Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Made a terrible terrible decision and bought a brand new Mustang Mach 1 with 7.1 miles on the clock. Fighter Jet Grey. I'll have some pics once I can get to a place I can actually use imgur since my work blocks it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ether Frenzy posted:

I'm going to need to see a burnout to determine the quality of the decision, tbh.

I just spent $1500 putting no seasons on it, because we had an incoming nor'easter and that was the best I could do on short notice, so let me get through the break-in period where I don't have to be afraid of the metallic glitter of too many RPM and I'll think about it. Ain't gonna do a burnout on the summers because those are even more expensive to replace.

E: Thank you foresight for making me take some pics with my cellphone and putting a post on reddit about new car.

https://imgur.com/a/r6sPymD

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 30, 2022

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

davecrazy posted:

loving gorgeous.

I really wanted one with the handling package, but then I looked at what replacement tires for the handling package cost and cried. Also, couldn't find a handling package mach 1 within about 75 miles of my house, and dealers were dicks and didn't want to order one without sticking a 10k markup on it, cause it's a "hot market".

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

davecrazy posted:

I sold my 2003 Mach 1 last month and every day I'm on the Ford site looking at the '21/'22s. Thing is I just bought a SRT Durango with the 6.4 Hemi and out of garage space.

Enjoy it, it's awesome!

I drove it to work today, and my coworker already challenged me to a drag race in his Kia Stinger GT lol. Once it warms up I might humor him so I can walk him.

Buying this Mach 1 was literally 2 months of me working myself up to it and making sure I could afford the payments, She's pricy, but worth it IMO.

E: after trying to navigate city parking decks at 7 am since they shut down the entire center of Baltimore at 6AM, it is a mother fucker to park this thing compared to a MX-5, then again it weighs almost as much as 2 NA gen Miatas. Almost scraped the gently caress out of the car twice trying to squeeze through poo poo that must have been designed to fit an econobox. Luckily everything is still intact lol.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jan 30, 2022

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

opengl128 posted:

Hell yeah my dude. 10 speed or Tremec? While I don't have the huge complaints many do about my MT82, especially after I put in a trans mounted MGW shifter, I still lust after that sweet Tremec.

10 speed, which has honestly probably contributed to drivability in the winter shitscape i am currently existing in. I heard there was weird lumpiness in shifting with the 10 speed in the GT packages, but it doesn't exist in whatever tune they put on the Mach 1's autobox. This thing is shockingly quick to 60 from a red light, then again I've kept out of the throttle really since it's still on break in, but I can tell that this thing will absolutely leap off of a line, especially since the last time I drove a Mustang was my buddy's green SN95 with a wheezy, worn V6 back in highschool lol. That thing was a loving pig.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

No lift shift seems like one of those things that would take a lot of conscious effort to use, because my instincts are going to scream at me to pull my foot off the pedal to shift.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dinurth posted:

Anyone mess with ceramic coating or protection film? It seems almost too good to be true, but seems legit? I'm absolutely clueless about both but I'm looking at doing a track wrap for the film and ceramic on the rest of the car. Worth it? Scam? Somewhere in the middle?

I got ceramic coating, what it does is basically remove the need for you to wax your car, since it is hydrophobic, and protects the paint from degradation by UV rays. It does not protect your paint from rock chips, so paint protection film on like the hood and front clip etc is a good idea still if you want to drive it but still have it look pretty. As far as whether it's a "scam" or not, price out how much a good factory paintjob is, and compare it to the price of a good ceramic coat and PPF job. (ceramic coat and PPF is way cheaper than new paint, and you'd just wind up having to coat that anyways if you wanted it to stay good)

Also, took the Mach 1 into a local performance shop and had them cut out the "resonator" and replace it with a Steeda X-pipe, sounds 1000 times better, and with active exhaust if I get tired of hearing uncorked V8 behind me, I can put it in quiet mode and it's only about 3-5dB louder than stock. I tested out the quiet mode cold start after getting the resonator delete, and it still is very neighbor friendly, but gently caress the neighbors, no quiet mode starts, ever.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 17, 2022

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dinurth posted:

I'm eyeballing that x-pipe as well, really want to hear it in person. Also eyeballing Steeda's dual rate springs, I've heard good things about them, and probably going to grab a set of their new 19x11 wheels that are lighter than the handling pack ones for track day.

edit: are you planning on taking advantage of the free racing school day? Think I'm heading out in May.

If you get the Magneride dual rate springs, may as well go for the adjustable caster/camber plates as well, you'll save on alignments since you will have to do a 4 wheel alignment anyways for getting the dual rate springs. As far as track day goes, yeah I'm going to take advantage of it but I haven't decided on a date yet. Car has plenty of power for me so all my mods are going to be about firming up handling and making it really grab in corners if I'm going to track it eventually, so maybe a stop the hop kit too, since apparently the independent rear gets a bit lively when it's loaded up.

A local shop posted a picture of someone's mustang that they'd mounted an internal rack in for carrying their drag slicks to the track, wonder if there's enough clearance that I can put a 4 wheel set in the rear seat area if I get them to fab me up a tire rack. If so, that will be great for me being able to swap between winters and summers, and summers and track tires.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 20, 2022

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

A flat-plane mustang is an interesting noise, enjoy winding it out and listening to it while zipping through the twisties

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

Nice, that engine truly is something completely unique and it'll definitely surprise you coming from other mustangs. Just remember that you gotta crack 4k rpm before it really comes to life.

Really that's true of the Coyote too, at least from what I've found on my Mach 1. Gotta wind it out to get it going. I imagine the GT350 revs way easier though.

Had a bit of cat and mouse with a blue 350 on the BWI parkway today, it was pretty fun :)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

8250 is a lot of revs, one of the fun things is you get shift lights in a HUD on the 350 which is not something you get on a GT.

And I think you might want a can for each bank if you're going to rev it to the moon.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 26, 2022

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Digital_Jesus posted:

Passenger side collects a decent amount. Drivers sides optional unless youre tracking it or otherwise cornering hard. Mines only had oil on the drivers side once or twice in the last couple years.

Yeah if you're not laying on WOT for a significant time you can avoid a driver's can but if you're going to track it, get 2 cans.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

mechaet posted:

Financing approved, picking up the check tomorrow and flying down to the dealership.

Oh, darn, my halfway point between there and home is tail of the dragon. Whatever shall I do?

(narrator: he booked a hotel for a week in Vonore)

You know what you must do. (buy a gopro and headmount for your trip to Mexico)

Do be mindful of morons and cops on the Tail though.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 26, 2022

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

mechaet posted:

Trip report: I've flown to the city the dealership is in, can't wait to look at the car tomorrow. They're going to put it up on a lift so I can thoroughly inspect it, and if the underside looks good to go with no wiggling and aero bit fasteners in their correct locations, I'm giving them a check and driving it home by way of Tail of the Dragon.

If they don't have it on it already, and the rear quarters aren't beat too badly, get PPF on the rear quarters, or install something that shrouds the front tires from spitting rocks at the rear quarters. My Mach 1 spit rocks at my rear quarter panels and put little rock chips in my paint that I didn't catch until it happened.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

mechaet posted:

trip report: 2000 miles later it’s home

What a beauty

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I wonder what the feasibility is to get the parts to convert my (non-handling pack) Mach 1 to a handling pack one is. Theoretically I can get all the parts from Ford, it's a question of whether the dealer would install them. Reason I didn't get one as a handling pack from the outset was there wasnt one with a handling pack and in grey within like 400 miles of me, and I couldn't take the time off to go get it. On the other hand there was a non handling pack grey one sitting at the local dealer after its buyer had financing trouble.

I think the main difference between non handling pack and handling pack ones is bigger splitter down in front and an attachable bigger spoiler in the rear (that you're totally not supposed to put on except for when you're on the track since it markedly changes the handling of the car, especially above 65mph, as it makes the car squat under downforce), special tuning for the magneride suspension and 295s up front and 305s in the rear. Oh and adjustable camber plates for the front struts. Apparently the handling pack tires are more than a bit poo poo though compared to what you can get off of like tire rack.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

PIZZA.BAT posted:

On the same topic: Does anyone know how difficult it is to swap my 2019 Ecoboost's muffler out for one of the dynamic ones the more recent models have? I'd love to be able to open it up for track days while leaving it muted on most days so I don't annoy my neighbors

That should be significantly easier as long as the harness for the active muffler is installed in the back. It would just be a matter of hooking up the new muffler and setting it up in the ecu. Since it wasn't available on your MY though I don't know if the harness would be installed.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

mechaet posted:

Where, pray tell, would these sites be? I was in contact with Harness By Hextall, but they've stopped responding and I want this stupid piece of poo poo scosche thing out of my car. I searched, probably terribly, and all I could find was a forum thread pointing to Hextall.

The top two are a Ferrari F40, and a Ford GT. Both not mine, obviously.

Solid 1 and 2 there, for sure.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Digital_Jesus posted:

Filling your gas tank and seeing 140 miles til empty is sure a thing....

Oh but it's a fun 140 miles

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mustangs actually make good road trip cars as long as it's a road trip with no more than 2 people. plenty of cargo space, and if you get tired of V8 grumble on a 300 mile highway stint you can close down the exhaust and put it the suspension in normal mode and it drives like any other docile cruising car on the road.

That said, find some twisties and open up the exhaust and you can have an absolute blast too.

Since i don't have a turbo or supercharger I get mileage almost as good as a Corvette, actually, the difference is likely entirely down to aerodynamic drag and gearing, since the corvette is geared to push all the way to 200+mph and so its final gears are very long and it can basically idle at 80mph.

Since I cut the resonator out of my Mach 1 i'm pretty sure it's over 100Db when it's fully opened up, but in quiet mode it's still louder than other traffic but not deafening.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 14, 2022

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lol man I am so loving glad I got my Mach 1 before this poo poo happened. The prices of everything on the lot just spiked 10% on the S650 announcement cause it's fug ugly.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

opengl posted:

Not seeing a single thing that would make me want to sell my 2018 for. Which has a full compliment of physical buttons.

That remote rev is the stupidest poo poo.

Remote rev is dumb as gently caress, I like to push the gas pedal to rev thanks.

Also I'm just not a fan of the look of the thing. The facelift S550 grew on me, which is why I got one, but this thing is just a ehhhhh, also all glass dash and controls is kinda a no in my books, tactile switches are fun and good and cool, I can adjust them without taking my eyes off the road.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The mid-generation facelift will probably look sick, but yeah we're kinda stuck with the S650 looking a bit like the pudgy cousin of the S550, and the S550 was already a chunky boi.

It's not quite up there with the BMW M8 "Big M8" memes, but it's close.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Puddle lights are the loving best.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N464Tu_DIfk

Taken her out for a couple rides. Seems to be good. Ordered a couple bearings since one of the idler pulleys is making some noise. Suspension feels good, car is a bit loud. Front brakes need a look, rotors are a little warped.

One of the door speakers is out so I might make sure the factory amps are hooked up right, but I think I'll just run some wire straight to them and buy four new speakers.

Who needs speakers with a soundtrack like that though tbh.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

sw0cb posted:

Back in a mustang after a decade (gently caress, I'm old). 2018 GT350, drove one right after they came out a few years back and knew I had to find my way into one eventually. Finally pulled it off on Thursday. I know its a compromised flat plane design and can have vibration issues, but for my money its the best Ford V8 I've ever driven, by a long shot.

how much did it run you? The flat plane sounds great, even better if you put an x pipe on it, since it revs higher.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I want to get a different set of rims for my '21 Mach 1, reason being I had the base Mach 1 rims but gouged the gently caress out of them on a low unpainted corner curb last week, but I'm not sure what would look good on it. Any suggestions?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dinurth posted:

I'm a fan of these: steeda trident

Kind of like the handling package Mach 1 wheels but lighter.

Super sexy looking rims, but those are 10 inch and 11 inch rims front and back vs the stock 9.5 and 10.5 on the Mach 1. I'm an idiot when it comes to running wider rims and tires, will I need a spacer or anything? The page doesn't mention anything special for fitment, so I think not, but I'm not sure.

E: actually when the rim requires a spacer it specifies it in bold, along with the mm size of the spacer. That said I might step up to 19x11 inch all square tires, or back it down to 19x10s all around, because I'm not made entirely of money and staggered setups are expensive since staggered tires live half as long.

Ugh I really don't want to back it down to 19x10 square though, the car will absolutely break loose since Ford already undersizes the tires for the Mustang, and I don't want to be an even bigger danger to random pedestrians.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 12, 2023

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

How did you get the shift indicator to work in what I assume is a 10 speed? I thought that you couldn't even enable that poo poo in forscan without it being a manual.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

toplitzin posted:

It's a GT with a 6 spd :confuoot:

Ah it has the PRNDS indicator across the bottom unless you're saying you have the 6speed auto from pre-2018.

If its a stick why in the hell does it have the auto indicators on the display lol

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66hItt--q9g

dude actually spun his Mustang going in a straight line

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

fps_bill posted:

Anyone else run into the p300/p308 codes? Everything online is saying intake manifold, called steeda this morning and ordered the gt350 intake manifold, and throttle body.

While I have everything off should I just go ahead and lockout the IMRC? About how much would that hurt my lower rpm power?

P0300 is "Multiple Misfire" and P0308 is "Misfire, Cylinder 8". Pull plug #8 and check if it's carboned to gently caress, maybe the plug is fouled. could also be bad plug wires, or a fucky coil, or injectors. Plugs and wires would be the easiest things to check first.

It could also be something with the intake manifold like mentioned, if you yanked your manifold off you'd pretty readily be able to see if there was damage to the manifold, unless it's like some hairline crack poo poo. Are you running a tune or something?

E: a way to test for if the manifold is cracked/damaged is to get it idling and then shoot starting fluid around the gasket and see if the idle changes or if it stumbles.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 8, 2023

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Well Played Mauer posted:

Offbeat question: Do any of you own an S500 in high-elevation locales? I'm thinking about moving the family to Colorado Springs in the next year or so. How does a big-rear end V8 handle air that thin? And what about winter driving? I'm assuming the latter is "lol see you in April," but the closest I've come to winter driving is New York City in a FWD Audi A4.

Handles it just fine, you'd be down on power, but not a terrible amount, it won't make it run rich or lean or anything, the ECU can compensate for altitude. Don't run 85 octane fuel in any of your vehicles. It will be available, just don't use it, apparently it exists for people who have carbureted engines. Run 87 or 91 octane.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 22, 2023

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

What is this part with the blue bar? Is it the throttle body? I don't see the blue bar on GIS pics, I'm trying to determine if this is stock or what. The PO said the Mustang takes premium gas, which isn't what the owners manual says.

Edit: Further googling suggests it's a "Jet Performance Products" billet aluminum spacer, and it's basically just designed to let more air into the intake. Sounds like one of those nonsense mods that makes FAHVE HUNNERT HARSEPOWAH?

Edit2: And that's apparently a "Power Plus series" aftermarket throttle body.

Yeah that's probably good for an extra half a horsepower or something.

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

A phenolic spacer helps with keeping the intake charge a bit cooler, but iirc they're usually some kind of plastic..

Phenolic spacers generally go between the heads and the intake manifold, not in front of the intake manifold. Honestly they're pretty much bullshit anyways, unless you're ripping it around a track long enough to heat soak your intake manifold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is there any recommended parts brand I should be looking at? I was going to try to stick to motorcraft where possible, but I really have no clue. In the past I would just huy whatever was in the blue colored bracket on Rock Auto.

Motorcraft is OE parts, Steeda and CJ Pony Parts are both reputable as well, but those two focus entirely on performance stuff for a Mustang. Other people have other recommendations I'm sure, I've only used Steeda and CJ Pony Parts though.