Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

frozenphil posted:

Maximum Motorsports has everything you need. Look under just about any racing Mustang that takes corners and you'll find their stuff there.
I've heard good things about them. How does Griggs Racing compare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Killbot posted:

I remember some Ford engineer saying the reason why they didn't put a Watts Link in was because the current setup only had several millimeters of deflection. Even that is enough to dance the rear end just a bit. I hear the difference between a Mustang with the regular panhard and a Mustang with an aftermarket Watts Link is pretty phenomenal.
I've been dwelling on this for a while. Given the kind of slop you get in suspension mounts over time, it seems crazy that the panhard bar is still set up for less than a cm of deflection at the middle. Couldn't they just mount it statically at the diff and do more tuning at the two ends?

Still, if they want to keep evolving SLA ride quality, maybe they could pay the extra couple hundred in parts and labor for a Watts Link. You could even use harder bushings for longer-term consistency in suspension articulation because of the extra support in a Watts Link, right? Or maybe they could do a Mumford link, which has different advantages and packaging options: http://www.not2fast.com/chassis/mumford.gif

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

redscare posted:

Thank Ford. Not only did they finally put modern, not-terrible engines into it, they hired some lich kings or archmages or something to work black magic on the suspension. In the Boss, you can't even tell its got a LRA.

So on the street, it doesn't have the shimmy that you found with the '11 GT?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The solid axle factor is a legit test parameter.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I dunno if I'd want to step up to the Laguna Seca trim. I kind of like having back seats.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

It's way too much for anything approaching a daily driver.

No way. People could daily drive it in all but the worst cities (Boston :negative:) just fine. They wouldn't, but modern suspensions are flexible enough that a race car would still be tolerable to ride and not tear itself apart.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The only way the Mustang will make progress is if Ford pays off GM and Chrysler to put the Camaro and Challenge back on solid axles.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kill me now posted:

Seriously a regular GT with some scrub Continental challenge slicks on spare wheels and good pads should run rings around your average m3 driver at the track.

Not if it's the average Mustang driver at the wheel.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kill me now posted:

The boss is an awesome car with a lot of neat features, i was just saying that if your objective is to blow passed m3's you dont need to spend all that extra money to do it.

My objective is to remind everyone how much Trans Am, and therefore America, owned and owns.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kalvick posted:

I Remember there was an episode of Top Gear, where they pitted a Shelby GT500 against a Roush. The Shelby was more powerful, faster, and more expensive.
the Roush was a stock Mustang with a S/C and suspension mods up the wazoo. The Roush was several thousands less and a lot less powerful.

Jeremy said he would rather take the Roush to the track because of its superior suspension upgrades.

Do you remember that from the last page? :)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

From a sales perspective, I don't think the Boss was intended to compete against the M3. Using it is a benchmark might be great marketing bullet point, but ultimately, the Boss will be for Mustang collectors and people who can be upsold from the GT.

Putting together a vehicle with huge capabilities from the factory is a nice thing. You don't have to research how to modify the car, and you get to use it exactly as the engineers designed it. The Raptor is the same idea. Whether any significant portion of the owners will exercise the intended capabilities is secondary.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The Windsor has a reputation for easy power. One example I thought of is putting on a bigger cam. Which is in fact a single camshaft that'll go in the valley and drive all 4 sets of intake and exhaust valves.

The Coyote motor aftermarket has been well served with bolt-on mods. Does the hydraulic variable timing hardware and having to do 4 camshafts mean that tuners are more reluctant to go after an aftermarket cam setup?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Why spend the money if you don't need to?

True enough. I remember in my SVT Focus, the cam was pretty much what you'd want for FI applcations, so no need to change it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

shodanjr_gr posted:

I wanna do dual-exhausts + mufflers on my V6 at some point for reasons totally pertaining to road safety and not related whatsoever to my masculinity.

What do people think of the Borla Atak exhausts? I like that high pitched, choppy sound.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kronix posted:

My clutch has been getting really lovely lately and now when I first start I can't ever get into gear. 1-2 and 2-3 are getting more and more notchy...gently caress

You've only had it for like 4 months, right? How many miles?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Double posting because this is hilarious to me. How much tuning ability is there in the stock ECU? How about enough to allow your car to sound like it has some huge lopey cams at idle, but transitions to a normal tune profile once you pass 1k RPMs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gamElP1BSn8

Is that good for the car, other than excess fuel consumption? The normal idle sounds mean enough, I think.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

But will that canned tune necessarily deliver the smoother shifting he wants? It might just be aggressive for the guys who want to drag their autos with the utmost precision and wringing out of the motor.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

frozenphil posted:

It didn't have the TSB number and it also said that it wasn't the fluid they were changing but the clutch assembly. :colbert:

Someone actually outdragged you to it, phil:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=389367278#post389289443

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Yeah, I meant the Ecoboost going into a GT-level model, not the GT500.

Cost-wise, which motor costs more, the Ecoboost V6, or the Coyote?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ssssss, this is gonna cause the same problem as the original SVO -- it costs more to make but you don't want to step on the GT's toes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

In the case of the F-150, the ecoboost puts out a slightly more HP and lot more torque than the 5.0 and gets slightly better fuel mileage. Nearly as much torque as the 6.2l option. If tuned for a mustang application, it should outperform the 5.0 in virtually every respect except maybe exhaust note.

I have no doubts that a stock-tune Ecoboost V6 could make better numbers than the 5.0 while still having sellable fuel economy. I just question if people would buy that. Inevitably, it would be a "for $X more, you can get a GT500" situation. So either it would have to be the GT500 (unlikely that they'd want to crank the power up that high) or be roughly the same price as the GT, which might rob GT sales and get them less margin.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kronix posted:

There's no reason to believe it'll be slotted in between the pony package and the GT because they're making it a premium option on their trucks already. They ecoboosted F150 costs more than the V8 because of fuel savings.

A truck has way different reasons for being than a Mustang. An Ecoboost V6 is a good play for a work truck. I know there's plenty of people out there who buy trucks as their fun daily drivers, and I bet they would still want the big V8.
I'd say a similar sentiment still holds sway over the bulk of Mustang enthusiasts.

There was nothing wrong with the original SVO compared to its contemporary GT, and it way undersold Ford's targets.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Fair enough, but the RX8 is out the door because its fuel consumption is so atrocious that it can't meet modern emission standards. On top of that low-for-a-V8 fuel economy, it doesn't even make enough power to keep up with Mazda's own turbo four cylinder, which also gets better mileage and has better reliability (sorry RADL).

This is an aside, but evo magazine noted that the new 4B11 motor does worse in CO2 emissions than the higher hp V8 in the 458 Italia. That's not a metric we care as much about in the US, but it does show that turboing a smaller engine isn't a straight silver bullet.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Oxytocin posted:

Only the whitest of trash would openly brag about displacement size these days. Seriously, I believe public opinion has matured a little since the sixties

I sincerely hope that NRFD is still alive and well in this great land :911:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

hahahaha found this related. What plays here is a minute of the worst performed, finest AI spergin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygSeJeGUwsk#t=2m

If I stop laughing I'll transcribe for its sheer ridiculousness.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

A local dealer is getting a single Laguna Seca in the summer, and they happily told me it's gonna have a $5k markup on MSRP.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kronix posted:

I doubt it. From what I understand, the most any dealership is going to get is 1 or 2 if they're really lucky and they're not going to waste their allocation selling it for sticker price if they think they can do better.

Or maybe they will, who knows.

The internet manager agrees with the latter -- all of them are getting allocated, and she's naturally unwilling to help me search. What sucks is that the Ford site redirects your Search-for-car request only to the closest dealer by zip code. There's no way to send the same query about inventory to multiple dealers at once.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

pienipple posted:

Laguna Secas are distributed by internal lottery, there are at least a dozen dealers in my region and 3 cars alotted for all of us.

Are the normal Bosses lotteried, too? Are the 3 cars you're talking about all Laguna Secas? I really don't need a back seat delete or a bigger splitter to ruin on something.

e: on Ford's Find Your Vehicle page, the wizard doesn't validate your address against the zipcode you put in, so I just spammed the request using zipcodes of some nearby city centers, to cast the net a bit wider.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 31, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Killbot posted:

Well they'll be making more Boss Mustangs next year too, so there will be more to go around.

My spamming has netted one dealer that claims they can order it, and isn't charging a markup. They're faxing me a sheet. It seems too slick to be true. At this point, I'm assuming it's just a ploy to get me in the office and sell me something else. Which would be infuriating.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

frozenphil posted:

I guess we've found out what the "market adjustment" is going to be on the Laguna Seca Boss 302s, apparently it's $108k.

That'll never fly. I can't imagine MA is a hot area for Mustangs, but here it's just $5k. It's ridiculous that they've seen multiple 90k offerings. The markup on the ZR1 was nowhere near as bad, right?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The Third Man posted:

it's not really a fair comparison, the new mustang has essentially been out for 5-6 years now and the camaro is the hot new kid on the block, of course it's going to outsell.

That argument seems flawed. The new body style went on sale about the same time that the Camaro returned. And then the 5.0 came out. There's no reason the Camaro can reasonably considered the new kid on the block. I think the numbers simply show that there are a lot of Camaro fans out there. Either who like the design, love Camaros, or are diehard bowtie partisans.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Driving 2 hours to talk to the internet sales guy (or someone) about the Boss Mustang tomorrow morning. Any tips about Ford sales numbers or anything that I could use?
I'm not planning to sign anything. Just trying to confirm that they're actually able to order at MSRP, which I haven't found at any other dealer in the area.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The dealer wasn't that friendly, but the MSRP deal for a Boss is real. It seems like Bosses that had been ordered as early as December are only now getting unblocked by material availability issues. So now that they're freed up, the waiting time might be lessened. I think I'm gonna try to find at least a closer dealer that can do MSRP, or maybe better.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mungtor posted:

I know you're in the greater Boston area. Which dealer did you end up checking out?

Maybe I'm being crazy, but I'm not gonna say specifically which one just yet. It's in Maine, since none of the local dealers that I've asked will do even MSRP.

I'm not sure I'll get it, but if I do get, I'm sure it'll get shown off and driven at the track (lefty-righty, not straight).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

For all you guys talking about buying. How come you aren't just using truecar? It's showing me right now a '11 GT for 26,835 base. Do truecars deals not hold up if you don't have good credit?

I gave it a shot. We'll see if these dealers it found who're closer wanna talk turkey.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The bad tranny issues are coming to a boil:
http://jalopnik.com/#!5792482/faulty-chinese+built-transmissions-plague-new-ford-mustang
It seems like at least Ford is being somewhat responsive about it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

For all you guys talking about buying. How come you aren't just using truecar? It's showing me right now a '11 GT for 26,835 base. Do truecars deals not hold up if you don't have good credit?

So I tried to use Truecar. It seems to fall out where you'd want it the most -- cars that don't have much negotiation budge. None of the dealerships that honored whatever deal Truecar offered could actually order a Boss, so it was no different from what I already did -- contacting dealers at random to see if they could.

e: fffff, it's so righteous looking:
http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/04/19/how-one-lucky-mustang-enthusiast-bought-boss-302-0001/

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 19, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Dislike:
asymmetrical headlamps

How are they asymmetrical?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

PT6A posted:

How do you drive a car like that on the street? Even stock, I have to be careful to make sure my front end doesn't scrape when, for example, driving onto a ferry or driving out of a parking garage onto the street, to say nothing of scraping on any curbstone when parking (though that's really easily avoidable, of course).

:( The Boss is only lowered 1 cm past that, but it wouldn't make an easy daily driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Wanna keep being all :supaburn: about this:
http://jalopnik.com/#!5796207/ford-silent-on-broken-mustang-transmissions

That's the tranny in the Boss Mustang, right?