Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Nice looking New edge, I was thinking about those wheels in black but I think I will either go with the cobra replicas in 17x9 and 17x10.5 or the black GT500 wheels. Everyone should whore out thier stangs in this thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

frozenphil posted:

For the love of God, please don't get the same kind of drat wheels as everyone else in the Mustang community. I just can't fathom why everyone who drives a Mustang has this burning desire to buy the same kind of wheels as everyone else with a Mustang. There are dozens of wheel manufacturers out there. A few of them even make good looking wheels that will fit your Mustang. Break the cycle that Mustang owners have fallen into and buy something unique.

I don't mean to single you out, but this is one of my biggest pet peeves with Mustang owners.

Good call I do like to be different, I am finding some other wheels that I guess arent typical of Mustangs that I can go with. Id really like some sort of BBS style wheels (not basket weaves although that certainly would be different)

:ninja: Well hey would you look at that... http://www.elementwheels.com/proddetail.asp?prod=sm521885bsm521810b

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 16, 2010

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

frozenphil posted:

Agreed. However, a mix and match of those can look really good. I'm very partial to the '03/'04 Cobra front bumper, Cobra R hood, and Saleen S281 3 piece rear wing combo myself.

I completely agree with you here and I will deff check out True Forged as well.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Jesus Christ thats awesome. Im glad that the engine can really put out some serious power. And people were worried that it was pretty much at max from the factory

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
They really screwed up those colors....

And what is the deal with the exhaust? Is there something I am missing as to why it has 4 exhaust outlets?

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Question for anyone with a New Edge, I'm sure phil will chime in fastest tho. I need to change the plugs on my New Edge GT. I should use motorcraft plugs correct? Theres no FI at the moment or anything that I think would require a colder plug.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Thanks Phil!

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Got a present for my car today :smug:

Picked up the composite race shift knob, and some new front speakers because one of my tweeters and one of the 5x7s were shot.

Shifts like butter.. mmmmm

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 2, 2010

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
I think my radiator is making GBS threads the bed. What would be my best bet for replacement? I hear a lot about fitiment and leaking issues with the Mishimoto radiator. Would my best bet be to go with a stock cobra setup from an 03/04?

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Ok well I don't think my radiator is the issue. I pulled the hoses and it seems to be flowing properly, no gunk build up or anything. I had flushed it already at the beginning of the summer. However my coolant overflow tank over flowed last night when I pulled in to my driveway after work (this was before I pulled the hoses and re-filled the fluid). Coolant running out of where the cap screws on. There wasn't too much coolant in the system prior to this so I am not sure what is going on. Does this sound like my thermostat is going bad? Its a cheap part so replacing it isnt an issue, just trying to get some opinions.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

frozenphil posted:

So, what year/model is your car? Any mods?

How does the radiator cap itself look? May just be a cracked gasket on the cap not letting the system pressurize and causing it to boil over.
Any bubbles in the coolant when the car is running? If so, do a compression test to check for a possible blown head gasket.

2001 gt, 76,xxx miles. Only mods so far are a CAI. Cap looks OK to the naked eye, Ill double check for any cracks in the gasket, doesn't appear to be any bubbling in the system while the car is running.

Also there doesn't seem to be any oil in the coolant or water/coolant in the oil but Ill do a compression test to check the head gaskets if I cant get this straightened out in a day or two.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

MikeyTsi posted:

Just buy a new cap. They're what, $5?

Im going to buy a new cap and a new thermostat. Ill check the compression at the same time and change the plugs while I am at it. Hopefully it is a simple fix and not a head gasket

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Figured out the issue with my coolant was a bad thermostat and me not burping the system properly :downs:

frozenphil: In the other mustang thread you mentioned a fuel system, forged short blocks, and ported heads for a New Edge GT. I dont suppose you remember what those were?

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

frozenphil posted:

There are dozens of each of those. Got any more info? I was probably talking about these companies as they are the best bang for the buck in each of those categories:

Glenn's Performance
DSS
Modular Head Shop

Those are exactly the 3! thanks a lot!

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Just wanted to say that my Header back exhaust and my 4/10 gears are on the way an next is a tune and getting her ready for winter.

I love my car :-)

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Super excited for the weekend. Seafoaming with an oil change and then while im under there I am going to wire wheel some rust and then put my BBK O/R X pipe on and my LM2 Catback I just ordered :buddy:

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 4, 2010

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Well I got my O/R X pipe and my SLP Catback on but now the car sounds like a tractor because I snapped two of the header flange studs! :downsgun:

There is plenty of material to pull the old ones off and replace with new but I cant get at them and I am done loving with it. Any idea how much this is going to cost me? Its one drat stud on either side

Edit: 4 new studs are $10 I wonder what the labor is going to cost.

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 10, 2010

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

frozenphil posted:

Depends on the shop, but most are going to want to drop the k-member. I wouldn't be surprised to see a $1,000 quote because no one wants to do that job.

gently caress. Looks like im going back under it, there are threads lift on both the studs would heating them up with a propane torch and using a stud removal tool be my best bet for removing these fuckers?

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 10, 2010

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

frozenphil posted:

Yeah, that should work.

poo poo happens. I didn't have any problem with mine, but it's not exactly uncommon. The studs he's referring to are on the end of the manifold. You can see them pretty clearly here on these S197 manifolds.

Yup those are the little fuckers. Especially that lower one on the passenger side :argh:

Picked up a new torch and Autozone gave me the wrong size studs. Now I gotta return those and find the right size ones. Also gotta find my stud extractor.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Sorry I keep asking questions but I feel like I am better off having you guys answer then anyone on any of the mustang forums.

If I get these drat things out could I just replace them with some bolts with some lock washers and lock tight?

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
:sigh: I feel like an idiot but can anyone help me track down the proper size studs for these drat header flanges. are they 3/8-16" or metric? I am fairly certain the 5.0 guys are 3/8-16 but I'll be damned if I can find a definitive answer for the 4.6

Edit: NVM they are metric. 10-1.25

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 12, 2010

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
I seem to remember reading somewhere that a very large percentage of people have the gear ratio changed in their Mustangs. Considering the cost of gears +install runs about as much as a cat-back exhaust in most cases I would consider it a bolt on.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Omegaslast posted:

Whats the difference between the 3.73 gear kit for $260 and the $160 gears? How much does installation typically run for these things, and do they do an adjustment to the odometer so it accurately records miles? (i have a 99 GT and im almost positive it has 3.55 gears... ill have to get under there soon and do the driveshaft/wheel revolution test)

The $260 kit includes:

1 Ford Racing Performance Parts 3.73:1 gearset
1 Master bearing kit (includes pinion & carrier bearings, pinion seal, ring gear bolts, pinion nut, crush sleeve, shims, and marking compound)
1 bottle of Ford Racing Performance Parts Friction Modifier
2 bottles of Royal Purple 75W90 gear oil

The $160 gears is only the gear set.

I got a quote from a shop close by me to have my 4.10 gears installed. The final total was $312.35 to install the gears that I already have. That included all the fluids, the shop rate and new gaskets etc.

Edit: Beaten like a new Camaro

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 12, 2010

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Omegaslast posted:

So even if i have it installed at a shop chances are i should get the kit? Also in 4th gear at 1600 rpm im at 35 mph exactly... does that sound like 3.55 gears? Guess im getting 4.10s :(

That sounds just about right.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Welp I crawled back under and tried to pull one of the snapped studs. Heated the flange and started cranking on the stud. Snap, gently caress. Went to plan B and used one of these fuckers as a temporary bandaid. http://the-hush.com/

Actually worked really well, I'm curious to see how long it will hold up.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Car has been running like crap for the past 2 days and my mileage has been poo poo, finally threw a code. I never disabled my rear O2s after the Xpipe install :downs: disabled that and adjusted a few other little poo poo (traction control? pffft) and now it runs amazing and sounds orgasmic when I get on it :circlefap:

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Buschur racing is about a half hour drive from here and they run some of their cars at Norwalk raceway close by. I cant wait to see what they do with that Mustang

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Welp here I am again with another issue (really starting to think trading the Jeep for this thing was a bad idea) on the way home from work today she decided that 2nd gear wasnt her friend anymore. Constantly grinds and wants to pop out of gear unless i hold it in there good an hard until it engages which I have been trying not to do so I dont bend the shift fork and gently caress poo poo up more. Theres been no indication of an issue at all leading up to this it just happened all of a sudden. Called around and everyone basically said my second gear is shot and its not going to be a cheap fix.

Im really getting sick of this drat thing at this point. Anyone want to buy an 01 GT with apparently no second gear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
76k on it right now. It has the t-3650 in it