Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I still haven't seen a new 5.0 on the road yet. Damnit people get out there and start driving them! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
drat, who needs a GT500 when a bolt on turbo kit is pushing 600+ hp from the engine! With that modest of boost I assume the stock engine handles it without problems?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I'm curious what kind of markup they're putting on the car too. Seattle dealers are insane about markup--I remember looking at a new G8 GXP that had a $15k 'market adjustment' above MSRP!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Oxytocin posted:

I agree, but it's loving Seattle - unless you're buying a white Subaru Outback it's like they suspect you of being a partner of Microsoft.

Horsepower = not green = luxury

Solution: buy in neighboring state and at least avoid taxes.

Unless you can register it outside Washington you'll still have to pay tax when you register. But yeah, traveling a few hours outside the area to get a better deal is a good idea.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

frozenphil posted:

In near record time, skip shift in the 2011 Mustang can now be turned off via hand held tuner. No need to fool around with jumpers like our neanderthal LSx neighbors.

Haha, in my goat I like to play a little game where I try to keep the skip shift light on for as long as possible (it only comes on at a very specific window of RPM and speed). Current record is almost 30 seconds. :v: And for the record it can be disabled by a tuner too (although I dunno if any handheld tuners can do it).

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Hey again, guys.

I heard the silliest thing the other day: that the engine bay of 5th gens are roomy enough to easily accommodate the girth of 427 (and larger) Ford big blocks. Any truth to this? I can't seem to find much beyond the Roush 427R and indecipherable, poorly-written message board posts on other forums :(

Isn't the 427R named because it makes 427 horsepower from a blown modular V8 (guessing 4.6 liter), not because it's a 427 big block?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

frozenphil posted:

I wonder if he really thinks he found something out that no one knew before? The engineers flat out said they built the car for DI but haven't implemented it yet because of cost constraints for the new engine.

From the expansive March, 2010 5.0 Mustangs and Super Fords article about the Coyote:

Look at the angle the injector has to the cylinder right now:

That's basically a straight shot, giving most of the advantages of DI with none of the cost.

I like to think that the worker who was tasked with cutting this engine in half quit on the spot claiming he refused to deface a work of art. :v:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Like I said I turn the skip shift light into a game now. How long can you drive with it on? My record is about 15 seconds. :smug:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Presto posted:

Someone left this oxcart on my doorstep. But I like the color, so I think I'll keep it.

Very sexy! Does it really need a backup camera though? :v:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
How is Ford coming out ahead financially with the new 5.0? It seems like the better quality parts, manufacturing, engineering, etc. would add a lot to the cost of car. Some of that goes back to buyers in the form of a higher price, but a lot like the engineering costs have to be amortized over time. What I'm really curious/worried about is, will the new 5.0 be like the 5th generation VW GTI/Rabbit which had a strong product at release but cost too much and had to be watered down in its next iteration?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow, impressive. Are gears really a bolt-on though? Seems like something you need to take to a professional (or have access to tools and knowledge to press in bearings).

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Muffinpox posted:

Final drive i.e. differential gear, way easier than transmission.

Even that's not something that's really bolt on right? I'm assuming you have to remove and replace the pinion gear, set it's bearing preload, etc.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Official info on the 2013 GT500 is out!

650hp

Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooly poo poo!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow I hope they put wider rubber on the rear too. The Camaro ZL1 will have 305 width tires in the rear I think.

Also apparently the 2013 GT will have 420hp stock--nice little bump in power. With so much horsepower coming from pony cars I have to wonder if the standard and Z06 Corvette are too weak these days.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
How about they put the supercharged 5.8 liter engine in the Raptor and call it good.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

otaku69 posted:

How about instead of horsepower they add less weight.

Get an Elise. Mustangs are big American V8 coupes--always have been and always (hopefully) will be.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

kalvick posted:

Thoughts?

IMHO enjoy what you have now. Building it up to be 600+ horsepower is going to cost a lot of money which you'll never get back if you try to sell. Wait a year or so and buy a GT500 that's slightly used.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Are they even in production yet? 2013 model year probably means some time this summer.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Muffinpox posted:

Welp I got that there mustang for FAVE HUNNERT HORSEPOWER above msrp.

SIX HUNNERT FITTY HORSEPAWER!!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Presto posted:

The amazing thing to me is that we are now living in a time when 200 mph off the showroom floor is within reach of your average Joe in the street. To put this in some kind of perspective, I was leafing through a copy of the 1988 Guinness Book of World Records I found, and the fastest road car in the world at the time (officially) was the Lamborghini Countach 5000QV at 190.1 mph. I couldn't find the list price, but wiki says it debuted in 1985 at about $100k, which is about $200k in today's money.

Twenty-four years later you can now buy a Mustang that will beat it.

I full expect the 2035 Mustang to run a 3 second quarter mile. It might even be powered by exploding nuclear bombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
The configurator is up on ford.com too. I'll take one like this please: