Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004
Last September I bought a 2010 V6 (Automatic), and after coming from a 1984 5.0L V8 I'm obviously missing the power a bit. I've been looking into making some upgrades to squeeze some more performance (specifically acceleration/lower-end) out of it since I'll theoretically be driving this for a few more years now.

From what I've read the first/simplest upgrade is adding a cold air intake (possibly also buying a tuner to tune it afterwards.) Does this make sense?

Also, should I expect any performance increase from catback dual exhaust, or do I need to run a whole new exhaust system from the headers back to see anything out of it?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

frozenphil posted:

Don't bother with anything less than forced induction on the pre-2011 Mustang v6.

Awesome, I guess at 5 grand for a supercharger I might as well have bought the V8, huh? :(

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

JnnyThndrs posted:

Yeah, and if you supercharge a V6(pre-2011), you better plan on buying a complete V8 diff, as you'll splinter the stock 7.5 V6 diff in short order.

Yeah.

Cars sure would be a lot better if they were like computers and you could decide one day to upgrade the engine for 7 grand or whatever and just throw it in.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

frozenphil posted:

FYI, don't do business with American Muscle in the future. They're the reason for the anti-tuning TSB and they tried to cover it up.

What's this all about? I've always had good luck with American Muscle's prices and customer support, but this sort of thing worries me. Did they just sell lovely 5.0 tunes from Bama?

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

HiddenReplaced posted:

I'm thinking about upgrading from my 2010 V6 to a 2012 V6 or V8. I think I'm going to have to custom order it because I want khona blue and a glass roof. I have a couple of questions:

First issue: I'm on the fence about the V6 and the V8. Obviously more power is always nice, but I'm not really sure about paying 7k more for it. I'm not really planning on modding it or anything, and it will be my daily driver, so I think I might just be better off with the V6? Essentially I'm just torn between wanting more power and being reasonable about what I actually need...

Second issue: Premium or regular and then have a custom job done? I saw someone discussing this earlier and I'm wondering if I might get better value just having a custom job done? I live in Atlanta, so if anyone knows of good shops in that area please let me know.

Third Issue: If I get a V6 I don't like any of the grills that come stock and I would like to replace it with something else. Any suggestions?

Much appreciated.

I've got a 2010 V6 in Kona Blue and I couldn't be happier. Well, obviously it'd be nice to have a couple hundred more horses under the hood, but it's not enough for me to want to trade in my pony on a newer machine. As far as premium versus standard goes, I didn't think it was worth the extra cash for the premium package, but I've also put probably 2 grand down on the car in custom parts. I swapped out the upper and lower grill with the CDC grill overlay (pony delete), installed the pony package fog lights with Starkey's aftermarket wire harness, replaced the headlights with black projectors (the ones with the white halo rings, which I know a lot of people think are ricey, but I like them). I also have a rear decklid panel, removed my rocker stripes (had white ones), and tinted the amber and red quarter running lights. If you want I can get a couple of pictures off of my camera at home to at least show you what the front looks like.

Also, I am by no means an experienced automotive (body or engine) person and I was able to do all of this with just my brother helping me out to have an extra set of hands around (including installing a cold air intake and installing a more aggressive tune with a handheld tuner). The hardest two mods were installing the new headlights (because we had to pull off the bottom front bumper, and the clips holding it in were stripping when we were trying to unscrew them) and installing the rear decklid panel (because it's a faux-gascap delete one, so we had to pull that off and there's a ton of 3M tape holding it there.)

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

HiddenReplaced posted:

Yeah I'd like to see what the front looks like. Also the rear decklid panel, because I was thinking about doing something similar, but I've never seen it on khona blue. Thanks for your response, very helpful.

No problem, I'll try to grab them today or tomorrow.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

HiddenReplaced posted:

Yeah I'd like to see what the front looks like. Also the rear decklid panel, because I was thinking about doing something similar, but I've never seen it on khona blue. Thanks for your response, very helpful.

Didn't get a photo of the rear decklid panel since I just grabbed photos off of my camera, but it was the first mod that I did and the one I'm happiest with. I know that the faux gas cap is all "retro" and stuff, but it always felt so gaudy to me.

Anyways, here are a couple photos I had on my camera of the front with the fog lights and running lights on (but headlights off), and that shows off the grille overlay. The biggest problem I have with the front look now is I'd like to either throw on an OEM hood scoop or new hood (not a cowl one, but a ram-air looking one like Cervini's Type IV), and I need better/different bulbs for the fog lights to match the regular/running lights.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

frozenphil posted:

Saleen? It's expensive, though.

Yeah, I keep going back and forth as to whether or not I like the Saleen hood. It's nice, but it's expensive. If I'm going to pay that much for a hood then I'm not sure that I want one that only seems to be halfway between the hood it has now and some of the other hoods I like. The reason I'm looking hard at the OEM hood scoop is because it'd be only like 300 dollars and there are plenty of photos of it on Kona mustangs out there.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

HiddenReplaced posted:

Looks good. I was thinking about ordering it with the scoop on the hood. I like the way the regular hoods look, but I would also like to look a little different from the other Mustangs out there.

Yeah, I like the stock hood a lot (especially in comparison to the 2005-2009 one) but I feel it's missing a bit of pizzazz. I've toyed around with three ideas: a new hood (like this Trufiber Venom Hood), the factory hood scoop, or matte black hood cowl stripes like this. I think the stripes would look slick, because of the matte black ABS used for the side lower pieces and rear fascia.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

frozenphil posted:

I like the cowl stripes, but I don't know how I feel about stealing from Chevy.

Yeah that's another reason why I'm a bit skeptical about it. I definitely wouldn't follow it up with trunk-only-stripes in the back, I'd just leave it on the hood. One of the benefits of the cowl stripes is that it'd only be 100 bucks, so if I hated it too much I could just pull it off and I could install/uninstall it myself. The factory hood scoop requires drilling into the hood, so it's not as easily undoable... :(

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004
Oh god, American Muscle is selling a lambo door kit now, which means that a thousand barries just got the brilliant idea that Lamborghini doors are exactly what their Mustang needs!

Edit: http://www.americanmuscle.com/lambo-door-kit-0509.html

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

Dick Burglar posted:

That car is... gross.

At first I thought I was looking at a SN95 because of how the paint job was tricking my eyes, but then I noticed the indistinguishable front bumper and 5.0 badge and it all came together. :(

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

shodanjr_gr posted:

e: Bonus question. How often is an FRPP CAI filter supposed to be replaced? I got about 6K miles on mine after my cross country drive and I seem to recall that this is roughly their lifetime interval?

It isn't one of the washable ones? My CAI has a reusable filter that I can just use a K&N CAI recharger on (a bottle of soap and a bottle of filter oil) to get it back to as good as new.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004
I've got a tiny bit of damage on the bumper of my 2010 V6. I was going to look into grabbing a Saleen rear fascia, but holy poo poo the 2013 GT500 has a beautiful rear (especially with the new lights). Now I figure I'll just have to wait a bit and graft it onto my Mustang (minus all the Shelby logos, not trying to fool anyone ;)).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004
I've got a 2010 V6 automatic, and it started making a howling noise from the rear end. It's still under warranty so I took it in for an inspection and they said the rear end is shot and have to rebuild the entire rear end. I couldn't get any more details out of them than that. The parts won't be in until like January (WTF?) but the warranty's covering it and he said it's still completely safe to drive on.

So, any ideas what the gently caress happened to my rear end and what I could've done to cause it (if anything)?