Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

So anyone who's been paying attention the to the last thread knows I'm in the market for a Mustang and I'm probably going to buy one regardless of what people say but I could use the help.

First of all, I live up in Boston so I'm curious if anyone else has driven a car like that up here in the winters. For the record in college I drove a 94 Camaro to and from work every day in some really lovely conditions on all seasons. I'm not pretending the new 5.0 will be a great winter car I'm just wondering if traction control and good tires will make the car livable if I have drive. What kind of snow tires to people throw on their Mustangs. I commute to work by bus so it's not a huge deal either way.

I can't decide if I want the 3.73's or not. I don't really think I need gearing that aggressive. The motor just seems like it has a ton of power anyway and my biggest complaint about my current car is it revs too high on the highway. It's really the only thing I care about since the vast majority of my driving now is highway driving on the weekends. I know the difference isn't huge between all 3 rears but I'm curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Any kind of snow tires will do just fine. I do not suggest driving without them.

3.73? Sure why not. If you don't do long distances on the highway, get 4.10's. Sure, you have to shift 3 times just to cross the road but it's fun.

I turned the TC off on my Mustang GT and my GTO in the winter with snows. Why let it interfere when you can "steer with the rear"

Also "don't fear the gear"

That's about all of the driving I do. I live out the outskirts of the city so I don't do a ton of driving locally. I have a 2006 scion tc that drones along at about 3500rpm at ~80 and I can't stand it for long drives. Most of my driving is highway driving to visit friends outside the city and family.

Meathole posted:

I will also warn you that traction control can not magically create traction out of thin air, but it will lessen the chance of you losing control. I don't know if the new Mustang has ESP(it'll be mandatory next year anyways), but if it does that system can be a lifesaver.

I get that it won't create traction out of thin air but it's nice to have especially going up slippery hills where it's really hard to tell. None of this is a huge deal, my fiance has a Mazda3 so it'd not like the mustang is going to do hardcore winter duty. My Camaro with 0 electronic goodies was doable so I was wondering what the new stuff would be like. Plus the Mustang has a ton more horsepower.

Also I just got an offer for 34k on a new GT premium with the 19 inch wheels the the 3.55 rear and I'd be ordering it. I asked for 32k, am I crazy thinking I can get it for 32k?

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

So today it looks like I'll be signing the paperwork on a new 2011 GT premium with the 19 inch wheels and the 3.55 rear and the final price is 32.500(not counting the 500 rebate, if I don't do ford financing)? It's over invoice but I'm not sure how much better I can do. I made a 33k offer on a very similar car already sitting on the lot last week and the dealer hung up on me.

I'm just trying to convince myself that I'm not getting hosed price wise...does anyone think I can do better?

Also I can't decide...sterling grey metallic or kona blue. I keep going back and forth :bang:

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

kalvick posted:

Id say that is decent price, If you bought the "summer" car in the fall season it would probably be a little cheaper. the Dealers are just jacking up the prices of fun cars while its nice out.

My only saving grace is that since I'm taking delivery of the car 6-8 weeks from now, I'll qualify for the end of summer incentive stuff.

How much does AI think I could realistically knock off the price if I waited until say, September?

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

frozenphil posted:

That's about as good as you're going to do with the car still being relatively new and in demand. The best I've heard of are people finding dealers willing to go $500 over invoice.

Kona Blue is the best color, but don't get it in that color because, when I eventually get a new Mustang, I want mine to be unique like my Sonic Blue 2003 GT was.

I love the blue but this car is going to be a city car, I have a nice big driveway and lot behind my house but she'll be doing some nights out on the street for sure. I think silver just holds up better over time with slight damage but drat is that blue sexy...

Owning a black car has made me hate dark colors :(

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

optikalus posted:

If you have a Costco membership, go through their car buying program. It'll be $500 over invoice (w/ holdback) no questions asked. You'll still be able to take advantage of any special offers that Ford provides. I went through Costco for mine, got a call from the dealer within 2 minutes of clicking submit, and ended up paying $750 under invoice after all was said and done ($750 coupon from the brochure through mail, and an additional $500 off from Ford credit).

I don't think it'll make a whole bunch of difference, the invoice is 32 because the 19 inch wheels are 800 invoice and the rear is about 300 invoice. The way I see it, I'm probably getting ~500 invoice right now although I can't really be sure.

Either way I'll be getting this car sometime around late august, early september and losing my license somewhere around October/November :cop:

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Just ordered mine:

Silver GT premium with 19 inch wheels and the 3.55's. Six weeks is way too long to wait.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Pudgygiant posted:

Requested a quote for a GT Premium from AAFES Car Sales today. 3.55, tech and security package, HIDs. $36ish invoice from Ford, if AAFES can get it for 33 or below I'll pull the trigger. One of the guys I'm out here with got a Raptor for $6k under invoice so I think there's a decent chance.

You might be able to with the AAFES but these cars are selling over invoice all day long around here. I put an offer in on a Red GT premium with an MSRP of ~36.5 and got a "sorry we can't do business" and a hangup. I know it's a low offer but I figured I'd get a counter offer at least.

The car is not listed in the dealer's inventory anymore so I'm assuming they sold it to someone else for more than I offered. If you're budget minded wait till after the summer, you'll probably do better.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

That's an awesome deal, I'm paying 32,400 for my car but I have the 19 inch wheels instead of the HIDs and the comfort/security packages.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

So for those of you that did factory orders, how long was it until you took delivery on the car? It's only been 3 days and I'm already getting antsy. Also I'm trying to time the sale of my car now so I don't get left without a car for too long.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Having a glass roof is probably the worst thing ever. I have one on my scion tc and it makes the car unbearably hot on daytime drives. The scion even has little shades to block out some of the heat but I'm convinced they do nearly nothing.

Honestly, I can't imagine why anyone would want a glass roof in a car, it doesn't feel like a convertible it just feels hot.

Rant over, I skipped this option on the Mustang I ordered. I think it's a terrible option.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Killbot posted:

I'm hoping that the rumored 2012 Boss comes true. I would like a modified Coyote delivering loads of power but without the extra supercharger weight.

Honest question, at what point do new Mustangs get to be un-streetable? I thought 400 horsepower was pretty near the max of what I'm personally comfortable with as a sorta daily driver but Ford's gonna have to push more horsepower out of this motor every model year.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

I understand that TCS and all the electronic goodies help but it seems to me at some point we're hitting the actual limit of what tires can put down. What good is 600 horsepower when the ECU is constantly detecting wheel spin and dialing back power all the way into 3rd gear?

It seems to me that at some point we're going to be hitting a maximum where added horsepower nets very little benefit unless cars get significantly heavier or tires get a lot stickier.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

I think any premium level GT should have it but not the base.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

I'm paying invoice + $250 and that took a lot of effort. I'd walk in, take a test drive, and tell them there's nothing there that's exactly what you want and maybe you want to do a factory order.

That said good luck deciding on the options, my order's been in for a week and now I'm still playing around with it.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Presto posted:

I ended up paying whatever the normal price is for 2 reasons:
  1. I am a huge pussy when it comes to negotiating.
  2. While I was at the dealership, there were 2 or 3 other people there also buying Mustangs at the same time, so it's not like they were desperate for my business anyway.
I kind of get the impression that they're selling them almost as fast as they can get them on the lot, at least around here (Northern Virginia). So they don't really have an incentive to offer much of a deal.

Keep shopping around because you can absolutely do better than msrp. If you've read the last thread, I had dealers actually hang up on me when I offered the price I eventually got.

If you're paying sticker on an american car you're doing it wrong even on a popular car

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

BaronW posted:

The dealer will still make money with holdover cash if they sell it at invoice but their job is to get as much money out of you as they can.

edit: So when you order a car, do you put money down up front?

I put up $500. I had to give the guy $200 run my credit and another $300 to place the order. The dealer isn't worried about me walking away because he'll sell the car no matter what. If you like crazy colors and weird options be prepared to put down more if the dealer feels like the options you specified aren't right for their market.

I think even the brembos might do it in some markets, as they come with summer tires and let's face it, those are useless in the winter time in the Northern part of the country.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

PT6A posted:

I'd never go for straight summer tires on my only vehicle because of the possibility of summer storms (it can and does snow in Calgary in the summer, not to mention those occasions when it hails so much that it piles up and acts like snow), but at the same time, I can't imagine anyone in such a climate would drive something as reasonably unsuitable for winter as a Mustang without putting on actual winter tires. I know I plan to get some winter tires.

If you plan to daily drive your car, I can't understand using anything but all seasons. From what I understand summer tires are completely useless in the rain as well, who wants a car that can't get you home in a flash rainstorm?

Speaking of winter tires, I'm just curious what other Mustang owners do for the winter. What size rims do you use for winter tires. I'm guessing they don't make 19 inch snow tires and I probably wouldn't want them on my rims anyways.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

SlapActionJackson posted:

That seems like a hilariously low governor speed for a sport coupe. Does it come from the factory with lovely S-rated tires on it or something?

Yeah I don't get that, the 270 horsepower GT's from early last decade had a much higher governed limit. Not that anyone needs to be hitting 120mph but it kinda makes me feel like Ford still doesn't consider the V6 model a true sports car.

Also, does anyone else have a pending custom order on their 5.0. I'm waiting for mine and it can't come soon enough :(

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

crap. Depending on what the price is, this may have just delayed my purchase by a year. :(

Personally the 30 or so horsepower isn't worth those ugly stickers. I think it might make a good garage queen but I wouldn't want to drive that around everyday. I must say though, those side pipes are absolutely insane.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Oxytocin posted:

Seriously. It looks like the "Mist Mobile" from Kick rear end. I understand heritage is involved but Ford needs to class it up a bit and seriously start marketing this car as the M3 killer every other article is claiming it to be. Time to cut the loving mullet off. The quality is here now.

I agree I ordered my new 5.0 with no stupid decals, stripes or lettering. I don't want my car to look like a hotwheels. Most people these days associate stripes and stickers with shitbox civics on rims more than a GT350. My fiance actually told me those stripes look ghetto and I trust her taste. Get with the times Ford.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

CamH posted:

I had a friend who would constantly defend the Mustang II. Did they have any redeeming features or was he a moron?

Mostly a moron. Although didn't we have a guy around here who was restoring a Mustang II only to have the thread end with some internet detectives finding out he was posting all over white supremacy boards?

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

We all knew it was coming eventually, but Ford just released a new supercharger kit for the 5.0

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/23/ford-racing-now-selling-supercharger-that-boosts-new-5-0-liter-v/

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

I personally would want the warranty that comes with the GT500 but at least the supercharger kit puts to rest a lot of rumors that the Coyote was never going to get a Ford approved blower because of it's already high compression ratio.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Skyssx posted:

What Phil said. You can just straight up buy a FRPP car.

The new SC packages make me exited for the future of the GT500. The modified GT is so capable Ford has got to do something spectacular to the 500, or just can it outright.

Honestly, the GT500 is already almost at the limit where throwing more more horsepower at it isn't going to do it anymore, for me anyways. 440 in the BOSS is crazy enough as is. You're hitting the limit of what you can do on the street stoplight to stoplight. An independent rear with 500+ horsepower minus the blower and you've got me really really interested. I'd like to see a successor to the Cobra-R more than just another really heavy blown Mustang.

Ford knows it's audience better than me though...

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

That's a 20% loss through the drivetrain, sounds about right for a RWD car to me.

It's still crazy that a V6 Mustang with 305 horsepower costs as much as a well optioned civic and gets comparable gas millage. There's absolutely no compromises with that car, well... except for the useless back seat.

Honestly, the way Ford has been rolling these last 2 or 3 years, I don't understand how they're not doing better. Let's hope the quality issues are gone and these motors hold up. For the first time in many years I don't feel like I'm lying to myself when I think that Americans might finally be making good cars again.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Sitting in traffic will kill you. My scion tc couldn't best 18mpg the 2 months my route to work had lane closures. Then again, even on the highway I can't do much better that 27-28. A guy I knew from my last job has been telling me he's done better than 20 in mixed driving in his new GT convertible which is heavier.

Only 2 weeks until I take delivery on my new '11 GT

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

frozenphil posted:

What do you get with long tubes, full exhaust, 4.10 gears, a Vortech supercharger pushing 7psi, and everything else stock on a 2011 5.0 with an automatic? You get 10s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ63GxXqJ9c

If he's running on the stock internals we can imagine that this car isn't going to last very long pushing 7 psi. Then again there's been a few people running superchargers on the '11s on some Mustang forums already and I haven't heard of a blown motor yet.

I'm really really excited to see the first 5.0 that's running a blower with new internals. 500+ rwhp on a bulletproof setup is really really exciting. I'd like to see how much a project like that ends up costing.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

frozenphil posted:

He made 528rwhp with his setup. Whipple's kit was fully OE part tested by Ford at 7psi and passed with flying colors. I don't think the engine will be a problem at these boost levels as long as the tune is done right and keeps detonation at bay.

Here's a fun game, spot the difference between the 5.0 rods up top and the GT500 rods below:

Edit: Hint, there isn't a difference in material or forging technique, only the length is different.

I suppose I'm just going by posts I've seen on other forums and this: http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_1003_2011_ford_mustang_gt_50_coyote_engine/index.html

I'll be the first to admit I don't know crap about this stuff so my knowledge is pretty much limited to what I read on the internet(aka crap). I'd like to know what you think about this snippet of the article linked above.

quote:

The Coyote team says the forged. powdered-metal connecting rod is the least robust link in the 5.0 chain. Engineers noted it is absolutely strong enough for its naturally aspirated application in the Mustang, but just absolutely strong enough. It's worth noting that while the Coyote rod shares its big- and small-end diameters plus its center-to-center length with the 4.6 rod, the Coyote rod has been redesigned to more evenly distribute bearing loads and is definitely an improved piece.

Most ominously, supercharging will require a stronger forged rod, so we expect to see those, and, no doubt, a short-block in the FRPP catalog before long. This adds a whole new layer of commitment to bolting a blower on a Coyote. We'll have to let the brave among us prove the standard Coyote rods' boost tolerance. For those planning on a rod-exchanging teardown right away, Ford says the Cobra's Manley forged rod will just fit, but you must be careful. No word on how to package a forged piston and rod combination.

From what I'm reading, the new 5.0 is much less blower friendly than the outgoing 4.6 and a lot of it has to do with the already high compression ratio. What kind of boost can you push in a daily driven 4.6 and still have the car be semi reliable?

The way people have made it sound, I figured it was the end of easy to boost Mustangs. It seemed like the last few years, people were puttering around town in blown mustangs left and right, not just ripping up the strip. It doesn't appear to be as easy in the 5.0.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

So I just got my call from the dealership, the Mustang just got delivered...a week early. Of course this is the week I'm in Europe so I won't get to pick it up until Thursday....drat it all!.

Will post pics later this week.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

AtomicBomber posted:

Yay!

Just came in yesterday. Drove it home in the rain so I didnt really have a chance to let it trot yet.

Beat me to the punch, that's the exact car I'm going to pick up this afternoon :) Kona blue premium, 3.55's, and 19 inch wheels.

Are those the 19 inchers?

PS: You aren't in mass are you? That rain is the reason I didn't bother to go get it yesterday.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

AtomicBomber posted:

Yep those are the 19's. I think they look great ... much better than the 18's, as there is a pretty sizeable gap in the wheelwell.

I am in Canada, and it has been raining here too. Had her out today though and holy hell this thing has TORQUE to spare. Really takes my breath away when I punch it.

Definately my favourite car I have ever owned.

Just picked up mine last night, no good pictures yet and I took it to work this morning. I usually take the bus but I ponied up the $25 to park it just for the privilege of driving it this morning and holy hell is it a fun car. I actually hit the skip shift a few times and was shocked how much pull it had even in after going 1st to 4th.

The traction control is absolutely amazing, I played around a little bit on some empty roads last night and tried to break the rear out a little bit like I used to on my old '95 Camaro and it's nearly impossible to spin out the back on try pavement without being a total rear end about it. It's one thing I hated about that car, more than once the stupid thing had the back walk out on me for almost no good reason and I'm glad to know that for the most part, I most likely won't have to worry about it.

Definitely my favorite car that I've ever owned and one of my favorites that I've ever driven.

Fake edit: the car is a total dude magnet, I don't think one girl has even taken a look at it but every dude from cops, to white collar suits, to gangster looking guys stops and looks.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Micromancer posted:

Is there any reason anyone can think of not to get a 1990 Mustang LX that's been rode hard and put away wet for $400? 4cyl is hooked to a manual tranny and I'd like something good on gas that I can have a little fun with.

It will be neither, that's something I can promise you. I love Mustangs and I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Plus everyone will rag on you for owning a 4 cylinder Mustang. My friend had one in high school and it was a horribly slow and the opposite of fun. My 92 Ford Tempo was faster.

That said it'll probably be better on gas than my 5.0, I haven't done better than 16 mpg since I got it :( I didn't get it for MPG but I thought I'd be in the 20's with combined highway and local driving. I guess it'll be better once it breaks in.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Watching those videos makes it so hard to keep my mustang stock.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

frozenphil posted:

Yeah, 24lbs of boost on a 10:1 engine seems reasonable. Jesus.

I think I need to look into a new career as a wall street executive or drug dealer so I can afford to push that much boost through a brand new car and not care about the consequences. I love my mustang but if I blow it up I'm going to be pissed.

Is there a full build list of what's done to that evolution car? At what point did those new rods go in because I thought originally they were running a mostly stock internals and just pushing some reasonable level of boost.

kronix fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 21, 2010

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

A quick googling says it's a Mitsubishi tuner? Either that or phil bought a 5.0

Edit:
Their forums are full of DSM junk and now a 5.0 section

kronix fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 4, 2010

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

whiskas posted:

A speed limiter is not going to stop her from being scared of 550hp. Even if you stay under 50mph, having 550hp under your foot will still get you into lots of trouble.

If she wants a shelby because of the looks then then it's possible to just kit up a regular mustang to look like one, inside and out. I recall on one of the mustang forums seeing a guide with parts list on how to do this to an S197 (sorry forgot which forum).

If she wants a shelby because of the power then the choice is obvious.

I would stick with the GT with the Roush appearance package. My '11 is stupidly fast as it is and I can hit arrest me speeds easily somewhere in 3rd gear. If she wants something a little bit unique, I can't imagine going wrong with the Roush.

I can see almost daily driving a GT500 and what I mean by that is having a second car on stand by if you do a lot of driving. The tires will be hockey pucks under 40 degrees and almost every place in the country is going to have at least 1 or 2 days a year when driving that car is a bad idea. Insurance is going to be monster as well. When I ordered my GT it hadn't gotten into the insurance system yet so the agent threw out the cost to insure a GT500 as an absolute worst case number for the GT and it was almost 1800 a year whereas my GT is about 1300.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I dunno about insurance being a monster; I pay $805/year for my GT500 with full coverage, low deductibles and absurd limits. I would daily drive my GT500 most of the year but for the fact that I work at a hospital and door dings are a daily occurrence there.

You are a lucky bastard for both owning a GT500 and living in a place that doesn't rape you with insurance. I'm 27 and haven't gotten a ticket in 6 years and my GT is setting me back a lot more.

Where do you live? I can't imagine daily driving a GT500 or even my GT up here in Mass. I don't drive to work so my car's a weekender/400 horsepower grocery getter.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

I'm just curious what kind of gains can be had with just an axel back + canned tune. I'm in the market for an exhaust and I don't want it to be too loud, just a little deeper and meaner. The ford racing system looks pretty reasonably priced.

Anyone have any experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Thread history says 2011 GT, though I can't figure out if it's silver or blue.

It's a kona blue 2011 GT. I just wanted to know if it was worth it to go full catback or if it didn't make a difference. I'm obviously looking to stay emissions legal.

I was looking at frozenphils link I'm probably just going to start out with a tuner and a steeda CAI combo which looks like it should be good for about 40 HP on 93 octane. It'll probably have to wait till spring but we'll see how finances look after Christmas.

Sorry for the crappy picture, I had to grab it off facebook because I'm too lazy to go find my phone.