Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Is there any word on factory packages in the pipe (bullitt, cobra, w/e)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ApathyGifted posted:

Well, for starters, the '10 did not have the 300 hp, 31 mpg v6 that everyone is beating off to. '11 is basically the first year anyone has ever been excited about a v6 Mustang.

Plus I think the '11 v6 has the same/better suspension than the '10 v8?

The '11 has an available performance package that gives it the 3.31 rear diff and suspension of the GT model, so that it has almost as much HP as the '10 GT, and the ride to match.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I want one too. :swoon:

edit: I think they were tuned a bit different from the standard GT, as well.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Absolutely true, but how short is first? I get the feeling 4.56 behind a stick would be very hard to launch without absolutely smoking the rears.

You'll get the hang of it eventually.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

frozenphil posted:

RPM is your friend with a modular engine and the gear just helps you get to your friend faster.

My friend's name is speed :buddy:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I've made a terrible mistake. A local dealership is offering the 2010 GT (no owners, new) for 10 grand off at 25k. It's a fully loaded model, and has essentially every feature I could want, to include manual transmission. I took it for a test drive, and all was well and good.

Then I made the mistake.

I test drove the 2011 5.0.

Goddamnit, it was in every way a better drive than the 2010, and the 2010 wasn't bad at all. This mistake is probably going to cost me ten thousand dollars :(

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

What about the 2011 V6? Should be close in price to the '10, and might drive like the 5.0.

That's an option, but no one has a manual v6 with the performance package for me to take for a spin. The 6-banger would definitely be cheaper to own in the long term, what with reduced fuel and insurance costs, and would drive nearly identically to a 5.0. It's just that no one has that particular configuration on the lot.

Plus there's the possibility that I'd always be wondering "what if" should I choose the v6 over the 5.0.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

One thing I noticed about the 5.0 I test-drove was that it did not have a front sway bar.

What's up with that? Is there some trim level that has them while others don't? I thought every 5.0 had a front sway.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

If you mean a strut tower brace, I don't think any of them do?

Huh. I wonder why the 2010 GT had it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Bandire posted:

I believe the strut tower brace is included with 19" wheel packages. Why the distinction I don't know, but that's what I've read.

That clears things up a lot. The 2010 was a higher trim level, and probably had the 19" rims.

Do you suppose that the brembo brake package (which includes 19" wheels) would also come with the front brace?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

BaronW posted:

So people who are ordering Mustangs, how does that work and what are you paying relative to invoice? Do you just walk in and say "hi, I'd like to order a mustang and I'll pay X, I have my own financing."

Around where I live (new orleans) Dealerships in the city seem to be charging invoice with no price break. Dealerships on the west bank and the north shore are giving a token price break (a few hundred dollars) just to try and win some business away from the lots in town.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PT6A posted:

Invoice or MSRP?

Sorry, I meant MSRP. They obviously weren't charging actual invoice prices.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Is it possible to get invoice (sub-invoice??) on a car you order from the factory?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

BaronW posted:

The dealer will still make money with holdover cash if they sell it at invoice but their job is to get as much money out of you as they can.

edit: So when you order a car, do you put money down up front?

My plan is to put up to 50% down. If my bank's rate is better than what the dealer can offer, then I'll finance through them and from the dealer's perspective I'll be putting down cash.

kronix posted:

I think even the brembos might do it in some markets, as they come with summer tires and let's face it, those are useless in the winter time in the Northern part of the country.

I live in New Orleans. Summer Tires are the only tires.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

What would the acceleration difference be between the different gearings?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

InitialDave posted:

While lower gearing should give you better acceleration, I guess you also have to consider where it'll put your shift points - for example, a 0-60 sprint is going to be hampered if you choose gearing that means you need to shift into third to do it.

Also, it depends where you want the acceleration. For example, I'd like gearing which would give me the maximum acceleration on a third gear run from 50mph, as that's the most common overtaking or joining-from-sliproad situation I find myself in.

and which gearing would that be?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

That's twice in a handful of posts I've seen the (pre-2011)v6 exemption. Are there a lot of meaningful gains to be made with the 2011 v6?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Fucknag posted:

Well, it's a whole new engine, for starters. DOHC, 4 valves, direct injection, Ti-VCT... it's easy to imagine that by sacrificing the 31 mpg figure you get stock, there are plenty of gains to be had.

What do you think would be more practical, turbos or supers?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Wrar posted:

Does the new 3.7 V6 have any relation to the 3.5TT Ecoboost?

According to wikipedia, yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cyclone_engine

With that said, there are some pretty large differences. Direct Injection is seemingly the most important one.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I just got a quote for 200 bucks over invoice on a special ordered 5.0 before manufacturer's incentives.

Dear god I want to pull the trigger on this so bad I can taste it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

How am I, a self-professed lover of LS1s and hater of the 4.6, the first to post the final press-embargo-lifted info on the Boss 302?

440hp, by the way - earlier rumors were 420-430.

crap. Depending on what the price is, this may have just delayed my purchase by a year. :(

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

kronix posted:

Personally the 30 or so horsepower isn't worth those ugly stickers. I think it might make a good garage queen but I wouldn't want to drive that around everyday. I must say though, those side pipes are absolutely insane.

It's not so much the horses as it is the suspension that interests me.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Muffinpox posted:

If you want 30 horsepower buy a GT and get a tune.

Did no one read the part where it said that most of the performance upgrades were in the suspension?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Q_res posted:

But what if you're buying it for the stickers? :ohdear:

The stickers are were the 30 extra horses are coming from, duh.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

My friend test drove one and really liked the sound. He was really bent on a new GTI before I forced him to look at a Mustang. That said, he didn't like the beige interior it had. I've never seen that color for the 2010+ models -- is it possible it looks much worse than the black interior?

You really need to have a dark colored paint job for the beige interior to look right.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

scapulataf posted:

Insert joke about ancient, oxcart suspension, 40 year old platform, lol uhmarikkkun car here.

I, too, get my opinions from a British car show.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

frozenphil posted:

247whp with the automatic, stock. That 260whp is with a canned tune. The SCT tuners usually run under $400.

That's a far cry from the quoted 305hp. How the hell do they get away with that?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CombatWombat posted:

Is the backup camera the little black circle on the back of the spoiler?

Yup.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

There's a 06 GT premium that I'm considering buying. It has a crapload of miles on it (like 120k) but looks to be in really good shape, and has one crucial feature I want (manual transmission).

How reliable is the Ford 4.6L v8? Should I run away screaming from it because it's going to blow up on me, or can I possibly expect another 100k+ miles out of it?

The asking price is right in the middle of what KBB.com says it should be for a vehicle of its mileage in excellent condition.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

So I took the 128k mile mustang to a mechanic to get it inspected. The only things of note were worn ball joints and some tie rods, which all sounds perfectly reasonable for a car of that mileage.

I may just go ahead and get it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I just pulled the trigger on the 06.

This is what it looks like:

Let me tell you about how I paid cash for it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Spoiler delete is an option on most mustangs. Most people don't go for it, but were I to order a new mustang, I would insist upon that. In fact, this car is very near my ideal purchase. The only things wrong with it are that it isn't a '12 Boss, and it's red. Other than that it has no graphics, no cosmetic body kits, is a hardtop, v8, manual transmission, and leather interior.

And when I say cash, I mean paid in full with a stainless steel lined briefcase during a tense standoff in an abandoned warehouse in the wrong side of town.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

To what extent is the MT-82 transmission (gently caress your automatics!) compatible with the 4.6L engine? Would it be a straight swap, an extensive modification job, or somewhere in between?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

KickStand posted:

76k on it right now. It has the t-3650 in it

I've got a t3650 with 127k on it. It runs fine, but I can feel... something, in 2nd gear. It's nothing definite, and I'm not really worried right now, but it's there, and it wasn't until I read up on that transmission just now that I even had an idea to be worried about it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

sw0cb posted:

If your going to put another manual in an S197, use a tremec 6060, you can buy it as a bolt in kit.

If??? I hope I never drive another autocraptic in my life.

One of the things I like about the Getrag is how smooth it shifts. It feels really nice, which is why I asked.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 15, 2011

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Killbot posted:

I remember someone posting a link in this thread to a Mustang tuner but I can't seem to find it. I would like to get a tune for my 2008 Bullitt but I'm currently overseas and wouldn't trust people here to do it. What are some reputable tuners who deal in email tunes?

You've got a bullitt overseas? I can't even imagine what that'd be like.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Fucknag posted:

Baby steps, let's get that rear end up to at least 80's technology levels first.

You pay a little too much attention to what a trio of British comedians have to say about car technology.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Skyssx posted:

Horrible troll is horrible.

A troll is when you say something to someone just to get a reaction out of them. What actually happened is technically called "lying" and with malicious intent.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Killbot posted:

People don't bitch about it because the LS engines offer huge power at low weight. Even people who raced Ford cars shoved LS engines into them. The Ford Modulars were quite the opposite until the Coyote.

Companies that stick to what works never get ahead. It's not a viable strategy unless you want to engineer and sell mediocre vehicles. Sure, they may be great today, but in 4 years? 10? If Ford is pushing technology in every other aspect of its cars, including engineering, I'd be surprised if they didn't go to IRS. Or those potential Mustang buyers will instead buy a Genesis Coupe. (People under 40 don't shop for "pony cars" these days, they shop for "sports cars" and they have and will cross-shop these two vehicles.)

About the lie: It's an SRA. You can't adjust rear camber without a torch, a large set of pliers, and some heavy gloves.

The Genesis? Really? Do you suppose that if you're after performance that the genesis coupe compares favorably to any Mustang at its inflated price point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

What'd interest me more is if ford went from a panhard to a watt's linkage for its rear axle, or at least made it a factory option.