Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Barudak posted:

Given that for many teams the difference between a mediocre veteran and middling rookie are minimal expect lots of teams to start filling up on rookies on cheap contracts and trying to dump every non-lynchpin veteran on their roster.

The veteran minimum salary cap offset should fix this in the mediocre veteran zone (a veteran can get up to around a 50% salary cap discount).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

DrKennethNoisewater posted:

What are the rules for requiring NFL games for the local team to be broadcast on local stations? Specifically, if I live in the Twin Cities and the Vikings are playing on ESPN or NFLN, are they required to be on a local broadcast station (assuming no blackout)? They were on the local CBS affiliate for MNF - is that a requirement, or do the local stations just have the option to do so?

Looks like those travel with the preseason games.

quote:

Monday Night Football is currently aired on ESPN, and Thursday Night Football is broadcast on the NFL Network; however, in the markets of the participating teams, the respective cable channel is blacked out. The cable station's feed in the markets of the participating teams airs via broadcast syndication to an over-the-air station. Typically, the team's flagship station for the preseason games will hold such rights, as teams will usually sell the preseason and local ESPN/NFL Network games as one package. Only over-the-air stations in the market of the participating teams may bid on this syndicated package.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_on_television

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

THE MACHO MAN posted:

How exactly is cap hit determined

Oh, God, you don't know what you're asking. According to the latest CBA - http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/files/PDFs/General/2011_Final_CBA_Searchable_Bookmarked.pdf - you're looking at Article 13, which starts at page 90 and runs through page 108, and in particular Section 6 (Valuation of Player Contracts), from page 92 through the top of page 107. To grossly oversimplify (note that when I say "2014" and "2015", think of these as "this league year" and "a later league year"):

1) Start with the player's actual salary to be paid in 2014.
2) Move anything that will be earned in 2014 but paid later in 2015 into the hit for 2015. This is one source of dead money.
3) Add in any signing bonus, divided into each year of the contract (so for a 5 year contract, 1/5 of the signing bonus is applied to each year). Another source of dead money.
4) Note that if you cut a player, you accelerate all remaining years' worth of cap hits (so if you cut a player in year 1 of 5, in year 2 all of the remaining signing bonus is a cap hit).
5) Incentives are added into the cap immediately if "likely to be earned", otherwise at the end of the year.

It's how much the team would save for cutting that player. Note that because of the calculations above, it's entirely possible to have players that cost more against the cap if you cut them than if you just pay them to play.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Benne posted:

The cap rules are utterly impenetrable to me so kudos on that Over The Cap site for even attempting to make sense of it.

It's really not that bad at the core. At the core, it's salary for the year + a portion of your signing bonus. The key is that if you cut a player you're on the hook for the rest of their signing bonus immediately.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Waroduce posted:

I have Comcast, and want to be able to watch any NFL game, on tv preferably. What are my options? Is gamepass my only option to accomplish this? Its my understanding that the direct tv nfl ticket is like stream/device only.

Direct TV Sunday ticket can stream to a console (XBox 360/XBox One, PS3/PS4), a tablet, a phone, or a computer.

The computer or tablet/phone can potentially be connected to a TV.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

GeauxSteve posted:

My dad has DirecTV and I was wondering if I had him order NFL Sunday Ticket if I would be able to watch all the game I want on my ipad/game consoles and stuff even though I live out of state.

I believe so, but I've never had the satellite DTV, just the app and website (first with Madden and now just the internet only option).

Some limitations:
1) The apps will detect your location and not show you locally televised games. This applies where you are watching, not where your subscription is.
2) Sunday Ticket is only Sunday 1pm and 4pm games. For the night game you'll have to go to NBC's stream (I think they also have a console app), and you're out of luck Monday / Thursday (although those are obviously nationally televised).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

It's a special exception to the grounding rule.

(NFL)

quote:

RULE 8 FORWARD PASS, BACKWARD PASS, FUMBLE
SECTION 2 INTENTIONAL GROUNDING
ARTICLE 1. DEFINITION. It is a foul for intentional grounding if a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage because of
pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion. A realistic chance of completion is
defined as a pass that lands in the direction and the vicinity of an originally eligible receiver.
Item 3. Stopping Clock. A player under center is permitted to stop the game clock legally to save time if, immediately upon
receiving the snap, he begins a continuous throwing motion and throws the ball directly into the ground.
http://uaasnfl.blob.core.windows.net/live/1807/2015_nfl_rule_book_final.pdf

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

That is an excellently early leak of this year's NFL book. Usually you have to wait months until someone takes pity.

Leak? That link came from operations.nfl.com...
http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2015-nfl-rulebook/

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

swickles posted:

Would it be legal to go for 2 points, then do a drop kick for 1 point?

Not in the NFL.

11-3-1 posted:

The Try begins when the Referee sounds the whistle for play to start. The team that scored the touchdown shall put the ball in
play:
(a) anywhere on or between the inbound lines
(b) 15 yards from the defensive team’s goal line for a Try-kick
(c) two yards from the defensive team’s goal line for a Try by pass or run

skaboomizzy posted:

I think they banned the drop-kick PAT a few years ago because the NFL hates fun things.
It's still there. A PAT has to be a field goal, but a field goal may be a dropkick:

11-3-2 posted:

During a Try, the following shall apply:
(a) If a kick results in a field goal by the offense, one point is awarded. An artificial or manufactured tee shall not be permitted
to assist in the execution of a Try-kick. (The conditions of 11-4-1 must be met.)

11-4-1 posted:

A field goal is scored when all of the following conditions are met:
(a) The kick must be a placekick or dropkick made by the offense from on or behind the line of scrimmage or from the spot of
a fair catch (fair-catch kick). If a fair catch is made or awarded outside the inbound line, the spot of the kick is the nearest
inbound line.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

I think you can still drop kick, you just have to do it from the longer distance.

Yeah, sorry if that wasn't clear.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Rent-a-Bot posted:

I was discussing football with my friend from Atlanta and I was wondering why have the Atlanta Falcons historically sucked as a football team?

They have been very good at times but getting through the playoffs to a super bowl or a win is pretty random after you get that far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

EvilHawk posted:

How does this work in practice? Do they literally have "First down after kick off - run this play"? What if they're unsuccessful and the play is stopped short/intercepted?

No, and for that reason. There will be variations.

quote:

I often did the first 25. So, I did less thinking in the early stages of the game and I'd be less nervous. I would have check points for the defense. This way, I could orchestrate the first quarter of the game. I was able to initiate my plan. On third-and-1, for example, I'd go off that list to a short-yardage list. Then I'd go back to the script.
http://www.nytimes.com/1996/12/15/sports/the-abc-s-of-x-s-and-o-s-the-art-of-play-calling-in-the-nfl.html

quote:

McVay notes that he comes into each game with 20 “openers” or “priority plays”—calls that “knowing we’re in normal down-and-distance, operating where you’ve got your run-pass balance, [that] we know at some point we want to get it called.” For most coaches, third-down plays have a separate section on the call sheet; in fact, many are broken down into subsections depending on the circumstance. “If things go great, you’re going to just go right down that list,” McVay says. “[But] it’s not realistic.”
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/8/24/16193394/play-calling-strategy-bruce-arians-sean-mcvay

• Locked thread