Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
For a sec I thought that Metapod had forgotten the Titans, which would be truly incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm trying to imagine Donald Rumsfeld lighting someone up over the middle.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sharzak posted:

Oh. To hear my friends talk he's actually an amazing QB being unfairly blackballed from the league. I haven't been around for much of his pro career though.

What is their relationship with Christ?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

wooger posted:

I'm following the nfl seriously for the first time this year, and I've heard stories about the last game or two being very unpredictable as teams rest their best players for the postseason, or else have nothing to play for and may as well tank.

How much does this affect the results of the Week 17 games? If I attended a game in week 16 or 17, would I still see the stars on the pitch at all?

Depends on who's playing. There are usually some teams still fighting for playoff position or even a playoff spot. And some coaches will play starters regardless--I think Ron Rivera just said he's gonna play the Panthers' starters through the end of the season, although going for an undefeated year is a special circumstance.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sash! posted:

The whole system is a big zany in the first place anyhow. Observe these quarterbacks that Penn State has had:

2013-2015: Christian Hackenberg, 5* and #2 Pro-Style QB prospect. Aside from a good 2013 season was mediocre at best. Never won more than 7 games in a season.
2011-2012: Matt McGloin, unrated walk-on. After a rough start, turned out to be way better than you'd think, holds four team records and briefly served as Raiders starting QB. Went 8-4 in 2012, with several upsets, in a season that lots of people expected to be horrible.
2010-2011: Robert Bolden, 4* and a top ten QB with all the major recruiting sites. Was horrible, ended up as fourth string QB at LSU, and they tried to make him a WR. Eventually wound up at Western Michigan. Went 7-6 in 2010.
2008-2009: Daryll Clark, 3*. Won Big Ten Championship in 2008 and held five team records when he graduated. Beat out 4* and top five prospect Pat Devlin for starting job (Devlin never saw significant time and transferred to Delaware.) Went 22-4 as a starter.
2006-2007: Anthony Morelli, 5* and GOOD GRAVY the best ever on paper. Was an Elite 11 QB. Never really turned the corner and ended up being a serviceable, but not good, QB. 18-8 as a starter.
2005: Michael Robinson, couldn't even find what he was, but given his high school career he may have been 4*. Saw lots of action in 2003 and 2004, but wasn't starter and even played RB and WR as needed. Won the Big Ten championship (11-1 as full time starter), had a modest NFL career, went to the Pro Bowl once, caught a touchdown pass in a Super Bowl, has a ring.

Most of that is the opposite of what the stars would have suggested!

You're making Bolden sound better than he was--he actually ended up at EASTERN Michigan.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Serotonin posted:

Definitely going Falcons. Been watching season highlights this evening, and I'm liking their whole plucky underdog who sometimes play like world beaters then other times like they've never seen a football before. This is definitely my poo poo.

Plus their shirts cool and their stadium looks like R2 D2's anus.

The Goatse Dome hasn't opened yet. I think they start this season though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

El Seano posted:

So this is my first off-season since I started following the Giants/NFL and Jesus god I thought the NBA off-season was long. I must have read 20 different mock drafts, none of which seem to have the same player twice. It's to the point I wish the loving draft would just happen already and even then we've got another 3 months of waiting. A few questions:

1. Is there anything to look forward to in the gap between draft and pre-season?
No.

quote:

4. In terms of drafts should I give too much of a gently caress once they get past the 4th round? I mean I'm yet to see a mock draft that goes past the 4th which I'm taking as a sign nobody really cares.
4th and 5th round guys often make contributions as backups and if you're lucky can develop beyond that. 6th and especially 7th rounders might not even make the team.

quote:

5. It seems a pretty tough thing to watch also. The NBA draft is done in a night (well the meaningful part in a few hours) but the NFL draft goes on for three days? Do you guys watch the whole thing or just watch who your team selects?
Everyone watches the first round. Football nerds watch day 2 (although there are better options on a Friday night). Only serious junkies watch day 3. I might put it on as background noise because I'm a huge college fan and I like seeing where guys I watched end up.

It used to be the first three rounds on Saturday and last four on Sunday, but the league got greedy.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also Pittsburgh, Philly, Green Bay. Really most of America is racist so it's easy to find terrible people in every fanbase

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Chichevache posted:

Yes, kickers angle trajectories for longer punts, but that also increases the chance of a lineman getting a hand up to block it. Pro NFL kickers routinely make shots from 60+ yards in practice. In game situations they rarely go over 50 yards (though it has been increasing rapidly!).
In the pro game? You can't have an NFL career if you can't reliably hit from 50-55.

Also to answer the question, the longest in history is 64. If you're in Denver with the wind at your back and have a monster leg then in theory you could probably hit from 70, but if it didn't get blocked it would probably miss anyway.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Chichevache posted:

Uhhhh.... no. We are getting to the point where we are beginning to expect our kickers to make those shots. I don't think we are at the point where we have 32 guys (96 if you somehow have trouble finding a longsnapper and/or holder) who can reliably make those shots.

Steven Hauschka is one of the most accurate (and best) kickers in the league and he's barely over 60% from 50. He also turns down 50 yarders that he isn't confident he can make, which has saved Seattle's bacon a few times since we go back to the offense instead of just having special teams gently caress up a hopeless kick.

Maybe I'm spoiled because Jason Hanson was my team's kicker for literally my entire life until he retired a few years ago, and he had range to 56.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

El Seano posted:

How common is it for a team that was wrecking teams left and right last year in the Carolina Panthers to start out as bad as they have this year? What's gone wrong with them?

The Super Bowl loser failing to get back to even the playoffs is actually fairly common, IIRC.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

If you want to go waaaaaay the hell back they were a legit dynasty. Think Pats but more dominant, went to 10 straight Championship games between 1946 and 1955, winning 7. In the Super Bowl era it's been rough though, even when they were good they would go out of the playoffs in the most painful ways.

And of course since the franchise reboot they've just been awful.

e: well sorta 10 straight, the first 5 were in the AAFC which was a competing league to the NFL. They still went the first 5 years after they were admitted to the NFL.

The Browns and Lions were the dominant teams of the 50s. One day maybe we can return to that glorious time.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Additionally, Harbaugh is a petty rear end in a top hat who probably saw that Ohio State won 59-0 and wanted to one up them. He went for 2 when up by four touchdowns.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Shangri-Law School posted:

What was so cool about "The Drive" anyway? They didn't even win the Super Bowl that year. Is it more the Legend of John Elway or LOL Cleveland?

Yes

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

venutolo posted:

Off the top of my head, I guess I'd go with AJ Bouye, Aqib Talib, Chris Harris, Jalen Ramsey, Malcolm Butler, Xavier Rhodes, Marcus Peters? (Obviously this is all subjective.)

Darius Slay but he's hurt

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rent-a-Bot posted:

I was discussing football with my friend from Atlanta and I was wondering why have the Atlanta Falcons historically sucked as a football team?

Same reasons as anyone else? They've never really been flush with talent or great coaching. They managed to beat one of the best teams of all time to get to a Super Bowl but even then they had Chris Chandler at quarterback.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ron Jeremy posted:

Having not played myself I wondered how the defense was so much more tired for a given amount of play time than the offense.

Chasing people and reacting to their motions is more tiring than running a route or blocking assignment

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Touchbacks only come out to the 20 in the pros, but yeah in general it's usually the smarter move not to return it. It's also the most dangerous play in football so there have been changes made at all levels to decrease the number of returns.

Jameis Winston is considered a pretty good to middling quarterback in the pros. He was extremely good in college.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

EvilHawk posted:

Thought of something earlier today while listening to some podcasts.

There's talk in both NFL and college sports of scripted plays. I.e. the first 15-20 offensive plays would be planned and practised in advance, and after that point the offensive coordinator will open up the play book.

How does this work in practice? Do they literally have "First down after kick off - run this play"? What if they're unsuccessful and the play is stopped short/intercepted? Also, does the offence not practice the other plays during the week (I guess they focus on the scripted ones in short weeks and do the rest in byes/preseason)?

I don't think teams necessarily stick 100% to the script. Like if you were planning to run a first down dive play and wound up in a 3rd and 10 situation when it was supposed to come up then the coordinator is going to call a different play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ron Jeremy posted:

iirc, a sack is a tackle. So if the QB fumbled before being down by the LB, it's not a sack. Although, if the fumble is recovered by the defense, the LB is awarded a sack.

Pretty sure it would still be a sack if it was recovered by the offense. But I don't know if you can throw a recovered fumble.

• Locked thread