Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

CombatWombat posted:

The article is pretty dumb. It doesn't qualify WHY it beats these nebulous '$150,000 European sports cars,' (of which it names none, other than referencing that the current V8 makes more power than a first-gen Viper or 360 Modena--both of which are quite outdated) and it's just a gushy piece of feel-good crap for Detroit residents about 'MERICAN CARS.
It reads like it was written by the American version of Troy Queef.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I ended up being depressed and angered after playing with the Mustang configurator on Ford's site. A reasonably specced-up GT Premium worked out at the equivalent of £22,000. In other words, less than a diesel BMW 316 or a Golf GTi. (The cheapest V8 anything you can buy in the UK is the Vauxhall VXR8, which costs £34k and is, well, a Vauxhall.) A Focus RS? £27k.

I hate you, Ford of America. :argh:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Muffinpox posted:

You realize prices aren't 1:1? A GTi here costs around USD20k, if it were just a direct conversion we'd be paying closer to 10.
Er, yes, I know. The GT I configured was over $34k, which is round about £22k at current exchange rates. A GTi over here is £23k.

Yes, we get absolutely stiffed on car prices in the UK. And everything else, for that matter. (And it gets worse in January when VAT goes up to 20%...)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Muffinpox posted:

Ahh, I thought you were complaining about the price of models relative to each other instead of just the high cost of cars. You do get kinda screwed :smith: At least you get TVRs.
That said, I found an importer today selling a 2011 GT Premium (in the colour and spec I want, no less) for £35,000 on-the-road. Sure, that's a massive markup on the US price, but it includes shipping, import duty, VAT, registration, tax disc and UK-legal lights, etc. Hmm. Hmmmm. If only I wasn't planning to buy a house...

(Just for comparison, £35k would get a VXR8, a BMW 330i M Sport, an Audi TT 2.0 Quattro, an Exige or the absolute cheapest Boxster. Y'know, out of all those, I would seriously take the Mustang, even in LHD. It's a heart thing, not a head thing. Hmmmmmmm! God drat it.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Elephanthead posted:

Isn't the biggest cost the VAT? You can't blame Ford for the fact that your health care costs are paid anytime you buy anything. I write a check for a grand every month to an insurer that does everything they legally can to deny me health care.
VAT is 17.5% (will rise to 20% in January), so on a £35k car the VAT is a bit over five grand.

Incidentally, if you import a car, you first have to pay import duty (which I think is 10% of the price you paid, plus the shipping costs), and then you pay VAT on top of that. (And with fuel, you pay fuel duty, and then VAT again on the duty). HM Revenue & Customs are bastards.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I just checked one of the UK importers' sites, and thanks to the pound strengthening against the dollar I found I could have a GT Premium imported and on the road (including all taxes and SVA work) for £32,000. Except that right now, I'm buying a house and don't have 32 grand to spare any more. Dammit.

Just for comparison, £32k would get the absolute cheapest possible 5-Series diesel, a Focus RS, the bottom end of the Audi TT range, and be slightly short of the base Boxster. None of which I would particularly want. Okay, so maybe I don't actually need a bigger house...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I put a scan of a news article from this week's Auto Express (UK) in the other Mustang thread. Short version: full redesign for the 50th anniversary in 2014, available in all markets including RHD (ie, UK/Australia/Japan), engines ranging from EcoBoost 2.5l turbo 4 to 5.4l V8, slightly smaller and a lot lighter than the current model, :siren: independent rear suspension :siren: .

How accurate it is I don't know, but if it is true I'll sure as hell be buying one.