Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

"A local darby between amateur students" should be the title of every GDT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

MonsterUnderYourBed posted:

Thanks for that, you guys have been really helpful. So I guess you would usually use a squib kick if you think time will expire before the play is dead, or if you think your defence is a better chance to hold out for what time is left, than your kicking team is of blocking the return.
Exactly, they're used to neutralize dangerous kick returners, or when the kickoff will be the last play of a game still within reach for the receiving team. The tradeoff is you give up a better average field position for a lower chance of a touchdown on the return.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

It's often said the unspoken rule is that blockers can get away with grabbing the jersey or whatever as long as their hands stay inside, on the front of the defender's chest. It's when they move outside, like a hug or start grabbing onto limbs that holding gets called.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

OperaMouse posted:

What is a "tweener"?

Mentioned a lot during the draft period.

I think it's a guy who falls between the ideal pro sizes for two different positions. Like a college DE who isn't as big as NFL DEs should be and will likely move to OLB.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Punt returner also has to be not a goddamn moron and know when to fair catch, and I'm sure all of us have a shining example of someone from your team who could not achieve this.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

It's also more common in high school or youth leagues, where lower skill levels mean simple athleticism can be that much more effective -- just let the one guy on the team with a future be on the field as much as possible. Same reason so many college players who end up playing at another skill position or as a DB were actually high school QBs. The fact that a lot of them weren't exceptional passers wasn't as important as the fact that they were just the best athlete on the team, and the value of them touching the ball on every snap outweighed that.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

CannonFodder posted:

My Google-fu is weak, so I'm asking it here.

When an NCAA player has to sit out a year for academic reasons, and has already played a season, can they still (if available) use a redshirt for that season or does that count as one of the 4 years of eligibility? I thought of this during the Notre Dame game, because the announcers were nice enough to remind me why Gholston missed last year (academic eligibility).

Yeah, the redshirt year isn't required to be your first year on campus or anything. Works the same if you have to sit a year for transfer or injury.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Sash! posted:

A thought occurred to me:

Back in the days when you could tie in college ball, how common was 'playing for the tie?' Did ties negatively impact teams in the polls?
It was kinda a pro troll move in the right spots. Pat Dye infuriated Syracuse in the '88 ('87 season) Sugar Bowl by kicking a 30-yard field goal with one second left for a tie rather than risking a play for the win. Auburn already had a loss and didn't have a ton to gain from the win, but the tie was the only blemish on a perfect season for Syracuse and kept them from winning a natty.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Probably irrelevant to the pro game with direct headset communication to the QB but with "stealing signs" coming up a few times recently in the college game, I was wondering if anyone puts any real work into designing the signals teams use to call plays from the sidelines. The tradeoff between comprehensibility and security seems like a question for professionals but I can totally imagine coaching staffs just passing down whatever systems they learned when they played with just minor variations and no one involved has any real knowledge of cryptography. Seems like it wouldn't be that hard to get a grad student to cook up something sensible but does anyone actually do that?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah, we use those too, just wondering how sound they are in cryptographic terms or if everyone is just counting on the fact that no one on the other sideline is trying any harder than they are.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Grifter posted:

How powerful are recruiting rankings in terms of being predictive of NCAA football team successes?
Here's a good examination. The correlation is undeniable, but college football is too weird, even the unbeatable teams too beatable, to preemptively crown a team based solely on that.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

NFL rules posted:

ROUGHING THE PASSER
Article 13
Because the act of passing often puts the quarterback (or any other player attempting a pass) in a position where he is particularly vulnerable to injury, special rules against roughing the passer apply.
and the rule refers to "passer" throughout. I'd guess HBs throwing on a trick play might get slightly less protection in reality than golden boy QBs but just for unconscious reasons, not by rule.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

SkunkDuster posted:

I assume there isn't a rule against it, but is there any good reason why a team wouldn't want to run up the score?
Once the game is in hand there's value in benching starters to protect them from injury while giving backups live-ball experience. It's also widely considered unsportsmanlike, though everyone has different definitions of how much is too much and what sort of playcalls and personnel would constitute an unseemly attempt to score. This isn't just a point of sportsmanship in college, where top teams' fates were determined by the subjective opinions of poll voters in the past and are now by playoff committee members. Some bluenoses actually got so offended by it that the BCS prohibited the computer formulas it used for a portion of its rankings from considering margin of victory.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Does the draft clock ever run out on anybody?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

You ever see a dude in a pink shirt that says "FIGHT BREAST CANCER" and then you look closer and below that it says "CAUSE I LOVE SUCKIN' ON THEM TITTAYS"? The NFL is that in corporate form.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

e: nm, I'm dumb

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Makes me curious, how much do teams spend on an actual gameday jersey?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Are the draft grades college underclassmen get from the NFL advisory board usually pretty accurate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah that's not a flag on the field type penalty, that's a Spygate or Deflategate kind of scandal.

• Locked thread