Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronW
Apr 16, 2007

Why yes, I HAVE seen uhaul.jpg
So people who are ordering Mustangs, how does that work and what are you paying relative to invoice? Do you just walk in and say "hi, I'd like to order a mustang and I'll pay X, I have my own financing."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronW
Apr 16, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

Is it possible to get invoice (sub-invoice??) on a car you order from the factory?

The dealer will still make money with holdover cash if they sell it at invoice but their job is to get as much money out of you as they can.

edit: So when you order a car, do you put money down up front?

BaronW fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 3, 2010

BaronW
Apr 16, 2007

If I'm ordering a V6 automatic will the 3.31s have a significant drop in MPG? My commute is ~52 miles round trip cruising at highway speed in the morning and hellish stop and go on the way back. (I basically drive the entire 105 freeway in LA)

BaronW
Apr 16, 2007

pienipple posted:

Any difference in mileage due to the gearing will be infinitesimal.

Will the acceleration improvement be worth $400, then? :confused:

BaronW
Apr 16, 2007

VibrioCholera posted:

A 3.31 is the biggest baby gear on earth. Fortunately a V6 automatic Mustang is now a respectable choice of Mustang compared to past offerings. If you're buying the 6 for the gas mileage to performance factor I'd spend the $400. It's really going to wake the car up.

Alternatively if you have cold feet on the situation you can always buy whatever gear (2.73?) that comes in it and then be utterly disappointed. It's about ~$200 for a gear kit and about ~$350 to have someone install it correctly. Going this route you can get a higher gear than a 3.31 (which still is pretty boring.) Even with a 4.10 the car will probably pull 60 by the end of second gear. It's all dependant on how much throttle you're giving it.

I'd recommend going to a 3.73 minimum myself down the road. The mileage difference is not a factor at all. All that you'll really feel is the fact that the car is a hell-of-a lot more responsive. I posted a chart a page or two back ago that looked at different gear ratios / speeds / RPMs on an SN-95. You can get a pretty good feel there.

Basically what I'm saying is go bigger by all means. A 4.10 in a manual feels like more shifting but in an automatic it'll just feel like way more power since you're not inconvenienced by the shorter gears at all.

With a 3.73 your 0-60 pull is still going to be done in second. This isn't a Cobra Jet. Ford isn't going to overgear its 6 cylinder. Again, different cars but really what people should see is the classic saying, don't fear the gear.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will pop up and find a reason against it but I'm going to say nope. Maybe I'm just stuck in the SN-95/II days but any naturally aspirated car deserves the biggest gear possible if you're looking for performance. When looking at forced induction it's a different story. Let the motor do the work and not the gear (to a point. I'm not ever going to run a 4.56 on my setup.) Not to mention no one is ever going to go in your car and say "hey, you have too big of a gear!" Instead you'll hear, "holy hell, this pulls like hell." All you're losing is top speed and you're probably never going to notice the car only does 170 mph instead of 210 or something ridiculous.

Thank you, this is exactly the answer I was looking for. :)

BaronW
Apr 16, 2007

Yellow-blaze metallic tricoat is in the mustang builder! :woop: ...I think I'll stick with black, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronW
Apr 16, 2007

I find it interesting that the performance package includes spoiler delete.