Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

kimbo305 posted:

From Jalopnik, just the crate motor has landed at $7k:
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=11829
No ECU or harness, or even an alternator.

Sounds about right for the $8k range for the version with the ECU and accessories then.

kalvick posted:

That would be totally awesome, I wonder if it would fit easily into a 99-04 model Stang?

I don't see why it wouldn't. The external dimensions on the Coyote are basically the same as the DOHC 4.6 that was available in the New Edge Mustangs. You wouldn't even need different motor mounts as the bolt holes are in the same place.

412hp in a stripped New Edge would be a 10second ride with a good driver (NMRA Factory Stock go bottom 11s with ~350hp).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

turnerburna posted:

I wonder if it would even be worth it for a 3v since you can get to 550hp with the stock bottom end and a supercharger.

Probably not with the stock Coyote, but once Ford offers a version with forged internals it would be.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Oxytocin posted:

What's the possibilty of that happening?

I'd be more surprised if they didn't offer a forged version.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Surprising no one, the BOSS 302 has been confirmed:

http://blog.cardomain.com/2010/05/20/boss-302-mustang-confirmed-could-be-a-2011-or-2012-model/

quote:

Rumors of a street-legal Boss 302 Mustang have been circulating for months and they really kicked into high gear when GM made the announcement that a Camaro Z28 is in the pipeline. Details are still sketchy and no formal horsepower numbers have been released, but we’re sure there’s going to be a line of Ford faithfuls with cash in hand once these babies get produced.

TheMustangNews.com is reporting that the Boss model would receive a revised intake manifold and “other modifications” to bump horsepower over base GTs. According to their story, the Boss 302R race cars are cranking out 450 hp so we’d expect the production engine, with emission controls and other legally necessary items to be somewhere in the 425-430hp range, but who the hell really knows?

The subtle hint that was given about the car came from Mark Fields, Ford’s President of the Americas during a dealer meeting. He told those in attendance that the boys back in Dearborn were cooking up a new special edition of the Mustang that he couldn’t directly comment on, then a 1970 Boss 302 rolled across the stage.

We’ll take ours in the same grabber orange Parnelli Jones and his cohorts tore up Trans-Am with back in the early 1970s.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

The Third Man posted:

...on May 20th

Yeah, I just missed it. I don't really look for automotive news on cardomain.com. How about something newer and of more interest to a wider audience?

Vortech's V3 S-trim kit will be out very soon. The V3 is a self contained unit, so no hole required in the oil pan, and it comes with an air to air intercooler. Vortech was also able to keep the factory airbox, a requirement if you want a CARB EO number.

Horsepower numbers aren't out yet, but most people in the know are saying 550hp @ 6-7psi.

Livernois has dropped the first forged rod and pistons on the market as well. You can keep your factory oil squirters and the pistons come coated on the top and skirt. They currently only have 10:1 and 11.5:1 compression ratios on the shelf, but they can make you whatever you want. Street price looks to be $1250.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

BaronW posted:

If I'm ordering a V6 automatic will the 3.31s have a significant drop in MPG? My commute is ~52 miles round trip cruising at highway speed in the morning and hellish stop and go on the way back. (I basically drive the entire 105 freeway in LA)

We talked about this a little bit back. In short, no. These numbers are for the v8, but there isn't much difference between them gearing wise I don't believe. From page 4:

frozenphil posted:

2) At 70mph in 6th gear you'll be turning 1988 RPM with the manual or 2110 RPM with the automatic. This is based off of the stock 18" tire's 27.3" diameter, 3.55 rear gear, and a 6th gear ratio of .65 for the manual and .69 for the automatic.

Tire height and transmission ratios are taken from here, tire size conversion was done here, and gear calculations were done here in the "Transmission Final Gear Ratio Manual Entry" section.

With the 3.73s in a manual (can't get them in the automatic from the factory) you'll be turning 2089 RPM in 6th gear. This is why we tell people "don't fear the gear". We're not in 1968 anymore. Transmissions have more than 3 speeds as well as overdrive. Even 4.56 gears will only spin 2554 RPM in 6th at 70mph.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Fastlane's turbo 5.0 is on the dyno. 534rwhp @ 5psi! Just dumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04V_f9hOCCU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

drat, who needs a GT500 when a bolt on turbo kit is pushing 600+ hp from the engine! With that modest of boost I assume the stock engine handles it without problems?

Yeah, their car is all stock outside of the turbo kit. That A/F ratio on the dyno sheet scares me, but I'm sure they'll tune that out soon.

Q_res posted:

This seems like a good time to forward a question I've been mulling over. Is there really any reason to get the 3.55s in the GT over the 3.73s considering they're the same price?

Not really. The 3.73s make the most use of the transmission's gearing and the engine's RPM capabilities.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Ugg boots posted:

Last September I bought a 2010 V6 (Automatic), and after coming from a 1984 5.0L V8 I'm obviously missing the power a bit. I've been looking into making some upgrades to squeeze some more performance (specifically acceleration/lower-end) out of it since I'll theoretically be driving this for a few more years now.

From what I've read the first/simplest upgrade is adding a cold air intake (possibly also buying a tuner to tune it afterwards.) Does this make sense?

Also, should I expect any performance increase from catback dual exhaust, or do I need to run a whole new exhaust system from the headers back to see anything out of it?

Thanks!

Don't bother with anything less than forced induction on the pre-2011 Mustang v6.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Ugg boots posted:

Awesome, I guess at 5 grand for a supercharger I might as well have bought the V8, huh? :(

The complete kit is $3300 from superchargersonline.com; the tuner kit is $2700.

If you troll the classified forums on corral.net and modularfords.com you'll eventually find someone selling one used for under $1500 for the complete kit or under $1000 for the tuner kit.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

VibrioCholera posted:

Personally I'd recommend C&L Intake parts for anything you're doing intake wise. They make quality products and you really can't go wrong with them. If you want a cheaper option I'd recommend the K&N FIPK II Air Intake kit. It's going to replace your stock tubing and give you a cone filter with a heat shield around it. If anything it sounds cool.

JLT is owned by a fluid dynamics engineer and Mustang owner who got tired of crappy aftermarket cold air induction systems with no engineering behind them. He consistently wins head to head tests in the magazines and is an all around good guy. He actually started out selling his stuff over at modularfords.com out of his garage before demand required him to do it full time.

I like C&L, but JLT flat beats them at every point in the curve and does it for less money. K&N is to be avoided unless you hate your MAF/enjoy spending a lot more money for less power/absolutely must have a brand name that the people at the Sonic cruise in will know.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

So I just learned something. Apparently some nut makes an adapter to put any roots/tvs style supercharger that will fit on the '03/'04 Cobra onto the v6 too. For $2800 plus the cost of a tune and cowl hood or GT hood scoop (should be able to pick up a GT hood in your color for under $200 if you troll the classifieds) you can make your v6 sound like a cow falling off a building.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOVxz6PsdJM#t=0m13s

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

MonkeyNutZ posted:

That's a pretty apt description.

What's the power increase like?

On stock internals guys are seeing 250rwhp looks like. Once you throw forged internals in and crank up the boost you can go to 700+ if you have the supporting stuff to do it, but you're better off going turbo if you want to go that route.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgqkOemJeQE

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

That's twice in a handful of posts I've seen the (pre-2011)v6 exemption. Are there a lot of meaningful gains to be made with the 2011 v6?

The 2011 v6 starts off with 300hp and the aftermarket hasn't even played with it yet. You'd need at least a built engine and forced induction to get a pre-2011 v6 to that power level safely, or just forced induction if you like living on the edge.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

What do you think would be more practical, turbos or supers?

Turbos are going to grow with your power goals much easier while being more efficient and less of a hassle with belts and such, but that comes at a higher cost. At a minimum, Vortech will make a supercharger kit you can bolt on. You will more than likely have to make your own turbo kit/have someone make a turbo kit for you.

In the end, you're better off just starting out with the v8 if your plans include making more power. The 2011 v6 is a strong engine with a nice price tag and fuel economy if you plan to leave it stock.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Powershift posted:

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=33096

new engines for the f-150s, basically the mustang engines with a few tweaks such as forged bottom ends for both engines, and a cam/heads for the 5.0 for low-end torque over horsepower.

They don't have forged bottom ends, just the same forged crank, powdered metal rods, and hypereutetic pistons that the Mustang has.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

How am I, a self-professed lover of LS1s and hater of the 4.6, the first to post the final press-embargo-lifted info on the Boss 302?

Because I've gone back to school for my MEng and been in class. :(

Ford, gently caress you in the face for those colors! gently caress you so hard! Why did you have to gently caress up the one special edition I gave a gently caress about‽

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Q_res posted:

Red stripes on a black car are such a horrific idea.

BZZZZZZZZZZT! Incorrect!

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Q_res posted:

Exception that proves the rule. :colbert:

And that's still easily the worst GT500 color combination. EDIT: Make that second worst. I forgot they offer red stripes on Grabber Blue.

You are so incorrect.

At any rate, I think we can all agree that Grabber Blue on Black is the best combination.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

ipaid10buxforthis posted:

Is it too soon to see crazy engine swaps yet? like a mid-ship v8 ford transit?

Pretty much. Ford hasn't released the crate engine and the engine is too new to be common in junk yards yet. Give it a year or so, most Mustang owners are retarded and will soon fill your local parts yard with inventory.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

And ill take pics of the sticker and let you all know what they try and sell It to me at just for kicks. Right now I think they're asking a hair under 40 for it

Which is about what a well optioned Premium GT goes for.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

It is cool, but the S197 should have been a GT500 to complete the Cobra/special edition theme.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

scapulataf posted:

Insert joke about ancient, oxcart suspension, 40 year old platform, lol uhmarikkkun car here.

The Fox body platform only went from 1979 to 2004, mister! Every other Mustang platform was changed after 5 years or so. The first 6 years of the Mustang saw a platform change every 2 years.

'65 and '66
'67 and '68
'69 and '70
'71 through '73
No Mustangs were made from '74 through '78
'79 through '04
'05 to current

The S197 chassis looks like it may have long legs.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

rscott posted:

:colbert:

Where does it say Mustang on that riced out Pinto? :colbert:

Point stands!

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

CamH posted:

I had a friend who would constantly defend the Mustang II. Did they have any redeeming features or was he a moron?

Their only redeeming value is that they let Mustang owners rag on Camaro/Trans Am/Charger/Challenger owners for having a period in their time line where production halted while the Mustang has never missed a year.

Garbage smog-dog engines, flexi-flyer chassis, and horrible styling only enjoyed by hipsters and inbreds.

Huge_Midget posted:

Anybody have any idea what MSRP and street date is for the new BOSS? I'm in the market for a new car and its now on the shortlist.

Ford hasn't released anything yet that I am aware of. I'd expect a price between a well optioned premium GT and the GT500, released sometime this Fall.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Professor Bling posted:

Why do you hurt me so?

So which is it, hipster or inbred? :colbert:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Clones are the worst and Shelbys look like poo poo after '66 when they were made by Ford and not Shelby.

See? Not cool when someone shits on your project, is it? Just because that dude's friend went a different direction with his car doesn't make it better or worse than any other. I could get triple the money for my car if I restored it to stock...if I was going to sell it. Not everyone gives a poo poo about resale value, most people with classic or purpose built cars do it because they enjoy it.

Ultimately no non-moron builds a project car with hopes of making money on the back end. You build what you like and enjoy and hope that if you ever do lose your mind or get in a hard spot and need to sell the car you can get maybe 10% of your "investment" back.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Uziel posted:

Speaking of the aforementioned Mustang II...I'm trying to sell mine. I'm not having much luck on Craiglist, and the Stupid Questions megathread mentioned posting it on some Mustang forums.

Which particular forums would be a good place to start?

Corral.net is your best bet. Vintage-mustang.com is the other.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Slow is Fast posted:

Dad wants to pull the motor, replace it with stroker forged internals...What would be the best/cheapest setup to do.

If you guys are going to build the engine, DSS makes a great kit for a good price. They also offer shortblocks if you want someone else to build it for you.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kronix posted:

We all knew it was coming eventually, but Ford just released a new supercharger kit for the 5.0

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/23/ford-racing-now-selling-supercharger-that-boosts-new-5-0-liter-v/

"The base package provides 525 horsepower and 470 pound-feet torque and comes with a 12-month/12,000-mile warranty when installed by a Ford or Lincoln dealer."

Who needs a GT500?

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 23, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Looks like it's going to be $6900 ($7500 polished) for the 525hp version and $7200 ($7750 polished) for the 624hp version.

Biggest news in my opinion is that the difference between the 525hp version and the 624hp version is 2psi; 7 vs 9. Both version use 93 octane tunes.

Edit: Almost forgot, 50 state legal. Whipple and Ford jumped through the hoops for a CARB EO number. Whipple says their number is good to 12psi too.

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 23, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Double postin in this bitch.

Jake Lamotta's twin turbo 5.0 is on the rollers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqARqDpKD_Q

545rwhp @ 7psi. 60lb injectors, everything else stock. So dumb.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Muffinpox posted:

I wonder what the difference is, i.e. if once you are through the 12mo warranty you can just change some code and have 624hp.

destructo posted:

I assume these are two separate blowers then?

Different pulley and tune, no difference with the blower itself as far as I'm aware.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Omegaslast posted:

Wait so once you put this on your engine your engine warranty effectively becomes 12 months? or does the engine still have 3 years, and its just the supercharger that has 12 months?

I'm going to guess your engine warranty goes to 12 months from 36. I guess you can ride out your factory warranty and then install the supercharger if the warranty means something to you.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

destructo posted:

I guess I'm just confused as to how we're going to see another hunnert horsepower from 2 psi unless Ford left a ton of ignition timing on the table.

Dustin from Whipple answered this question:

quote:

So whats the deal with making 100 more hp on only 2 more lbs of boost? Whats different ? neither kit mentioned larger full pumps or anything , are they not nessassary even with the 9lb kit?

With this:

quote:

Correct, stock fuel pumps. 2psi more, more agressive timing and air fuel. Both have passed full durability testing so I can assure you both are "safe" setups as with all FRPP SC systems.

Both use the 2.3L Whipple W140ax gen 2 case.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Fucknag posted:

So essentially, although they're claiming both setups as "safe", they were more safe with the base setup, and therefore under-utilize the 7 lbs compared with the higher setup?

I have a feeling that Ford didn't want to warranty 624hp while using the stock powdered metal rods. The tune might be safe on the 624hp version, but you're living on the edge with those rods. If you even hint at detonation you're building a new shortblock.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

How much is a set of forged rods/pistons, $1000? Is it cost or labor that keeps those out of the kit?

Yeah, cost and labor are the reasons, but I don't think I've ever seen rods and pistons in any forced induction kit.

Livernois has a set of rods and pistons for the new 5.0 for $1250 including rings and bearings. They look to be quality pieces.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

That review reminds me of the time Road & Track did a test on the top model Viper versus the Corvette Z06 and the Viper absolutely destroyed the Corvette in every test...and the Viper preceded to lose because "the ride quality is too harsh for street use and it doesn't come equipped with a cup holder" :psyduck: I just don't take these 'professional' reviews seriously anymore.

The title of this thread was taken from the greatest review ever wherein Car & Driver tested the 2005 GTO and the 2005 Mustang against one another. Despite winning nearly every performance category the GTO lost due to the Mustang having the "gotta have it factor". Apparently more people wanting to buy your car makes it the better performer. God help us if they ever pit the Camry against any sports car; sports cars won't stand a chance.

The infamous article: here
The infamous chart from the infamous article: here

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 24, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

The correct answer is an offroad x-pipe and the Magnaflow competition cat-back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQhRBCziQ6s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Omegaslast posted:

He hates drone and so do i, so thats one reason he went with corsa i think. every other manufacturer its a toss up if its going to drone or not.

According to the Lethal guys there is no drone with that combo posted in the video. They checked it out from idle to 110mph. The rasp you can hear is the camera, according to them.