Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
coleman's helmet was kinda coming off already tho. Also i like the new rule but i like just about every new rule (want to see players in skirts in my lifetime)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Chichevache and I agree on something!!!!!

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Starters are out there the longest, typically, but not longer than about a half. It's also the time they might call more of the actual plays they'll run in the regular season.

And yes, it means game 4 is almost all backups. Often that's because they want to see the most of those guys right before they have to make some cuts, so they want to see the backups a lot.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
That answer owns so hard

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Adam Schefter, too

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
If the Browns dodged a bullet by missing out on the RGIII trade I will...I will poo poo

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
If you don't have the fact they ask for, just post the fact you know!

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
It's just a way of referring to the franchise as a whole, no matter where it played. Like RAI, the most awkward imo, which refers to the Oakland Raiders, the LA Raiders, the fuckin......Tusken Raiders, all the Raiders throughout the team's history

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Every offseason multiple veterans' contracts come to an end. Teams typically re-sign their best veterans before that happens. But in that offseason I would say most vets whose contracts end will hit free agency and usually sign somewhere else.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

k3nn posted:

How much do superbowl tickets usually cost? Am I better off buying them early or waiting til the teams get decided? I'm planning to travel across to see it (as a UK-based Broncos fan this will be the first time I see my team play) but wondering what the cheapest way to attend it will be.

Come to Colorado instead of New Jersey "mate" or just stay in New York City which also is "the bollocks"

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Windmill Hut posted:

Why didn't the Patriots build an indoor stadium when they replaced Foxboro? Is the cold weather something they try to use as an advantage?

Cleveland, New York/New Jersey and New England all built new stadiums pretty recently and went with open-roof stadiums, primarily because of tradition and cost. Fans more than players or management would prefer it I think

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I know I wish Cleveland had put on a dome so they could be in the mix for a Super Bowl but oh well

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Doctor. To what degree did the patient get Owned? Well you see doctor he was decorticate Owned.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Could also be something about slamming the QB's head into the ground, although that isn't under his control with that kind of tackle.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Kaiho posted:

Yay, I coughed up for GamePass. Going through preseason games now to get a sense of how the teams are shaping up (and to get my knowledge of the game up too).

Related to that second point, I was watching the Redskins - Patriots game and toward the end of the 1st quarter, the Pats fumbled a kickoff return that was grabbed by Redskins. Washington then re-kicked. I was somehow supposing that'd be a turnover right there. What's the rule?

edit: I missed the fact that the kicking team got an off-side penalty. I assume without that they'd have to turn it over?

After the play, the Pats had the option of choosing the outcome of the play or running the play again, five yards further back. Since they took option two, it's like the play never happened...except for the game clock I mean

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

swickles posted:

A team plays all 16 games on its schedule, even if they are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

Actually you'll find that the worse teams in the league appear in 16 games but only play in 5 or 6 of them

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Overall though...bad news. They would probably be expected to start the season 1-1, but last week was supposed to be the win and this week the loss. Even if they win this one, losing to the Bills is not a good look. This was supposed to be a year they could at least make the playoffs, they have some pretty awesome talent on offense.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Trin Tragula posted:

I was even about to say "if you had a dome you could hang them from the ceiling!" and then went "meh, who plays in a dome anyway?"

Bill Belicheck just started salivating

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Henchman of Santa posted:

I am looking to move to Chicago, specifically Humboldt Park for the first couple of months. I know there are a ton of Michigan State alums in the area, so does anyone know a good bar to go to for their games?

Are there also any places dedicated to showing Lions games for all of the Michigan transplants? I know the NFL has its coverage rules, but I would guess there are places with Sunday Ticket or something to give them access.

You can find a place easily. Lots of bars fly the flags of the teams they show during game days, so a glance around your neighborhood will help. also i will hang out w/ u

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

R.D. Mangles posted:

lol good luck, Chicago's a Northwestern town

[long, terrible pause echoing down the dim melancholy halls of history] nah

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Back when the Browns were re-created, though, the NFL forced them to draft a hyped up college QB and then required them to pay their offensive linemen minimum wage, which is why they wound up with fat sacks of poo poo who couldn't do anything

Also Chris Palmer was their drat coach because the NFL held a gun to their head iirc

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

And how was this was worse than the voluntary roster decisions the Browns have made since?

Browns actually hired Romeo Crennel after a coke binge and drafted Brandon Weeden in a fugue state

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I figured being a Broncos fan in the 90s gave that away already

you used to be a fan of a different team??? that's pretty messed up man

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
i love my dead gay team

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
She took Baltimore, and she gave you seven points? Or you gave her seven? If you said "Patriots by seven or more" then you owe her, if not then she owes you, either way don't make bets you don't understand imo

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Benny the Snake posted:

She said Ravens by seven or more

a bold woman indeed

Volkerball posted:

a public service announcement, from football fuckerman

imo the only thing you should do if you don't understand it is post

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I believe you're referring to #50, starting linebacker and noted very good and smart player AJ Hawk. And you assume to much by suggesting he made the choice to rush the ball carrier instead of dropping back. I don't think he was aware of a receiver behind him

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Russell Wilson is basically a tubby suburban dad who thinks Longhorn Steakhouse is the pinnacle of restaurantery and is fascinated by Ron Paul, placed inside of a kinda black man's body

Russell Wilson knows what time local radio does the traffic and weather and tunes in every day and has a preset for the bass/treble so he can hear Holly Copter's voice perfectly

Russell Wilson hates the smell of weed

Russell Wilson buys the Seventh Generation dish soap because the Gulf of Mexico is all kinds of hosed up because of chemicals

Russell Wilson doesn't give money to the homeless because that would be enabling a lifestyle that is damaging for them. He has memorized the location of a nearby homeless shelter and he recites it to the poor people he passes on the street

Russell Wilson gets dismayed when his friends' dogs bark or whine which they do all the time because he reeks of cologne

Russell Wilson took ballroom dance lessons in college and manages to exhibit his talents every opportunity he gets

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
All the offensive linemen move a whole lot more than I would think they are allowed to move

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Febreeze posted:

Americans in general don't care if you can ball. We're stupid that way. Lawrence Taylor was (probably still is) a terrible human being but man, he could ball, so he's a god to football fans. Of course, it was the 80's. We might be in general less tolerant now, after all Ray Rice didn't get any looks after being reinstated, but that was probably because general perception was he couldn't ball no more.

Greg Hardy got signed despite what he did. Adrian Peterson whipped his child's balls bloody and you bet drat well he's gonna play now that he's reinstated. We haven't had a case of a convicted rapist yet, surprisingly, most either were just accused (big ben) or got off on bullshit technicalities (Perish Cox, who keeps finding work).

I think if a player got convicted of rape he'd probably have a difficult time finding work unless he was top 5-10 at his position. I certainly wouldn't put it past America to forgive a baller cuz he raped someone, we're stupid like that.

I think you're confusing an owner signing the player and fans accepting him. If Ray Rice got signed by a team we could find out whether fans would accept him, fans in Baltimore certainly had his back at first but fans of other teams took the opportunity to reject him and mock him. We'll see how fans respond to Adrian Peterson, but the fact that he's gonna play doesn't mean much. Lawrence Taylor hasn't been a god to football fans who know what rape is since 2011, and before that lots of people disapproved of the drug abuse

Also Perrish Cox didn't get off on a technicality, he got off on the most common rape defense there is

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
He's Kyrie Irving if Kyrie gets rushed back from this kneecap thing and then shreds all his ligaments and then gets rushed back from that and his head falls off

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
As a prospect RG3 might be more like Dirk maybe, in the sense that he had very rare skills and could play his position in a way that few guys did. I dunno I'm stretching my basketball knowledge at this point but imagine a guy who plays a given position but can offer you a lot of tools beyond the typical player at that position. So like a point guard who can drive really well or a big man like Dirk who can shoot from anywhere

Then imagine that guy hitting the NBA and just failing to do both the rare stuff and the basic stuff

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Cruel and Unusual posted:

It's called the "palpably unfair act," and it could also be called if, for instance, someone who's not in the game runs onto the field to make a touchdown-saving tackle. Baseball and hockey call it "making a travesty of the game," which sounds much cooler.

yeah but if they called it that in the nfl the browns would be perpetually penalized

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
john riggins brain is a spiderweb

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
the effort of trying to get past someone is a lot greater than the effort of trying to stop them. so on pass plays especially, DL are just trying harder, and all OL have to do is remain in front of them and contain them. yeah, that can be really hard against good DL, but it's not as exhausting.

then on run plays, there's things like pursuit that wear down DL more than OL. if the running back gets past the line of scrimmage, DL are expected to turn and pursue him; OL are not necessarily expected to fly down the field and throw another block

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
And yet racism at American sports events is far less prevalent. You could say it...pales in comparison??

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

El Seano posted:

Just quick fire what can you tell me about these players:

Barkevious Mingo

EJ Manuel

Alec Ogletree

Quinton Coples

Trent Richardson

Justin Blackmon

Richardson showed he had power but no vision or elusiveness

Mingo is quite small and lacks power but has good drive and contributes on run D more than you'd think given he was playing under 230 pounds (4 stone and 13 kg if you're British)

EJ Manuel was quite bad

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
everything dies. that's a fact. maybe everything that dies someday comes back

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
the falcons are pretty middle of the road

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
That outcome was good. And Al Lerner saying he didn't blame the fans a bit was good too

• Locked thread