Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Dey Yah posted:

I know they occasionally have Co-MVPs in the NFL, but a quick check of Wiki shows that there's never been a co-DPotY. If, say JJ Watt and Aldon Smith both get the sack record this season, is there a chance that they could split that? Is that something that they can do?

I believe it's just a matter of luck, if the votes end up in a tie then you have co-whatevers. I don't think a voter can split his vote and say both guys are #1 for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
On the route running I think another thing is we tend to just assume people can do it well if they work at it. After all it's a learned skill, at least to a greater degree than being tall or fast is. So we tend to compare everyone against whoever the best is we've seen at it, and we naturally get disappointed in them.

For instance comparing Jerry Rice to any other receiver probably isn't going to work out too well for the other guy.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Todd Marinovich's first two games were against the Chiefs in one of those things. I remember the announcers wouldn't shut the gently caress up about him in the first game despite the Chiefs being ahead (and I was young enough for that type of thing to bother me back then), then he was horrible the next week at Arrowhead.

From wiki:

quote:

He did not start a game until Jay Schroeder was injured before the final week of the season, where he impressed observers with 23 completions in 40 passes for 243 yards against the Kansas City Chiefs in a close loss.[1] Because of this great debut he started the following week against the Chiefs in the playoffs, but was very poor, throwing for just 140 yards with 4 interceptions in a 10-6 loss and smashing a locker room mirror with his helmet after the game.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I was going to say I'd try to implement the flexbone but it's pretty much a souped up veer so it wouldn't have been all that different back then :(

The 46 defense might be an interesting choice to introduce early on the other side of the ball.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
They all think they're going to do this basically.

Actually it seems rare for the team that went ahead that late in the game to kick off normally, it seems like they squib kick more often than not.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Vaya con Dios!!! posted:

Forgive me if this has been answered before: "getting to the second level" in blocking refers to what? Also, is there a breakdown of O-line and D-line techniques available anywhere?

As I understand it second and third level blocks are those occurring down field. It's not necessarily as simple as down linemen are first level and linebackers are second level, it's more of a take care of or check your initial assignment and move on to to the next one. Someone jump in if that is incorrect.

On D Line techs this seems to agree with what I know about the subject if we're talking about the same thing.

e: I ask if we're talking about the same thing because if you're wondering how exactly to teach or play the position that won't really tell you.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 10, 2013

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Jesus apparently I need a refresher on reading threads. I'll leave my useful edit

rjmccall posted:

I'm arguing a pretty obscure point, which is that I don't think (b) can ever technically apply, because it looks like a receiver who goes out of bounds (unless illegally forced out) is automatically an ineligible receiver. So it's definitely a foul (and I think we've all seen it called before), it's just because of (a) (receiver is ineligible), not (b).

e: Oh I missed the earlier discussion. Well rulebooks are weird things, a little redundancy isn't necessarily terrible.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 29, 2013

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

euphronius posted:

What is 3 tech and 5 tech. I assume they refer to DTs. Are these terms new? I have not seem them before this month.

Here you go:

Grittybeard posted:

On D Line techs this seems to agree with what I know about the subject if we're talking about the same thing.

Specifically 3 techs line up on the outside shoulder of the guard, 5 techs head up on the tackle. There's more info in that article.

e: Huh this seems to disagree slightly with that link. So I'm back to not knowing I guess.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
As far as the lineman technique (which technically is all it is) there's a good deal of talk about that subject in general on the last page. Basically wide 9 is lining up on the outside shoulder of the tight end, generally they're expected to speed rush the QB most of the time.

As far as how defenses are schemed to try to make sure that isn't a liability against the run I'm not sure if I've seen a good write up about that.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
1. Not definitively I don't think, you can probably figure out when the AFCE gets the NFCN next but it would depend on the previous year's finish.
2. That's probatable these days I believe and never because you don't enter the HoF with a particular team. Or you could look at it as 2016 when he'll enter as a Packer (and Falcon, Jet and Viking).

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

KettleWL posted:

The inter-conference match ups have nothing to do with previous years finishes, and actually the inter divisional within the same conference match ups home/away aren't determined by previous record, just the 2 games of the schedule matching you with the other teams that finished with your ranking in their respective divisions changes.

The Dolphins play the Packers in GB in 2018, so some time after Brett Favre is inducted to the Hall of Fame, unless he decides to come back again/

Huh did that change at some point? I remember trying to figure this out a long time ago for some matchup or other, I guess it's entirely possible I just screwed up.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Cloud the Cat posted:

I was thinking Buffalo Bills because they have a kick rear end name, not a clue as to their performance or standing though!

Both of those are...pretty bad. They've been terrible since the '90s.

Having said that: unless you'll give up the game if the team you choose isn't good just go with whoever you want I'd say. There are reasons for every team to hope including the Bills (even if it probably won't work out in the end).

e: If you want a good team that you won't be seen as a bandwagoner for following the Bengals should be pretty good, they've been improving for the last few years but aren't really there yet. As a bonus you get an owner who's really worth hating, which is a proud NFL fan tradition.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 6, 2013

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MustLoveContras posted:

Question for you football experts: Just how good do you think Sam Bradford will end up being? Is there any other QB you would compare him to?

There was some Rams chat this week in N/V starting here. Gendo's post probably has the most actual analysis.

Basically if it wasn't for the contract people wouldn't be as down on them as they are in my opinion. He doesn't seem to be a world beater or anything but he's had close to Gabbert levels of help his first few years.

OperaMouse posted:

What exactly is the difference between "helping the runner," which is a foul, and "driving the pile?"

I honestly don't know, short of literally picking up the guy and running with him it just seems like one of those rules that is never ever called. I guess it prevents weird things like having a guy kneel down in the backfield on goal line carries so the RB can use him like a ramp maybe?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Someone who knows better than me will hopefully pop in (and if I'm wrong on any of this correct me), but to get the obvious part out of the way most NFL offenses are run primarily from under center. This is changing a bit now as the Pistol formation starts to make it's way into the league and everyone at least has a shotgun package, but if you've only very rarely had to take a drop from under center in college it is something new you will have to learn. Occasionally you'll hear about a guy who has trouble just taking the snap cleanly. It's supposed to be easier to read defenses from the shotgun pre-snap and probably is since you're a little farther away/able to see more at once, so learning to do that from under center is also an issue.

As to the benefits of running an offense under center vs the shotgun I've always heard that it's supposed to be easier to disguise whether you're going to run/what type of run it will be on any given play--and from there the play action passing game. From your classic Shotgun look with the halfback lined up to the left of the QB you probably won't see many straight up off tackle runs to the left because it's awkward to make that hand off for instance, or vice versa if the HB is on the other side. How big of a deal this really is I have no idea, but that's part of how I've heard it explained. The Pistol mitigates this to some extent, either almost completely or barely depending on if whoever you're listening to is bragging about it or criticizing it.

I believe there is some argument about just how valid the criticism is when scouting college QBs by the way. Lots of QBs from spread shotgun offenses have failed in the NFL but...well most of them fail anyway no matter what they ran in college.

e: I type all slow.

Another thing worth noting is that even if we were able to prove somehow that a spread look from the shotgun was undoubtedly the best way to run an offense most coaches wouldn't change unless we'd been dominating the league like that for years (preferably with an average quarterback) because almost all of them are conservative by nature. I don't mean conservative in a football sense exactly, but they wouldn't be used to the idea and would probably stick to what worked for them in the past.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 14, 2013

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Iron_Chef posted:

If I'm to believe the movie classic "The Last Boyscout" then "Friday night is a great night for football!". Why then is the game scheduling Thursday night, all day Sunday and Monday night? The potential for a team to have a Monday-Thursday turn around seems like the short end of the stick.

It works out pretty well for me viewing wise however with live games in the late morning on Fridays, Mondays and Tuesdays!

The NFL can't play on Fridays or Saturdays during the high school and college football seasons by law as I understand it, wiki has this in the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961 article.

quote:

The law has been interpreted to include the so-called "blackout rules" which protect a home team from competing games broadcast into its home territory on a day when it is playing a game at home, and from having to broadcast games within its home market area that have not sold out. It also, in effect, protects high school football and college football game attendance by blacking out pro football games locally on Friday evenings and Saturdays during those sports' regular seasons; these measures effectively outlawed the broadcasting (and, in practice, the playing) of NFL games on those days, since virtually all of the country is within 75 miles of at least one high school game on every Friday night in September and October.

In addition to that Friday's traditionally a pretty bad night for TV.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Febreeze posted:

So I've always wondered this but where did the term "homer" like "Patriots homer" come from, exactly? TFF is the only place I've seen the term used and I always thought it had something to do with the Simpsons but never actually knew.

Hmm, that's an interesting question. I've definitely heard it outside of SAS/TFF/the internet but I have no idea how far back the term goes. I figured it was an accepted colloquialism but I can't find anything on a quick search better than urban dictionary backing this up.

I'm fairly confident it has nothing to do with the Simpsons for whatever that's worth, that seems like a different usage.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sash! posted:

Then why not TEX which...is just plain more obvious.

Dallas Texans I'd guess.

e: Nope they're DTX

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Lazerbeam posted:

Thanks, I have a rough idea of how the end of the season will go down now. When does the thread about top college prospects usually pop up on TFF?

Bewbies usually puts that together, I think he said he was working on it.

That doesn't mean you should expect it to pop up today or whatever though, he really goes all out on those things.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CannonFodder posted:

What about a 3-4 defense?

I think Jack is the most common one (along with Mike, Will and Sam), but I've heard Joker too. From strong to weakside they'd line up Sam, Mike, Will, and Jack.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yup, that's the one. They'll generally be the ones sent to rush the passer although obviously that's not always the case.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Huh, according to this and some other stuff Joker can refer to any hybrid type. So Jack is probably the correct term for the fourth LB in a 3-4.

quote:

These players with mutating roles are often known as “Jokers:”

The H-Back.
The strong side linebacker used as an open side defensive end.
The 3-4 outside linebacker in a zone-blitz scheme.
The running back/slot receiver.
The safety/corner.
The defensive tackle/defensive end.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

StoicFnord posted:

Thanks for that. I am aware i don't have the exposure to gridiron i want to, so every small titbit helps.

Just in case you haven't seen these here are a couple of examples of good lateral plays in American football:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfebpLfAt8g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8O4fdNJtU8 (watch this to the end)

Most of them look like this though (warning--Benny Hill music):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5O5V7-PcLE

Honestly that's a lie, most of them get blown up right away, like the first or second pitch gets screwed up and everyone dives on the ball.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Huh, didn't realize there was a rule on that. Makes a sort of sense, you don't want the bench to be completely swarmed I guess. It is worth noting that being a coach doesn't necessarily mean that you're on the sideline during games.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SkunkDuster posted:

What factors do teams consider when deciding if they want to defend left or right after the coin toss? Seems to me like it wouldn't make any difference since they switch every quarter.

Wind and either open sides of the stadium or student sections/louder parts of the stadium would be the big things I'd think. How you'd choose to deal with those can vary though. Like you might want to kick off at the beginning with the wind at your back hoping to force them to punt into it or you might want the wind at your back in the 4th quarter in case of a late field goal attempt.

If you know or think one side of the stadium is louder you'd probably want to be driving towards the other side in the 2nd and 4th quarters, hoping that it'll be a little easier to communicate. Since that's when you're more likely to be in a hurry and all.

Most of the time you're right though, it doesn't make much difference.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sash! posted:

I've always thought that was stupid.

I went to bowl games to go to Bowl Games. I don't give a poo poo if there's...anything other than a place to sleep and a bowl game.

It seems like you should realize by this point that you should voluntarily remove yourself from conversations about what the average fan might do. Warm places in January and February are (seemingly) obviously a nice idea for fans, although I admit the Super Bowl should be a big enough event to overcome that.

e: Of course screw all journalists complaining about that type of thing forever

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Here's a gif:

There's video of the play at this link.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Basil Hayden posted:

I watch almost all of my football on lovely internet streams anyway so this isn't really a big deal for me.

The Browns suggestion fits in with your other football interests.

So uh...I'd suggest not picking them.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SkunkDuster posted:

Was there some change to the length of the season in the 90s where they added a week? I seem to remember something changed to allow all teams (instead of just some teams) to have bye-weeks but the logic of that doesn't make sense.

There was never a situation where only some teams had bye weeks unless I'm remembering completely wrong. The season length changes I remember are adding an off week before the super bowl, incorporating byes and getting rid of that off week, then adding the off week back in.

Well unless you want to go back to adding in 2 more games in the late 70s.

Oh wait there was an uneven number of teams for a couple of years during expansion, that's what you're thinking of and I'm forgetting. The Browns came back in and things weren't even until the Texans came in.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I've wondered about that a lot too and I don't have a better answer that drunk leprechaun's guess. Although it does seem easier for those three backed up protectors to shift to one side if you're doing one of those rugby style kicks without having to give any indication that's happening pre-snap. As I understand it those help mask a weak leg so the NFL hasn't bothered to mess around with them much.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Officially vacation or go home other than OTAs (a few practices sprinkled sometime after the draft) up until training camp. These days everyone tends to keep up their training to stay in shape at least and you'll hear about some guys getting together to do drills on their own or whatever.

e: vv--oh yeah forgot about the minicamp

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 6, 2014

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

skaboomizzy posted:

The Patriots just kicked off from the 50 due to a penalty on/after their conversion. I would imagine each NFL team gets to do this four or five times a season. Does any team ever try to just pop it up in that situation so it has to be fielded at about the 5-yard line and the returner is immediately tackled or has to fair-catch?

Yeah this happens sometimes, in my opinion it's better to just kick it out of the stadium and not mess with it but it can work.

SkunkDuster posted:

Can punters influence the bounce of the ball? Like get it to stop dead or bounce deep if the returning team decides not to field it?

I don't think anyone answered this, but yeah punters can influence this and there are different things they practice to try to get the ball to stick/roll back or keep rolling forward. It's easier said than done obviously, but it is a thing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Before the last 5 minutes of either half (I believe, it might be 2 minutes in the first half) out of bounds clock stoppages are only until the ball is set. After that point it's stopped until the snap.

Another thing you might notice is the clock running when someone runs out of bounds going backwards, you have to be attempting to gain yards while going out of bounds in order to get a stoppage.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
That's pretty awesome isn't it? Screw that broadcaster for getting to see it live twice, and screw the NFL for blowing the whistle dead after a block or turnover on an extra point.

Here's the first one he was talking about by the way. No one has any idea at all what is going on here and they're all completely sure the refs screwed up.

e: So to explain further in case someone doesn't get what's going on. In college ball you can return a blocked extra point or two point try turnover for two points yourself (in the NFL the ball is immediately dead if the offense loses possession). So if you get the ball in the field of play and then for whatever reason go back into the end zone you're defending and get tackled there it's a one point safety.

In theory I believe you could get a one point safety on the kicking team, but it would take a ridiculous play where the ball is turned over, run all the way down the field by the defense, then fumbled close the goal line and picked up by the offense in the field of play and then run back into their own end zone. So you could have a 20-1 final score in a perfect storm of weird rear end poo poo happening.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 19, 2014

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kaiho posted:

edit: I missed the fact that the kicking team got an off-side penalty. I assume without that they'd have to turn it over?

I didn't see the play but the way you've described it yeah that would be a turnover without the penalty.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This doesn't really answer your question but the A-11 was a pretty fun idea.

e: Couple of plays

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 12, 2014

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

turbomoose posted:

Going along with that, there are also cases where you can have multiple redshirt years.

It's not common but it happens, usually when someone redshirts for a normal reason and then gets a medical redshirt for injury later on.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Ray Rice was a pretty big story anyway, it just blew up into an amazingly huge one when the video inside the elevator was released. I think Peterson would have gotten quite a bit of attention because he's such a huge star, although we wouldn't have gotten to the point where sponsors get involved.

Dwyer seems like the exact type of story that would be quietly swept under the rug if none of the other stuff happened. Not a star, no video involved, incident happened in July and was reported to the police last week if I'm reading things right. Maybe a 2 or 3 game suspension depending on how bad the facts are, maybe nothing. There'd be a few stories but only the people who really pay attention would notice or care.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Dramatika posted:

Not really getting what you're trying to say here... why wouldn't it be safer? Unless you insist on dunking the ball over the goalpost and it falls on you, but hey, there're rules against that already

He's talking about the stadium in general, like, flip the camera around and see how much room there is from the back of the end zone to a wall.

The Kibbie Dome is fun in a dumb way but...not good.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'd imagine you have to go back to your own sideline, but the rules thread will probably answer this better than I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

turbomoose posted:

Quick question, when receivers line up outside, they often look and point to the sideline. I always assumed that it was them just checking with the refs on the sidelines that they lined up onside. Is there a reason for that behavior?

They're checking to see if they're lined up on the line or not, you need to have seven on the line to avoid an illegal formation penalty with the guys who are on the outside being eligible receivers. Sometimes you'll see a tight end go in motion, step up and wave the receiver to his outside to back up a step for the same reason.

I'd imagine the whole thing started because you don't have a tackle right next to you to line up on, so it just becomes a rote thing you do every play to make sure you're in the right place.

• Locked thread