Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

frozenphil posted:

Honestly, most people just refer to the specific year. I've seen people say SN95 with a 302 or whatever, but to me it's just easier to say '94 Mustang GT.

If you have an SN95 everyone assumes it is a 4.6 because they are stupid.

Also, this is the most bad-rear end SN95 you could get

Saleen S351

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Start reading these two magazines. Lots of content online as well.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/index.html

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/index.html

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Let's not forget a V10 New Edge concept/project

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub6DlVHWxPM

And the 429-powered Boss that beat the Camaro ZL1 packing a 572 big-block.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shut up about cars that aren't Mustangs

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Any kind of snow tires will do just fine. I do not suggest driving without them.

3.73? Sure why not. If you don't do long distances on the highway, get 4.10's. Sure, you have to shift 3 times just to cross the road but it's fun.

I turned the TC off on my Mustang GT and my GTO in the winter with snows. Why let it interfere when you can "steer with the rear"

Also "don't fear the gear"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Devyl posted:

The best aftermarket rims on a Mustang? Weld wheels.

Until you hit even a small pothole.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

I just saw a 5.0 on the way home, in Grabber Blue.

Goddamn they look good. Shame it was on the freeway with no opportunity to goad the driver into an acceleration test.

This color?

I don't like it. Must be a Ford thing, because some people go nuts over it. My dad used to like this Torino a guy in our town had that was a similar color, he called it 'project blue'.

I can't get over the rear end end of the Mustang (same with the 2005+ cars), it's too big and makes the rear tires look tiny, even when they are 19" wheels with 315 tires.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Did we have the LS1 vs 5.0 video in the last thread?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2fo3KHupBM

(fast forward to 2:00, past the AC/DC and open-hood shots)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What the gently caress

It's like a Camaro SS and a Mustang hosed

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

:clint:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

frozenphil posted:

That car did 22xmph at Bonneville, he can paint it however he wants.

It would be like painting a Camaro 'grabber blue'

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BITBY posted:

- approaching a stop when at running temperature, the transmission will intermittently not downshift into 1st. Lightly applying throttle to leave said stop initiates downshift with a disconcerting 'thunk' as it discovers 1st. Placing transmission into the '1' gate does send it into 1st at a stop, so that's a workaround which won't hurt anything.

Most cars with a 5/6 speed auto will hold second until they've been completely stopped. Is it trying to leave a stoplight in 2nd gear?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

TurboLuvah posted:

What kind of power is that making, 7-800ish hp?

I'd say at least that. A Vortech on a stock GT500 made something like 720rwhp.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I've decided to buy another Mustang...

I had two Fox-body 5.0's, one with a Vortech. I also had a 2002 GT, and my mother has a 95 GT. I also had a couple thirdgens and 4th gen f-bodies, everything from carb'd 305's to TPI to LS1/LT1...As well as a G8, GTO, a handful of DSM's...

But anyway, I think I've settled on a Mustang. I'm not 100% sure on which one, though. It'll probably come down to whatever is available. Looking for some thoughts or suggestions.

My budget is roughly $7-8,000. This will only be driven in the summer, and would prefer to get a car that hasn't been driven year-round in the great white north (I am in Michigan). I would prefer a 5-speed, but wouldn't let an automatic stop me if it were the right car. For the right price I wouldn't mind something that needs a little bit of work as long as it's mechanical and not paint/bodywork. Part of the reason to buy this is something to monkey with in the garage. I would also prefer blue, black, red, or gray.

Plans for the car would include gears/exhaust if it didn't have them already, and then a blower in the next 3-4 years (and then a shortblock, transmission and everything else sometime after that). I want to buy something in the next couple weeks. I don't see a whole lot for sale, not sure if it's because of Corona or what. And these cars are in this weird spot where I could have sworn they were all way cheaper a few years ago, when they were just 'older' instead of 20+ years old and everyone thinks they have a classic or something. I mean I think I paid $10,500 for my 2002 GT back in like....2005?? People want that much for them now!

I have seen a couple 2005 GT's at the top of my price range. They are supposedly miles ahead of the previous cars in ride, overall quality and handling. I have not been in one, however.

Mach 1's are definitely out of my price range would but would love one.

Next up would be a New Edge Cobra. I really like the styling. I know stock for stock they aren't that much faster than the GT of the same year. But they look better plus you have the 4v, for better or for worse.

I haven't really seen any Bullitts for sale bu I'd give one the nod over a regular GT, of course. Always liked the looks of them.

New Edge GT. I'm having trouble finding one that isn't either beat to poo poo or has been garaged and they want like $14k for it. I'm a little leery of going with a SOHC 4.6, owned one and it just wasn't really impressive (didn't help that I owned an LS1 at the time these were new).

SN95 Cobra? I guess maybe for a 5.0. I found a 1996 with the 4v locally with 38k on it for $7500 but just missed out on it. Not as big on the 94-98 styling, though.

I don't really see myself buying a 96-98 4.6 GT unless it was dirt cheap like $4,000 and super-clean. Low performance, stock, and then the bodystyle isn't quite what I'm after.

Any Rousch or Saleen model I've seen used automatically wants another $5,000 on top of what the regular version of the same car would cost. Some of them look pretty good though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ended up finding a clean 02 vert that I'll go pickup up this weekend. Will be something to keep in the garage and do a couple mods to here and there.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Cage posted:

Yaaaaaaaaaaa what color? Where are the pics??

Silver, stock except for some American Racing wheels and Flowmasters. Flew to Chicago and picked it up and then drove it back home from 'almost loving Wisconsin' to Michigan (5-1/2 hour drive). Made it to Indiana before I had to pull the gently caress over and put the top back up because torrential downpour. Also it drones bad at about 80-82mph.

I have a double-din Sony radio coming for it so I can have carplay (and a little more power), stuck a tri-ax in it on Sunday. Going to order some SFC's and 4.10's.

Here she is borrowing the plate from my Grand Cherokee since our Secretary of State offices aren't open.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Does nobody carry speedcals for the New Edge cars? They are discontinued at LMR and American Muscle. I really don't want to buy a loving $399 SCT to change speedo calibration.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Local automotive repair place also owns a 4x4 shop so I figured they would be a good place to get a quote from on a 4.10 gear install and weld-in subframe connectors....$1150 for the gears + install and $675 for the SFC's + install.

:getout:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

opengl128 posted:

Instead of the Ford tune I'm thinking of spending the same money on 4.09 gears. I have 3.73's now but Ford changed the gearing in the manual for 18+ so its much taller than 15-17, this would bring it back in line with the previous gearing and gain a little snap off the line and torque down low. Going to call around and get quotes for the install, and maybe pull the diff myself to save some cash on labor.

Curious as to what it costs in your area to have it done.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Any of you guys order from CJ Pony Parts? Customer support doesn't seem to be reachable via chat/email/site, going to try to call them tomorrow.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What is the signature from? Engine assembler or?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Digital_Jesus posted:

I just ordered my replacement clutch assist spring for the GT350 yesterday. Shipped this morning.

I ordered a bunch of stuff two weeks ago, got a few but want to cancel the back ordered stuff and just get it from Summit since that have it in stock.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

6 hours over two days spent rolling around on the floor in my garage in 90 degree heat.

Could probably do it again in 2-3 hours if I had to. Passenger side exhaust manifold bolts are kind of a pain and the exhaust flange on the driver side of the new H pipe was either off by a few mm, or the studs were slightly bent - it took some convincing to get that one on. Also had to make two trips to the auto parts store, one for a 16mm 3/4 socket and I forgot what the other time was.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Hah. I took that off and wondered how many people leave it on.

Used the non-metallic one that came with the new H pipe, hope it lasts.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bought some Dynomax superturbos to swap the flow master 40’s out with. Too loving loud

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Amy Pole Her posted:

And she’s out!

https://ibb.co/bHRLGVs
https://ibb.co/BZrHKng

Ya know 10 years ago this motor would’ve been absolutely insane and I would’ve killed for it. Funny how time changes things

What are you going to end up doing for an exhuast?

I should start piecing things together to swap my 2002 GT, but I think I might just sell it and buy a Mach 1. However, any of the ones I have found in my price range are automatics...I'd probably want to do a T56 swap anyway...is converting an auto car to a manual more trouble than it's worth? I mean there's a pedal, the clutch assembly, probably a transmission mount and maybe a driveshaft....anything in the tune? Reverse lockout and skip shift work-arounds? New center console trim piece?

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 23, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Got my 4.10 gears done...only ended up costing me $300

Heat cycled them with 3 20-30 minute rides over the first two days...haven't really romped on it yet but it definitely feels stronger in second and I didn't lose all traction in 1st which I was kind of worried about.

Going to drop it off again this week to get the Flowmasters swapped out and the subframes welded on. Then maybe it goes for sale?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Amy Pole Her posted:

It’s a pretty relatively easy swap.

My exhaust will be long tubes with x pipe running to SLP loudmouth

Why are you getting rid of the T45 and blown 4.6? Assuming it all still works great. And where you located? :q:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Welp. Someone crashed into my Mustang while it was parked on the street. They did enough damage to the rear wheels and suspension that insurance just totaled it. Rest in peace. Thinking of pre-ordering a Mach-e and buying a beater to wait it out.

Jesus. How fast were they going?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Took my H pipe off to replace the paper gasket that came with it, with a metal gasket...

Stripped the upper passenger side manifold stud putting it back on :mad:

I had just gotten my subframes, gears installed and flowmasters replaced with super turbos

I cussed at the car then let it sit for two days, then paid $40 to have muffler man hit it with a torch and put a new stud in

All set now. Not loving with another thing on this car for the rest of the year. Sat at too many shops over the last month with me not driving it.

Crappy video showing the sound difference

https://youtu.be/GXepU1r-0AE

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I haven’t driven my Mustang since...early November maybe once or twice?

Minor upgrades on the way. BMR coils and rear control arms just showed up from FedEx.

I bought a set of staggered FR500 clones with drag radials. I put the driver side wheels on to see how it looks. Going to sell the black Bullitt wheels I had on there.

Bought an electric impact wrench, worked great on the lug nuts, once we get a day in the high 40’s I’ll install the lowering coils. And then I’ll put the other two wheels on.

Been scouring the web for a used Vortech kit, would like to get one for $1500-2000, would still need misc parts and a mail order tune from Lethal Performance. Another 100-150hp would be nice.

Although, I am still being tempted by a Coyote. If I could find a nice one for $15k or so (more for a 13/14) it’s be hard to say no. I have actually seen a couple 2015’s for $20k but that’s starting to get out of budget. My Jeep is basically paid off so a $250 car payment for a fun car would be financially dumb but not a big deal. My phone bill is half that.

And then I’d just sell my 2002 and buy a blower for the 5.0....

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

kalvick posted:

I have been on the hunt for a super charger kit too, I want a Procharger with the 3 core intercooler.
The cheapest I managed to get was $5900 with a p1sc, but if I upgrade to a d1sc its $475 more. Thats for a new complete kit.

What year do you have? Check out superchargers4less.com, you have to call for pricing.

They quoted me 4900 and change for a complete p1sc kit for a 99-04 GT. Cheapest I have found by far. $150 for shipping and $300 for sales tax not included. Problem is I didnt spend much more than that for my entire car.

A Vortech tuner kit is $3500 and doesn’t have an IC. I would still have to get injectors pump MAF and a tune. Can’t find a place around here that will do it that’s close, and most places want $800 and are two hours away.

I really don’t want to buy this stuff used, but if I could find a V3 head unit and bracket for $1500 I would jump on it. A lot of the used kits guys either want drat near new prices or it looks like the car was parked outside with no hood on it for two years. And you’ll get nickeled and dimed to death buying all the missing parts. Rather just get a box in the mail and bolt it on one Saturday.

I had a V1 on my fox body, back then I think it only cost a little over $2000...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I haven’t driven my Mustang since...early November maybe once or twice?

Minor upgrades on the way. BMR coils and rear control arms just showed up from FedEx.

I bought a set of staggered FR500 clones with drag radials. I put the driver side wheels on to see how it looks. Going to sell the black Bullitt wheels I had on there.

Bought an electric impact wrench, worked great on the lug nuts, once we get a day in the high 40’s I’ll install the lowering coils. And then I’ll put the other two wheels on.

Been scouring the web for a used Vortech kit, would like to get one for $1500-2000, would still need misc parts and a mail order tune from Lethal Performance. Another 100-150hp would be nice.

Although, I am still being tempted by a Coyote. If I could find a nice one for $15k or so (more for a 13/14) it’s be hard to say no. I have actually seen a couple 2015’s for $20k but that’s starting to get out of budget. My Jeep is basically paid off so a $250 car payment for a fun car would be financially dumb but not a big deal. My phone bill is half that.

And then I’d just sell my 2002 and buy a blower for the 5.0....

Sold my 2002 and am buying a built new edge with a Vortech in the next week or so.

After figuring $17000 for a Coyote and another $8000 for a blower, I started looking at < $30000 GT500's but they were all a little rough or close to 100k miles. Then I remembered I didn't want to borrow even $10-$15000 to buy what's basically a toy.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Cage posted:

Nice, anymore deets? Pics?

Just got it today.

Excuse the dust. Needs a couple vacuum lines replaced. BOV isn't working quite right, getting a little flutter. Trying find the right spring, I have this BOV on it:

https://www.turbosmart.com/product/vee-port-pro-black/

The car has a built 4.6, cobra crank + forged rods/pistons, aftermarket cams, not 100% sure on exactly what the compression ratio or heads are. Longtubes, Magnaflow mufflers, Vortech S-trim, front-mount intercooler, sitting on 17x9 and 17x10.5 Cobra replicas and Eibach Sportlines. Dyno'ed around 520whp

edit: Found the vacuum line going to the BOV is two hoses hooked together and one has a giant crack and it basically fell apart when I was grabbing it. So off to the parts store to grab some hose tomorrow.

also: bought this lighter spring for the BOV in case it's not the one that's in there

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tbs-ts-0205-3110

also also: bought a goddamn autometer boost gauge. Can't believe I didn't have one in my toolbox from my DSM days, I still have 4G63 spark plugs and oil filters for some drat reason.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 5, 2021

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Got to install the BMR rear lower control arms I had bought for my old car. Sold the BMR springs since this car already had Eibach Sportlines on it.

Isolators were pretty beat up as you can see, I'll probably buy a set of those later and put them on because they are pretty easy to get to, just remove the lower bolt on the rear shock.

Install wasn't too bad. I put the rear sway bar back on upside down, twice. One of the bolts was a little hard to get on one control arm, not really sure why. Also had to disconnect the cat-back from the X pipe so I could get on the inside of the front bolt on the control arm. Argh.

gently caress lowered cars. Seriously. What a pain in the loving dick. Bought the 1.5 ton aluminum jack from HF, it worked, got the car up in the air enough to get my regular jack under there...I ended up going back to HF and getting the 2 ton jack with the longer reach. Going to cut a couple 2x6's to drive up on for the future.

The 18v Ryobi impact for $90 at Home Depot is a lifesaver. I'm getting too old to be laying on the ground doing this poo poo though.

Also, I have never driven a Vortech car that wasn't set up with the bypass valve recirculating back into the intake. Holy hell this thing is loud. Ssssssshhhhhhhttshhhh. Would not want that BOV on a daily driver. Which I think what I really want is a TVS Coyote.

Took the car out for a half hour drive, it was 45 degrees out but the rain from yesterday washed all the salt off the roads. Stopped to air up, I was at 24psi all around so I went to 34. 1st and 2nd were just tire spin if you built any boost, car seemed pretty fast in 3rd but I didn't really beat on it much. Started sprinkling so it cut the ride short. Just wanted to make sure everything was good and use up some of the gas that's in the full tank.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bought some new muffler hangers, the rubbers on mine are starting to fall apart. Should keep the mufflers up another inch or so so they quit scraping on my driveway.

Bought a new set of coil spring isolators from LMR (the polyurethane ones, mine are all beat up and one of the bottom rear ones was actually missing)

Confirmed that the car has 3.73's so that's about perfect for what I want.

50 degrees out = tire spin on the highway at 60mph. If those Nitto's weren't brand new I'd be ordering something else for them right now.

Hit some kind of boost cut as well, going to replace some more vacuum lines and get some little clamps. Everything seems fine until the higher boost levels, should probably wire the gauge up when I get some time.

Poly bushings in the control arms are a little noisy. Will check and re-grease possibly.

Also need to fix the driver side window as it rolls up crooked, guessing a bracket fell off.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

honda whisperer posted:

Friend has a 2012 gt500 that needs a new clutch. Looking around online it seems the Mcleod twin disc is the popular choice.

Cars at 750hp, 100% street use.

Reasonable for that or is there something else I should look at?

Mantic

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

kalvick posted:

The only Nittos I know for the new edge car that I have ever seen is the 555 variants and the NT05 series.
those Nitto's arn't sticky enough for a ~500hp car? what would you be looking to get? what is street legal and stickier?

I have the 555 G2's right now. I don't think I'd have a problem at all with the NT05 in drag radial form. I think as it warms up I'll get a better idea how it hooks.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Rear spring Isolators installed along with the new muffler hangers. Still just barely scrapes in the driveway but I can live with it.

Stil having a bitch of a time trying to jack the car up from the front. Need to order some Maximum Motorsports SFC’s like I had on my other very.

Hit the high rpm cutout again. Maybe it’s plug gap? I have a set to put on. Going to check the gap on what’s in there now.

Started installing the auto meter boost gauge and innovate wideband. Need to get some anti-seize, butt connectors, a little bit of wire and some taps. Maybe a can of foaming degreaser to wipe things down a bit under the hood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Took me a while but I finally got my drag radials. Only fifty out but they hook up pretty good.

https://youtu.be/T3kM0pJAfRI