Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

football fuckerman posted:

She took Baltimore, and she gave you seven points? Or you gave her seven? If you said "Patriots by seven or more" then you owe her, if not then she owes you, either way don't make bets you don't understand imo

a public service announcement, from football fuckerman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Benny the Snake posted:

She said Ravens by seven or more

a bold woman indeed

Volkerball posted:

a public service announcement, from football fuckerman

imo the only thing you should do if you don't understand it is post

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Do teams have a luxury box reserved for the opposing teams owners, or do owners not usually go to away games?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Whether or not they go probably depends on the owner (I think Jerry Jones goes to every Cowboys game), but yeah I'm pretty sure they have reserved boxes.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Thanks this is helpful. Also I didn't see that Alabama play they have linked before, that was awesome.

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

How much input does a coordinator get if the head coach comes from his side of the ball? As in, does your DC really make a difference if you have a defensive HC?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Lazerbeam posted:

How much input does a coordinator get if the head coach comes from his side of the ball? As in, does your DC really make a difference if you have a defensive HC?

It depends on how the HC is handling thing. Some are very involved in the defense and even call their plays (e.g. Rex Ryan) while others let their DC call the plays (e.g. Belichick). But the HC will select his DC so that he conforms with his idea/philosophy of the defense and will probably give him more input compared to the other side of the ball.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
I'd be super interested on an effortpost about the interplay between HC/OC/DC and how playcalling works at both NCAA and NFL levels, the responsibilities of the coordinators versus where the HC comes in, how coaching hierarchies work in general, etc etc. that'd be cool. or if anyone knows a good book. yes I've read walsh's book, the PDF version that's around is a pain in the rear end though because the formatting is fubar but there's no goddamn way I'm paying the $100+ it costs for a physical copy. is there any particular reason it's never gotten a reprint

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

wheez the roux posted:

I'd be super interested on an effortpost about the interplay between HC/OC/DC and how playcalling works at both NCAA and NFL levels, the responsibilities of the coordinators versus where the HC comes in, how coaching hierarchies work in general, etc etc. that'd be cool. or if anyone knows a good book. yes I've read walsh's book, the PDF version that's around is a pain in the rear end though because the formatting is fubar but there's no goddamn way I'm paying the $100+ it costs for a physical copy. is there any particular reason it's never gotten a reprint

The ting is that it varies greatly from team to team, or rather from coach to coach. For instance, some head coaches do very little in terms of playcalling, but will dictate the overall pace (long dirves by running vs. shorter ones passing, etc.). Sometimes the playcalling is even more specialized than that. In college a lot of times the offensive playcalling is split between two coaches. One will call the running game and the other the passing game. Typically its the OC calling passing and the OL coach running the ground game, with the OC deciding whether to keep it on the ground or throw it. Still, some places the OC alone does everything. Its very different from place to place with lots of people, including the players giving input. The biggest problem is when you have a long line of communication and the QB only gets the actual playcall with a dwindling playclock, who still has to relay it to the offense, survey the defense, make adjustments and actually snap the ball. Its actually pretty amazing when you think about it that all this stuff is conveyed in 40 seconds. That is one of the advantages to the no huddle offense. Its a simplified offense, but each person can identify what they need to do with no communication. The trick is getting everyone on the same page.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

I mean I sorta figured it was something like that. With so many different coaching styles, personalities, philosophies, etc there's never going to be one set way, just like any other group work with bosses and managers. I guess what I'm really looking for is a book or article examining the full coaching unit of different teams in the NCAA or NFL. for instance, how did the 2001 pariots coaching staff operate including practice and offseason preparation, drawing up plays, practices, gameday responsibilities, playcalling hierarchy, and everything that goes into all of it. it'd be super interesting to look at famous teams/staffs through history

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

wheez the roux posted:

I mean I sorta figured it was something like that. With so many different coaching styles, personalities, philosophies, etc there's never going to be one set way, just like any other group work with bosses and managers. I guess what I'm really looking for is a book or article examining the full coaching unit of different teams in the NCAA or NFL. for instance, how did the 2001 pariots coaching staff operate including practice and offseason preparation, drawing up plays, practices, gameday responsibilities, playcalling hierarchy, and everything that goes into all of it. it'd be super interesting to look at famous teams/staffs through history

I don't think (at least I don't know) of a book that contrasts the different organizations in the way you describe, so you will probably have to select some organizations about which books have been written. Michael Holley has written two bestsellers on the Patriots, "Patriots Reign" and "War Room" that should give you a good insight into that organization.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

GaussianCopula posted:

I don't think (at least I don't know) of a book that contrasts the different organizations in the way you describe, so you will probably have to select some organizations about which books have been written. Michael Holley has written two bestsellers on the Patriots, "Patriots Reign" and "War Room" that should give you a good insight into that organization.

Yeah, that level of access is tough to come by for a single team, let alone several. That is probably the biggest single obstacle for a book like that.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Collision Low Crossers is a really good book about the the 2011 Jets and if you're interested in that kind of thing it's the best I've read.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I have a medical question for Swickles, though someone else may be able to answer it. A lot of football players take human growth hormone. My girl has some relatives who are taking human growth hormone in an attempt to not look like lawn gnomes. Are these two different strains of HGH, or are there 30 year old football players going from 6'1" to 6'3"? (I know nothing about HGH because I am an appropriately sized human being and not cool enough to be a pro athlete)

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Chichevache posted:

I have a medical question for Swickles, though someone else may be able to answer it. A lot of football players take human growth hormone. My girl has some relatives who are taking human growth hormone in an attempt to not look like lawn gnomes. Are these two different strains of HGH, or are there 30 year old football players going from 6'1" to 6'3"? (I know nothing about HGH because I am an appropriately sized human being and not cool enough to be a pro athlete)

HGH won't make a person taller once their growth plates are gone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphyseal_plate

OneTruePecos fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 18, 2015

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

What's the reasoning between the NCAAF "clock stops on the first down until the ball is marked ready" and the NFL "clock just runs."

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Sash! posted:

What's the reasoning between the NCAAF "clock stops on the first down until the ball is marked ready" and the NFL "clock just runs."

In NCAA it is to give time for the chains to move. Basically not to punish teams who are trying to conserve clock for an administrative think that has to happen. The NFL got rid of it to make games shorter I believe.

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

It depends on how the HC is handling thing. Some are very involved in the defense and even call their plays (e.g. Rex Ryan) while others let their DC call the plays (e.g. Belichick). But the HC will select his DC so that he conforms with his idea/philosophy of the defense and will probably give him more input compared to the other side of the ball.

swickles posted:

The ting is that it varies greatly from team to team, or rather from coach to coach. For instance, some head coaches do very little in terms of playcalling, but will dictate the overall pace (long dirves by running vs. shorter ones passing, etc.). Sometimes the playcalling is even more specialized than that. In college a lot of times the offensive playcalling is split between two coaches. One will call the running game and the other the passing game. Typically its the OC calling passing and the OL coach running the ground game, with the OC deciding whether to keep it on the ground or throw it. Still, some places the OC alone does everything. Its very different from place to place with lots of people, including the players giving input. The biggest problem is when you have a long line of communication and the QB only gets the actual playcall with a dwindling playclock, who still has to relay it to the offense, survey the defense, make adjustments and actually snap the ball. Its actually pretty amazing when you think about it that all this stuff is conveyed in 40 seconds. That is one of the advantages to the no huddle offense. Its a simplified offense, but each person can identify what they need to do with no communication. The trick is getting everyone on the same page.

Thanks guys, I have a new question though:

In last night's IND @ NE game, how was the NE offensive tackle an eligible receiver when he wasn't on the end of the line or in the backfield? The commentator said something about "reporting".

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Lazerbeam posted:

Thanks guys, I have a new question though:

In last night's IND @ NE game, how was the NE offensive tackle an eligible receiver when he wasn't on the end of the line or in the backfield? The commentator said something about "reporting".

Basicly the numbers of players denote if they are eligible to catch passes by default, with lineman having numbers that are not elgible and recievers/rb/qb/te being eligible. But a player can go to the ref and tell him "I'm going to be eligible/not eligible" and than the ref tells it the defense.

For every play you have to have atleast 5 players on the line, and 2 eligible recievers covering them (that means standing on the line too). All other recievers have to stand behind the line of scrimage (in the slot) or in the backfield. In a regular formation you have the Center (C) 2 guard (G) and 2 tackles(T) as ineligible recievers looking somewhat like this:

WR TGCGT WR

The trick is now to shift your line by letting the left WR go into the slot and adding a TE/RB on the right side who reports as ineligible reciever while your left tackle reports as eligible, thereby allowing him to catch balls. That looks something like this:

(T*)GCGT (RB*) WR
WR QB

If the defense doesn't recognize the shift they wont have a player covering the eligible tackle (T*) who runs for an easy TD.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Lazerbeam posted:

To add on to what Gaussian said if you're right and he wasn't on the end of the line and wasn't in the backfield it was a blown call and he should have been ineligible even if he reported.

If you're talking about the Solder TD it looks like Lafell or whoever the receiver is at the bottom of the screen is lined up off the line, so Solder was the end. It's pretty standard for receivers to look at the linesman on their side of the field and let them know if they intend to line up on or off the line, the ref will let them know if they need to step up or back. I'd imagine the guy would have been careful about that on a play like this.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 19, 2015

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I'd be interested to know the grade given to that call. I'd probably have wanted the receiver another step back, especially in the context of it being a trick play. (I'd also like to know whether NFL philosophies consider tackle-eligible to be trick plays!)

But yeah, what we have here is an example of someone who is in a slightly ambiguous position, and the wing official is ruling him in the place that makes the formation legal. This happens numerous times in every game and usually, nobody notices.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Let's take a look at the Seahawk's trick FG play from last night:

You see #60 on the Packers come out to go after the fake quarterback, instead of dropping back to cover the guy that ends up catching the ball. Now, since the line of scrimmage was around the 20 yard line, doesn't it make a hundred times more sense to ALWAYS drop back to cover the receiver and NOT go after the QB until he crosses the line of scrimmage?

He got burned so loving bad. Also who didn't see that coming knowing Pete Carroll and him having nothing to lose.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I believe you're referring to #50, starting linebacker and noted very good and smart player AJ Hawk. And you assume to much by suggesting he made the choice to rush the ball carrier instead of dropping back. I don't think he was aware of a receiver behind him

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

Grittybeard posted:

If you're talking about the Solder TD it looks like Lafell or whoever the receiver is at the bottom of the screen is lined up off the line, so Solder was the end. It's pretty standard for receivers to look at the linesman on their side of the field and let them know if they intend to line up on or off the line, the ref will let them know if they need to step up or back. I'd imagine the guy would have been careful about that on a play like this.

Yeah that's it, thanks a ton guys

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

football fuckerman posted:

I believe you're referring to #50, starting linebacker and noted very good and smart player AJ Hawk. And you assume to much by suggesting he made the choice to rush the ball carrier instead of dropping back. I don't think he was aware of a receiver behind him

Huh? That looks like #60 to me on that play.

:edit: I guess there is no #60. That really looks like 50 to me but I'm wrong.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jan 20, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

FIRST TIME posted:

Huh? That looks like #60 to me on that play.

:edit: I guess there is no #60. That really looks like 50 to me but I'm wrong.

It was Hawk. Can't see numbers for crap in a GIF

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
Relating to the eligible/ineligible stuff, like on a short and goal situation, do teams name random linemen eligible, even if they just run it? It just seems like you would have to do that otherwise the times you actually send a lineman as a receiver would be really obvious.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

turbomoose posted:

Relating to the eligible/ineligible stuff, like on a short and goal situation, do teams name random linemen eligible, even if they just run it? It just seems like you would have to do that otherwise the times you actually send a lineman as a receiver would be really obvious.

You have to declare that somebody with a number between 50-79 is eligible in order to have six linemen on the field, regardless of what play you are going to run. Usually teams send in a third tackle.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I assume there isn't a rule against it, but is there any good reason why a team wouldn't want to run up the score?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

SkunkDuster posted:

I assume there isn't a rule against it, but is there any good reason why a team wouldn't want to run up the score?

Pulling your starters keeps them from getting injured and gives reps to the backups.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SkunkDuster posted:

The NFL doesn't operate on BCS polls.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

SkunkDuster posted:

Once the game is in hand there's value in benching starters to protect them from injury while giving backups live-ball experience. It's also widely considered unsportsmanlike, though everyone has different definitions of how much is too much and what sort of playcalls and personnel would constitute an unseemly attempt to score. This isn't just a point of sportsmanship in college, where top teams' fates were determined by the subjective opinions of poll voters in the past and are now by playoff committee members. Some bluenoses actually got so offended by it that the BCS prohibited the computer formulas it used for a portion of its rankings from considering margin of victory.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SkunkDuster posted:

Some of it is professional courtesy. Humiliating opponents tends to make them want to do the same to you when they get the chance. Lots of young coaches think running up the score is awesome until they're on the receiving end of it a few times, then they realize it's not quite so cool.

Also, players get frustrated and will tend to foul deliberately and cause injuries and start fights when they're incapable of stopping the other team legally. It's generally better not to provoke such reactions in the first place.

When it's clear to everyone that you're the better team and could score at will, it doesn't really gain you anything to go ahead and do it. It just makes you look like an rear end in a top hat, like beating up on a cripple.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Running up the score is a dumb thing for moronic college football fans to complain about along with "classiness" and violations of NCAA rules.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

running up the score loving owns and should be done whenever you have the chance unless it's some truly pathetic FCS school and even then there are exceptions

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The Bengals clearly did it against I think the Browns, and I don't remember it even being mentioned by anyone. There was like a minute left, up 14 or so, and came out throwing the ball and got another TD.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

wheez the roux posted:

running up the score loving owns and should be done whenever you have the chance unless it's some truly pathetic FCS school and even then there are exceptions

If the Packers had done it they might be in the Super Bowl. Always go for the kill.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Its also boring to be on the winning end of it. You disengage kill mode when you're basically savaging a corpse.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Sash! posted:

Its also boring to be on the winning end of it. You disengage kill mode when you're basically savaging a corpse.

gently caress that no its not, loving the broncos lifeless corpse is one of the most satisfying football memories of my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

wheez the roux posted:

gently caress that no its not, loving the broncos lifeless corpse is one of the most satisfying football memories of my life

With professionals, I have no problem running up the score. They're paid to be out there. There's enough parity among the teams that they should be able to mount some sort of defense regardless of the situation.

I draw the line with amateurs. There are often huge disparities in talent, and many players are still learning the game. College, High School, and youth ball are the Not Cool zone for running up the score for me.

• Locked thread