Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Faceless Clock posted:

I like Grabber blue as well. I hope they come out with a yellow or orange sometime in the future.

I think it is very much a Ford thing. Not just in the States, but in Europe as well. There is something that I find very cool about a fast Ford in a crazy color. I think it might be because it is one of the few ways to purchase a truly outlandish car without buying a supercar.

yellow blaze metallic tri-coat is available this year, it's another color that looks much better in person. the wide range of colors it shows up as in photography really demonstrates it.

it's the same yellow on the new fiesta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Faceless Clock posted:

Adjusted for inflation, the 2011 Mustang V6 costs about $500 more than did the 2001 Ford Focus SVT. I find that rather amazing.

Adujusted for inflation, a 2011 mustang V6 costs about the same as a hi-po 289 1965 mustang optioned up to match the 2011s standard features.

It also has 35 more horsepower, a 1" shorter wheelbase, and is 400lbs heavier.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ApathyGifted posted:

:suicide:

What would it take to remove 400 pounds from a Mustang, creature comforts be damned?

Which brings up another thing: rear seat deletes. The back seat in my current 2003 Mustang has only carried passengers once, carpooling to school for a semester (which I only did because I had the hots for one of the two girls I car pooled with). And once my best friend's wife rode in the back. That's it. However, it has carried all of my worldly possessions at least a dozen times. That includes two 4-foot tall tower speakers, 2 20" CRT monitors, a guitar, amp, and all my clothes. And a mid-sized desktop tower.

I would assume most weight is down to this factor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF6JUB7bCEk

airbags are heavy, structure is heavy. if you look at comparable cars:

nissan 370z: 3232lbs(nissan website)
v6 mustang: 3464 lbs(motor trend)
v6 altima coupe: 3294 lbs(nissan website)
V6 accord coupe: 3401 lbs(honda website)
v6 genesis coupe: 3389 lbs(hyundai website) 3476 lbs(motor trend)
v6 camaro: 3741 lbs(chevrolet website) 3794lbs(motor trend)
v6 challenger: 3819 lbs(dodge website) 3834lbs(motor trend)
BMW 335i: 3560 lbs(bmw website)
audi A5 3.2: 3737 lbs(audi website)
infinti G37: 3627 lbs(infiniti website)

It's not like all these companies conspired together and said "let's make our cars heavier than old ones!" it's just the cost of doing business these days.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=33096

new engines for the f-150s, basically the mustang engines with a few tweaks such as forged bottom ends for both engines, and a cam/heads for the 5.0 for low-end torque over horsepower.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

frozenphil posted:

They don't have forged bottom ends, just the same forged crank, powdered metal rods, and hypereutetic pistons that the Mustang has.

oh, it mentioned everything was strengthened for truck duty. i didn't know the v6 stang had a forged crank either.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Been wanting to do this for a while, but just finally got forza again.

didn't have anything to scale this one off of(last one, all the cars have the same 18" wheel), but it should be close:

Powershift fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Aug 18, 2010

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

RockSmart posted:

Added "Lava Red" which I guess is a dark red.

My god :fap:

I can't imagine how awesome that is going to look.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10q4/lightning_lap_2011-feature

car and driver posted their new lightning lap times. The v6 stang finished quicker than the wrx sti, v6 genesis coupe r-spec, and last year's mustang GT. They were against the 114mph governer for more than 15 seconds/lap, and said without it, it would have bested the 370z's time.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

3.31 is standard equipment for the Canadian market, like I posted earlier in the thread, although now that I check ford.ca, they only list it as standard for the manual, so its possible that the automatic might be different. Strange that they don't say either way.

the 2.73 is standard on the value leader, the 3.31 is standard with the pony package.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CamH posted:

After drooling all over the new Boss 302s, I find myself wishing that ford would continually make larger engines so that they could introduce Boss 351s and Boss 429s. That would be bitchin', and I prefer that name scheme to the Shelby GT500 name scheme.

The boss 777 engine could potentially be a 429 = 7.03 liter, the boss 777 is 7 liter, 700hp@7000 RPM. Would make for a monster.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Lava red: http://forums.themustangsource.com/f726/lava-clean-outside-492480/

God drat. That is a lovely color.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

OrganizedEntropy posted:

A few months ago I was at my local SVT dealership looking at 2011 GT500's. In Canada they cost around 60 - 70K. This dealership had 11 sitting in the showroom at the time so obviously they were very willing to negotiate to move the cars.

The dealership in question also had a used, blue on silver, 2009 KR sitting in the showroom. They were asking mid 90's for it.

I asked them what was up with that, since everyone would immediately pick up the newer car instead especially considering the price difference. The sales manager explained to me that it was one of the first KR's in Canada so as expected they were able to sell it with a significant "market/demand adjustment" on top of the MSRP. The buyer was desperate to have one first and bought it. He drove it for barely a year and then traded it in on another vehicle. The dealership made the mistake of paying him market value for the car.

And now they are stuck with the drat car and can't sell it as they aren't willing to take the significant loss to get it out of the showroom. As you can imagine, it is very difficult to sell a 2009 KR when it's sitting beside brand new 2011 GT500's that have a much slicker body, more options and more power for 20-30K less.

Car dealers get stupid at times. In a city of 80,000 people, between the 2 dodge dealerships(which are about 3 blocks away from eachother) they have about 20 challengers which they've had for quite a while now, and are still unwilling to budge on price. Most of em are fully loaded SRT-8 automatics too. A lot of money in stock sitting there.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

I snagged a 5.0 as a rental car last week ($35 more a day than a Grand Marquis? Yes please) last weekend and shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit I need one. None of the dealerships around here have a glass roof model, however, and I'm 100% a sunroof kind of guy. Ford really hit it out of the park with the new 5.0. Unwinding that thing all over town was the best part of my trip.

SO jealous. I'll be lucky if hertz has a v6 stang for $200/day this summer.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

mcmagic posted:

I think it depends how much you drive the car. If it's a weekend cruiser you have to go with the Manuel but if you're driving it every day I would go with the automatic.

My current daily driver requires far more shifts, and is a much larger pain in the rear end in traffic than any manual mustang could be, and i would still pick manual in either situation. Shifting becomes second nature and your right arm has a far better idea of what gear you want to be in than what an automatic transmission can decipher through the gas pedal.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I believe he was making a joke about the "manuel" transmission.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php/174322-5.0L-Coyote-Powered-Ford-Ranger-Truck

5.0 coyote ranger.

Stumbled onto this while fantasizing about a monster f-150.

Base $19,998 truck
$1,000 5.0 option
$6,500 kenne bell

lightning 3.0

for a little extra wacky, 6" flare pre-runner bedsides from fiberwerx, minitub, a couple mickey thompson 33X22.00R20LTs.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

OrganizedEntropy posted:

Lower claims against the GT500 is what they told me. Higher ownership numbers of the GT result in a higher amount of claims. Hell, the insurance on the GT500 is cheaper than on my truck, a 2009 Silverado 4x4.

I'm a diehard GM guy but this GT500 was the first car to seriously make me question that allegiance.

Not to mention the average GT500 driver is 52 years old and the average GT owner has been 12 for some time.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It has driving lights and a leather stripe down the seat, i'm pretty sure it's just a regular mustang GT with a bunch of parts from ford racing bolted onto it, likely to showcase the ford racing parts catalogue.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

When will tire technology catch up? I want 1+g static road holding. The new GT500 will certainly need it.

It's on the same tires, but quite possibly will be over 1g of road handling grip with the new suspension. Motor trend measured 0.99 with last years car

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Devyl posted:

What's killing me is the "fastback" look. It looks more like the rear end-end of a Prius.

Their inspiration is far more obvious

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

a 5.0 crate is only 6 grand through summit, a tremec t-56 is 2900.

This is aftermarket with both ford and summit making a profit. Even if that's what ford pays, i doubt the rest of the driveline parts are worth $5,100

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Number_6 posted:

A million years ago (1991) when I bought a new 5.0L V8 Thunderbird, the V8 option "only" cost $1085 more than the standard 3.8L V6. Kind of a shame all the manufacturers charge so much more for V8s now. Then again, that option price just got you the motor--no upgrades to the stock drum brakes, suspension, it probably didn't even have a limited slip diff.

The v8 is still only a $1000 option in the f-150. In canada, the base model v6 f-150 is $21,104 and with a v8 is $22,154.

The difference between the cheapest v6 mustang and the cheapest v8 mustang is $23,992 to $37,064. There's nearly $30,000 between the base mustang and the boss 302.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Devyl posted:

It's been all the chatter lately in the American auto news: The 2013 GT500 will make 662 horsepower and 630 ft/lbs. of torque. All while keeping the same low, low price of around $55,000. In case you forgot, that is over 100 more horsepower than the ZL1 Camaro and 24 more than the ZR-1 corvette at half the price.

gently caress the ZR-1, that's 1 more horsepower, and 70 more ft/lbs of torque than a ferrari 599 GTO. at 202mph it's the same top speed, now let's see if it can match the 3.6 second 0-60

edit: press release, bolding mine:

quote:

At 662 HP, 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 Certified As World's Most Powerful V8! Segment-Leading Fuel Efficiency

· The 5.8-liter supercharged V8 in the 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 is SAE certified at 662 horsepower and 631 lb.-ft. of torque
· The world's most powerful production V8 is backed up by chassis, aerodynamic and braking performance that makes the GT500 an outstanding all-around sports car
· Even with 112 horsepower more than the 2012 GT500, fuel economy is increased by 1 mpg both city and highway, 5 mpg better than Chevrolet Camaro ZL1

The all-new supercharged 5.8-liter powerplant in the 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 has been officially SAE-certified as the most powerful series production V8 in the world with peak output of 662 horsepower and 631 lb.-ft. of torque. That's more power and torque than low volume sports cars costing tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars more than the GT500, which is the most fuel-efficient vehicle in its segment. In fact the 2013 GT500 is the most fuel-efficient car with over 550 horsepower in any segment available in America.

Unlike high-strung engines found in much more expensive exotic supercars, the GT500 engine generates its massive thrust throughout its operating range with 395 lb.-ft. of torque available just off idle at 1,000 rpm. More than 90 percent of the peak torque is available from 2,200 to 5,800 rpm so that no matter when you squeeze the go pedal, the GT500 will just get up and run.

The combination of the new TVS 2.3-liter supercharger, twin overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder ensures this stallion can breathe all the way to 7,000 rpm with the peak power production coming at 6,500 rpm and holding fairly steady right to the rev limit.

"Our goal is to create outstanding all-around performance cars, not just stoplight-to-stoplight sprinters," said Jamal Hameedi, SVT chief engineer. "We've backed up this amazing powerplant with a more refined chassis tuning that helps keep the rubber on the pavement without punishing the driver's spine and six-pot Brembo brakes that dissipate speed with ease stop after stop."

The broad, flat torque curve of the GT500 engine makes it tractable and easy to drive whether trolling along in traffic or powering out of a turn on a twisting country road. With more than enough grunt to push the coupe to 200 mph and beyond, the chassis has been tuned to absorb the road imperfections that can cause instability at high speeds. The revised front fascia and splitter help manage the flow of air around and under the GT500 so that it offers 33 percent more effective aero loading at 160 mph compared to the 2011 model and feels more firmly planted.

"The engineers at Ford SVT focused on the fundamentals first with solid mechanical grip and strong brakes," added Hameedi. "On top of that platform they added advanced driver-adjustable electronic assist features including launch control, Bilstein adjustable damping, AdvanceTrac stability control and electric power-assisted steering."

Even with the most powerful production V8 in the world, the 2013 Shelby GT500 improves on the fuel efficiency of the 2012 model with an EPA-estimated 15 mpg city, 24 mpg highway and 18 mpg combined with no gas guzzler tax. That's 5 mpg better on the highway than the 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 even with an extra 82 horsepower and 75 lb.-ft. being generated under the hood. With the 2013 GT500 world-class performance no longer has to mean a world-class thirst for fuel.

The 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 will be built at AutoAlliance International Plant in Flat Rock, Mich.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 27, 2012

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fifty Three posted:

Holy poo poo.

I don't think I can be trusted with one.

Maybe you could go with the convertible. It's limited to 155mph, and might possibly be the most powerful production soft top....in the world.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kronix posted:

It has more torque off idle than the current GT has anywhere. I think we're at the point where the new GT500 is stupidly awesome. If it's anywhere near as good as I hope it's going to be, it's approaching super car levels of fast.

I certainly would love to kill myself in one.

It has the same amount of torque at 1000rpm as a ferrari 458 italia makes at peak, which is at 6000 RPM.

It might be the most powerful production soft top ever. I can't think of a more powerful one. The zonda cinque and veyron gran sport are obviously more powerful roadsters, but they're not conventional convertibles, more targa hard tops.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://youtu.be/EU1ym8nUOUs

11.81@123mph on stock tires for the 2013 gt500.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Billy Zane posted:

Update:

After making some more calls and sending emails, my friend found 3 dealers in Socal willing to sell a Boss 302 at MSRP and put down a deposit at one of them. Too bad there's no way to give a big "gently caress you" to all the dealers selling above MSRP. I can't wait to get a chance to drive it. :getin:

You could always leave 2 long black marks right through their lots.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I am absolutely obsessed with the shelby right now.

Destroying dynos and drag strips, it's just insane.

Here's a 75-160 run http://youtu.be/6zD5mPDAMpY

The pull between 75 and 110 is unbelievable.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

How long exactly have the 2013s been on the road?

http://erepairables.com/salvage-auction/cars/ford/mustang/2013-ford-mustang-1504682

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ssjonizuka posted:

I love that it's the v6 with a "0 speed" transmission.

The gears knew to get the gently caress out before poo poo really went sideways.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Micromancer posted:

Would it be cheaper to buy a rollover like that or all new parts if you wanted engine and entire drive train to transplant into a project? I'll never be able to afford to do it, but eh dreams gotta come from somewhere.

It's a crap shoot, you could get in there and find cracked bell housings or transmission cases. or something like that. It would be interesting to buy something like this and put the engine somewhere it doesn't belong.

http://erepairables.com/salvage-classifieds/cars/maserati/quattroporte/2005-maserati-quattroporte-1622373

edit: http://erepairables.com/salvage-classifieds/cars/ford/shelby+gt500/2011-ford-shelby+gt500-1586861

this whole car is cheaper than the crate engine from FRP. assuming all the coolant hasn't drained out of it, that would probably be a reasonable way to go.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 7, 2012

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fifty Three posted:

What am I missing? I mean other than the loving awesome whip. Are they not supposed to be out yet or what?

Also, I love the new lines on the '13s. Such subtle changes from earlier years, but it really reinforces the light-profile, curvy look that I love about early muscle cars.

independent rear suspension.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Do you have a picture of the damage? if it's just paint transfer you could fix it yourself in a couple minutes.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They're probably going to try to match the genesis coupe, in price and power output.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Locobono posted:

Hydroplaned my GT yesterday at freeway speeds. Clipped the embankment going sideways and rolled 2 or three times. Walked away with a cut on my head from a crash the paramedics said should probably have killed me. These are good cars.

Is the drivetrain ok? :ohdear:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

thetechnoloser posted:

Yeah. I know Ford was trying to hit the whole "305HP/31MPG" thing when they put a 2.73 in the 2011+ V6's, but _damn_ if a 3.73 doesn't make it a completely different, more :fh: car.

What RPM are you doing at 75mph, and what kind of fuel economy does that return?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Here's a thing on sales.

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2013/07/mustang-back-in-the-drivers-seat/#more-62545

Interestingly the Challenger is now running neck to neck with the Camaro, despite still being somewhat hampered by only having a 5 speed auto. The new 8 speeds apparently wont fit in the Challenger yet without some revisions and they probably won't be putting it in. They should really introduce a 6 speed manual for all the different trims/powertrains.

I don't think someone buying a v6 challenger really cares about the extra cog. The R/T is only 4 grand more(base model to optioned up even) and comes with the 6 speed stick standard. Compare that to an $8,700 gap on the mustang and a $9,300 gap on the camaro.

Edit: funny story, in canada, the gap v6-v8 challenger is $10,800, and the 5 speed auto is standard in the R/T with the 6 speed stick being a $2000 option. gently caress us right, it's not like the loving car is built here.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 6, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Is it possible something is loose with the CAI? a large vacuum leak post-MAF would cause similar issues.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm 6'9, 260lbs with a 38" inseam. There aren't many vehicles i would say i couldn't drive because of my height. FD RX-7, miata, and S2000 are out, but even the 370z and BR-Z aren't terribly uncomfortable. comparatively, the mustang is huge, and is still being made primarily for an american audience.

I guarantee you will fit in the new one, and there will more than likely be another 3-4 inches to be gained in the seat pedestal.

This is what i look like(although i was around 360lbs in this picture), in an FD RX-7, and i find the mustang comfortable, moreso than the current camaro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

blargle posted:

Has anyone been able to guesstimate the size of the 2015 from all the spy shots? If Ford can make a car the size of my WRX instead of a battleship, with 400+ horsepower, I'm sold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IheaziwE9Fs

In this video, it drives near an accord coupe and a current mustang.