently caress him.

Bronco, entitled prick, manipulated the draft, used-car-salesman looking rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chifley posted:

Is there some correlation between which New York football team someone follows and which New York basketball team they follow?

It's usually Giants/Knicks/Yankees and Jets/Mets/Nets

• Locked thread