Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ned_Perfel posted:

I must be missing something on the v6 mustang. I got a rental '10 model for a week and wasn't impressed in the least (looking aside from the engine). Felt heavy and boat like, visibility sucked, and the interior was not anything hot.

For all of the reviews stating how epic the '11 mustang is supposed to be, they must have made a hell of a lot of changes to it. I'll stick with my 3.8 genesis coupe for now though.

As I cross-shopped those two (well, the '11 Mustang), and they were really close. If Hyundai Canada had dropped the price of the Genesis Coupe (which they did recently, to compete with the Mustang V6) when I was looking to buy, I might well have picked the Genesis. However, I also heard terrible things about the 6-speed in the GenCoupe, which lessened my enthusiasm for it. On the other hand, the auto had paddle-shifters, which the Mustang didn't, so if I wanted an automatic, I'd have got the GenCoupe.

I'd say that the Genesis is probably the sportier car in terms of handling, although the Mustang definitely was improved from 2010 to 2011 in that department; however, I think the Mustang strikes a better balance performance and comfort as a daily driver.

Essentially, they are two very well-matched cars, and which one you prefer will more or less come down to your particular tastes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I have around 3000km on my '11 V6 and it's given me no such problems so far. I did go for the manual, though. Sorry to hear you're having so many troubles with yours.

gently caress it's a great car. I just love driving it, even if it's only a few blocks to go to the carwash or buy groceries. Week after next, I'll be driving out to BC, so I'll get to stretch its legs on the highway a little bit.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

You know how much more a windshield costs with the Mustang logo compared to without? According to the people who are going to replace mine tomorrow, around $280 more. I like the Mustang logo (which is indeed very well hidden on the windshield to begin with, all things considered), but it sure as hell isn't worth that much.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

Around where I live (new orleans) Dealerships in the city seem to be charging invoice with no price break. Dealerships on the west bank and the north shore are giving a token price break (a few hundred dollars) just to try and win some business away from the lots in town.

Invoice or MSRP?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

kronix posted:

I think even the brembos might do it in some markets, as they come with summer tires and let's face it, those are useless in the winter time in the Northern part of the country.

I'd never go for straight summer tires on my only vehicle because of the possibility of summer storms (it can and does snow in Calgary in the summer, not to mention those occasions when it hails so much that it piles up and acts like snow), but at the same time, I can't imagine anyone in such a climate would drive something as reasonably unsuitable for winter as a Mustang without putting on actual winter tires. I know I plan to get some winter tires.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

For those who are interested in (highway) fuel economy, I just got done with a 1000km road trip and my '11 V6 managed 26-29 mpg (according to the computer) while going, at most times around an average speed of 110 km/h or so, albeit on mountain roads for a long portion so there's a fair amount of changes in speed and engine load.

I managed to find the limiter for a few seconds at one point, too. It seems to be set at 183 km/h or thereabouts.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I imagine removing the top-speed limiter, like the rev-limiter, is a rather trivial operation if you want it done.

Also, my V6 came with ZR-rated tires, so I think Ford sort of expects people to end up doing this if they want to.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Fucknag posted:

Solid rear axles are apparently the most dangerous thing ever to be designed by mankind.

Yeah, I'm not exactly a "car guy," but can someone explain to me where the idea that a live rear axle is dangerous comes from? What dangerous situation can it create?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Presto posted:

Well, you don't really need it, at least once you fold down the rear headrests, but it's pretty nice.

I'd also like to say that I'm surprised at how cool Sync is. The most shocking thing, speaking as a programmer, is that it really works. It took me longer to figure out how to turn on bluetooth in my ancient Motorola L2 than it did to get it connected to the car. And the voice control knows how to pronounce people's names. :tinfoil:

Sync is pretty awesome for whatever language you're using it in (I assume; I've only tried English), but it can't understand foreign names (for music, or phone contacts) worth a gently caress, which can be annoying from time to time because I listen to a lot of foreign music.

Also, the backup camera is a pretty wicked thing for parallel parking or backing into a parking spot, since you know exactly how much room you have. For general use it's much better and safer to look out your rear window like a normal person, since the camera doesn't have a great field of view.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

oRenj9 posted:

Okay, so I went to two dealerships yesterday to try to test drive a six-speed V6, but they didn't have a single one, they were all automatics. Is Ford just not making any V6-sticks, or can they just not keep them in stock?

I have a V6-stick, so they are making them. According to the dealers I talked to before buying mine, pretty much everyone wanted a stick and no one wanted an automatic, so Ford is/was forcing dealers to buy a certain ratio, leading to the automatics sitting around.

EDIT: This is Canada. I think we have the same kind of automatic-transmission-love as the States, though. When I was looking around at used Z4s and SLKs, the salesmen practically laughed when I said I wanted a stick.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

My Mustang is the first manual I've driven, and I have to say I loving love it. It's a slight pain in the rear end from time to time, but the increased control you get and just generally being more hands-on with the car is worth it. Now, would a really, really good manual-mode automatic be as good, performance and control-wise? Yes, but you're not going to find such a transmission on many cars at the pricepoint of the Mustang, and it would still be less fun.

I don't understand people who say it's a lot of work. The only situation which is a pain in the rear end is stop-and-go traffic, and even that would be better if more people drove stick, because then they wouldn't feel the need to creep forward a foot every two seconds.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Funny, I've had my '11 since June and I haven't noticed anything odd about the clutch, although especially at the beginning I could've used a scapegoat for my making GBS threads shifting and occasional stalls (hey, it's my first manual, give me a break...). I haven't been driving it much (I commute by train, so I still only have around 7000km on it), so maybe I just haven't given it time for the problems to develop. At one point several months ago, for a period of several days, I noticed a reluctance to shift from 2->3, but it hasn't happened since.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

oRenj9 posted:

For leather seats, agreed. But, I don't understand why people go gaga over (p)leather seats in cars. There is a lot more variety that you can get with cloth seats. They are cooler in the summer and hotter in the winter, and your rear end doesn't slide around in them nearly as much as with leather.

They're easier to clean unless you really gently caress something up. That's all I've got.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I test-drove the Camaro just because I thought it'd be stupid to buy a Mustang without at least considering the competition. I didn't find it uncomfortable, and I'm pretty tall, but the visibility was horrid, it felt twice as big as the Mustang, it felt soft and boring to drive, and the automatic transmission was just AWFUL (they didn't have a manual available for a test-drive). The interior was poorly laid out (me and my Dad were baking our balls off before we managed to find the A/C switch, about five minutes into the drive). All that, and they wanted more money than for the Mustang.

Why anyone has bought one is completely beyond me.

Also, I can confirm that the Mustang's heater is every bit as powerful as its A/C. After the engine gets warmed up, you can sweat your rear end off in three seconds flat with the heater on full blast, even if it's -20 outside. After it's at a reasonable temperature, I tend to set it a little bit on the cool side of the middle of the dial, even in the middle of winter.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

sleepness posted:

Hello goons.

I have a rather newbie question. (I'm basically car retarded)

Just getting my first full time job and saving up a decent bit of money, I finally think I'm ready to purchase my first mustang! I've always wanted one, and the 2012s look dreamy to me. (For reference, its the V6 coupe)

However, my question is in the realm of practicality. Since it would be my only car, would it be simply unpractical to purchase one due to the RWD aspect of it? Midwest winters get nasty, and while I love the car, I don't know if its a good option.

I've only driven a FWD my entire life, and am nervous about spending tons of money only to have a car that doesn't drive in winter. I WOULD be buying snow tires in winter, so please factor that into any advice :)

If you need to get through deep snow, you're hosed, but other than that a Mustang with winter tires drives just fine in the winter. I generally didn't drive mine during the winter, because lovely weather means it's faster to just take the train most of the time, but the few times I did, I didn't encounter any problems.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

TenementFunster posted:

I snagged a 5.0 as a rental car last week ($35 more a day than a Grand Marquis? Yes please) last weekend and shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit I need one. None of the dealerships around here have a glass roof model, however, and I'm 100% a sunroof kind of guy. Ford really hit it out of the park with the new 5.0. Unwinding that thing all over town was the best part of my trip.

And yet my idiot friend who just moved to Houston and is looking for a convertible refuses to consider it based on the fact that it's American (he's American too, to be clear). What will it take for these hammerheads to start looking at Fords again?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Killbot posted:

Funny, lowering springs are one of the most popular first modifications people make to their Mustangs.

How do you drive a car like that on the street? Even stock, I have to be careful to make sure my front end doesn't scrape when, for example, driving onto a ferry or driving out of a parking garage onto the street, to say nothing of scraping on any curbstone when parking (though that's really easily avoidable, of course).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Wombot posted:

Yea, but I'll be ready to order one by September, so it would be ready to drive by December. First world problems!

E: Does anyone else think the painted nose on the GT500s and V6s looks better than the all-black plastic nose on the GTs?

Just get a set of snow tires and you'll be able to deal with pretty much anything Seattle winter can throw at you. I drove mine in the winter in Calgary (albeit not on the worst days, because I didn't want to deal with the traffic nightmares) and had no problems whatsoever, even in some terrible conditions (they don't plow residential streets at all, so there's always plenty of snow and ice on them).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

MikeyTsi posted:

The problem with Seattle winters isn't so much what the weather will throw at you, but the fact that other drivers tend to like to throw their CARS at you.

True enough, the same reason I don't particularly like driving in Calgary winters. It's odd: we had a snowstorm yesterday, but it was warm enough that it melted on the roads. Still, visibility was poor. What do drivers do in response? Go 30 under the limit without turning their lights on! Drive for the problem that doesn't exist, all while ignoring and exacerbating the problem that does exist.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Brain Issues posted:

When's the last time you were in gridlock traffic with a manual trans and you thought "WOW this gridlock traffic is so much fun with a manual because I just LOVE having to clutch in and out and go from neutral to first every 2 seconds I JUST LOVE IT, AUTOMATICS ARE SO INFERIOR IN THIS SITUATION".

Honestly I loving HATE automatics, but your argument is just stupid. Driving a manual in gridlocked traffic sucks much worse than driving an automatic in gridlocked traffic, period. All you gotta do is let your foot off the brake with an auto.. gently caress shifting into first just to move two feet and then have to do it all over again.

Gridlock on hills is especially a pain in the rear end, too. If you live in a hilly city with frequent gridlock, I can't fault you for buying an automatic.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think that's a pretty stupid name. Is this something other than the Pony Package, or just a simple renaming? For that matter, is that a Canada-only designation?

EDIT: Ford.com seems to be unclear about this. There's certainly nothing called that, but there is something called the Premium Package, which we don't have in Canada -- but the Premium package is available on both the V6 and GT, whereas the Pony Package is only available on the V6, and I'm frankly too lazy to figure out what differences might exist between the two.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 10, 2011

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Tide posted:

The torch red one I'm looking at has a full service history, garage kept, and driven by an older gent that looks to be in his mid 50s.

Don't assume this means it hasn't been beaten on. My Dad just turned 57, and he still drives his cars hard. Still, you probably won't have to deal with a PO who loved burnouts and powershifting, but don't assume it's been driven softly the whole time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I hope they don't make the car much smaller, or, if they do, sacrifice the backseat instead of front-seat legroom. I love that I can drive for 6-8 hours in the Mustang with only minimal breaks without feeling cramped. All my tall friends have similarly commented on how not-cramped it feels. If that goes away, even in the name of slightly better performance, it will be a significantly less attractive car to me.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

frozenphil posted:

There's a solid 10hp difference in just switching a stock car from 87 to 93 due to the new ECU's ability to change timing and ignition over such a broad range.

So, completely stock, the new Mustangs will perform better with premium compared to regular? drat, I didn't know that! Might be I'll start filling up with premium now.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/06/kia-to-show-rear-drive-v8-coupe-concepts-in-frankfurt-detroit/

There's a V8 RWD Kia coupe in the pipeline. Hopefully it will have a pushrod engine and live axle so Mustang buyers will have something to buy after the Mustang turns into a 240SX.

Jesus, that is a hideous concept car in a hideous colour.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

OrganizedEntropy posted:

I was actually relieved that I didn't get a glass roof. In Calgary we have to deal with a ton of rock chips due to the city gravelling the road in the winter. I've heard complaints from owners that caught rocks on the leading edge of the glass and ended up with cracked roofs. Hell, windshields nearly have to be replaced on a yearly basis here. 3M on the vehicles is a requirement to have paint that'll last more than a year or two.

No idea on the Recaros, but I'm really impressed with them in this application. The seat front also has a faint Cobra label between the slots for the shoulder harness, but nothing that screams "aftermarket seat".

I'll be picking up the car in about 45 minutes so more pictures will follow...of the rubber I'll be putting down in front of the office.

Which dealer did you buy from, out of curiosity?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

It's $52,000 for a Boss 302 up here in Canuckistan... I still really want one. Maybe if I land a massive-rear end contract soon...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Lt. Jebus posted:

Yeah, I test drove a 2011 Camaro and as much as I love how it looks on the outside they really aren't kidding when they say how little you can see out of it.

It's really quite frightening. Even a merge or a lane change feels like a daring manoever, as you can't see a loving thing. I was scared of parking it after the test-drive I took because I had almost no idea where the hood ended. Like you, I liked how it looked, but it was just a terrible car to drive in pretty much every way. Maybe the V8 or higher trims are a whole lot better, but as it stands, I can't help but feel a little insulted when people say it's even close to the Mustang in terms of driving experience.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Like I've always said, I learned to drive stick on my 2011 Mustang, and I drive it reasonably hard, so my transmission's been abused in pretty much every way known to man (including attempting to shift from neutral to first without the clutch at a stop because I am apparently retarded, or at least was not paying sufficient attention) and it still works just fine. I really, really wouldn't about the robustness of the transmission.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Faceless Clock posted:

Is it really that hard to do you own research before posting?

The NHSTA database is at 80 complaints for the 2011 model and 13 for the 2012. Note these are complaints exclusively about the manual transmission.

There's also a poll on the All Ford Mustang forums which indicates that 107 people are having issues with their manual transmission, which is 30.66% of the people who voted in that poll.

Another poll on that forum, which deals with the MT82 exclusively, has 80 people answering that they've had minor issues and 31 people answering that they've had major issues.

In addition to all of this, Ford has not been able to resolve the problem. It's not as if people with this issue are going in to dealerships and coming out with their cars fixed. They're going in to dealerships and being told that there is no solution at this time.

Clearly there is a problem. Anyone who is thinking of buying a Mustang right now needs to head in to it with the knowledge that manual transmission issues could be a part of their ownership experience.

Provide context. What is the average for similar cars per unit sold?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

frozenphil posted:

The disconnect from the amount of difference between a Barrett-Jackson level restoration of a car with a notable history that enables the car to pull hundreds of thousands of dollars and the piece of poo poo by their garage is just staggering to witness in person.

You assume that idiocy only occurs on the seller's end. It's an insane price, to be sure, but there's a sucker born every minute, so if you have the time to sit on it and find that sucker...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

kronix posted:

Sure, just don't pay more than $500 for one. It's your first car, you're going to gently caress it up in ways you haven't even begun to imagine yet so make sure it isn't nice.

This is loving truth. Even if you don't think it applies to you, it applies to you. I didn't think it applied to me, and I ended up having to pay to fix the damage to the nice truck I bought. On a lesser scale, even a good 5 years after I got my license (so, with the learner's permit, over 7 years of driving), I nearly kicked myself again for almost the same thing: learning to drive a stickshift and letting it roll back, ever so slowly, into a light pole in a parking lot. No damage, but if I'd been another few inches forward, it would've been at least a scratch.

If this is your first car, you will do dumb poo poo, even if you think you're a responsible driver. Give it 2-3 years and get the car you really want, when 90% of your dumb poo poo quota is safely behind you.

EDIT: Your post is ambiguous. If you've been driving someone else's car, as in driving it regularly as you would your own, for the same period of time, this doesn't necessarily apply.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 7, 2011

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I can see the advantage of both the auto and the manual. I bought the manual, and even though it might be marginally slower, I don't mind because I don't plan to actually race it. The manual is, I think, more fun to drive for those of us who don't have stop-and-go commutes, and don't need the extra fractions of a second that the automatic transmission might get us.

I really, really don't understand why Ford didn't put paddle shifters on the auto, though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

optikalus posted:

The shifter in the 5.0 feels quite a bit like the shifter in the S2000. This is not a bad thing. The gates are so close together that you can't really hit in-between a gate, yet I've never mis-shifted (that wasn't caused by the skip-shift). If there is a problem with the transmission, it is due to the quality of the syncros within the transmission. Blaming it on the driver is a cop-out.

You sure can hit between gates -- I do it reasonably frequently when I'm being a lazy rear end in a top hat on 4->5 and I don't push the stick over enough.

I've never really had a problem with the transmission that wasn't my own fault -- like not selecting R or 2 fully enough and dealing with a horrible, horrible grinding as I release the clutch. I promise I'm sorry!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Part of the problem is that Americans always want more, more, more in terms of space. I drove in a Hyundai Accent taxi with two other people, all our luggage, and the taxi driver, on a one and a half hour airport transfer. Was it great? No, but it was sufficient. Likewise, I've seen five grown men fit in a Lada 2102 when the situation calls for it.

Large cars and cars with extra power are an extravagance, and even as a Mustang owner, I wouldn't particularly mind if I had to pay a bit extra for the privilege of having 300HP+ and a bit of extra space. Sadly, we simply have to be more concerned about efficiency, and those of us (myself included) who are essentially actively working against that should probably endure some sort of consequence for it. We already financially punish smokers and drinkers for their actions which have detrimental effects to society to a degree which I would definitely call far out of line, what should make car owners different?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

mungtor posted:

Where, if you don't mind my asking?

Also, has anybody here driven a new GT in the snow with proper snow tires, etc? I'm just curious how good the traction control works, etc. Not because I think I'd rely on it, but more because some TC is so terrible it's worse than having nothing at all (like the GTO).

Not the GT, but I've driven the 2011 V6 on snow and ice with proper tires, and it's just fine unless you're a moron with the throttle inputs. It's never taken control away from me when I want it, but it's always there if I have a brain fart. The clearance is obviously an issue depending on what conditions you plan to drive in, but if that's not a problem it's not too difficult to drive in the winter. I didn't even throw any extra weight in the trunk.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Presto posted:

Waddya mean? I drive mine all year.

Yep, me too. It's surprisingly good in the winter, all things considered.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

leyton house posted:

While I'm not doubting that it is, it might be wise to put something that nice away for the winter, due to the rust issues associated with the season.

If this were Quebec, maybe, but because of the chinook winds, we don't use nearly as much salt and roads are clear and dry most of the time anyway. Besides, I live in an apartment building with a shared garage; people track in so much poo poo on their cars that it gets filthy after a week of sitting anyway.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

Oh boy flashing lights and annoying radios that cost $2000 to fix 3 days beyond warranty. I want a value edition that gets rid of all that and replaces it with a supercharger at the same price. I would crank my own windows for a supercharger.

You have the value edition already: it's called "living in the US."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

OrganizedEntropy posted:

Car is officially finished. Took her out for a spin around the block, holy gently caress she is loud. The car sounds utterly badass; it's 0 degrees C here in Calgary and I was driving around with the windows open and a big grin on my face.

http://youtu.be/vvCFRRTTEnE?hd=1

That video is private, it says.

But I'm sure it was great.