Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

kronix posted:

First of all, I live up in Boston so I'm curious if anyone else has driven a car like that up here in the winters. For the record in college I drove a 94 Camaro to and from work every day in some really lovely conditions on all seasons. I'm not pretending the new 5.0 will be a great winter car I'm just wondering if traction control and good tires will make the car livable if I have drive. What kind of snow tires to people throw on their Mustangs. I commute to work by bus so it's not a huge deal either way.

I've been DD'ing a GTO in the greater Boston area (Foxboro to Burlington for a commute) for 3 years now, and before that a 540i and before that an M3. I've been running nothing but Dunlop Wintersport M3s for snow tires and the only place I've ever gotten stuck is my own un-plowed driveway. I can usually get 2-3 seasons out of a set, which is about 20k miles. Get a second set of cheap rims and you're good to go.

I admit complete ignorance on the Mustang diff (because I'll end up lusting after one and can't afford it) but the key for the GTO and the M3 is the limited slip rear. Decent snows and an LSD will get you through nearly anything. The 540i didn't have an LSD, but the traction control was light-years ahead of the GTO (frankly the TC in the GTO does more harm than good).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

kalvick posted:

I don't have a source for this, but I believe IRS on the Mustang is not as good as other IRS systems on other cars. It was just sort of an after thought to develop an IRS system for the cobras. I think there where some issues with it? correct me if I am wrong.

It's not as good as an IRS actually designed as part of a vehicle since the design team was under constraints that the entire IRS subframe had to bolt up to existing mount points for the solid axle setup. That severely limited them on packaging space and led to a lot of compromises that they weren't too thrilled about. It's not terrible (and probably not the worst) but it isn't as good as it could be.

I've also heard that the entire S197 (I think) series was supposed to be IRS from the base model right up through the Cobra, but that idea killed off since they would lose the drag strip demographic. Looking at all the posts with nothing but new 1/4 mile times it seems like they made the right decision while doing some really good work to get it close to the M3. It's pretty impressive all around.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

Hypnolobster posted:

It locks out second and third in regular driving.

kill me now posted:

It forces a 1-4 shift when you're within some narrow parameters (usually between 12-19mph and at less then 17% throttle)

I don't know if Ford implemented it differently, but in a GTO it only blocks second and lights up a 1->4 indicator on the dash. You can just shift into third if you're too lazy to plug in a resistor.

frozenphil posted:

As has been said, manuals only. Yet another reason automatics rule. :smug:

Hardly, but it did make the manual a no-cost option after the slushbox GTOs got hit with the guzzler tax.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

frozenphil posted:

Nothing to be embarrassed about. It's like being embarrassed about not knowing how to operate a steam engine or some other antiquated technology.

:smug:

More like "Isn't that like trying to take a shower with a raincoat on?". :dance:

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

kimbo305 posted:

The dealer wasn't that friendly, but the MSRP deal for a Boss is real. It seems like Bosses that had been ordered as early as December are only now getting unblocked by material availability issues. So now that they're freed up, the waiting time might be lessened. I think I'm gonna try to find at least a closer dealer that can do MSRP, or maybe better.

I know you're in the greater Boston area. Which dealer did you end up checking out?

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

Killbot posted:

I think you missed my point. Some Mustang owners/fans (like yourself apparently) have a one-dimensional view on judging cars, ie. 0-60 times, Nurburgring, etc. Others would like to have a car that's easy to live with AND has good performance. I fall in the latter camp, and I believe that more complex and advanced tech (including the suspension) will make the car better to own and use every day.

But if you're driving Mustangs against ZR1s all day then yeah, the current one is good enough.

What I think you're not getting is that the people currently buying Mustangs are buying them specifically because it falls into the one-dimension that they want. They are interested (for better or worse) in 1/4 mile and 0-60 times and there is nothing else that is as good at those things at the price.

I think Phil's view is that if you make the Mustang a "better" car with an IRS, etc, etc, it might have a broader journalist appeal but will also be competing against a much broader market segment with less product differentiation. Outside of AI, not many people are going to cross-shop a Mustang and a BMW, nor will people shopping for an Accord suddenly consider it.

Once you remove it from it's current niche there really isn't anything that makes it significantly more desirable than a lot of other choices. Once it goes IRS I'll be more likely to look at one, but that's probably because I'll have close to 150k on the GTO by then.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

Killbot posted:

Well, for countries that haven't had 50 years of Mustangs going down their roads, their knowledge of the car comes from those same journalists, including the one with bad hair and teeth. And when they write in their magazines or say on their tv shows (dubbed or subbed in the nation's language) that "the Mustang has a suspension from Noah's Ark" then they're going to take that at face value and buy something else. It's a huge perception thing, one that Ford will have to overcome if they want a successful global Mustang.

They sell Mustangs here in Korea, but all I see are Genesis coupes (of course), 370Z's, and M3's and 335i's. I saw an M-coupe the other day in orange. Nobody wants a Mustang, because they read about its suspension in a magazine. And none of these cars are exactly cheap here either.

The solid axle is from the dawn of time. This is probably the best implementation of it ever. Like Enzo Ferrari was rumored to say about the Porsche 911 "It's a bad idea, brilliantly executed".

I'd like to see the relative prices of those cars, but I think that no matter what the price or the capabilities of the Mustang you are not going to sway anybody in Korea who was buying a BMW (social status) or the Genesis coupe (buy domestic). You might get some sales from the 370Z, but the numbers won't be high enough to offset lost sales in the US where the perception is that an IRS is expensive, weak and unreliable.

vvvvvvvv -- If I recall, that's mostly because the design was seriously compromised by the insistence that the entire IRS needed to bolt up to the same mounting points as the solid axle offered in all the other models. I'm sure that if they could design the IRS across the board they could do a much better job.

mungtor fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 8, 2011

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

Comrade Flynn posted:

I just bit the bullet and bought a fully loaded '12 GT with 4000 miles for $26,500.

Where, if you don't mind my asking?

Also, has anybody here driven a new GT in the snow with proper snow tires, etc? I'm just curious how good the traction control works, etc. Not because I think I'd rely on it, but more because some TC is so terrible it's worse than having nothing at all (like the GTO).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost
More likely a Mobe.