Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
SHUT THE gently caress UP

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
SHUT THE gently caress UP

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

A.o.D. posted:

One thing I noticed about the 5.0 I test-drove was that it did not have a front sway bar.

What's up with that? Is there some trim level that has them while others don't? I thought every 5.0 had a front sway.

If you mean a strut tower brace, I don't think any of them do?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Skyssx posted:

I was thinking of this the other day. What's to stop you from seafoaming your DI car once a year? Problem solved?

Toyota's DI engines in their Lexus models have another set of injectors in the manifold that solve the problem.

http://books.google.com.hk/books?id...jection&f=false

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

frozenphil posted:

335kw = 449hp
Basically the same as the 525hp Whipple kit. I bet the Aussie engine got lower compression pistons and a forged shortblock though.

quote:

The Boss runs the standard 5.0 block and heads, but has unique cam timing and a different exhaust valve. There are stronger connecting rods, unique pistons, a cast stainless steel exhaust manifold (instead of fabricated steel), a different front end accessory drive, an engine oil cooler and a unique winged oil pan that holds 8.66 quarts of oil. It runs at a significantly lower compression ratio of 9.25-to-1 instead of 11-to-1.

Unlike any other Ford engine, the Boss 5.0 uses a free-flowing metal matrix catalytic converter that is normally only used by sports car makers such as Porsche and Ferrari.

FPV has set the boost pressure extremely low, at 5 pounds per square inch for the base engine and 6 psi for the higher-output version, leaving plenty of headroom to move up with subsequent model improvements.

The Boss Ute has an upgraded six-speed ZF automatic transmission to cope with the extra torque or a newly refined version of Tremec’s six-speed manual.

This has the intercooler on top of the blower, like the ZR-1.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Micromancer posted:

That doesn't sound like much fun at all. It's pretty ragged though. Maybe the PO left something valuable in it :v:

Power isn't everything, driving a slow car fast can be fun. Lots of people drive Miatas.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KlementGottwald posted:

You really wouldn't want this. Really, really wouldn't want this.

Other than your house, a car is likely to be your biggest purchase. Unless the car is a Porsche 928. :tipshat:

Thanks speedsportlife.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Powershift posted:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10q4/lightning_lap_2011-feature

car and driver posted their new lightning lap times. The v6 stang finished quicker than the wrx sti, v6 genesis coupe r-spec, and last year's mustang GT. They were against the 114mph governer for more than 15 seconds/lap, and said without it, it would have bested the 370z's time.

This really deserves its own thread. We haven't had a good benchracing thread since the last lightning lap came out, and I've got a lot of pent up energy. :dance:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

kimbo305 posted:

Isn't bore spacing one of the things that isn't changed in an engine family? Or rather, a practical limit of tooling used to make a variety of engines

The 6.2l is a different family.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

sliderule posted:

Also, it's hard to use the mid-range. It's either the top or bottom end. Hill assist mode helps, I guess. I'm sure replacing the 2.73 gears would help more.

Does it have 2.73 gears?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

frozenphil posted:

The 2.73 ratio is standard, 3.31 is optional. Since it was a canceled order it may have the 3.31 gears, but I doubt it; if it was just a normal dealer car I'd seriously doubt it. I bet 3.31 equipped v6 Mustangs are pretty rare, actually.

3.31 is standard equipment for the Canadian market, like I posted earlier in the thread, although now that I check ford.ca, they only list it as standard for the manual, so its possible that the automatic might be different. Strange that they don't say either way.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

sliderule posted:

e: Yeah, seems it's the 3.31

Is it? :v:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Powershift posted:

the 2.73 is standard on the value leader, the 3.31 is standard with the pony package.

I think 3.31 is standard on all all V6 except the value leader, you don't need the pony package. I guess the value leader was something they brought out later - I don't remember it being there when the Mustang launched. Ford's PDF must have been made before the VL came out, so it shows 3.31 as standard across the board.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The gt regularly outruns the Sti and evo on car and driver's lightning lap, so it sure better feel faster than a WRX.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

goodfuldead posted:

That iteration of the show is terrible.

Or maybe I just don't like TV shows that aggressively spread ignorance on a subject where many people would be well served to be better informed.

If I remember that episode correctly, they drive the first generation 2007 GT500, Clarkson goes lol dumb American oxcart suspension, and at the end they throw in a drive of a Roush version that does the same lap in the same time. They never mention exactly how the Roush suspension was different, I guess Roush puts in springs, dampers and a Watt's linkage, but now the internet meme is that the Roush had IRS.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

lazer_chicken posted:

The best part was when they put the '65 or '66 or whatever on the dyno and then whined about how it was "down on power" as well. Even setting aside the flywheel vs. tire horsepower difference, do they seriously not know the difference between gross and net horsepower?

Well to be sure, "gross horsepower" was really a thing invented by the marketing department of the Big 3. European and Japanese car makers never used it in their own markets, so even if they knew their non-American audience would have no idea and they would have to spend 5 minutes explaining why in America when you say 400hp you actually mean 135hp or whatever.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 8, 2011

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Yo dawg

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The plant where they make Mustangs and Mazda6s has been idled due to both lack of parts from the Japanese earthquake and because they have a 116 day supply of Mustangs. It seems that sales of the Mustang have really not met expectations, they are about on par with the Challenger and way behind Camaro.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
There were earlier posts about swapping a Tremec in, so maybe that's what you meant?

Anyway reading the links posted it seems the problem is with the design of the shift linkage, not with the guts of the trans itself.

EDIT: There's a link in that thread about similar problems with the GT500 too (Tremec TR6060). I guess you guys should have bought M3s after all, it's the only way to be sure. v:downs:v

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Apr 16, 2011

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

CombatWombat posted:

I imagine if they based a Lincoln off the Mustang underpinnings it'd get a lengthened wheelbase at the very least. LWB apparently screams luxury in China, and it seems to be making its way elsewhere as well.

They could just stick with the FWD Taurus underpinnings honestly. It's a pretty good platform and no one (certainly not the Chinese) really cares about which wheels are driven.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Muffinpox posted:

Maybe you should buy a real car, corvettes are designed ground up to be convertibles so there's no extra weight or flex with one :smug:

Based on reviews I've read, the Camaro was also designed from the ground up to be a vert, since no one can see anything out of the coupe.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Devyl posted:

Am I the first in thinking that this new Mustang is probably one of, if not the most, impressive Mustangs ever built stock from the factory? I mean think about it (and your right, phil)... What else will $35,000 get you, and you can have something that will outrun almost every car on the road? As well as retaining great gas mileage?

:golfclap: Ford

I guess it's a nice change from the old days when every new model was slower/worse than the last?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ha, it really does kinda.

Also, you will almost never see start/stop implemented on non-hybrids until the EPA fuel economy test is updated to account for it in ratings. Even though it does result in a significant real-world improvement, manufacturers don't want to spend the money on it because no improvement in MPG on the sticker = no improvement in sales.

The only US market non-hybrid to have it is the Panamera. I guess with Porsche's volume it was cheaper to just leave it in rather than engineer a different, shittier drivetrain just for Americans like the others.

The other problem so far is that conventional torque converter automatics which need the engine to circulate their fluid don't work well when the engine is constantly shutting off, which is why companies like BMW only had start/stop on the manual trans models. It's part of the reason the Euros are switching much of their lineup to dual clutch, which are more efficient to start with and also ready for start/stop out of the box.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
"Launch Control" on a manual trans is just a throttle based rev limiter, what's so difficult about that? Surely you can program that into the ECU aftermarket.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

CombatWombat posted:

Compared to the 5.0, the Ecoboost 3.5 produces equal or better (I forget) horsepower and pound-feet numbers, and the Ecoboost gets better mileage. Despite this being AMURRIKA :patriot: , people are recognizing that the Ecoboost V6 is a better engine than the V8*. The Ecoboost costs a little more than the V8, too.

Too bad V6s still sound like poo poo.

* For the F150.

The 5.7l Hemi in the Dodge Ram puts out more power than either the 3.5l turbo or the 5.0l, and gets mileage in between, only because it's still sitting in front of a 5 speed trans instead of the Ford's 6 speed. It is also substantially cheaper than either. GM's 6.2l engine is even more powerful than the Chrysler's 5.7 and gets the same fuel economy in the Silverado with the 6 speed as the 5.0l Ford, although I think you can only get it on the expensive top trim truck.

So gently caress your turbo this and turbo that. OHV V8s are where it's at. :colbert:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Fucknag posted:

If only Dodge transmissions weren't made of tissue paper and chewing gum.

Also there is no Dodge Ram anymore. Perhaps you're referring to the Ram Pickup, built by Fiat?

Tell me more about your reliability issues with the 545RFE.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

goodfuldead posted:

Chrysler still can't make a decent car to put their motors in, nor a transmission to put behind it. Moot point I say.

edit: your a drat liar too, I just looked it up and 388hp for the 5.7 "hemi" is not more than the ~412hp the new 5.0 makes. Unless your talking about the truck 5.0, which if so, who cares about trucks?

...and the new 8 speed autos will be out next year, too. Once again, Chrysler leapfrogs GM and Ford in transmission tech! :smug:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/06/kia-to-show-rear-drive-v8-coupe-concepts-in-frankfurt-detroit/

There's a V8 RWD Kia coupe in the pipeline. Hopefully it will have a pushrod engine and live axle so Mustang buyers will have something to buy after the Mustang turns into a 240SX.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

frozenphil posted:

You do realize that Mustangs haven't had a pushrod engine for 16 years, right?

Why? You don't like pushrod engines?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
There was also that one guy who "fixed" his issues by reinforcing/adjusting the shifter mechanism and linkage, which would indicate that there was never anything wrong with the actual spinning whirrly bits of the trans anyway, but a problem with the alignment or fitment of the shift linkage.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
They had a bad batch of output shafts for the TR6060 that stopped Camaro sales last year. I guess it's not a safety issue so the NHTSA wouldn't care about it.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2009/07/2010-chevy-camaro-ss-on-hold-for-transmission-issues.html

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Did you open up the cap on the brake fluid resevoir?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

kronix posted:

It's inevitable man. We're talking about 54.5 MPG as a fleet average. If you don't think that's a MASSIVE change then you're underestimating how efficient cars are today. It's a 60-something% improvement from where we are today. The new Mazda3 is pushing a 14:1 compression ratio on a 2 liter engine and they're barely besting 40mpg on a reasonably small car.

mustangforumposter.txt

The new regulations are not going to force any changes to GM/Ford's business because GM/Ford and their lobbyists are the ones who wrote the new rules. Why would they write rules that would hurt themselves? V8 engines and trucks aren't going anywhere. Stop worrying.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

kronix posted:

Yes but we're talking about fleet average which means for every Ford F150 getting 30 MPG CAFE, you'll need to sell another car that does 79. There are exceptions built in for trucks but nothing for high performance cars that I can see. I'm not so sure what the "footprint" of the Mustang is so I can't be sure how bad it is.

No, trucks are in a seperate category, the current V6 F150 at 19mpg already meets all CAFE for the next 10 years. Also because F150s are flexfuel vehicles they actually get like 65mpg.

quote:

For the fuel economy calculation for alternative fuel vehicles, a gallon of alternative fuel is deemed to contain 15% fuel (which is approximately the amount of gasoline in a gallon of E85) [22] as an incentive to develop alternative fuel vehicles.[23] The mileage for dual-fuel vehicles, such as E85 capable models, is computed as the average of its alternative fuel rating—divided by 0.15 (equal to multiplying by 6.666) -- and its gasoline rating. Thus an E85-capable vehicle that gets 15 mpg on E-85 and 25 mpg on gasoline might logically be rated at 20 mpg. But in fact the average, for CAFE purposes, despite perhaps only one percent of the fuel used in E85-capable vehicles is actually E85, is computed as 100 mpg for E-85 and the standard 25 mpg for gasoline, or 62.5 mpg.[12]

quote:

This all assumes the auto companies don't push back and get the standards relaxed

Why won't anyone in Washington speak up for those poor car companies/the UAW/ARE MUSTANGS :qq:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

kronix posted:

I'll be honest I had no idea about the flex fuel exemption, that changes things a lot.

It doesn't change things a lot, the "bonus" from flexfule is limited to 1.2mpg across the vehicle range, and it's also going away in 2020. But it's enough for the domestic truck makers to make all their trucks and large cars flex fuel and gain a significant edge.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
On the other hand that is definitely frozenphill in the picture.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

PT6A posted:

If this were Quebec, maybe, but because of the chinook winds, we don't use nearly as much salt and roads are clear and dry most of the time anyway. Besides, I live in an apartment building with a shared garage; people track in so much poo poo on their cars that it gets filthy after a week of sitting anyway.

Mustangs (not the GT500) will leak diff oil out of the breather in the diff housing when driven hard. Keeps your underbody well lubricated and free of rust!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Elephanthead posted:

The Camaro pocket book killer version offers a diff cooler. It that just a heat sink diff cover?

The Shelby has a heat sink diff cover and the ZL1 has a seperate diff cooler, so...yes?

That's what GM claims anyway, the ZL1 isn't actually out yet so really who knows.

EDIT: It looks like Ford will also add a diff cooler on the 2013 Shelby.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

kimbo305 posted:

I don't get why Jalopnik called this ad creepy for having the girl's reflection be a lil devil suit.

I like how just after it transforms into the GT500, the rear passes over a bump and the car shimmies.

Was Black Swan a really creepy movie? Maybe it's not a reference that plays well with the Mustang demographic.