Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

deoju posted:

After keeping the box in my closet for a while,I felt like the time was right to build my Statue of Liberty.

I had to modify her back foot though...

:patriot:

Lmao great idea, I’ve ordered it on a whim during Tuesday after the VW beetle (and batwing and bus and razor crest, I had a lot of pent up Lego energy) and am finishing it today. Gotta see if I have a leftover orange stud somewhere as well.

My first thought after looking at the scale flame on the packaging was: huh, is that Trump’s hair?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

That could make a neat cat bed except they’ll probably knead it to shreds.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Not that expensive though. Didn’t people expect it to be a grand or so? Not having a scale Fiat in there is a missed opportunity though, the one they have is a tad too big. :v:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Idk when building the Statue of Liberty it felt pretty relaxing to keep doing the same poo poo over and over. I’d still get the falcon first over the stadium though both take similar amounts of space to display I guess.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Wait the coliseum DOES have cars lol

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

Oh I thought you were just saying they were too big lol.

No, I was joking and only understood your post after I checked out the pictures closer :v: That rules but I just don’t have the space. And money after I blow it on the Ecto and the Batmobile. I was lukewarm on the Ecto but assembling the Statue of Liberty did tickle something. I haven’t even built the batwing and the camper yet, never thought I’d have a loving Lego backlog.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Can you use the store points for anything? So far it only seems to be for Legoland tickets.

They’re probably not gonna go on sale but I wanna wait on buying the Ecto/Batmobile just in case they have some sort of cool freebie next weekend.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

You can use points for discounts. 10k points is 100$. (You can also do 5/20/50 - the points are linear.)

https://www.lego.com/en-ca/vip/rewards-center/rewards

Huh, thanks! For some reason it didn’t show that last time I checked. Now I’m finding it on the German store too. Neat.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Hopper posted:

That's why I buy now, the GF is a bookworm and she loves the Dickens Christmas GWP they give this weekend. She already has the Hans Christian Andersen book one from 2(?) years ago.

Yeah I snapped and bought the Batmobile & Lunar Lander because hey free double points. Hope they don’t release something super cool next week :v:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Hopper posted:

Wow you must have spent like 500+€ on Lego in 4 weeks didn't you say you bought some other big sets recently?
Be careful, Lego is one hell of a drug.

That’s a very optimistic estimate but yeah, I got the camper, the bug, the Statue of Liberty, the Batwing and the Razor Crest is on back order, so that’s like 550 at least, yep. I only didn’t get the Ecto because it was on back order, basically talked myself off that fence.

I’m saving the batwing, haven’t built it yet. Wanna binge all the movies and build the mobile and wing alongside over the holidays :q:

Knowing my luck they’ll probably do the Adam West Batmobile for Black Friday :v:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I one-piled the bug (thanks Hopper!) then did the Statue of Liberty bag by bag. It was kinda funny when I got mad a lot of parts were missing and started writing them down but then realized there was another bag of that number left. Oops.

I then went back to one-piling the camper, and it’s just so much better because it really makes the end seem like a huge relief because the pile suddenly is so small and you finally find a use for all those parts you fiddled with but mistook all along.

I may one-pile & sort by size for one of my next sets, that sounds fun as hell too.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I just one piled the teal brick. :v:

Neat. Gotta look into how to make it a box for putting things into, it’s hollow. Right now it’s kind of a mess to open but doable.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

You could buy a lot of star destroyers and sorta reenact the end of the last Star Wars I guess. Or make a ton of orphanages happy

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I sandwiched it between two vehicle builds and I think it was a fun change of pace/technique plus it looks pretty good! I liked the internal thing holding base and statue together, that looked neat.

I’m now halfway through the moon lander and that one is unexpectedly educational and detailed. They keep explaining small tidbits about the lander throughout it, I’m learning a lot. Nice!

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Called it!

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

All Creators Adore Bricks

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I decided to not one-bag the Batmobile because I thought it'd make things easier and now I've had two pieces turn up in different bags (at least I hope I won't be needing them from the other bags) and now I'm again missing two more pieces. Is this normal? Two big pieces seemed to be from a "special" bag for big pieces but the other missing pieces so far are regular small bits. Actually it's three, I had one leftover from the first bag which I used up in the second bag's building.

I'm supposed to be on bag 2 but I've already torn up bags that are supposed to come later :thunk:

e: nevermind I hosed it up and did one building step twice instead of once. I'm dumb

Zwille fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Dec 16, 2020

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

I love how this is the answer to most lego building ailments 99.9% of the time

I skipped the one bagging this time because I thought it’d help with „is this piece missing or am I dumb“ and the only difference is that it happens in a more rapid fire fashion. Win-win!

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I’m finally putting together the Batwing and the random little plates with the Batman logo that you don’t even see anymore when the step is finished are a funny touch. I wonder what the significance of the pink heart shaped plates is, though?

I watched the Burton Batmans again to see how they held up (they sorta did and I’m again surprised how much more depth Returns has compared to the first one) and I’m surprised how tiny the vehicles look compared to their Lego counterparts. Yeah they’re far from minifig scaled but the Batmobile felt like it’s supposed to be 20 meters long. In the movie it’s like five to six meters max. Not that I‘m complaining, I love it.

Fun builds even though I hate how hard it is to get to the steering wheel with the Batmobile but I’m glad they made those movable instead of stiff like with the Beetle and camper. Buddy of mine who isn‘t even into Lego went straight for the wheel and gave it a twist when he first saw the Beetle built together :v:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. Looking at the film model now it seems it’s kind of too small and should’ve been bigger, it’s kinda ruined the film for me come to think of it because the film mode looks so tiny and toy-like now. It’s fascinating how this works.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Finished the Batwing, what a great build. Like with the Batmobile I was kinda thinking "meh, all black, stupid decision" and that poster being skeptical a couple pages back sorta confirmed this but as I built it it kept getting bigger and more detailed. With the Batwing it took a little longer for it to really "click" but I think I may like it just as much or more than the Batmobile. At first I was confused about the crowbars in the BatEngine ™ but once you finish it they tell you they're to remove the seat so you can wall-mount it It's really neat also the target computer has a minifig outiline, lots of neat little details. veni veni veni was right, they kinda design these around the cockpit. Having the Batmobile in another room and building the Batwing at my desk I kept thinking the Batmobile is bigger, like bigger scaled (even though the seats are the same, the Batwing is just a 1-seater) but as I put them next to each other they compliment each other pretty well. A1 purchase, fun build.

(sorry, haven't quite figured out where to put them just yet so this'll have to do)

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I dunno about „smaller“ but that looks kickass already. Would buy.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks! I may just have most of the pieces leftover albeit probably the wrong colors. :v:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

The Oldtimer is neat and almost the same scale as the yellow cab and I’ll agree the surfboards are reaaaaaally loosely attached, like look at it wrong and it’ll fall off. Guess I’ll try the pickup mod I saw floating around or see if I got some pieces leftover to cover the studs when I take the surfboards off.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I, too, snapped after a friend egged me on and after I narrowly missed buying the bookshop (got the available notification, put it in my basket with the fire fighter chopper, hesitated a couple hours and it was sold out again) I was hankering for something and got me Barracuda Bay by January 27. Welp. Now trying to talk him into getting the colosseum as revenge :v:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

That sort of stuff blows my mind, I keep thinking Lego getting Star Wars was pretty recent like 2010 at most.

Barracuda Bay arrived, I’m overjoyed it’ll have a skeleton. Also they packed an ice rink even though it wasn’t on the order along with the free fire chopper. Neat! Gonna start building it together with a buddy over Zoom who’s got the flowers on his end.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

xzzy posted:

Any color but white though. :negative:

Yeah I’m sort of on the fence because it’ll fit neatly with the bus and the bug (wonder if you can switch engines like with the real cars lol) and the color is one reason I’m probably not gonna get it.

Shame they’re not doing a mini version of it as a GWP tho.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah that’s partially why I’m warming up to it a little now. The bus is red, the bug is blue, black is boring... dark green maybe? Yeah white is okay. Probably gonna sleep on it because I don’t care about this GWP like at all.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Lmao I decided I’d use an old hole in the wall and hang up the batwing and not only did I put the holder thing in upside down, I also put it in the wrong way around so you can’t put the tile plate back on. :allears::shepicide:

E: the tile plate has slid into the foot room of the cockpit and the crowbars won’t stay in the bat engine compartment now. Welp, guess I’ll keep looking for a nice place to put it on the stand.

Zwille fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Feb 2, 2021

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

GlenMR posted:

I feel like you need some pretty heavy duty hooks to do the wall mount anyway. I built it on the weekend too, and am still really surprised by the weight and sturdiness of the thing.

It seemed pretty stable with a relatively short screw. No hook needed really, just a screw. You obviously wouldn’t wanna hang it on drywall yeah.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

That’s neat as hell!

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Starry night looks neat. Not my cup of tea but if they have an ear as a GWP I’m in.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I was lukewarm on it as it got announced and sorta warmed up, got hyped and now I took another look and I’m lukewarm again lol. The GWP is lame too. I guess it feels a tad blocky? I’ll probably be hyped up again by midnight and get it though. I’m getting the minifig scale one as well so maybe the pull is having a small and a big car side by side.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Hopper posted:

Okay looks like I am wrong then. Maybe my perception is different because in Germany and especially Munich you see those cars every day (not exactly 911s but Porsches) vs Mustangs which are rare.
And for the US it is likely the other way around.

Munich is by far the German city with the most fancy cars on display at any given time so your perception may be a little skewed :v:

I see a lot of Cayennes or whatever the SUV abomination Porsches are in Berlin though.

(Although yesterday a black sportsy Porsche parked outside my home lol)

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah I predictably caved and got it. Am somewhat hyped as the speed champions scaled one I ordered along with it arrives tomorrow already. If Lego can’t do the GWP right I guess I gotta do it myself :colbert:

I figured it completes the beetle and camper pretty well, so why not. I’ve taken a liking to the color now.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I don’t have any but I’m told they do!

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I‘m halfway through building the new Porsche and it’s pretty sweet, feels a lot sturdier than the VW cars already. I don’t regret this in the least.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Ha, i was kinda hoping it’d be the same scale as the beetle or bus, but seeing as those aren’t really the same scale either I guess it doesn’t matter. :v:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yep a super lame box of postcards and a credit card wallet. I just put the box behind the Porsche, it kinda looks ok as a backdrop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Just wanted to chime in that Carbohydrate's Mustang builds made me finally buy the Creator Mustang even though I already have the Ecto-1 in the mail. Speaking of the Ecto, it's €200 at Lego but I found it for €165 and a week after, prices went to €155 and today €145. What's the deal with that? I can live with not having the best bargain but this seems weird. Different retailers, probably actively undercutting offers but it's weird.