Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Now if only Ford would give me the Boss engine and suspension in a Highland Green model without any body kits applied.

What is your profession, anyhow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The Leguna Seca is a factory race car. FOMOCO is gearing up for stock trans am series. You heard it here first.

Seriously though the only reason you'd want a Leguna is if you wanted a garage queen or wanted to participate in a factory stock series. It's way too much for anything approaching a daily driver.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Does Ford always roll out the next model year this early? I thought they did that in the summer.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

RockSmart posted:

If I only pay the original loan long enough to avoid any early-repayment fees, I should be alright... just don't know how long those fees last

I had a dealer tell me "3 payments".

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
What's the VIN on that 64 1/2 mustang?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Every time I look at the Boss 302, I realize it's probably a bad idea for a car that I will commute 25k miles a year in.

I still really, really want one.

Cars are meant to be driven.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I am grinding my teeth so hard right now irl.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Why yes, the sound of my exhaust note IS more important than your cell phone conversation.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'm partial to the abrasive crack of a cherry bomb myself. With a sufficiently large engine, even the simple act of starting the engine sounds like the ritual for awakening an angry volcano god.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

oRenj9 posted:

I'm interested to see how the V6 holds up to boost over time. If they do seem to hold up well and this kit is cheap enough, the sixer may just end up a better used deal than the GT, especially if the 2011 keeps up the historically terrible depreciation that has plagued the V6 in the past. Picking up one of these for $13k in three years and slapping on this charger with some suspension and 3.73s would make for a hell of a car.

(I hope this kit doesn't end up being $5k.)

It looks like the v6 mustang's drive shaft isn't up to the challenge of one of those superchargers.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Oxytocin posted:

That stick looks shorter than the Steeda Tri-Ax in my '07. How do you like it? On the rare occasion I've let someone drive my car it was the first thing they noticed.

They noticed they didn't like it

And they finally got around to putting the tach on the right side. Good job Ford. It only took you five years.

I can't answer for him, but I love the throws on the mustang 6-speed.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Cost-wise, which motor costs more, the Ecoboost V6, or the Coyote?

The ecoboost on the F-150 costs a few grand more than the 5.0 option.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

ssssss, this is gonna cause the same problem as the original SVO -- it costs more to make but you don't want to step on the GT's toes.

In the case of the F-150, the ecoboost puts out a slightly more HP and lot more torque than the 5.0 and gets slightly better fuel mileage. Nearly as much torque as the 6.2l option. If tuned for a mustang application, it should outperform the 5.0 in virtually every respect except maybe exhaust note.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CharlesM posted:

Maybe it's stupid but I honestly love the sound of a V8 vs a turbo V6...

By the way, I am just curious, is there an easy way externally to tell apart the 3.7L (2011+) from the 4.0L V6 models?

I believe that the 2010 has but one tail pipe and the 2011 has two.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Industrial posted:

This is what it is for me too honestly. When I was car shopping my contenders were a Mustang GT and a Genesis Coupe. There were a lot of things I preferred about the Genesis Coupe but I couldn't stop thinking about how the Mustang sounded and bought it a few days later. To this day there are few cars whose engine notes I prefer to mine.

My main reason for eventually dismissing the genesis coupe was that it seemed to be a poor value for the cost. In fact, that was my deciding factor when considering all of the Japanese/Korean sport models. That, and they absolutely do not believe in manual transmissions over there.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Rontalvos posted:

Posted in stupid questions thread to no avail, figured I'd try here.

My best friend has a 2001 V6 Ford Mustang and suddenly the airbag light is blinking an error code. It looks like 3 blinks, short pause, 3 blinks, then long pause. We're guessing this is a 33.

From poking around on the internet, there was mention of the airbag light being triggered by the battery being under 8 volts, which happened when his battery finally completely died, and then it was replaced a month ago. The light started appearing around that time and after he replaced the battery it's been intermittent.

I've found reference to code 33 being "passenger air bag - open circuit or high resistance" but I've found no info on what to do or how to troubleshoot this.

See if you can get someone to clear the code for you.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Lovely. What are the odds that the only way to clear it is to replace something that costs a few thousand dollars?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Fitret posted:

Yeah, I understand how they bundle in all of the fancy trim stuff with the meaningful upgrades, but I hate that you can't choose your seats :( Thanks for the info, though!

You can always get your seats reupholstered, and any dealership worth a crap will do it for you.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

Yo dawg

So is that a foxyote or a coyfox?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

frozenphil posted:

2012 Boss 302 runs 11.72 @ 117 right off the showroom floor with just drag radials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLmXeUflf4I

What are factory 5.0s getting with drag radials? 11.6?

kimbo305 posted:

My spamming has netted one dealer that claims they can order it, and isn't charging a markup. They're faxing me a sheet. It seems too slick to be true. At this point, I'm assuming it's just a ploy to get me in the office and sell me something else. Which would be infuriating.

If they try that, just leave. Don't comment, just walk out.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

mcmagic posted:

One more thing. Do any of you guys have black leather interiors? How hot does it get in the summer?

The 06 GT I just bought has a black leather interior. I'll let you know how it gets this summer (in Louisiana). Good god it'll probably suck. I hope the AC in a mustang is really good.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PT6A posted:

And yet my idiot friend who just moved to Houston and is looking for a convertible refuses to consider it based on the fact that it's American (he's American too, to be clear). What will it take for these hammerheads to start looking at Fords again?

Why try to convince him? It's not like his prejudices are hurting you any. In fact, you should be trying to convince him to buy something like an Eos or a Smart cabriolet. Let him have the car he deserves.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Unless ford gets a handle on this in an incredible hurry, the decision to source major build components through China is going to undo them.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Killbot posted:

Automatics look like crap in Mustangs :colbert:

Hopefully they'll fix this problem soon, and maybe with all the inflation going on in China companies like Ford and Getrag will think twice about doing joint-ventures there. It's not that Chinese firms can't make quality products (look at Apple), it's just that there are several issues involved in getting them to make quality products (time difference, subcontracting), and the savings companies realized maybe 5-10 years ago by doing things in China aren't as huge now. Wired had a nice article about it.

Apple, with the non-functioning antennas?

Or the fact that apparently the only way they can lubricate their factory is with the blood of their employees?

Man, gently caress China.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

So you're saying you want the transmission to be made in Mexico instead?

If the alternative is China? Absolutely.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Sigh.

It was a joke based on the fact that he spelled it manuel, instead of manual.

yes, yes yes, I know. I'm just really into shaking my fist pointlessly at manufacturing that's been outsourced to China. :argh:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

shodanjr_gr posted:

Tax return coming in! As soon as I'm back in the US I'm taking the pony in for a service then pulling the trigger on this:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-power-pack-v6.html

Any reason why I wouldn't wanna do that?

Have you considered stepping up to an '11-'12 v6 instead?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

frozenphil posted:

Revolution Automotive goes 10.99 @ 124mph with a naturally aspirated, bolt-on only 2011 5.0 Mustang GT. So bad rear end; these cars have huge potential.

http://youtu.be/ADx2kpL9dDA

I don't drag race, so forgive my ignorance. Bolt-on what, exactly?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lt. Jebus posted:

Test drove a drop top today. I am really interested in getting a new 5.0 convertible, but the dealership didn't have any 5.0s, hardtop or otherwise. They did have a slightly used 2011 V6 Auto.

Very impressed with the V6, less impressed with the Auto ( although looking at that news item it might be the reliable choice) . Wasn't really looking to flog it or anything, I was mostly just interested in NVH stuff having never owned a convertible. I came away pretty impressed and how solid it felt even with the top down, conversations were no problem, and the ride wasn't overly bad.

My tester didn't have the premium interior and I was a little disappointed with the fit and finish, but not too much considering the price... The only real fault was that I wasn't really impressed with the Shaker 500, it sounded hollow compared to the Bose system in my Caddy.

Now the real problem in that the dealership wasn't really all that interested in moving on the price, which for a well equipped V8 'vert came in at just under 50 grand Canadian. Maybe later this summer...

Good call. Always be willing to walk away. Always be willing to talk to another dealer.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I will never understand the "but but but but TRAFFIC" argument against a manual transmission. The worst thing about being stuck in heavy traffic with a manual gear box is the traffic, not the clutch.

You know, the exact same thing that is the worst thing about being stuck in traffic with an automatic transmission.

That excuse is the last refuge of the lazy.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

sanchez posted:

Sometimes it takes me 90 minutes to travel 15 miles (Woo, DC). Driving a stick is awful when the traffic is so slow it's below your creep along in 1st speed. The clutch is literally in/out/in/out constantly. Once you get above a steady 4-5mph and can just drive in 1st it's ok.

I take the train now.

I revisit my previous point that the worst thing about traffic like that is the traffic, not the clutch. When's the last time you said to yourself "This gridlock is GREAT! I'm having so much fun thanks to my automatic transmission!"

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Brain Issues posted:

When's the last time you were in gridlock traffic with a manual trans and you thought "WOW this gridlock traffic is so much fun with a manual because I just LOVE having to clutch in and out and go from neutral to first every 2 seconds I JUST LOVE IT, AUTOMATICS ARE SO INFERIOR IN THIS SITUATION".

Honestly I loving HATE automatics, but your argument is just stupid. Driving a manual in gridlocked traffic sucks much worse than driving an automatic in gridlocked traffic, period. All you gotta do is let your foot off the brake with an auto.. gently caress shifting into first just to move two feet and then have to do it all over again.

Your face is stupid. You're overstating how incredibly back breaking and unbearable it is to work a clutch.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Muffinpox posted:

Maybe you should buy a real car, corvettes are designed ground up to be convertibles so there's no extra weight or flex with one :smug:

I am none of the following: a 50 year old doctor/lawyer, or the trophy bride of one. Is the corvette the right car for me????

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Goddamnit, my 06 is doing the "acts like it's full when it's half full" gas tank thing. Does anyone have personal experience with this?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
In The Beginning, there was Lee Iacocca...

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

frozenphil posted:

Awesome choices, man!

Now go ahead and start saving up :thumbsup:

It's a shame those kits are for automatics only.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Man, the aftermarket just makes it really not worth it to buy a Boss, hunh? Sure it's comparing suspension parts vs +300 hp, but still.

You're getting a competition suspension, better brakes, a tougher differential, and forged internals for what, 8000 more than a base GT? That doesn't sound like a bad buy to me.

Now, if all you want to do is go in a straight line quickly, I guess yeah, the Boss 302 may not be the best purchase for the money.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

frozenphil posted:

Pretty sure TSBs aren't tied to warranty coverage. I know the '94/'95 head gasket issue was still covered well into 2003.

TSBs are not necessarily recalls. They're just updates on known maintenance issues. Don't go into a dealership with a printout of a TSB from teh internet demanding your pound of flesh, you won't get free service and you won't make many friends.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

kronix posted:

Are you serious? Yeah, they're not Recaros and if you want a 4 point they're not gonna work but they hold you in pretty well and they're super comfortable.

It's not a factory option, but at the very least the dealerships around where I live will put in seats for you on delivery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Lamarque Ford near where I live has a silver Boss 302 LS for MSRP.