Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

AtomicBomber posted:

Anyone know how long builds are taking on the new GT's?
I cant flippin wait! I will go out of my mind if I watch the summer go by without this car.

my cousin ordered one custom built beginning of may. he got it the beginning of july. so 8 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Meathole posted:

It won't be as quick or fast as the E, but I bet it's a hell of a lot more fun to drive every day. I've got the July MMFF in front of me, and they got their STOCK 2011 GT to run a 12.342 @ 110.77 mph(with slicks), so it is definitely no slouch.

What exactly indicates to you that the mustang gt is slower in any category than the E55?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
https://www.costcoauto.com

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Appears you drifted it so hard the windshield wipers came on..

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Wait so once you put this on your engine your engine warranty effectively becomes 12 months? or does the engine still have 3 years, and its just the supercharger that has 12 months?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

frozenphil posted:

I'm going to guess your engine warranty goes to 12 months from 36. I guess you can ride out your factory warranty and then install the supercharger if the warranty means something to you.

if i had a 2011 gt i certainly wouldnt have the balls to do it until my last year of the warranty.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Radiohead71 posted:

Good video comparing the GT to the BMW M3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOwSPccbzl4

I love this video. I just imagine jeremy clarkson doing his impersonation of german car fans "Comparing your MUSTANG against an M3? Dont make me laugh-- :qq:"

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 24, 2010

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
By the way, my cousin installed the corsa axle back exhaust on his 2011 yesterday (it was harder than i expected, we took almost 2 hours). It sounds good but not great. Its very quiet until you get to about 4000-4500rpm. It sounds like a muffled piece of tin foil is being drummed when sitting inside the car. On the highway what was really odd was it seemed like it was coming from 2 cars behind us, as if the sound couldnt catch up. Sort of like how distant thunder sounds. Its still a lot better than the stock exhaust which cant be heard unless its WOT all the way to fuckin red line.

I suggested he try ford racing parts GT axle back exhaust for california (they literally made one thats 49 states legal, and 50 states legal, due to loudness) so he knows he has the best possible axle back exhaust but he isnt buying the suggestion :(

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

frozenphil posted:

The correct answer is an offroad x-pipe and the Magnaflow competition cat-back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQhRBCziQ6s

He hates drone and so do i, so thats one reason he went with corsa i think. every other manufacturer its a toss up if its going to drone or not.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

frozenphil posted:

According to the Lethal guys there is no drone with that combo posted in the video. They checked it out from idle to 110mph. The rasp you can hear is the camera, according to them.

Ive yet to see anyone claim a 2011 gt exhaust has drone though. one guy got muffler deletes on his 2011 from flowmaster which is loud as poo poo and then said it has zero drone, which it almost certainly does.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Skyssx posted:

So why is the X-pipe off road? Did it eliminate some sensors?

Pretty sure the 2011 is like the rest of the mustangs and has the cats on the x pipe. Offroad x-pipe means it has no cats.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Excellent video, Randy Pobst is such a good guy. It really irks me though when the Mustang is always paired against cars that are a hundred times more sophisticated, cost tens of thousands of dollars more, and it barely finishes behind them. As the guy in the video said "a win is a win" and they then tear the car down because it's like 1/10th of a second slower in an unofficial lap (even though it's 0-60 is the same and it brakes faster than the M3 in the same test) than it's incredibly high competition and that instantly makes it the loser, seriously :wtc:

I agree with kimbo - the Mustang won't even come close to closing the cost gap of both cars with an upgrade or two and then will be twice the car it was.

That review reminds me of the time Road & Track did a test on the top model Viper versus the Corvette Z06 and the Viper absolutely destroyed the Corvette in every test...and the Viper preceded to lose because "the ride quality is too harsh for street use and it doesn't come equipped with a cup holder" :psyduck: I just don't take these 'professional' reviews seriously anymore.

Even stupider is the fact that the motor trend guy drove both around the track and the mustang was .55 seconds faster (the article is on their main page). I think they chalk it up to the mustangs low end torque which means you dont have to be driving the car on the limits of RPM the whole time. So in the hands of an average joe the mustang will probably win, when the m3 is supposed to be the "drivers" car and have hundreds of millions in R&D and a huge racing lineage backing it up. Guess that only goes so far though.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 25, 2010

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

frozenphil posted:

I'd wager the Mustang's racing lineage goes back a little further than the M3's.

Maybe its just me but when i think of a mustang i dont exactly think ford was passing on all their racing poo poo to their road cars. When i think of M badge i think that its supposed to be a representation of BMWs racing parts. Im probably wrong about that though. reason i think this is because 335i and the M3 differ a lot, so do the z4 coupe and the m coupe, theyre very very different cars.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 25, 2010

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
I guess lets change subjects to how lovely the spoiler was adhered to my 1999 GT. The adhesive completely was gone and the thing almost fell off when the last nut came off if i wasnt holding it. Luckily theres only SEVERE paint missing and a little bit of rust near the biggest holes on the left and right side. fuuuuck.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Skyssx posted:

Well see the M3 is just a tuner version of the 3 series commuter cars. The Mustang, on the other hand, is a streetable version of the FRPP racing cars. For just a little more than the plain jane M3, you can get an actual race Mustang used in series like ALMS or RSCC.

e: No ironic :v: because it's true.

Thats actually pretty cool. How much money and modifications would it take to get a 5.0 to FRPP spec? I would think full shocks and spring kit from FRPP and some chassis stuff would get you pretty close. Then a crapton of weight reduction.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Well, poo poo. I just put a deposit down on a 2011 GT500 with the SVT Performance Pack, Navigation, and the glass roof, in Sterling Silver with red skinny stripes. Now the waiting game before I go pick it up (hopefully next week).

Agree with everything but not sure about the glass roof. What was the thought process exactly? "lets add weight and make the car brutally hot"

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
drat i thought i had a pretty nice condition mustang gt from 99 but you guys have better condition ones :( they are at least 2-5 years newer than mine though...

is there any way i can get the 01-04 hood scoop for the 99 gt? i really loving despise my hood. It looks awful without that hood scoop, since the piece of plastic honey comb poo poo is so prominent smack dab in the center of it.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

frozenphil posted:

Dealers are making killer deals on GT500s now that the supercharger info for the GT has been released and everyone sees the potential there.

I'm deeply jealous and would love a GT500, regardless of the cost:performance ratio difference between it and a regular GT. Now throw on the Hellion twin turbo kit and make 1100rwhp. You can do rolling burnouts at 100mph!

Got any quotes for the gt500? i know someone who is interested and i just pointed them towards costco, since with the SVT package its $47,890... Considering an equal mustang gt 5.0 premium would be about $44000-45000 after FRPP supercharger installed and exhaust (since the gt500 sounds awesome stock, easily worth $1000). oh yeah plus 3 year warranty on the whole shebang instead of just a 1 year after you get a FRPP supercharger installed. Sure its not as fast as a SCed 5.0 but i bet its enough trouble putting down the gt500s power as is.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 31, 2010

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

frozenphil posted:

Yes, but you're better off buying a complete hood from a junkyard or a Mustang forum's classifieds or buying whatever aftermarket hood you like.

I would think getting the scoop painted "laser red" would be around $300 total, while buying an aftermarket hood for around $550-$600, then having that painted for $350-$400 is more than 3 times as much. Unless im wrong about prices i dont want to spend $1000 on a 99 GT just to get a new hood when the current one is still in good condition.

quote:

I'm not a dealer. Find a dealer who advertises on a Mustang forum and ask them what they can do.

I meant what kind of quotes were you seeing that indicated the dealers were willing to make deals on the GT500.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

PT6A posted:

Yeah, I'm not exactly a "car guy," but can someone explain to me where the idea that a live rear axle is dangerous comes from? What dangerous situation can it create?

If you are going around a corner at super fast speeds and you hit a large bump with one of your rear tires theres a good chance it can lose grip completely on you. Its dangerous only at already really dangerous speeds. So if youre some idiot who goes on lovely mountain roads at top speed then yeah it will put you in trouble. Wont give you any trouble on a decent track though.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Has anyone recently installed a mach 1 grille delete kit? I ordered one from dallasmustang and they basically sent the ford parts directly for it... biggest problem i have with this stupid thing is the U shaped part that is supposed to follow the curve of the bumper doesnt even come close. Im gonna gently caress with it more tomorrow but my god i cant believe how lovely it looks right now. Ill take pics tomorrow.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/14/shelby-announces-2011-gt500-super-snake-with-up-to-800-horsepowe/#continued

WTF? over seven hunnnnerd horse power for $75k... (assuming you buy a base gt500 from costco then immediately get the install).

The stylings kind of ugly but whatever 750 loving hp.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

frozenphil posted:

My 2003 GT premium was $24,995 out the door, where a 2011 GT premium runs real close to $40k or more depending on options. A $15k increase in 8 years is more than just inflation.

what??
a premium GT with comfort pkg, electronics pkg, 3.73, brembo brake pkg, & HID runs $39,500 MSRP (which is retarded in the day and age of costco auto).. electronics pkg and comfort pkg i could be without easily, since theyre both fuckin useless to me (okay i moved seat now i dont need to move it again especially for $600. Also i dont need loving $2000 sirius radio, and dont need $2000 voice navigation when a $100 garmin will do me just fine once a year when i need it). the GT premium is decked the gently caress out as is, really doesnt need any options. You dont "need" brembo package so you cant draw an equivalency between that and a 2003 GT.

The minimum-good-options-but-holy-poo poo-still-blows-the-doors-off-a-2003 GT price stands hair above $35,000, but really $33k.

If you compare apples to apples, V6 premium would be the thing to compare.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 25, 2010

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Imperador do Brasil posted:

So your supercharged 32v 5.0 gets roughly the same hp as our naturally aspirated 32v 5.0?

Pretty sure this was already gone over earlier in the thread but apparently ford australia likes to publish numbers from rwhp... so its 450hp/420ftlb of torque to the rear wheels. That means its going to make at least 517hp and 483 ft/lbs of torque at the fly wheel. Of course the 5.0 mustang gt seems to be underrated, so im guessing this engine is too. Fuckin crazy stuff.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

whiskas posted:

So the final specs for the GT350 has been announced.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/07/shelby-releases-final-specs-on-gt350-mustang-power-output-range/

So for the SC'd version you're looking at ~$30K for the donor and another ~$33K for the conversion. So overall ~$63K total.

A GT500 starts at $59K, so who the gently caress would buy this thing? It's just some stuff taken out of FRPP's catalog as well as someone ejaculating SHELBY badges all over the interior and exterior of the car.

I've been reading up on the forums you recommended to me frozenphil, and I'm just :psypop: at some of the stuff I'm seeing, the Mustang community definitely has a different breed of retard than the typical honda fanboy community. It's fascinating in a twisted sort of way.

GT500 is $47k with svt track pack... probably is 90% of the car this is. Not sure how theyre putting down 3.7 sec 0-60 but the gt500 apparently does it in like 4 flat or 4.1. However gently caress all that, buy a mustang gt with brembos for a little bit above $30k, then some FRPP suspension and supercharger for $10k INSTALLED and enjoy your car that is 99% of this car. Also its not loving ugly as poo poo.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

KickStand posted:

Well I got my O/R X pipe and my SLP Catback on but now the car sounds like a tractor because I snapped two of the header flange studs! :downsgun:

There is plenty of material to pull the old ones off and replace with new but I cant get at them and I am done loving with it. Any idea how much this is going to cost me? Its one drat stud on either side

Edit: 4 new studs are $10 I wonder what the labor is going to cost.

Wow how the gently caress did you do this, i bought an x-pipe but havent installed it yet and want to avoid snapping the studs (whatever that means).

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

kimbo305 posted:

I actually like the ricy parts :(

This is the Stang that I'll never be able to rice mine up to:

Phil, is Saleen in such a state that they're still selling these as kits?

Ugh, i hate that front valance, its identical to the one CDC sells.

I think the saleen S302 has a nice front
http://www.saleen.com/vehicles/S302/
the whole front just looks solid. After looking at the 2011 for a long time i HATE the front grill, and i hate the front valance. This gets rid of both.

it also pains me to say it but i think the rear end actually looks nice too, even though its a little extreme in terms of body kit.

rest of the thing is awful though

roush has a nice front bumper too, though their grill has some really huge gaps in it that are inexcusable really

SMS 302 also has some nice bits here and there, but overall its meh..

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

frozenphil posted:

Yep. I think a lot of people who are used to import prices are amazed when they see just how cheap this stuff is for Mustangs.

Whats the difference between the 3.73 gear kit for $260 and the $160 gears? How much does installation typically run for these things, and do they do an adjustment to the odometer so it accurately records miles? (i have a 99 GT and im almost positive it has 3.55 gears... ill have to get under there soon and do the driveshaft/wheel revolution test)

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
So even if i have it installed at a shop chances are i should get the kit? Also in 4th gear at 1600 rpm im at 35 mph exactly... does that sound like 3.55 gears? Guess im getting 4.10s :(

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

sw0cb posted:

Took car to track, made roommates camaro cry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp6haedNZsU

Okay but what were the times..?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/11/2012-mustang-boss-302-to-come-with-special-key-for-race-calibrat/#continued

So awesome.. the boss 302 comes with a special set of keys to make it a better performer on the track (and everywhere else basically!).

This is just the regular boss 302 as well... cant wait for the laguna seca track key. probably going to have a 9000 rpm :homer drool:

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 11, 2010

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
I tried to install my new xpipe but i cant even remove the o2 sensors from my stock one... would it be safe to just take a propane torch to them and then try? No amount of wd40 or any other variants on the o2 sensor will let me loosen it.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

frozenphil posted:

Did you try an oxygen sensor wrench? What about a pneumatic version?

No it was just a regular wrench, didnt even know o2 wrenches existed. Do you have a specific o2 wrench that you know is a reliable one? I loosened one with a regular wrench, but the other one was impossible (of course i havent even tried to do the ones near the intake manifolds.. dear god).

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
posted in the wrong thread. :ughh: anyways in terms of o2 wrenches looks like this is on sale?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TQ2T2M?ie=UTF8&tag=243008992-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000TQ2T2M

Also would a pneumatic one pretty much mean i need to get these two things?
http://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-Rand-Air-Hammer-114GQC/dp/B000VZAENC
http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-43900-Oxygen-Sensor-Remover/dp/B000JFN9PY/ref=sr_1_cc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290427124&sr=1-1-catcorr

I have a pretty big air compressor available to me but poo poo $75 on tools just to loosen up some loving o2 sensors!?

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Nov 22, 2010

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
WHOOPS

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Made this video of my cousins 5.0 for a lovely video project.. for a PHOTO class. only video ive ever done, learned premier pro today basically. oh well turned out cool enough. watch in 720p since its 5d goodness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21l-gKiR7Qo

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Holdbrooks posted:

So in the end she decided to go with a 2011 GT/CS convertible in race red. and I am ordering a Flowmaster hushmaster axleback to get the sound more like the GT500. Ultimatly the smoother suspension and transmission was better for the daily city driving she will be doing.

.... why not just order gt500 exhaust?

here ya go
http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-racing-axle-back-touring-exhaust-system-with-gt500-mufflers-gt-2011/p/M5230MGTCA1/

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Holdbrooks posted:

yeah, thats still sitting in my cart there but I think she likes the flowmasters better, and I think they might be a little louder than the stock gt500 ones. but I'm kind of worried that they might drone.

Depends on what your philosophy on exhaust is. Flowmasters will make it louder in the lower rpms than the gt500, but its a false loudness imo, and flowmaster seems to just amplify the low muddy notes of the exhaust, you get no high pitched exhaust noise. its as if theres a pillow stuffed in the muffler.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

kronix posted:

I'm just curious what kind of gains can be had with just an axel back + canned tune. I'm in the market for an exhaust and I don't want it to be too loud, just a little deeper and meaner. The ford racing system looks pretty reasonably priced.

Anyone have any experience?

For what year mustang?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Is there something im missing about tunes on a new car? What guarantee is there that they wont find the ecu tune and immediately void your warranty.