Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Now here's a build setup!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYLMCepxNkU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Megadace posted:

"Is this why 9/11 happened, is this what politics does?"
"I guess so, maybe things got too big for us to handle"
"Do things get too big for the government to handle?"
"I hope we're not alive to find out, it didn't turn out well for the LEGO city citizens."

This is beautiful. :911:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Friar Zucchini posted:

What does MOC mean?

My Own Creation. Basically anything that isn't an official set.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Hey friends! Been a while since I posted anything here, so uh, let's fix that:

DS-5038 Transient Slipstream

Dagger-chassis Vanguard

They're both sample game pieces for a little boardgame project I'm working on, but in the process I think I've become somewhat enamored with building in micro.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Sockser posted:

As expected, Chima owns

Rollin' in a monster truck shaped like your own face while a bird man attacks you while dual wielding a golden power axe and some kind of magic crystal :catdrugs:
This is so gloriously insane, I can't imagine the kind of person who would dislike this theme.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Oh man, the triumphant return of the western theme. I've been waiting for this for a really long time.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

AzMiLion posted:

:siren:LEGOONS bi-Weekly Build-off!:siren:

I haven't been building as much as I'd like, so I need an excuse. In like Flynn.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
'Sup bi-weekly build buddies. Have some Formula Robo, which is something I just made up.

Basically someone put legs on a Formula One chassis and said "this is a good idea!"

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Yep, just regular ol' LDD with some quick inking done in Flash.

The Muffinlord posted:

I want to see that thing stand up. Maybe you should put some brakes/stands on the backsides of the legs?

But one of the best things about LDD is that you don't have to bother with things like "physics!" If I ever make more FR racers, I'll probably start making more concessions to reality though.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Luminaflare posted:

Ah, would you mind posting some shots of the back of it? I'm really curious as to how it's built.

Here, I'll do you one better. Anyone who wants to roll their own, feel free to grab that LXF and go bonkers.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

I like it! Especially that offset rear section, gives it a lot of character.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

MaliciousOnion posted:

Just whipped this up, trying to use as few elements as possible. Managed to get away with 14.

All you need is some glowing lines and you've got a TRON quadbike.

This owns greatly. Those goggles make him look so enthusiastic!

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

FadingChord posted:

Personally, I'd vote for Wild West and Mecha, but only if they're combined into Wild West Mechas.

This sums up my vote nicely I think.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

AzMiLion posted:

A bit less participation this time wich is a bit of a shame, but eh. let's hope
for better results next time!

Son of a bitch! I totally forgot about this :doh:
Ah well, since the next theme is space, I can at least make up for it in volume.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Buildoff time! This time I decided to make a small command/service module type craft, which could dock to a series of specialized modules in order to fulfill certain mission roles.

For cargo hauling and EWAR purposes, we've got the "Brise"

For general exploration, we've got the workhorse "Soleil"

And for long-range combat, we've got the "Tempête"

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
So apparently I work in cycles because there seems to be a recurring thing going on where I stop building things for six months at a time, then realize that I still like doing Lego stuff.

I ended up doing two last-minute Vipers for Nnovvember; the Virago, which can transform into a cute little think tank, and the ZIG Mk.2, a somewhat extensive overhaul of my previous attempt at Zero Wing's hero ship.

I also finished up two incomplete projects in my on-off project to reinterpret a bunch of spaceships from Freelancer, in this case, the Cavalier light fighter and the Defender heavy fighter.

Beyond just building stuff, one of the things I've been trying to focus on for a while is presentation. Don't get me wrong, I love LDD more than probably a lot of dudes, but I keep seeing a lot of otherwise stellar builds washed out in the background noise of everything else because the default render output is just so goddamn bland. Even the POVRAY renders that I've seen cropping up more and more still lack that je ne sais quoi, so here's my attempt at making virtual building bricks stand out a bit more from the crowd.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

riversarl posted:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tormentalous/11599705254/in/photostream/

Complete with Unikitty Astrokitty! What a love letter to Classic Space.

Those colors! That helmet! Bought on fuckin' sight.

fake edit: the chinstrap is pre-cracked :allears:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Faffing about in LDD with some very rough sketches led to these two doodles.

This is the first time I've "cheated" by using extended mode to get nonexistent part/color combos, but I couldn't say no to all that dark blue. They're both "maybefig" scale, in that they're conceivably scaled for minifigs but I just couldn't be bothered to engineer space for more than just their heads.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
So this showed up in my flickr feed (probably :nws:).

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Captain Invictus posted:

I think Mega Bloks has the Mario license, don't they?

It's actually K'Nex of all things.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Mr. Glass posted:

That piece is probably going to shoot up in value after the set gets discontinued -- I can't imagine them using it in any other sets, unless there's some recent trans-yellow theme that I can't remember.

Atlantis 2011 had a couple, for a given value of "recent."

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Oh my goodness, look who makes a cameo in the Secret Police dropship set! :swoon:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I'm new to rediscovering my childhood hobby. I've poked around some of the links you guys have posted, like Brickforge, bricklink and brickipedia, but is there a site dedicated to LDD designs or "new" designs? I'd like to see what people have pulled from the movie (that isn't already a set).

There's a flickr group called The Lego Exchange specifically for sharing .LXF files, you might want to take a look. There's quite a lot of neat builds being shared.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

It looks great but someone explain to me why it has barrel arms.

It's a stripped-down, very simplified version of the original:

Part of that I assume is making the joints more secure by using balljoints instead of the more... esoteric design on Pete's original.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Optimist Prime posted:

Here's a side-by-side comparison:

Certain aspects of the production model (e.g., most of the joints) have been simplified -- and there's some creative license w/r/t the detailing -- but it's still a quantum leap from Lego's previous mechs. (In some ways, the Ideas version actually looks better, thanks to the addition of those trans-yellow and dark gray elements.)

Yeah, I did always think the original, while neat conceptually, was way too dull. A little bit of extra contrast goes a long way (though it may also just be simple pragmatism since I don't think those balljoints come in light bley anyway :ssh:).

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Captain Invictus posted:

The thing about the blue technic pins is they are extremely strong compared to other technic pins in different colors. I'm not sure if it helps the structural integrity of the model, but they're certainly more useful than light grey pins which are the floppiest floppers ever.

Blue and black are specifically friction pins, while light bley is specifically for spinning elements like wheels. They're color-coded to avoid guesswork in technic builds I suppose.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Are you reading my dream diary, TLG?

('course they had to pick the season after they dropped Vodafone as a sponsor and made their livery boring as gently caress but whatever)

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Taking SNOT to its logical conclusion... by making the studs face down instead.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
It's been far too long:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Bricknerd interviewed me for an article! Ted reached out to me because of this airship in particular, which was like the first real build I've done in over a year:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Built a Caliban for a Lancer game I'm playing in:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Had our first Lancer session last Saturday, so we needed to be in Everests as LL0 peasants; Hawkbit is mine and I built the Devilish as a favor to my friend Magistelle: