Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neight
Mar 30, 2007

YOLT
Pricing question: I'm looking at 2011 GTs, I was searching dealer inventories in my area and found a bunch that I could go for. How much will time on the lot and options make a difference in how much I can talk them down? For example could I get a $39k well equipped one down to 32 or 33 if its been sitting on the lot for a year? Would I have the same luck going from 35k to 29k?

Also any advice for a 23 year old trying to buy a "pony car"? Its hard to get taken seriously when you don't know what you're doing and you don't have a wad of cash in your hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neight
Mar 30, 2007

YOLT

RockSmart posted:

You should be trying to get at least a thousand below invoice, *not* MSRP. If MSRP is 38, invoice is probably around 35 and you shouldn't be paying more than 34 for an ending model year. If you don't have any experience negotiating, use a car pricing service like Edmunds, or USAA if you can get it. Show them that you know the cars are selling for mid 30s, and walk, repeatedly if necessary if they are trying to sell you anywhere near MSRP. Play multiple dealerships against each other.

It's still wintertime, gas prices are high, and the new model year is here. These cars aren't moving and they want them gone. It's a perfect time to buy.

Also if you don't have any money to put down and don't have awesome credit you're going to be a tier 3 loan or worse and are going to get raped on interest. Your car payments are going to be $700+. A new car might not be the best idea. Just some unsolicited advice.

Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate the advice too, by not having a wad of cash I meant I didn't have like $35k in twenty dollar bills to dazzle the salesmen with. I was planning on putting $5k down, plus trading in my 07 Ridgeline (which I'll probably get raped on because it has 130,000 miles on it) and then having one of my parents cosign the loan so I can keep the rate down.

Neight
Mar 30, 2007

YOLT
I went and test drove a 2011 GT today. I was ready to buy and was having a great experience with the salesman, but my trade-in was an issue and the appraiser came over to chat. He said a lot of interesting things about the value of my trade and how trading was a good idea because it lowered the taxes on the purchase price and generally was making sense. Then I said "well ok so the trade is too low, maybe we can talk about the car price" which was at 37 something after an xplan discount and he looked at it and said he couldn't go any lower than xplan plus incentives from Ford. When I tried to reason with him that it was a car that had been sitting on the lot for at least 6 months and that its a 2011 when 2012s are coming out and, you know, its just a Mustang, and 34k was pretty reasonable, he said that "it was not a mass-produced car" and "they didn't make as many as they could sell" and "that the California Special was a limited edition" and "that he'd been involved with Ford for 25 years so obviously this all must be true".

I was so surprised by all of that, which as far as I can tell was lies, that I just got up and said "call me if you want to talk about the price" and didn't even mention the fact that I had Truecar pricing for that car from 3 other dealerships, or a fleet number through my job (although I don't know if that would have done any good).

Neight
Mar 30, 2007

YOLT

RockSmart posted:

Calling him out might not have been pleasant, but it's within your rights when someone's lying through their teeth. It's just a trim option.

I probably had the right to do a lot of things, I feel pretty good about exercising my right to get up and walk away and talk poo poo about him for the rest of the weekend, and of course talk poo poo about him on the internet (it was All American Ford in Old Bridge, NJ). That car was on the edge of being too expensive anyway, even if I talked them down to where I needed it to be.

I went into the place that the family business has a fleet account and I think they're going to hook me up. Hopefully my next post will have a picture in it and then I can cross post that picture to every other "post a picture of a car" thread and then go back to lurking.

Neight
Mar 30, 2007

YOLT

mcmagic posted:

I'm about 15 miles south of there in North Brunswick and Malouf Ford in my town has been great. They were very up front with me and it was by far my most painless car buying experience. (Though it hasn't been delivered yet.)

How did they price you? I just emailed a higher up guy at All American and they actually just won't go below MSRP except from Ford incentives.

Neight
Mar 30, 2007

YOLT
Mine was November 2010 and is fine so far (700 miles).

Also its incredibly awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neight
Mar 30, 2007

YOLT

blargle posted:

Are there any decent Ford dealers in the north NJ area, before I just go to a random one and have a terrible experience?

How far north are you? I went to All American Ford in Old Bridge and had a terrible experience and ended up buying mine at Larson Ford in Lakewood, but thats not exactly North Jersey.