Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
What can you guys tell me about the newer S197 convertible mustangs specifically the GT500s, as you know most of the mustang forums are a cluster.

My mother has wanted a Shelby cobra since before I can remember, and a convertible. We are now in a position to make her dreams come true, and she was one signature away from buying a Kona blue 2011 Roush stage 1 convertible but I got here to wait since I know that those are just an appearance package for the 7k extra. I think she would be scared of the 550 hp in the 2011 GT500, however I heard something about the my key thing which limits the speed??? anyway I think I am going to take her to Atlanta to look at some cars including some used GT500s this weekend and want to know some more about what I am looking at. So anything other than the stripes looking lovely I should be looking out for?

Holdbrooks fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

Imperador do Brasil posted:

MyKey is a programmable option, where you can limit a certain key to a certain speed. However, that doesn't limit how fast you can get to that speed, so you can still get yourself in trouble if you aren't prepared for the power. As far as used GT500's, you should definitely look for a good service history just like any other car. Anything before 2011 won't have MyKey, or the option of the SVT Track Pack (if she's even interested in that). Also remember that up until 09 the GT500's had 500hp, and in 2010 they had 540hp, but not until 2011 did the cars get an aluminum engine block, so the steering is a little heavier, as well as having slightly poorer fuel economy. Really, the 2011 is pretty different from even the 2010, but that won't make an earlier GT500 any less fun.

Are they easy enough to drive? I know they have a TCS, but are you scraed to drive in the wet? it will be her DD and she will drive it easy, but I don't want her to wad it up the first time it rains.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
So in the end she decided to go with a 2011 GT/CS convertible in race red. and I am ordering a Flowmaster hushmaster axleback to get the sound more like the GT500. Ultimatly the smoother suspension and transmission was better for the daily city driving she will be doing.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

yeah, thats still sitting in my cart there but I think she likes the flowmasters better, and I think they might be a little louder than the stock gt500 ones. but I'm kind of worried that they might drone.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

frozenphil posted:

There's a reason Flowmasters are called Dronemasters. Hope you don't spend any time in the 1500 to 2500 RPM range.

yeah, with the 6 speed I doubt she will plus she has some trouble hearing the lower frequencies so she probably cant here it anyway. if she is not happy the I'll just sell them and put the gt500 ones on.

we go an pick the car up today and the flowmasters should be at my door by Thursday.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

frozenphil posted:

It was a joke, but since you don't yet own a Mustang I guess you didn't get it. Unless you're accelerating briskly a Mustang lives its life in the 1500 to 2500 RPM range. When you couple that with the fact that Flowmasters drone their worst in the 1500 to 2500 RPM range you get a combo that is miserable after a few minutes of driving. Hearing has little to do with drone as drone is more of a vibration that buzzes your ears.
I know you already made your purchase, but for future information, Magnaflow makes the best exhaust for these cars in both drone, power, and sound.

I agree on the magnaflow, it is what I always buy. however she seemed to hate the sound, at least the Huspower exhaust Isn't a chambered design so It won't be like the 40's or other regular flowmasters, or so that is my hope. she like the low rumble but unfortunately that might lead to droning in the lower rpms too. I'll post up a video when I put them on this week, and let her decide, I Think I am immune to drone since I DD a STi with a full catless titanium exhaust, I cant even talk on the phone and drive lol.

Either way she is super pumped to go pick it up when she get off work today, as am I.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

RockSmart posted:

They're probably trying to move the '11s since they've just gotten two of the 12's on the lot. They come with a garage door opener and selectable EPAS and cost thousands more since there's no incentives.

He said it's a 400 dollar option. How that translates into a dealer option I don't know. It's not just the parts and the labor, it needs to be tuned also.

To get all $3000 worth of incentives I have to use their financing, which doesn't have the best rates. But is there anything stopping me from financing through them, getting my own financing (USAA) and bringing them a check for the full amount?

no, that is exactly what my mom did on her GT. she only sent the first payment to their company.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
Here is a good look at the underside of the new BOSS, pretty cool.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/03/03/a-look-at-the-underside-of-the-2012-mustang-boss-302/

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

kimbo305 posted:

The one thing I've learned from my hunt is that the factory splitter for the Laguna Seca is actually a dealer-installed part. It's deemed too unwieldy for street use, so it's shipped separately from the car. The text in the brochure notes that, no, you cannot fit it into the car in any way and take it home with you.

e: How did that one resonator already get dented up?

It is made like that for some reason, the stock exhaust on my moms 2011 gt is the same way, I changed out the axle back and noticed that the day we got it home.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

mod sassinator posted:

Official info on the 2013 GT500 is out!

650hp

Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooly poo poo!

that's impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
I am looking for some insight on boltons for my moms car. She has a 2011 GT/CS convertible and I put on the flowmaster hushpower axelback as soon as we got it home. What are the common things to free up some ponies in these with relatively easy install. I'm thinking along the lines of CAI, intake, test pipe, maybe headers if the install isn't awful. As far as the tune I have no idea what to do or what companies I should avoid, I remember hearing about some that were blowing motors.