Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'd buy the poo poo out of that one Sherman tank if it was a set. There is not nearly enough lego tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

smackfu posted:

I don't even understand what this free Bionicle Hero pack is. Two masks and some spider legs and some stickers??

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Hero-Pack-5002941?s=6106042

That map just reminded me of the stuff that came before bionicale. They sort of had masks too, but their primary gimmick was disks. It had a lot of similar ball joint pieces, there was even some quasi-lore stuff and maps with which region each dude came from. I think they could also transform, and the best part was certain sets rebuilt together into bigger things.

I've been resisting the temptation to get back into lego lately. Thankfully none of the sets available at my local walmart interest me, but man I am I tempted to buy that technical cargo plane straight from the website.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oh poo poo, I think I had kind of both of those things in mind.

Apparently they also went by "Slizer"

The silly themed planet idea seems a popular one.

I totally forgot they had goofy plastic cases too.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Picked up two sets this weekend: A B-Wing which was on sale - quite a fun build I even got one of those fancy new brick separators (which would have been nice about a week earlier when I was putting together a bunch of old sets I had in storage) - and that big-rear end Technic Cargo plane. I forgot how fun these big technic sets can be to put together. Only real complaints are how many drat stickers the set had and how the battery box takes 6 AAs and I don't see a way to get it out to remove/put batteries in without disassembling a part of the plane.

Now to resist the urge to buy one of those red-five X-Wings.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

I wonder how it scans the builds. Is there a serial code on the stand or something?

Because I could see people just building stuff out of their own stock and getting "free" DLC in the game.

It doesn't. Or at least I'm pretty sure the builds are purely cosmetic/for fun. The stands are what determine gets loaded in the game.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm still sad I missed out on the defender they released a few years back. Wonder if we'll ever see another now that EU got canned.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I had to search the warp wing fighter because I wasn't familiar with it - I was just thinking about that UFO series the other day. Hell, I might have had one of those fighters, I know I had a bunch of sets from that series.

Speaking of which, there's no active space theme right now, is there? :(

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Lego's policy to avoid more weapony-stuff means there's a fair lack of lego-tanks, which has tempted me to buy megablocks on several occasions, but I still haven't because I remember how terrible the brick quality was as a kid. I had this megablocks racetrack set that came with these moteized car bases, which actually were a lot of fun to use with my lego, but all the megablocks bricks themselves sucked when mixed with lego.

On the subject of tanks, I'm super sad I missed out on this set - that hovertank was the main vehicle in some gamecube clone wars game I played, and thought was the total bomb.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Just ordered an A-Wing and V-Wing from walmart's website since they appeared to be retired on lego's site and no longer on TRU's site either. I really aughta curb this lego binge, I'm running out of places to put the dang things.

Speaking of retired sets- I had a silly dream the other day that I was at the store and Lego had a new series/theme that was basically re-prints of old favorites. Kinda surprised they've never done something like that.

Anyone have that one (or many) set that they missed out on? There's a plethora of sets I remember looking at longingly in the catalogs and stuff as a kid, but the Tie Defender is the one set that I had money for but just never picked up.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

I honestly don't see the appeal of the Death Star. I just don't think the build looks very cool and the price is asinine. One of the only big Star Wars sets I don't really have any interest in.

I'm in a similar boat, never cared for any of the Death Star Models. Similar feelings towards any of the "diorama" style sets. Can't swoosh a cantina.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dogen posted:

That is the boat I am in.

I do hope they go back and UCS the Y Wing and A Wing. I'd like a TIE Interceptor but I don't know what the odds are that they would do another one.

They have done A UCS Y-Wing

anotherblownsave posted:

A UCS snow speeder would prompt me to empty my bank account

and Snow-Speeder but they're both ancient at this point, so who knows.

Speaking of doing another one - I hope they do some more Ties - they've only ever done one Tie Bomber and Interceptor both before they got more serious with accuracy.

E: Are there good sites to find recently retired sets without crazy markup? Or I am only really going to be able to find overprinted/sets people didn't like for msrp? There was a regular tie fighter from 2012 on amazon and it's going for more then the UCS Tie Fighter :v:

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 6, 2015

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

I'd take that price with a grain of salt. Amazon is nothing but price gougers asking 4x the price for retired sets as far as I can tell.

No doubt - that's sort of what I was getting at. Amazon only seems to have gougers. I've found a few older sets for retail price on a local store's website, and as I mentioned a page or so ago managed to get a V-Wing and A-Wing for retail from walmart.ca - and was wondering if there was any other sites to look for with "old stock."

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

^^^^i dunno but I checked the wal mart site a few minutes after you posted that and there were no more a wings. You must have got the last one. I need one of those haha.

I decided to check the tie fighter price on eBay out of curiousity ,and ran into a dude selling a bunch of the new tie advanced for $20 bux shipped. I couldn't resist grabbing one. They are all missing 2 mini figs but come with the bagged ship and pilot.

Seller is called sunwestcollectables if anyone else wants one. Seemed like a really good deal despite the missing figs.

Being a canadian, I got it from walmart.ca which should still have some. No idea if they ship to the states.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Attempting to sort my old lego, please send help. (I have a whole nother box like the purple one to go through after)

I had/inherited a whole lot more sets then I remembered.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 9, 2015

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

I'm doing the same with a massive tub of tiny detail pieces right now and all I can say is do it in half hour chunks for your own sanity.It'll be done when it's done.

Yeah, so far I've just been dividing into major groups, plates, bricks, technic, slopes, wheels, weird rear end parts/sort it later, and lovely megablocks banishment zone. Already realizing I probably need more boxes, and not looking forward to sorting out the little detail parts.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sweet, managed to get my hands on the Jedi Fighter from 2012 and the Ghostbusters car for retail price. Haven't built either yet but I have to say I'm impressed with how the Ghostbusters stuff was packaged. Box was a little nicer and flips open, with a far nicer build manual. Also, it doesn't look like there's any stickers, so thank god for that.

Also, it's the lamest thing, but I kind of want to buy a set I don't think I like that much just because it has a minifig I kinda want and figure will probably stop showing up.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, I kinda like the 6211 Star Destroyer - I mean, when I was much younger when I picked it up and I never had the money/chance to buy the UCS one but it's still a pretty nice build. I think I like the design of the turrets on the new one much, much more, to the point I'm almost tempted to get one, but then I realize I have nowhere to put it.

I like that they put the silly mouse droid in both versions though.

e: Although the engines on the 6211 are way cooler.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 15, 2015

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Just finished the Ecto-1, was a really fun build, the side windows are done pretty cleverly, overall a nice change of pace from all the star fighters I've been building. Although the proton packs were a huge pain the in the dick because it was like 10 steps of tiny pieces from un-numbered bags followed by a "do it again 3 more times."

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Welp, Walmart had some Simpsons minifigs so I figured I'd grab some. Didn't really bother/know what to look for with a feel test so I grabbed 10, only ended up with duplicates of Homer and Milhouse, so that seems good.

Also, what does the VIP points stuff on the lego site get you? I'm still eyeballing the Red 5 for awhile, but I've heard I might want to wait till they do a double VIP points event or something?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What do the points do? And how often do they have double points events?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, I'm pretty glad there isn't really any summer sets that call out to me with how much I've spent in the past few months. Slightly tempted to get the shuttle, I certainly like that design more the shuttle that's sitting on my shelf.

Looking at brickset's list of sets, there's apparently 8 more unannounced starwars sets (one being a sith infiltrator? I've never got the appeal of that ship, its kind of just boring grey blob) for this year? Is that a fall/winter line? When do they typically unveil stuff?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I've been trying to re-assemble the Warp Wing Fighter as I sort through all my old lego, I just pulled up an parts inventory and been putting parts aside as I sort the rest. Although quite frustratingly I think I misplaced a piece - it's like a little rocket nozzle/exhaust with fins, about the size of one of those 1x1 can pieces. I'm almost certain I found both of them at some point while sorting, but before I was setting stuff aside for the fighter, but when I doubled back through my sort, I only found one of them.

It doesn't help that I have like 3 bins of "oh god I have no idea how to sort this crap."

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

So about a month or so ago, I pondered getting a Red 5, but passed because it felt like a lot to spend. Since then, I think I've spent a few hundred on StarWars sets, and 75$ on 4 Speed Champions sets. :v:

The new shuttle is pretty awesome though. Was a lot of fun to build and it feels like it really outlines how much they've improved build techniques if you compare it to the original shuttle and landing craft models.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Whats the deal with some smaller sets splitting the manual into 2 parts? I ran into this with some other set but all the small speed champions sets but the 918 Spyder split their manuals in two for such a small build.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

My Walmart has some sets listed for clearance but they're not sets I'm dying to get and they're not even that steeply discounted.

Also, kinda sad/annoyed because I ordered a Red-Five from Walmart.ca because I saw the stock listed as low, but they emailed me and saying my order is delayed because they're actually out of stock. Debating cancelling my order because I have no idea when they'll get back in stock/ship it to me, but Walmart is the most convenient place to order because they ship with Canada post and let me pick up from post offices rather then having to be home for a delivery guy.

Toys-R-Us has a bunch of older sets 20% off this week, including the Jedi Scout Fighter - still kinda want this set, but still feels pricey even at 60$

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Names, prices and piece count for the Episode VII Starwars sets revealed.

quote:

Rey’s Speeder (75099) – 193 pieces
$19.99 USD / $24.99 CAD

First Order Snowspeeder (75100) – 444 pieces
$39.99 USD / $49.99 CAD

First Order Special Force TIE (75101) – 517 pieces
$69.99 USD / $89.99 CAD

Poe’s X-Wing Starfighter (75102) – 717 pieces
$79.99 USD / $99.99 CAD

First Order Transporter (75103) – 792 pieces
$89.99 USD / $109.99 CAD

Kylo Ren’s Command Shuttle (75104) – 1004 pieces
$119.99 USD / $149.99 CAD

Millennium Falcon (75105) – 1332 pieces
$149.99 USD / $179.99 CAD

Decent sounding lineup - although that seems really pricey for a Tie fighter, 10 bucks cheaper then the X-Wing with 200 less pieces? Also, at that price, that's the most expensive non UCS X-Wing to date?

Also, pretty excited for the Falcon - never had a chance to pick one up when I was younger.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Your other option is to build a mount/stand so you have it sit with the wings open. Kinda tempted to do that myself because it looks way better that way.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

The part count looks pretty high just by eyeballing it, and given the licensing I wouldn't be surprised if the price approaches $100.

Its 57 Euros on Smyths site and apparently they mark stuff up a bit like ToysRUs?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, I was a bit mixed on the speed champions, was originally only going to get the McLaren but ended up ordering all 4 because I wanted to break 75$ for the free shipping. Don't regret it, they're all nice little models. Picked up the Porche 911 set the other week despite not caring a ton for the finish line and podium - the cars are just too nice. :3: Although as tempting as having the whole series is, I think I'll skip the F1 cars.

Hope they do another series of these. I'm not even that big into cars, but there's something really satisfying about these kits.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Basically everything OT related in the most recent line+ the At-DP (not the ones that were just released and I don't have the Star Destroyer) and a handful of stuff from the last few years that is discontinued. I can make a proper list if you want. There's a few I'm just still deciding if I want to part with. All in all about 16 sets.

If I end up doing this I'll knock a fair chunk off the sticker/ebay price for someone buying it in bulk.

What are some of the older sets you have? I'm pretty sure I have all the current OT stuff that I want so I can't help there.

Zodack posted:

Picked myself up the UCS Slave I today for my birthday and put it together after about four hours.

I am so thoroughly impressed with the set. Building it was a blast and displaying it is even better. I'm so glad I decided to get back into LEGO (Thank you Marvel sets).

I wish some of the old UCS stuff was still available. I'm tempted to buy the UCS Obi-Wan Starfighter just because it seems like a nicely-sized build and looks really sleek.

I'm getting really tempted to get one of those. Initially I figured I'd pass on it entirely because the Slave I isn't a favourite of mine - the original lego Slave I and Jango's Slave I never looked that great on a shelf, but the stand really helps the UCS Slave I.

The Jedi Fighter is easily one of my favourite ships - I wish I could get my hands on a UCS but I doubt I could justify paying whatever markup. There's a guy on SA (the posts in this thread) that is selling UCS B-Wings though.

I ordered myself the UCS X-Wing earlier this week - it's apparently being delivered today which came as a huge surprise because TRU estimated late next week for delivery. Unfortunately I'll probably miss delivery and have to pick it up from the post officer tomorrow but at least I'll have it for the weekend. Gonna be my first UCS since the UCS Interceptor way back when.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zodack posted:

The UCS Jedi Starfighter was MSRP $99.99 and I think you can just get them on BrickLink for $120 sealed. I would have to double check. Do you know what he's asking for the B-Wings? I'm not a huge fan of the ship but it's a sweet UCS model.

Oh dear, I'm going to fall down another Lego hole, aren't I?

As for the B-Wing

Captain Invictus posted:

I am asking $240 shipped each. I have 5 of them left.

Zodack posted:

If you'd like I can take a picture of the UCS side-by-side with the old Slave I (iirc it's the one in-between the original set and the latest one - the Boba figure it came with is the unprinted version of the Cloud City Boba). They're more or less incomparable, the UCS is about two and a half times larger, at least twice as deep, more colors, etc. The old one shoots a little rocket out of the front though.

Nah, I'm pretty sold on it from the reviews and screenshots I've seen. I just find the Slave I doesn't look good sitting flat and finding out the UCS has a stand made a world of difference.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

I think that's a neat looking vehicle, but I still want a decently scaled Batman '66 Batmobile to go along with Ecto-1.

I'm not big into Batman but I really want one based of burton or animated series one.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

So I took a trip over to TRU today and picked up Barry's spaceship - I was hoping to get the Double Decker couch too, but they were out of stock. (Man I swear they had a ton last time I went) - they still have them in stock online, but I need to get to 50$ for free shipping - anyone feel there's any must-have sets from the Lego Movie series? (Besides Metalbeard's ship, as temping as that is, it cost a crapton)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

:downs: That would explain why it never turned up when I searched for it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Do you guys just suck it up and mix sets up or do you pretty much keep stuff together? I want to just pull apart some of my non favorite sets, mix them up and make some poo poo, but the ocd nerd in me always keeps me from doing it. Not to mention the ungodly amount of time it will take to re sort when I inevitably want to put them back together. It sucks trying to find that balance of wanting to keep a collection together and also wanting to build stuff out of it since its friggin Legos.

Just hit walmart up and couldn't resist the Jedi scout for $45. Although I just managed to not impulse buy the echo 1 earlier today, which in retrospect is a cooler set so I'm not sure what I was thinking. Mostly the Jedi scout just looks like it has great parts for building my own ships.

I can't bring myself to pull apart my new sets. Not even the creator ones which seem more angled at giving you the pieces to just build stuff. Mostly because I know the second I pull apart the sets and have a pile of bricks I'll just have choice paralysis/design block/a total lack of creativity. Although I'm a bit tempted to go out a buy some of those "classic" brick boxes so I have no excuse but to just build something with them.

And man I kinda wish the Jedi Scout would go on sale here, it's like 75$ Canadian.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone know if the Ferrari F40 will be at other retailers come it's official release? (Heads up, you can order/get it now from lego stores if you're a VIP)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Pretty excited for that X-Wing, not as impressed with the falcon but I suppose I might grab it since I lack a falcon in my collection.

Bunch of official shots of the Scooby-Doo sets - I have to say they don't seem too bad - when I heard that they were doing them I kinda figured it'd just be kinda lame stuff for kids. Well, it still seems kinda that way but the sets do look nice and have nice attention to detail, good use of colour, and seem pretty true to the Scooby Doo that I got really sick of seeing all the time on Teletoon as a kid :v: Apparently you can even unmask most of the villains. Also, while it's not new to these sets, I really like the gem pieces they're using now and wish I had those as a kid.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Pretty sure Lego pretty deliberately avoids making it easy to get full sets of characters for their licensed lines. Although Shaggy and Scooby being in most sets kinda makes sense seeing as they're the characters the show tends to focus on. I figure I'll grab the Van since it's pretty iconic and just deal with not having the full gang unless they offer some other way to get them.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

Had a good day at the Lego store. Picked up both the F40 and the Blue Power Jet, and I got the very last moon rover polybag. Talk about luck. Unfortunately they didn't have any 458 Italias (DJfooboo posted one above), only McLarens. If I was a twelve year old boy I would want all of the Speed Champions sets, they're fairly cheap to collect and they look very cool.

If you like greebly builds, the Blue Power Jet is for you. There's a lot of neat and inventive plate arrangement to make the red, white, and blue livery on the wings. It has articulating flaps and elevons, and working speed brakes. Lifting up the speed brakes show the main engine compartment, which isn't very detailed but shows the turbine engine build. Strangely, there is no articulation on the vertical stabilizers. This can be fixed fairly easily, I think, but it should have been there by default. The dual-seat canopy opens up in the same way as the F-35, and there is a clever use of a 1x1 trans green tile for the HUD. The model is minifig scale, so you could have a pilot and bombardier from your collection hanging out inside. The ejection seats are made out of 1x1 cheese slopes, which look quite good. A shame it didn't include any figs, but I'm sure I can find a suitable pilot elsewhere.

It has retractable landing gear, which is a big plus. No need for a stand, just pop down the gear and set her down. Benny's Spaceship could learn a thing or two from this set. Unfortunately the main gear wheels are still exposed a bit in gear-up config, but this could be fixed quite easily with a few extra parts if you care about it.

Also, NO loving STICKERS. The livery is entirely brick/plates.

The builds for the helicopter and Boat look pretty good, but I bought this set expressly to make the jet. I would buy another set to build the speedboat if I could get it cheap enough.

This makes me feel better about ordering a blue power jet - it was on sale on TRU's site for about 20$ off MSRP - Didn't really want to get it because I just bought the F40 and was hoping to get the VW Camper soon - but I figured I was going to regret not getting the blue jet at sale price later.

Finished building the F40 earlier today - was a lot of fun and I'm really happy with the final model. Only real critique I have is the flip-up-lights look really lame. It might have looked better with some kind of trans piece but then it probably would have been hard to make it flush while flipped down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

What dictates what sets get numbered bags?I have had like 300 pt sets that have numbered bags, but the bike shop doesn't, despite being 1200 pts. This is kind of frustrating. I think you guys that hate numbered bags are mildly nuts. I've been looking for a piece for 15 minutes.

Edit: I take that back. I've built too many Star Wars sets it's much more fun without them if the set isn't 1000 gray pieces. Also, I've been avoiding all these modulars/city creator sets because I knew it would be dangerous. Now I want them all. gently caress.

I think advanced creator sets tend to not have numbered bags / less numbered bags. The F40 was split into a series of bag 1s and a series of bag 2s.

In a similar boat with the whole "I've entered dangerous territory" - I want to get the other big cars to go with the f40.