Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've heard people talk about SN95 mustangs, and how they're as depreciated as they're ever going to be. Looking around at some of my local craigslists I'm seeing nice examples for 3k. I've never owned a performance car of any kind and I'd like to pick up a SN95 mustang to cut my teeth, beating a NA or NB Miata because I'm from the south and want a v8 .

So I wanted to ask about the engine. The impression I'd gotten from lurking here was to go for the 302 from 94 and 95, but my friend said the aftermarket would be crap compared to the modular v8. I was surprised anyone could say the 5.0 would have poor aftermarket support but he argued it was because the car has an ECU. I've never owned any sort of performance car so my goals for the car would be quite modest; is one notably cheaper/easier to work on, both in terms of basic stuff like changing alternators and air compressors and if I do catch horsepower fever is one cheaper and more straight forward bring up to 300ish horsepower?

For my first enthusiast car is there anything to recommend one sn95 v8 over the other? Price to buy, price to fix, ease of maintenance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I see a lot of clean new edge mustangs here and new hotness but not much 05-10. Are they not liked for some reason (that generation of modular v8?) Or are they just in a weird spot where they cost more than people might have on hand if they're buying used but are also too old for anyone to want to finance?

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 14, 2016

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm scanning craigslist and Car Gurus because I'm on vacation next week and plan on buying a car, and if I can resist the call of sanity to purchase an econobox I'd like a mustang, maybe some people with a little free time wouldn't mind helping me find craigslist gold?

I'm looking to spend 5-6k on a new edge mustang, which I don't think is unreasonable in my area, w/ manual. I'd prioritize a seller that's had the car for a while and has good service records over low mileage (I know I need to/should have a mechanic look over the car before I buy it).

I don't know if I'll find what I want in the time frame that I'm looking, but I've got this sneaking suspicion that if I buy the reasonable econobox I'm just going to regret it a month from now. The pain is that prices seem really poo poo exactly where I live, Gulfport MS 39503, so I have to drive hundreds of miles to get to a big city where the prices seem better.

Edit - honestly though I should probably go for any Mustang and not focus on New Edge, a decent fox body or anything between there and 04 would be fine. And screw not including convertibles; I'd have to consider each case in turn and it's more about finding a decent example in my price range.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 24, 2016

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Was this the same mustang that was white with red sideview mirrors and just a bit of red trim along the side panel? I too like white cars and I this is a great way to add some color and distinction to what might otherwise look, as others have warned, like a rental car.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I blame that engine bay detailing vid that uses time laspe. It only takes ten minutes!!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm not getting anywhere with Google, can anyone recommend someplace that documents all the differences/parts sharing between 2011-14 gts vs pp v6s? And I guess generally what parts are universal to all mustangs in that year range?

They share the same transmission right? And the same suspension if the v6 has a performance pack? And almost all of the interior or whatever is the same aside from trim levels? So what changes? Just junk that directly connects to the engine? Engine, intake, exhaust? Ignition?

My internet window shopping demands DETAILS. I know someone, somewhere, has sperged on this and I want to benefit from it.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 21, 2018

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What mustang would you buy at $5k, $10k, and $15k?

The choices in my area would seem to be a very nice sn95 with a 5.0, an early s197 with a 4.8, and then it gets into whether you want a newer non v8 or an older v8.

Around here it seems like both 05-10 s197 4.8s and 11-14 3.7s won't drop below $10k.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's just because you had one recently. I haven't driven one since they were current and it's juuust starting to wrap around on me. It helps that his is beautifully kept.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Here's an explanation I found but in no way vetted: "They're partly based on the W211 Mercedes-Benz E-Class, and the only MB transmission that could handle more than 300ft-lb of torque was the 5G-TRONIC (722.6) automatic, known in Chrysler circles as the W5A580. That's also the reason why you don't get any of the larger-engined Mercs with a manual.

When the platform was adapted for the Challenger, they made provisions for a Tremec TR6060 6-speed manual, but the market for a manual Charger is likely small enough that it's not worth the R&D expense to make the same changes to the saloon."

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So what's the average life span on the i4 turbos? Do they have a major service like, uh, bearings or pulleys or anything that happens in addition to their total replacement? I've never owned a forced induction car, and I dont know what these ultra modern ones are like, or what it means now that they're aging.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The turbo needing to be replaced within the life of the engine was my specific question, but than you for the additional information; are these issues that would make themselves known in the first 30k, 60k etc, or could they show up whenever?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey, google is failing me (or me it), when did the mustang get a power convertible top? 2005?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's the best grey I've ever seen, it looks deep and lush like wet clay, not chalky and flat and primered like every other grey car. Really nice.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Wow are they normally that one to one?

I mean I played gta5/online a fair bit and I thought they were always "recognizable but distinctly changed". Like, I drove the 2005 mustang analog and it wasn't exactly the same. Or is that not exactly the same as a sn95?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think it looks fine but I literally can't imagine a good dash because I've seen them ruined by displays for, what, a decade now? I'd probably have to go look at, I don't know, cyberpunk 2077 dashes or other works of fiction to see anything good.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm trying to find a decent first gen S197, and it's like, in other parts of the country original owners are selling their cherished Mustang after decades of careful ownership, whereas where I live people are posting"lol I dunno" and seemingly had to sneak photos of the car without someone else noticing.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm currently the high (and only) bidder on this Black Mustang GT with a manual trans and premium interior.

I've never bought a car on ebay and I'm a little leery of buying anything I can't test drive or at least see running myself, but pickings are slim here and I haven't seen a car with these specific options in a month of watching local ads.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

opengl posted:

Those tail lights are tragic and would seriously make me question anything else the PO(s) have touched

I agree, and also the center console knobs are also pretty tasteless, but I don't see any mention of under the hood mods or anything. One that was all stock would be ideal, but if I'm being honest I'm just ready to buy. I like that this one is going to have maintenance records for the last hundred thousand miles. Hoping spark plugs are somewhere in that list.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Getting this Mustang shipped to me had some unnecessary last minute drama in that the truck driver turned into the Archer's Paradox - every time he called me he was a little closer, but always more late. The final phone call he said he was "four minutes away" and I could see him about 500, feet away, in a neighborhood, on the wrong side of the railroad tracks that split the town, railroad tracks that aren't crossable in a semi unless you drive the long way around.

I drove the car a couple minutes, just back to the house, I'm going to get my tag and insurance sorted out today. First impressions from that drive:

1) It's not as easy as I'd thought to ease the car out of first with no gas, I stalled it a couple time.

2) I kept shifting way too early because I was like "surely the engine doesn't want to make THAT much noise."

3) the gear shifter isn't as nice as my 2010 Mazda 3

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 16, 2023

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I drove it home on my lunch break and the shifter felt a little better. But it feels a little looser and a little less precise. I don't feel the shifter making a few precise "clicks" through various internal, uh, things, like I did in the Mazda. I stalled it a couple more times driving it home, but I'm already getting a little more used to it.

Wikipedia says it uses the Tremec TR-3650, which I don't think has the same problems as the newer MT, which does seem to be pretty bad just based on what I've seen in this thread.

Edit: To be clear, when I was driving it home and was more willing to wind the motor out just a little, I got it. I had to try not to drive around with a huge grin.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 16, 2023

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

What is this part with the blue bar? Is it the throttle body? I don't see the blue bar on GIS pics, I'm trying to determine if this is stock or what. The PO said the Mustang takes premium gas, which isn't what the owners manual says.

Edit: Further googling suggests it's a "Jet Performance Products" billet aluminum spacer, and it's basically just designed to let more air into the intake. Sounds like one of those nonsense mods that makes FAHVE HUNNERT HARSEPOWAH?

Edit2: And that's apparently a "Power Plus series" aftermarket throttle body.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 19, 2023

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is there any recommended parts brand I should be looking at? I was going to try to stick to motorcraft where possible, but I really have no clue. In the past I would just huy whatever was in the blue colored bracket on Rock Auto.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

orange juche posted:

Motorcraft is OE parts, Steeda and CJ Pony Parts are both reputable as well, but those two focus entirely on performance stuff for a Mustang. Other people have other recommendations I'm sure, I've only used Steeda and CJ Pony Parts though.

Thanks, I'm still trying to get my bearings in terms of buying replacement parts.

Relatedly, I watched a video on replacing the wheel hub assembly which suggested I'd also need to buy new hub nuts and seal caps. The video includes the ford part. However, I can't seem to find the caps on Rock Auto, though the part number does get a hit on CJ Pony Parts. Am I just over looking these parts on Rock Auto? I'd like to avoid ordering from lots of different websites if I can'

Update: after a lot of frustration with finding the parts both online and in person, I started using the website Late Model Restoration, which specializes in Mustangs, and easily ordered everything I need.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Oct 29, 2023

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've been driving my 06 Mustang GT for a while now and I need to ask other owners if my experience is normal.

This car stalls very easily.

If I'm idling, and I let the clutch out too fast without setting the throttle with the gas pedal, it stalls. I've owned other manuals transmission cars, and I'm just really surprised by how easily this high torque v-8 will die if I don't pay a pretty significant amount of attention to the clutch and throttle. In contrast, I owned a straight six F-150 where I'd routinely get going with all clutch and no gas because; you basically could not stall it because even if you took your foot entirely off of the clutch immediately the truck would just lurch forward, chug once, and go. The mustang acts a lot more like my Mazda M3 where it really wants you to set the engine considerably above idle as you let the clutch out with some care; in fact it's noticeably harder to get a smooth shift in the mustang.

Perhaps relatedly, the throttle seems to hang for just a split second when giving the mustang gas: if I press down on the gas pedal there's a small but very real delay before the revs rise. This led to me stalling the car quite a bit at first, because in the Mazda I can get the clutch to the bite point at the same time I feather the throttle and they both respond instantly.

So what's up? Normal mustang behavior or is something going on here?

Edit: lol I complained about this in much less detail the day I bought the car, well this is me coming back much later and saying "it's still not me!"

It's funny how much nicer the much less cool Mazda is, I guess it really is the driver's econobox; thanks SA for steering me towards owning one.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cage posted:

I vaguely remember a slight delay when mashing the pedal but the more annoying part was how the rpms would hang if you blipped it.

That's what it actually is; if I'm in gear and driving and put the pedal down the response is immediate. If I'm clutched in and give it a little tap, nothing happens.