Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Ned_Perfel posted:

I must be missing something on the v6 mustang. I got a rental '10 model for a week and wasn't impressed in the least (looking aside from the engine).

Well, for starters, the '10 did not have the 300 hp, 31 mpg v6 that everyone is beating off to. '11 is basically the first year anyone has ever been excited about a v6 Mustang.

Plus I think the '11 v6 has the same/better suspension than the '10 v8?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Powershift posted:

It also ... 400lbs heavier.

:suicide:

What would it take to remove 400 pounds from a Mustang, creature comforts be damned?

Which brings up another thing: rear seat deletes. The back seat in my current 2003 Mustang has only carried passengers once, carpooling to school for a semester (which I only did because I had the hots for one of the two girls I car pooled with). And once my best friend's wife rode in the back. That's it. However, it has carried all of my worldly possessions at least a dozen times. That includes two 4-foot tall tower speakers, 2 20" CRT monitors, a guitar, amp, and all my clothes. And a mid-sized desktop tower.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Skyssx posted:

"This article is no longer available online for free."

Nope, not interested.

Page loads fine for me. The internet just hates you, Skyssx.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

buying a Mustang GT to teach my girlfriend to drive

This probably isn't as bad as my best friend teaching me to drive stick in an LS1-swapped 944, but not by much.

Professionals have likened the clutch in that car to "kicking a dead man."

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

I assume you're talking about the Mustang, but which one?

Anyway, it's the whole "buy a car which she can [learn to] drive, but that I can also enjoy when I drive it" problem. She's expressed anxiety about driving my Skyline due to the whole right-hand drive thing, and I want to give her the chance I never had by teaching her how to drive in a manual, rear-wheel drive vehicle. The Mustang GT is just the current front-runner; I've changed my mind a few times throughout the course of the summer.

The dead man clutch was the 944 I learned in.

I had been driving for 13 years by the time I learned stick (only legally for 4, hooray for rural areas), but 300 hp for learning to drive stick was intimidating even to me, doubly so because it wasn't my car. Even knowing the mechanics of how a transmission works and knowing that I was doing nothing that could possibly gently caress it up, I was nervous as hell. Shifting into second was nearly as hard as getting the car rolling in the first place.

I would seriously suggest buying something more forgiving in the transmission department on the cheap, cheap enough that you don't need a loan anyway. Then trade it in for the Mustang/other fun car a few months later once she's comfortable with it. Choosing the right car will prevent you from biting it on the depreciation and you've got that trade-in value to deduct on top of any extra you save up on a down-payment.

My second time with a stick was for that same friend's newly acquired (by marriage) 1995 MX3. 88 horsepower and even less weight than the 944 with a heavier flywheel and I was an expert within the hour.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Hypnolobster posted:

That sounds fantastic. Stop complaining :colbert:

It would be fantastic if the guy who did it for him had done more than a half-assed job and the car hadn't already been beat on by previous owners, which included a 17 year old girl (Which I admit would have been hot when she had it).

For instance, until I drove his MX-3 I thought clutches were supposed[i] to have two levels of tension in them instead of a smooth action. Pressing the clutch down for the first ~2 inches provided about the same resistance as your average throttle pedal, and then suddenly ramped up to trying to press down on a brick wall. But the friction point was 1-1.5 inches [i]after that point. Being new, I thought the sudden extra pressure meant the clutch plate had been pulled out of contact with the flywheel, so now I was the only thing pushing back on the springs. Because of this, even when told where the friction point was, my body just refused to believe that it was anywhere other than that spot. You can imagine what kind of havoc that played when you're trying to learn to shift smoothly.

That just covers the clutch itself. I could probably make a megapost about the problems this car has. Most just weren't noticeable until the LS1 got put in, thanks to the shifting weight and the doubled power.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

frozenphil posted:

I was confused because you asked about the SN95 IRS when the SN95 chassis never had an IRS.

Many people still consider the New Edge an SN95. Part of this is because Ford still calls it the SN95 platform.

Was there even a difference in the platform between the original SN95 and New Edge? I thought it was just an exterior redesign.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
Phil, unless you can find a concrete definition for what exactly is required to be considered a new generation, this whole arguing business is stupid.

Until then it's a subjective thing, and you need to stop getting all pissy about people having a different definition for it, especially when theirs is backed by the actual manufacturer.

Lots of people consider the New Edge an SN95. Lots of people consider the SN95 a Fox Body. Lots of people think every Mustang from 1979 to 2004 is the same generation, including whoever the hell wrote the first ever article I read about the S197 (They talked about how the Mustang hadn't been updated in 25 years). Deal with it.

The sad thing is that given how involved you are in the Mustang community, you had to have known this in the first place- so there was no reason at all for you to be confused when Q_Res' question came up. It just smacks of trolling.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

oRenj9 posted:

Well then, let me personally thank you for wishing into existence the best Mustang available since the old Terminator. Now, all that I have to do is, come up with the money and wait...

The correct thing to do is ask frozenphil to predict a Mustang with a thousand horsepower that costs about a hundred dollars and gets 100 miles to the gallon, and is free to insure.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

A.o.D. posted:

Why yes, the sound of my exhaust note IS more important than your cell phone conversation.

Shouldn't be on a cell phone while driving anyway!

Especially in certain areas of this country where it is illegal.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

A.o.D. posted:

The 06 GT I just bought has a black leather interior. I'll let you know how it gets this summer (in Louisiana). Good god it'll probably suck. I hope the AC in a mustang is really good.

I never put the A/C on max in my '03, because even in the 100 degree heatwaves in the middle of August I get worried that parts of my body will end up frostbitten after a few minutes. My balls feel cold from the glancing draft of the left vent even through a pair of jeans and boxers.

Although you do need to give it a minute or two (which I spend standing outside with the door open) after cranking, obviously. I just dip my hand in front of the vent by the door hinge occasionally to feel if it's cooled down yet.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Muffinpox posted:

Bolt on means anything you can pop on a car without need for modification. It generally means intake, exhaust, cams, and computer flash, although anything can really qualify. I've heard new rear ends and Nitrous referred to as bolt up.

The way I've always used it:

If there's no cutting or welding, it's bolt-on.

Or duct-tape-on.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
I'm curious if he meant he didn't understand why there isn't a mechanism that simply turns the headlights on when you activate the wipers. It wouldn't be that difficult to implement, after all.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Presto posted:

Sorry about your climate. :smug:

Phil lives in the south.

Where the problem is that driving with the top down results in HORRIFIC SUNBURN.

Something most convertible drivers forget about.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Slow is Fast posted:

You mean it shuts off early at the pump?

If that's the case, my dads car does it. Turns out its a huge problem and a PITA to fix. Solution? He just turns the nozzle sideways at the pump. Go figure.

Also, you can pull the nozzle out about half an inch.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

frozenphil posted:

Daily driver, 3955lbs curb weight, stock suspension, stock transmission, stock rear (other than gears), 9.4 in the quarter all day every day.

http://youtu.be/QcDEMvct_Bk

These cars are pretty special.

Where did the extra weight come from? I thought the 2011's were in the 3700 lb. range with the auto transmission?

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

I'm pretty partial to this one:

That giant gaping maw is too much, but if they just painted that middle piece the same color as the body (and didn't run the stripes into the black on the top edge), that would be a pretty drat awesome looking Mustang.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

frozenphil posted:

Can you think of a better way to send the Ranger off? Tell me you wouldn't buy the poo poo out of a baby Lightning.

I wouldn't, but I have no need for a truck and regularly get pissed off at being on a 4-lane highway clogged with trucks that AREN'T loving BEING USED AS TRUCKS. I also don't like being a hypocrite.

Thus, I want a 5.0 in a Taurus SHO.

Or comedy option: a 5.Probe.

Actually gently caress it, how do the physical dimensions compare to a small block Chevy? I'll cram one in a 944 and piss off my buddy who put an LS1 in his.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm pretty sure the LS1 in a 944 is a damned tight fit.

Yes, yes it is.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

frozenphil posted:

You do realize that Mustangs haven't had a pushrod engine for 16 years, right?

...wasn't the 3.8L V6 a pushrod?

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

shodanjr_gr posted:

Seriously? I moved across the US in my V6 and practically fit my entire dorm room in it...

Seriously, list of things I crammed in a 2003 Mustang all at once:

2 4' tall home theater tower speakers
1 Amplifier for those speakers
1 Logitech Z5500 sound system
2 19" CRT monitors
1 Guitar
1 Guitar Amp
1 Computer
1 Laptop
2 Xbox 360's, in box (I transport them in the boxes for some reason)
4 years worth of engineering textbooks
30+ novels
3 1:8 scale Lego Ferraris
80+ DVD's and Games
~5 die cast cars (all Mustangs)
1 box full of spare cables and adapters
2 (small) toolboxes
All of my bathroom necessities
My entire wardrobe

I did have to make a second trip for the bed, desk, bookshelves, and recliner.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

OrganizedEntropy posted:

My insurance quote for the GT500 was also alot cheaper than a 5.0L...

Uh.... why?

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

frozenphil posted:

:hfive:
This is what I do too. I'm looking to replace the stereo in my '03.

I want to do the exact same thing! I could really use some bluetooth or a wired ipod connection so I can stop burning CD's.

Edit: by exact same thing I mean I also have an '03.

But hopefully I will have a job next week that pays engineer money and I'll hold out and buy a new Mustang in 1-2 years.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

frozenphil posted:

Not unless you absolutely love this car and it has everything you've ever wanted in a Mustang. That's the price they're asking.
If this car was around $10k is would be an OK deal.

loving. Barrett. Jackson.

Now everyone with a first gen Mustang thinks they can get 100k for it.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
Jesus, my '03 decided that now that I have a job it would be a good time to start being randomly bitchy.

Check fuel cap and Service Engine light came on. Code was for a gross evaporation leak. Leak was from a GOD drat SQUIRREL CHEWING A QUARTER SIZED HOLE in the evap line. It was near the end and there was a lot of slack, so we snipped off the holed section and reattached. Still throwing the same code, so I'm guessing the little bastard had a second meal that I didn't noticed. I bet there's a squirrel in my yard that's really fuckin' high from sniffing gas fumes.

Also discovered my windshield was leaking coming back from my first day on the job in the good old-fashioned way: At 65 mph in the middle of a downpour, wondering where the gently caress that drip on my hand was coming from.

And finally the driver-side wiper blade currently installed is lovely and tries to make a break for it after 2-3 minutes of use. Centripetal force keeps it on, but it vibrates from not being secured properly. At least that one is an easy fix (need new blades anyway).

Edit: Completely forgot that the radiator fan is rattling, too.

Now I'm debating whether to save up and go straight for a new GT, or to buy an LS2 GTO sometime sooner and get the GT later, just to get rid of this one sooner.

ApathyGifted fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 25, 2011

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
Hey guys, I'm trying to replace the pads on my '03 V6, and I'm running into an issue on the rears.

I can't compress the drat pistons. I've got the special tool you need to rotate it, but rotating isn't causing it to compress any, it just keeps on spinning. I'm having this issue on both sides, so I've been thinking it's more me and less something broken. This is actually my first brake job, so any help would be appreciated as I have no clue what I'm doing now that it's not going according to plan.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
Thanks for the advice guys, but those assholes wouldn't budge, so I have new calipers on the rear and they work perfectly. Good thing I got into the replacement mindset because the front calipers are seized now that the new pads are in. So a pair of new calipers are sitting by the car while I type this to pass the time waiting for the front brakes to cool down to less than lethal temperatures after the drive to pick up the new ones. I'm stuck in a friend's back yard 80 miles from home at 6 pm in November trying to fix this and I have to go to work tomorrow at 8. I think I am a true AIer now.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

OrganizedEntropy posted:

I thought those were just photos of the 2010/2011 Mustang that Motor Trend photoshopped a few months back?

The fact they even said that it hadn't debuted yet should have been a clue.

On another note, does anyone have suggestions on head units for an '03 with the Mach 460 system? Specifically one that has Bluetooth capability so I can wirelessly play music from my iPhone.

ApathyGifted fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 23, 2011

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

You Am I posted:

Wait a second, is that THE Mustang back on the road under its own power?

I'm pretty sure phil painted his bullitt green, not to mention the Earth is still spinning

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

sanchez posted:

2012 GT's are down to $26,100 locally, that'd be an amazing deal..

With or without options?

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
So, I'm getting a squeaking noise somewhere in/near the steering rack of my '03. Only happens in certain weather conditions (typically below 55 degrees, wet). Seems to be coming from both ends of the steering rack, somewhere inside the dust boots.

Googling turned up TSB 04-24-8, but also some posts saying the fix outlined there did not work.

I'm trading this in for a Corvette in a month or two, so is this even an issue worth fixing?

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

clutchpuck posted:

My 2000 does what you describe and I had it diagnosed: dried-out / failing tie rod ends. My quote was $300ish to change out both outer ends. If it's just a little squeaky, it's probably not dangerous but it'll eventually wear down to metal-on-metal and that's bad news bears.

But the noise isn't coming from the tie rod ends? I'm probably wrong about it coming from inside the dust boots on the steering rack too (it's drat hard to pinpoint a high-pitched noise like that), but since it's coming from the direction of the rack itself and not the wheels I think the fix outlined in the TSB would be the way to go (since it's also the cheapest possibility I can think of). I've already ordered new bushings and a tube bracket, along with a torque wrench since I seem to have gotten through life without one so far.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

MikeyTsi posted:

Ummm, you know what's inside those dust boots on the steering rack, right?

Sorry, I hear tie rod ends and think of the other end for some reason. Engineer brain - either be specific or name it something else entirely.

I do the same when people say "rods." Don't know if they're talking about connecting rods or push rods.

Edit: and the sound of course has stopped completely after I ordered (but have yet to receive) replacement parts anyway. Assumed it was the cheaper and easier (and given the TSB, more common) problem to fix. Either it'll fix it, or I'll be wrong and have to replace some inner tie rod ends. Or the sound will go away long enough to sell it and get a Corvette, after which I'll have a reason to get confused when someone says "rods" to me.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

lazer_chicken posted:

The original battery in my 07 was still going strong when I sold it a month ago. Motorcraft batteries are the best.

My '03 finally died sometime in '11.

That was with approximately 4 years of sitting around doing nothing too, between not having a parking permit in college and unemployment.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Tide posted:

There's a fair amount of space up front in the '13 and '14's, no doubt. Especially that nose. I've never really though the Mustang was a big car, just a bit heavy. The 6" of width they're taking out makes me give it a bit of the stinkeye, though.

Anyway, I like the grill/nose section. Looks muscular. Wonder how long it will take someone to make a kit to fit the IRS to S197s?

I haven't been in an S197, but I bet you could lose most of that width by just making the side of the cabin above the door more vertical. Looking at some front view pictures, they lean in as much as in an SN95, and in my SN95 I could only move my head an inch or two to the left before I would hit the ceiling as it curved down to meet the window. Contrast this to my Vette, where I have slightly less room directly above my head, but I can move a good 4-6 inches to the side before I hit window (and I actually hit the window, not the ceiling like in my Mustang). If you get that headroom back, you can cut some width in the doors with just a thinner (and hopefully higher quality) interior styling. Maybe not a full six inches between both sides, but enough that you won't notice too much that the center console got thinner.

In fact, I just clicked on the links above about the front fascia reveal after writing that paragraph. It's difficult to tell because the shots are all slightly higher-angle, but I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they've done. The windows do not seem to bow in as much as they go up compared to the S197. There's a few shots where it looks the same, but those are all angles where the rake of the roof exaggerates the taper.

Also that giant camper-shell tarp on the back is making me think they're hiding a fastback underneath.

You know, I originally planned on replacing my current Vette with a slightly newer Z06 (2008-2010) in 4-5 years, but if there's a 450-ish hp option in a brand-new Mustang at that point, I may just try that out for a couple of years before getting an early C7 Z06 instead. Which brings me back full circle to when I was planning to buy a brand new 5.0 instead of a used Corvette to replace my previous Mustang.

Also I apologize for talking about a Corvette in the Mustang thread. I love them both... a lot. Under my TV I have models of a '67 mustang and a C6 Corvette next to each other. Unless I can some day afford an Aston Martin or a Ford GT, I'm probably only ever going to own Mustangs and Corvettes. Even when I have kids. Or 1 kid, whose mother I will divorce because I can only carry one passenger, damnit.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

coolskillrex remix posted:

and you basically have the highest hp car on AI now that i think about it. Holy gently caress.

Is this a challenge?

Because I want to be able to afford to accept it.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Introducing the new Saleen Mustaro

Or Camstang.

I thought Saleen went out of business. If they're still around, where's my god damned S5 Raptor? That poo poo was cool.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Cage posted:

I've been looking for a winter car since I ruined the exhaust driving my lowered gt last winter. So I'm going to look at a 97 V6 today, looks clean, 125k miles. Wasn't really looking for another mustang but the price is right and its 2 minutes away. If its at stock ride height ill be golden, plus I've already got snows mounted on stock wheels.

Hopefully in a few hours I'll have 2 black ponies in my stable.

If you've got winters bad enough to be ruining car parts, the open diff on the SN95 V6's aren't going to be doing you any favors in snow and ice.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
http://youtu.be/OJeqJh4-Qwc

This was in the related videos, testing it at the Nurburgring. Lots of nice sounds of the engine under load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Vahakyla posted:

They are not roadtrip seats, but it is nice to be able to offer rides to people or take a group to a restaurant and similar. One of the reasons I could not do a backseat delete. The convenience of them is just too valuable.

Counterpoint: you never have to be the one shuttling people around/the designated driver.
Counter-counter point: If you're not a douchebag you end up picking up the tabs more often to compensate.