Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
I'm glad you made this thread. I've been wanting to learn more about Mustangs, but, at least two of the forums I visited limited the number of pages you could read to about 20 before forcing you to sign up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
I just want to chime in and show my love for Grabber Blue.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Method Loser posted:

At 22 psi it probably COULD run on 93, but at 30-whatever psi and 9.2:1, no, no no no no

30PSI with a blower?!? drat.

Why wouldn't you go with a set of turbos if you had a race car that required that much boost? It seems like it would be more efficient.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

frozenphil posted:

$6900...525hp...$7200...624hp...93 octane tunes...50 state legal

I love this thread.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
It's going to be really interesting to see the Boss go up against the M3. The additional horsepower alone would push the Mustang ahead. Going by Randy's comments about how poor the GT shocks are, the suspension upgrade from the Boss will probably make the the biggest improvement, with the extra horsepower being the icing on the cake.

:911:

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

IOwnCalculus posted:

The only real disadvantages with DI are the cost (which is coming down as they get more common) and the fact that with no fuel going past the intake valve anymore, they can get pretty loving crusty.

I'm pretty sure another (major, for the Mustang) disadvantage is with the after-market. Unless they start putting 1000cc injectors in from the factory, they may not be able to make big power numbers for a while. I don't know if the after-market is going to have the necessary drop-in replacements available for a while. Most people would probably end up having to retrofit F.I. back onto the car to boost it.

I just searched for after-market injectors for ever performance-oriented car I can think of and found nothing. That said, I'm all for skipping D.I. for a while.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Yeah, but the cowl hood looks god drat amazing.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
What car came with 628 HP stock?

Muffinpox posted:

628 NET horsepower :smug:

Haha.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Okay, so I went to two dealerships yesterday to try to test drive a six-speed V6, but they didn't have a single one, they were all automatics. Is Ford just not making any V6-sticks, or can they just not keep them in stock?

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

frozenphil posted:

Evolution's 2011 is getting ri-cock-ulous.

Good. loving. Lord. I would hate to see the repair bill after that landing...

Somebody needs to make @0:40 into a photo so I can replace my desktop background.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Can you get a factory Mustang, black with red racing strips that isn't a Shelby? I'm hoping so, because the I don't want to see the repercussions if it turns out this guy was driving a 540+HP car. Everyone was talking about it today.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

frozenphil posted:

No, but vinyl stripes aren't exactly expensive or uncommon. What does it matter how much horsepower his car had? The v6 is plenty capable of going 130mph.

I know this; it's the public that I'm worried about.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

mod sassinator posted:

Wow, impressive. Are gears really a bolt-on though? Seems like something you need to take to a professional (or have access to tools and knowledge to press in bearings).

They can be a dealer installed option anyway. For a Mustang, I'd call them bolt-on. For a Civic; not so much.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

frozenphil posted:

Guess who's getting into the 5.0 game.

They made parts for the last-generation Mustang as well. It isn't surprising to see them branching out though, it's not like Mitsubishi is making anything of interest anymore...

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

IOwnCalculus posted:

I admit to being slightly surprised this story isn't gaining more attention:

I'm pretty sure everybody knew -- even if it was never official -- we would get another turbo Mustang this generation, it was just a matter of when.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

frozenphil posted:

I'm pretty sure I said this a year or two ago in the old Mustang thread. I've correctly predicted every special edition and every single engine Ford has put in a Mustang since the 2001 Cobra. I'm friggen Kreskin up in here! :v:

Well then, let me personally thank you for wishing into existence the best Mustang available since the old Terminator. Now, all that I have to do is, come up with the money and wait...

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Parabellum posted:

I could guarantee that the EcoBoost Mustang would get better mileage than the Duratec in the 2011. If the EcoBoost was fitted to the base spec car in a low output tune, every Mustang sold will improve the brands MPG figures.

That is only going to get more important as time goes on, with the incoming mileage standards.

I have trouble believing Ford would be able to considerably out-perform their current 31 MPG figure, even with a four-pot. The problem is that there are so many wheel/tire packages that will drop MPG considerably when purchased. I'm pretty sure the standard packages is about the best you can get for low rolling resistance.

Then again, maybe we will see a four cylinder hybrid Mustang. Though, I'm not sure how feasible it would be for Ford to convert their current setup to RWD. However, they are probably going to undertake the task of a RWD real hybrid system for the future F series lineup, so it would make sense for them to use the Mustang as a test-bed.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Killbot posted:

Jalopnik, Autoblog and TTAC have posted reviews on the new Boss. Sucks that they're limiting production on the Laguna Seca. I hope a lot of that tech trickles down into the next Mustang refresh.

I'm more pissed about the lack of Grabber Blue and the inability to buy a "clean" model. Why does the Boss need all those drat stickers? If you were trying to compete with the M3, wouldn't it make sense to have an option to make the car a little less gaudy?

Hell of a car though.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

frozenphil posted:

I don't think you get the BOSS 302.

But...but...THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE HAS ONE! :negative:

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

frozenphil posted:

No it doesn't. :colbert:

:iceburn:

Killbot posted:

I wonder when Ford will ditch the Shelby moniker and start calling its high-power Mustangs SVT Cobras again. Shelby doesn't do poo poo these days except sue everybody.

From my conversations with an average car person: probably never. The Shelby badge carries a whole lot of credibility; enough so to justify spending $60+k on a Mustang.

A lot of (ignorant) people seem think the Mustang GT is crap. I was having a conversation with my uncle (not a car person) the other weekend and he was chastising the GTs in general because he seems to think that since his Tundra can take a bone stock fox-body GT in a highway drag race, all Mustang GTs are slow. He basically said, "The Shelby is the only new Mustang that's worth a drat."

So yeah, the car-buying public is stupid and Shelby makes Mustangs look better to haters. So, I think Ford will keep them on for as long as possible.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
I'm interested to see how the V6 holds up to boost over time. If they do seem to hold up well and this kit is cheap enough, the sixer may just end up a better used deal than the GT, especially if the 2011 keeps up the historically terrible depreciation that has plagued the V6 in the past. Picking up one of these for $13k in three years and slapping on this charger with some suspension and 3.73s would make for a hell of a car.

(I hope this kit doesn't end up being $5k.)

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

frozenphil posted:

The v8 kits are around $5k, so I seriously doubt the v6 kit will be cheaper.

Its hard to tell from the pictures, but is it the same actual supercharger unit as the V8 model, just mounted differently?

Edit: Nevermind; they are the same unit.

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 10, 2011

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

frozenphil posted:

For those of you interested in what changed for the 2012 Mustang lineup, have a pdf of all standard features and options, as well as a list of what changed from 2011.

I'm really disappointed to see that you can't get the regular GT with the Recaro seats. Maybe next year.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
I saw my first BOSS 302 in the wild today; it was Competition Orange and boy did it sound sexy.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Nice. What kind of care does a matte car need? I imagine the cheapest way to mate a car is to use vinyl wraps, how well would that stand up to time and the elements?

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

kronix posted:

This is truth, when I was shopping the dealership was willing to put leather in a base GT for me for like $900 when I told them I didn't want a base GT they had on the lot. As long as you don't get a crazy interior color I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem.

That's actually awesome to hear. I'm in the same position as Number_6, I want the upgraded stereo but not the leather seats. I was thinking I would have the splurge for the Recaros in order to get cloth seats.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Elephanthead posted:

I almost bought an LS because of this. Best improvement to cars since the wiper motor.

For leather seats, agreed. But, I don't understand why people go gaga over (p)leather seats in cars. There is a lot more variety that you can get with cloth seats. They are cooler in the summer and hotter in the winter, and your rear end doesn't slide around in them nearly as much as with leather.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Killbot posted:

I wonder if this will make Ford wuss out on the next Mustang refresh.

I wouldn't go that far, but I do think that it means that retro is out for 2014. I don't know many people that would argue that the Mustang is the better looking of the two. Hell, the Camaro won World Car Design of the Year, and is the only domestic car to ever be considered. I think that has a lot to do with the sales numbers.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Elephanthead posted:

I make sure the salesperson knows that they will make no money off of me and only deal with them during the week when they would not be selling a car anyway. As long as they agree to do the sale just to move a unit beforehand, they are more likely to sell it for no profit, i.e. commision. The best I ever got was two guys spliting a $37 dollar commision to sell me an s-10.

Would you mind expanding upon your strategy a little bit? I imagine you don't just waltz in on a Tuesday morning and say, "you're going to sell me this car, make nothing doing it, and be happy I gave you even that much."

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
This isn't really Mustang related, but it could be an appropriate tangent for this thread:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/02/lincoln-considering-a-performance-line/

Since a lot of people (online) seem to be asking Ford to make a v6 EcoBoost 'Stang, and Lincoln is looking to spice things up, maybe they will consider a two- and four-door, Mustang derived car to kick off their performance lineup?

Lincoln is a really a near non-competitor in the luxury car market, so much so that I'm surprised they exist anymore. However, a CTS/G-/3-series fighter that is derived from the Mustang's platform could really diversify their lineup and attract new customers without stepping on the Mustang's toes.

The Lincoln (MK-9???) could be a high-tech Japanese/Euro style car with IRS and both, the 3.7 and 3.5 EB motor. Ford has pretty much become the techiest car company out there, so a ton of cool gadgets is a given. Heck, maybe they could figure out how to squeeze and all-wheel drive system in there as well.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

frozenphil posted:

Sigtrap, I am so mad at you!

If you want to sort this issue out like men, I bet I could find a kiddy pool and some jello...

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
That's a seriously good price. I have a hard time believing you'll see much, if any, depreciation on that as long as you keep it in good condition. Mach Is are pretty drat awesome.

I'll take mine in Sonic Blue Azure Blue though.

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 21, 2011

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

kronix posted:

I bet we'll see it in 2014, but it won't be a 2014 model. The 2015 is going to be the new Mustang and I'd bet money on it. I just don't see ford only going 3 years on the current Mustang. The original SN-95 was only 4 but the new edge went for 6 and the 2005's had until 5 years. I say this model will get 4 years at the least.

Technically the "new edge" was an SN-95 with an updated body; which is the same as our current platform. 2014 would give the current platform a nine-year run, which is pretty good.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

MikeyTsi posted:

Except for the fact that they're discontinuing the Ranger, right?

They made approximately a billion of them though. There are over 50 for sale for under 10k within 25 miles of where I live; half of those are going for less than 5k.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Looks like there is a bit more news the next generation 'Stang. Unfortunately, we will be waiting until spring of 2014 for it. Also unfortunately, those are the only solid new details yet.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/07/06/refreshed-mustang-coming-in-2013-next-generation-to-be-2015-model/

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

IOwnCalculus posted:

Edit: This is all pointless bench racing, I think we can all still safely agree that people who bought 2010 Mustangs, especially the V6 model, should kick themselves.

Unless they got a solid deal. I would be okay with paying $20k for a new 2010 GT.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
The Mustang demographic is aging pure and simple. It only takes one look at the interior (and price) to tell that it was designed specifically for the 35+ crowd. Maybe Phil is right about the new 'Stang being a disappointment. The price point is already too high for the younger crowd, so making it appeal to them isn't in Ford's bet interest.

Then again, if Ford managed to pull off a $17,000 base model Mustang, this could be very hot. A smaller, more widely used chassis will help them accomplish this. The boomers have proven that they are more than willing to go down-market and buy "young persons" cars, just look at Scions popularity with that demographic.

I'm going to say it is a risky gamble, but it could pay off really big for Ford.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

OrganizedEntropy posted:

Recaro Racing Seats (EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE)

Great looking car! One thing that pisses me off about the GT is it doesn't have performance oriented seats, or even the option unless you go for the Boss or Cobra.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Do the BOSS/GT500 Recaros come with the side-impact airbags as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
One of my former co-workers just sent me an email of the new Mustang he just got, it is a Kentucky Speedway Pace Car GT convertible. Hell of an upgrade from the Prius he used to drive.

He was actually in the market for a 370z before I told him that he must at least drive the Mustang before making a decision.