Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

So after driving a Durango and 94 GMC pickup truck for the last EVER. I have decided to start looking at some new cars. Especially the mustangs. I have always been a camaro guy, but I am apparently too tall for it. I sat in one and my head was almost to the roof. I love the challengers, but they are so expensive for what they are.

Looking at a used 2009 Mustang https://usedcars.truecar.com/car/Ford-Mustang-2009/1ZVHT80N995137648

I know nothing about these cars. Looks to be a base model, and the price seems great to me. Especially with 45k miles. And it might have a working heater and A/C. I'm selling my 2 other cars for 4k total, so this mustang will only cost me about 10k or so.

Hoping this post is okay, just looking for opinions of the year/model/car.

I wouldn't buy it. It's being headlined as a GT but it's only a 6 cylinder. I wouldn't trust that seller if I asked them the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

roger wilco posted:

wait though -- pretty sure they only use the getrag mt82 in mustangs. They use a different getrag transmission in the Focus and Fusion. I don't know what they use in the standard transmission F150s...

My new mt82 is breaking in nicely, but I'm still strongly considering selling the car.

I don't think you can buy a manual F150 any more.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

thebigcow posted:

Is there anything to discourage bees from taking up residence in the honeycomb grill on my fake hood scoop? They haven't built a nest yet but it seems every time I fire it up at least one buzzes away.

Drive it daily?

dont use glue on fake body mods

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Fucknag posted:

Don't the SN95/New Edge models have fake scoops from the factory?

They do, but I don't think they're compulsory. Also, don't take everything I say seriously.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

mattwhoo posted:

Well for any of those folks still following along at home, Ford finally decided they would repurchase my 2012 CS Mustang GT. It only took being in the shop for 7 weeks... The hosed up part is I really want to get a Boss 302(because I cant think of anything better to spend 45 k on) and supercharge it. Someone please talk me out of this and tell me to buy a loving Prius or some poo poo.

Do you want to drive green or just be a smug poo poo?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SouthLAnd posted:

If you're in north America it will cost extremely less. I don't know about other markets.

Don't live in a market where displacement is taxed, kids.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
So my 06 GT just died. It started making a rattling noise, and then the engine killed. It cranks but won't start. Other than it sounds expensive, I know no other details.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

mechaet posted:

How metallic was the rattling noise?

If it sounded like a 20-man fight using forks, probably top-end.

If it sounded like people battling with metal piping, probably bottom.

My suspicions were correct. It DOES sound expensive.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It's definitely not a power issue, as the car cranks just fine. Did some diagnostics and found that the engine is no longer creating/reading oil pressure. Prior to the car breaking down there were no check oil lights and when I checked the oil right after the car broke down it was at the normal 'hot' level and I didn't see any metal flakes or glitter.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

So my 06 GT just died. It started making a rattling noise, and then the engine killed. It cranks but won't start. Other than it sounds expensive, I know no other details.

Intake valve :suicide:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tide posted:

Don't look at it as a repair. Look at it as a reason to upgrade

If by upgrade you mean purchase another vehicle, then yeah. The cost of getting someone to replace the engine on an 8 year old vehicle with 170k miles is really close to 100 percent of the value of my ride. I just don't have the tools or facilities to pull an engine. Or the liquidity.

Update: now I'm looking at a 2014 GT with a stick for 29k. Am I loving insane for considering this?

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 24, 2014

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Toymachine posted:

The KBB on the car with that milage is still $7,500. An engine would run you $2,500 with another 1.5 grand in labor or so. I see 05-09 GTs going for $11k-$15k around here. If you have some disposable income, I'd do an engine swap, sell it and use that for the down payment. Either way that sucks man.

Don't have the cash to pay for that kind of repair. Also, KBB says a car in its condition (only good, no better), trades in at about 5,800. The quotes I've gotten from a number of mechanics are in the 4k range. That doesn't seem like a good investment on a repair I'd have to get a loan to complete.

edit: vvvv Ehhh, it'd be a $4k jump from a 2014 GT to a 2015. I'm pretty happy with the price I've negotiated, but haven't closed on. I need to see what rate my bank will give me, because I do not trust the dealer's finance people.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 25, 2014

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Any sort of plan involving waiting on the next model year or waiting on selling a car with nothing more than parts value is pretty unrealistic as my outgoing car was my only mode of transportation and unless I want to blow hundreds a week on rentals, I need transportation before Monday.

More reasonable suggestions include: Getting less car. Getting used car. Making an offer to buy my 06 GT with a blown up engine. Making an offer to sell me your manual transmission mustang with less than 60k mileage.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tide posted:

Is there any reason you can't unload your '06 and pick up a $500 beater to drive for a while?

I drive 26 miles to work each way. I do not want to get stranded.

Just how fast do you think a dead mustang sells?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tide posted:

Pretty quickly, to be honest, if the price is right - though I suppose it depends on where you are.

You might be right about that! :v:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Looks like I'm going to close on two mustangs today. Selling my old 06 GT with the blown up engine, and buying a '14 v6 with the expensive tires and brakes package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SouthLAnd posted:

Nice. What color? I was chatting with a guy the other night that had one if those in that wicked green paint. I don't know what kind of exhaust he had, but it sounded amazing.

Henry Ford's favorite color. I'll post a pic later today.

edit: As promised here it is:

Its a base v6 with the technology and v6 performance packages, a rickety-pop, and spoiler delete. After incentives, I'm in it for a bit less than invoice.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 31, 2014