Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I just got back from a week in Yosemite/Sequoia with a rental '11 V6 auto. I was actually very impressed with it, I was expecting a floaty un-fun car, but it actually handled the canyon roads admirably, especially given the "green" low rolling resistance bullshit tires. I had it down some "roads" that probably wouldn't even have been suitable for some trucks, it did well enough. My only major complaint was the transmission, which seemed to think 1200RPM is a suitable cruising speed, in any gear, at any speed. Made for good mileage (averaged 30MPG), but god drat getting that thing to downshift was a chore. Once you actually got it into the power band, it pulled nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

oRenj9 posted:

The L3-VDT is a pretty incredible engine all-around.

When people ask me what my plate means and I start explaining their eyes usually glaze over after a few seconds.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

lazer_chicken posted:

Oh you've got lots of experience then. If it were me, I would do the plugs myself and pray they came out fine, and then have it towed to a shop just for removal of the broken ones if any of them broke. I bet that would end up being cheaper than paying a shop to do it all, even if a couple broke. But certainly get some quotes and see.

If you're curious, here is the TSB from ford for how to change the plugs. This is technically for the F150 but it's the same on the Mustang. http://www.f150forum.com/f12/must-read-before-you-try-change-your-plugs-5-4l-3-valve-engine-198/

Basically, the idea is to back the plug out 1/4 turn, douse in penetrating oil, tighten and loosen 1/4 turn a bunch of times, and hope the bottom half of the plug has come unstuck by the time you start backing the plug out all the way.

What the christ, Ford

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Exactly the experience I had with my V6/auto rental. Very decent engine, ruined by terrible transmission programming, with Essentially no way around it. It just wants to get to top gear ASAP no matter how fast you are going.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

amp281 posted:

I'm kicking around the idea of getting a little blower like the Roush m90 or doing the Dept of Boost kit. I wouldn't mind making 400 rwhp (about a 100 more than current) and don't really feel like making more than that since thats about the limit of reliable operation on the 3v. I figure 400 would get me competitive with the 5.0 and the random vettes and gtos. Would also stomp most imports. I also have 4.10s and I figured any more power and I'd be better off with my original 3.55.

Gotta get dem imports :rice:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

I hate knobs with no markings, because it just means more syncho graunching by parking lot valets.

I'd never in a million years let any valet drive a manual vehicle of mine.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Captain Apollo posted:

Is it normal to have to fill up the GT once a week?

Geesus I love this car but god drat filling up once a week is going to be terrible!

I didn't realize mileage was based on time rather than distance driven

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

kalvick posted:

If you can every few weeks take the car cover off and start the car and run it for a little while. move all the parts of the car that require fluids to keep them moving.... transmissions, wheels, steering, brakes, etc... you dont want that stuff settling too much. make sure you tires are not flat spotting and roll em around.

Bad advice, don't start it unless you're going to drive it at least 15-20 minutes to burn the moisture off.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Cage posted:

Id rather not drive it because of all the salt on the roads, but would idling be ok or no?

Sitting there idling it will never get to full temperature. All you're doing is wearing the engine.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Sadi posted:

Seriously, my girlfriend has a base v6 with the 6 speed. I really really like it. It's pretty quick, at least as fast as my dad's wax. It gets better MPG, it's quieter, smoother, and shifts better. Honestly I'm not sure what car you could get for 20k new that I like better. I also like the trans, coming from a mistake (which has an awesome shifter), the mustang has a pretty nice feel to it.

Pretty sure WRX got autocorrected into wax, still trying to figure out what car the mistake is though.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Cage posted:

New edge/SN95 gents, what up with this console cover?

Looks like something is supposed to slide and lock in there.

I've seen those on other cars, I think they are for those lil packs of tissues.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

kalvick posted:

Here she is a few days later. Washed, claybared, quick detail wax, compounded, polished, waxed, and quick detail waxed again.
The engine bay is not as clean as I want but drat this car looks MINT for a 2001 with about +/- 23450 miles on it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it pointless to wax before compounding and polishing?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

This thing is stupid fun. Also really glad I found one with the carbon sport interior, the leather/alcantra seats are great and I even dig the carbon fiber dash and shift knob.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

ilkhan posted:

No 401A? (digital dash)

Still, sexy. I'm really liking the '18s.

Sadly no. Even the 400A was pushing my budget, I originally ordered a 301A w/ PP, but it was looking like April delivery if I was lucky, so I found a pretty good deal on a Premium at a closeish dealer.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Elephanthead posted:

You just have to wait and not buy the first year as they only build the price gougey ones and no incentives.

I was able to get mine for a couple thousand below invoice, and they have $1500 in incentives right now. Ain't nobody buying Mustangs in January in the northeast.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Buhbuhj posted:

- The major difference is you get 3.73 gears in the back and the recaros are very nice, I wouldn't say the suspension upgrades are worth it though.

You don't get Recaros with the PP. You get 3.73's as mentioned, 19" black wheels w/ the AMAZING Pilot Spot 4S tires (I seriously love these, so much grip), big Brembo front brakes, and a bunch of suspension "tweaks" which probably don't amount to much. I like the wing too, but you can order it without.

And yeah as mentioned you can get deals. I got mine around $5k under sticker, $2k under invoice.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Bandire posted:

I got my 2016 GT Premium Sport Package basically at invoice without trying. It was a special order that someone walked away from and they listed it on the website at that price.

I've had it right at two years, and have had a few weird issues. The main strut bolt on the front passengar side was loose and caused a weird clunking sound when going over bumps. I also had a CEL for some minor valve thing, but I can't remember the details. Also the lumbar controls weren't working on the driver seat. While I'm on the subject, is the seat back supposed to be heated and cooled as well? I haven't been able to get a clear answer, but it still doesn't seem to be working. Other than that just the normal Ford rattles and squeaks.

I would love to have the MagneRide and the active exhaust, but since they got rid of the best color (Deep Impact Blue) I have to stick with what I have. It is still my favorite thing I have ever owned.

The seat backs are supposed to be heated and cooled. I saw a thread somewhere that somebody was complaining of the same thing, and got it fixed under warranty.

I'm so glad I got active exhaust. The quiet start mode in the morning as great, so I don't have to sound like a dick and wake up my neighbor's 1 year old. In sport and track mode it sounds amazing. Being able to change it on the fly is great.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

When I left the dealer after buying mine I didn't know the seat cooler was turned on, and after a few minutes thought I sat in something wet after they washed it. Was hoping it'd be nice in the summer, but I guess it'll just feel damp

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Aw man, 2019's are getting rev matching.

Maybe I'll be able to forscan it into my 2018.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/12/2019-ford-mustang-california-special-rev-matching/

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Black decklid emblem and a much needed wash. These wheels suuuuuuuuck to clean.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rolo posted:

Is that spoiler an 18 option or aftermarket?

It’s sexy.

It's the new Performance Package spoiler for 18. I dig it, though a lot seem to get ordered with the spoiler delete option.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The 2018 Ecoboost's have line lock.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/burnouts-2018-ford-mustang-ecoboost-gets-line-lock-feature/

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The non PP tires are pretty crummy from what I've heard. Some kind of all seasons. It's almost worth it for the PS4S's alone. But I do enjoy the gearing and think the wheels look a lot nicer too. And of course the Torsen and giant Brembo's are a plus.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

ilkhan posted:

Order guide for 2019s is out. Bullitt included.
480 HP. I want one. 😞

I'm still salty about rev matching.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

ilkhan posted:

Why? It's a good thing?

Salty that they're adding it to 2019's after I bought a 2018.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Dick Burglar posted:

Also the new 2018 front fascia looks awful. The new headlights look droopy and lovely. There's your reason not to buy one and to wait for a refresh.

False

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The PS4s came on my 18PP, can confirm that they fully own.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rolo posted:

You mean the RTR ones?

E: this?

Ehhhhhh

I don't think any of them really look good on S550's.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Like, towed against your will? Good luck, they are the scummiest of the scum.

If you actually paid for a tow then you may have a chance.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The Mustang 100% needs a tune to run E85. Its E15 max from the factory. It's not the same as the F150.

And I still attribute broken shift forks to people beating the poo poo out of them. They did revise them for 2018 and I think they're weaker but I don't think you'd ever have a problem unless you are powershifting it or something. No issues with mine at all.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Unlikely you'll find a part like that on rockauto, will likely have to go the junkyard/ebay route.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The PP wheels are nice but my god are they a pain in the rear end to clean.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

ilkhan posted:

A lot of dealer cars have the shift knob removed to prevent theft. Probably had it removed and reinstalled when it was sold.

I feel like it being a manual is deterrent enough.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Good color choice on your Mustang :cheers:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Xpost from the other thread. Any of my S550 buds do the upgrade or considering it?

Digital cluster upgrade in the Mustang. Been wanting to do this for a while. You can swap the optional LCD cluster into models that didn't come with it (even into older 2015-2017 models with a couple extra parts) Since I have a 2018 all I needed was the cluster, a new bezel, and two new steering wheel buttons for the new functionality.

Before:

Old and new cluster/bezel:

Pop off the airbag to unscrew and replace the buttons. I had done this once before when I installed the GT350 steering wheel, so I was familiar with this much.

From there its pulling off a bunch of interior panels to get the bezel and cluster out. No pics of this because I was sweating my balls off and wanted to get it done.

All buttoned up:

First power up before coding, a billion error messages, some that are real head scratchers:

Finally it was just a matter of using Forscan to code all the correct options into my cluster to match my car, and nicely they updated it recently so you can adjust mileage (only raising it, but still super handy). My cluster was brand new so I raised mileage to match actual.

Ahh there we go. Normal mode:

Sport:

Track:

It's super customizable, you can pick a primary and secondary color, right now I've settled on red for primary (the filled in gauge area) and gray for secondary (all the gauge rings and text). You can also display 3 chosen gauges graphically or more in text, and also cycle the other usual stuff like trip meters, MPG, tire pressure, etc.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

H2SO4 posted:

God I've been eyeballing it for a while and you're gonna make me do it :argh:

Do it. I hemmed and hawed quite a bit, but the first startup after installing and I was sold. Worth every penny.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Buhbuhj posted:

That's kind of cool and now I am looking into it.

Here's the guide I followed, the forscan codes are all in the google doc linked there which is super handy. https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-digital-cluster-installation-guide.99275/

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I've been having dirty thoughts about the SVE SP2 wheels in bronze. They're a PP2 wheel replica in more reasonable offset (the PP2 wheels poke out way too much for my taste). I generally like my PP1 wheels but black isn't my favorite and they are a pain in the dick to clean.

Current:

SP2's:

Whatever I do, I'm definitely getting the PS4S tires again. They are god-tier. Love them.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Nicccceeee. How are you liking the rev matching? (if you have it turned on). I'm still salty they seemingly withheld that from 2018's even though all the pieces seem to be there, and that nobody has figured out how to hack it in yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

LongSack posted:

Really? I love my warmers, but the seat chillers just make me feel like my clothes are damp

I felt that way at first (when I bought mine they had them turned on and I definitely thought my seat got wet when they washed it) but on really hot days I have grown to love it.