Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God
Just wrote a check for a 2011 GT Premium. Black/Black with 6 speed manual and 3.73 gears. I'll be picking it up tomorrow or friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God
Just picked up my Mustang from the dealer today. I have to say, I am really impressed with what this thing can do. The Microsoft Sync is actually a lot cooler than I thought it would be.

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God

kronix posted:

I think any premium level GT should have it but not the base.

I have a GT Premium (18") without it

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God

VibrioCholera posted:

With a 3.73 your 0-60 pull is still going to be done in second. This isn't a Cobra Jet. Ford isn't going to overgear its 6 cylinder. Again, different cars but really what people should see is the classic saying, don't fear the gear.

For what it's worth, my 2011 GT with 3.73 hits an indicated 60 mph right at the redline in second.

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God
Not sure about the v6, but the GT is governed to 155 mph

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God
A duffel bag full of small, unmarked, non-sequential bills

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God

Killbot posted:

I remember someone posting a link in this thread to a Mustang tuner but I can't seem to find it. I would like to get a tune for my 2008 Bullitt but I'm currently overseas and wouldn't trust people here to do it. What are some reputable tuners who deal in email tunes?

I had my tune done by Bama Tuning at American Muscle.

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God

frozenphil posted:

I'm having such a difficult time convincing myself that I don't need a BOSS because I don't road race. I've always wanted an original BOSS 302 and this new one is just calling to me so hard.

I mean, just look at it!

I think that's the first picture of the BOSS that I've seen where the stripes and empty foglight spaces on the grill don't make it look cheesy.

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God
The white's actually not bad, either. Maybe it's just the black ones I don't like. I bought a black 5.0 last summer, and I wish I had bought any other color.

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God
Apparently there will be a TSB for the clutch and shifting problems on the '11. Looks like I'll be geting a new clutch soon.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55642

quote:

I just got a call from Customer Care regarding my request for a buy-back or replacement. The request was denied.

Kudos to my Customer Care Rep for spending a significant amount of time looking into this. She admitted to me that she (SF Bay area) and Ford (US/Canada/Mexico) are now seeing a rash of 2011 Mustangs showing up at dealers with all of the problems we're experiencing. The Ford Tech Hotline informed her that this is no longer affecting a small number of vehicles. Rather, the clutch engagement, notchy/grinding shifting, and inability to shift into gear (not related to skip-shift) have now become regular, known, wide-spread issues affecting 2011 MT82 vehicles to varying degrees.

According to Customer Care and the Tech Hotline:
Ford now has a fix for the problem. The source of the problem is not the transmission, fluid, shifter, or shifter bushing. Ford has identified the 2011 CLUTCH ASSEMBLY as the source of the problem.

A problematic clutch assembly (which in our cars consists of the clutch plate, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, and pilot bearing) would explain the main issues described here including notchy shifting, grinding, unable to engage a gear (not related to the skip shift) and inconsistent clutch engagement. They also confirmed that despite what the owners manual lists, the correct fluid for these transmissions is, in fact, the thicker QS... NOT QDC. They did, in fact, test QDC in a number of cars (including mine) but this ending up being a temporary band-aid... and a negative affect is whining from the transmission.

Customer Care in SF has a meeting that includes the tech hotline and my Rep has committed to contacting me next week with a timeline for roll-out of the fix. She ALWAYS follows up with me.

To anyone out there contemplating changing fluids, adding friction modifier, and spending $$$ on shift kits and bushings in an attempt to fix shifting issues, I would recommend waiting until next week. I'll let you know as soon as I hear from Customer Care with a timeline. It would make perfect sense that, depending on how bad an owner's clutch is, a change to a lighter fluid may help. But based on my brand new transmission running QDC, the results are short lived.

This solution would also explain why our Russian friend, who installed an expensive after-market clutch, has reported his problems gone and he is running QS with no shifter modifications at last check. It would also explain why I'm on my 3rd clutch assembly... all the same part numbers... and it did nothing to improve engagement or shifting.

So to reiterate, it appears Ford is preparing to issue a fix that would involve installing an entirely new clutch assembly.

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God

frozenphil posted:

I doubt it would hurt anything other than fuel consumption and possibly your cats, but who runs cats anyway? ;)
There's no performance gain to your idle horsepower, if that's what you're asking. Once you get past 1k RPMs the tune profile just transitions to a normal profile. It's basically just to make your car sound like it has big cams at idle. A lot of people, including myself, love that lopey sound.

That sounds badass. Some of us have to run cats because of emissions testing.

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

I think this applies to this thread:
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=8012391

I looked at the pics then read the article fully expecting the driver to be dead.

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God
I got mine for 2k off sticker, which was pretty good as no dealers here were willing to move much off of sticker for the 2011's last spring.

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I think someone at Sirius hosed up, because my free subscription was supposed to run out like 3 weeks ago and I still get service in my car. I am definitely not calling to let them know, nor am I renewing, since I only drive it 1-2 times a month, but as long as they give it to me for free, I'll use it. When it runs out, there's always the USB/aux jacks in the center console.

I had the same thing happen. My 6 month subscription was supposed to run out in January, but when I got my car out of storage a few weeks ago it still worked. Until after about 8 hours of driving the screen flashed "SUBSCRIPTION UPDATING" and it got shut off. Oh well, I liked Sirius. Just not sure if I liked it enough to pay for it.

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God
Now that car show season is almost upon us, I'd like to wash out the engine bay on my 5.0. What should I cover up and what should I avoid spraying?

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God

Presto posted:

Guy at the apartment complex I used to live at had a lowered Cobra. He was fine until the day they put in speed bumps. I happened to follow him in one day and saw how he did it. He had to creeeeep up to the bump at about a 45 degree angle and then ease the car ever so gently over it one wheel at a time.

And then apparently race like a motherfucker to the next one to make up for lost time. Repeat.

I used to have a Camaro with ground effects. I had to go into parking lots at a 45 degree angle, too. Fortunately the only speed bumps we have around here are potholes.

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God

Number_6 posted:

I like the automatic on my '11 5.0, except, it's programmed for soft granny shifts. Mine doesn't even chirp 2nd. And the 3.15 gearing feels a little taller than I'd like. I gotta get a tune on it.

A tune will definitely improve your shifts. I have the manual (3600 miles and no problems so far) and depending on the road surface, I can chirp the tires shifting into 4th.

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God

optikalus posted:

What gearing do you have that you can chirp into 4th?! Mine with the 3.31s is already exceeding the highest speed limits in America before I'm in 3rd gear.

I have 3.73 gears. I can't chirp going into 4th consistently, but on types of pavement that offer less traction than others I can do it about 75% of the time.

In first at WOT my tires will spin above 4k, and I can chirp the tires shifting into 2nd and 3rd 100% of the time.

ninja edit: Mods are Airaid CAI & Bama 93 race tune.

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God

Angry Grimace posted:

As far as I can tell, the "Broken" transmissions are an extreme minority of cars and that the "hundreds" of complaints are just the same guys complaining 100 times. I've never had a tranny that was entirely smooth from gear 1-5, and the old outgoing Tremec wasn't free of notchy shifts or bad cold weather shifting either.

It's really hard to tell what's a legitimate problem and what's just a lot of noise when it comes to internet discussions; there's a lot of people out there saying the MT82 is one of the best and smoothest sticks they've ever used, its just that nobody is listening to them. Didn't they resolve this problem on the 2012 Mustangs too?

I have 3600 miles on my MT82 and haven't had any problems whatsoever. Although the 1-2 shift can occasionally be a little notchy, most of the time everything seems to shift ok.

Then again this is the first manual car I've ever owned, so I know gently caress all about what a good shifting transmission is supposed to feel like.

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God
Got my car back from the paint shop today:

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God

CombatWombat posted:

What's visibility out the rear window like with those louvres?

Absolutely horrible. I'm considering removing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God

kimbo305 posted:

Are they solid or at least translucent? The parts near the C-pillars don't look flared nearly enough to be usable.

No, they're really not usable at all. They are solid.