Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

My girlfriend got me the Shuttle Adventure set for Christmas. I've only been collecting LEGO now for around a year after getting a job that afforded me a disposable income and this is the largest set I've gotten so far. I was surprised how much of the inner structure was lego blocks rather than technic pieces.

It took around 7 hours to build on Boxing Day, huddled in front of the fire place with half my attention on the TV. It was amazing, I struggled a little with the stickers (used my fingers and don't think they ended up looking great) so that's something to keep in mind for the next build. Now I'm faced with the task of getting it home from my families house having been too eager to build it before going back.

Looking at the 2011 sets I'm really excited for Alien Conquest and I'm already planning out ways to transform the Tripod Fighter into something closer to a Martian War Machine. Good times.

I've not made any mocs yet, though I think I'm going to use Universe Mode and try my hand at an Ecto 1 or even a recreation of my work place to stand next to the Grand Emporium I eventually plan to buy.

Onwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > DUPLO Pooplo: the Authentic Collector's Series Babytoy thread

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I have enough disposable income and enough desire to make a profit that I'm going to buy a couple of big sets and sell them when they have increased in value.

What's the best set for that right now? I'd want them to turn a profit in about a year or so.

I was thinking of getting either the Star Destroyer or the Death Star.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

For anyone in the UK ASDA is currently selling the Alien Conquest Mothership for £29. I was just in the Bolton store and they had a dozen or so in stock. Seemed like a good deal.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The Kits 2-6 Subscription was $70 for 947 pieces, and the Kits 7-9 Subscription is $60 for 632 pieces.

That is a ridiculous price.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

I hope those are representative of the actual figures, Deadpool has some wonderful details, like the thigh pouches and the neck-strap.

The neck strap is for his sword. So he can hold it on his back.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Gravy Jones posted:

If anyone lives out near Burnley way someone is selling Earth Defence HQ for £35 on Ebay but it's pick-up only. It's number 1 on my want list at the moment but It would cost me too much in petrol to be worth my while :(

Snapped this up just now, thanks for the tip.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I ended up having to travel for work this week, so the person selling Alien Defense HQ agreed to ship the thing to me, however before he will do that he wants the money paying via bank transfer, not PayPal, and I'm a little uneasy with that because its outside eBay policy, right?

Now I'm sure he's reputable because of his original desire to have me pick the product up, but even then there's no way of really knowing if that's the case, so...

Any advice?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

So I picked up the ADU HQ set in the end and it's amazing. I've only just completed the 2nd bag, with the human fighter jet in it (the cockpit doesn't close properly, I'm pretty sad about that) and today I'm going to do another couple of bags.

To tie this in to the recent discussion there is one human female in the set.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

AzMiLion posted:

Would be awesome if it opens in time for my holiday to the UK, ill be staying near that area at another goon's house. So we might have to make a trip to Manchester, since we're both LEGO nuts.

It opens late August.

In other news I picked up the Statue of Liberty mini-fig today.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Is the VW Bus still going to be available in the UK for a while?

I'm going pick it up after summer and I'm dreading it going OOP.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Digital War posted:

It is a tad odd. The latest image is a lot more convincing, but the big issue is that those aren't Team GB outfits they're wearing.

Ville Valo posted:

Huh. There were posts in this very thread saying Lego didn't have the license for the 2012 Olympics. Those CG minifigs look much more convincing than the photoshopped pics of the packaging.

Explained. No where do they use the Olympic logo, title or outfit.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I know someone mentioned these a couple of pages ago, but here are some better photos of the new Sun promotion toys.

I want all of these, so I'll making the regular trips to W H Smith for them.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/affiliates/lego/

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I'll pick up some duplicates, what would be the best way to ship them out?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Is anyone interested in the batmobile they gave away in the Sun? I got a duplicate of it today (they were all out the Ninjago set I really wanted) and its free to a good home, or for a trade of the aforementioned Ninjago set.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

kensei posted:

I can pay for shipping to the US but have no Ninjago to trade.

That's fine. My email is seebackfordetails [at] hotmail [dot] com, you can send me your details there and I'll look into mailing cost for you.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Gravy Jones posted:

Flick missile batteries on Earth Defence HQ are awesome. Then again everything about Earth Defence HQ is awesome. Aesthetics, design, details, playability, general bad asserry etc etc

This is so true. It's one of my favourite sets because it just feels so heavy and unique. It's like something out of Captain Scarlet, I love it.

I wish Alien Conquest had gotten another wave, to see what else could've been designed around the ADU, but I'm happy with what we got.

In other news I can't find the Dino sets anywhere except for Toys R Us these days, and even then my local one only stocks the bigger sets - did they just do really badly, or?

Also, when the Monster Hunter sets out in the UK?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

InfinEight posted:

How about : "I knew you ladies were lying about those age-ratings on your boxes :mmmhmm:"

This made me laugh since it's so ridiculous:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonathanmcintosh/6792531251/

There's a guy in the Friends theme?!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

osici posted:

The haunted house set has been announced! It's a Monster Fighters set and it looks awesome.

http://brickset.com/news/article/?ID=3418

Lots of zombie heads on those pillars!

Good God. This just jumped to the top of my want list, it's incredible.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The fireplace (in the haunted house) has one of the bottled ships from POC on it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I just applied to be a Retail Associate in a Lego Store. I want this job so badly I'm actually a little sick with nerves over the idea that I might not succeed. For one, I really need a job, and secondly I really love Lego, and it would be a dream come true to work around it every day.

Wish me luck, I guess.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Gravy Jones posted:

Good luck dude. That would be awesome. We need an insider source! Manchester or Sheffield?

Manchester, it says that they need staff ASAP so I'm hoping to hear back about an interview fairly soon.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I don't know the answer to those questions either beato, it's all thing I'll want to ask in my interview. Thanks for the well wishes guys.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Job progress: So I should hear back this week about if I'm getting an interview, and then that interview and hiring will take place at the end of this month.

Now, dilemma, I've been given an interview at a fast-food restaurant, and I'd know before my Lego interview if I had that job or not, but I really don't like the idea of working there, and working around Lego would be a dream come true.

I've got retail and customer services experience, experience working with kids and I know the product line off by heart, pretty much, do I hold out for the chance to work with Lego, or do I go for the fast food interview and risk getting the job?

They say you shouldn't be picky, but I feel like I'd be disappointed in myself for not taking the risk and trying.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Hamburlgar posted:

If you get accepted for the fast food job then take it but still go for the Lego interview. If you get accepted for that then jack the fast food job.

I'd need to hand in my notice though, meaning I wouldn't be available to start the Lego job ASAP, and, frankly, I'd feel a little bad doing that.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

I keep looking at the Westfield Stratford London Lego store job and pondering, and then remembering that journey would take me an hour and a half each way to work. If the lego store in the Westfield in West London gets an opening, that I might have to go for.

Has anyone seen any of the Monster Fighter stuff in the UK yet?

No, not yet. I was under the impression it hadn't been released/delivered to any stores yet.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Well, that dream is over, my application wasn't selected for an interview. So, despite two years retail experience, full availability, experience working with kids and a passion for the product I wasn't who they were looking for.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

beato posted:

Is it the one at the Manchester Arndale? I missed the application date on that one. Anyone know when that opens?

It opens late in July if everything goes to plan.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Is there anyway someone from the UK could be sent a complete set, or?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Pyroclastic posted:

Yeah, we shouldn't have any trouble arranging that, but if you're in the UK, you should be able to find them, shouldn't you?

There are 9 in a set.

I saw them today in store, its just that trying to find a complete set is too time consuming for me right now, and depending on the mark-up and availability I'd rather just buy one. That's not to say I want claims over any foreign goons, but if you have a spare set after the rest have been claimed then I'm in.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The Manchester Lego Store is looking for a store manager job, I know a few people were thinking of applying to it when it was open earlier so I thought I'd mention it here.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

beato posted:

There's also gift bags for the first 100 customers each of the days 24th-26th. I'm still unsure whether to go as I'm not located in Manchester, ideally I was hoping this weekend was the grand opening to coincide with visiting my friends.

It's my last day in Manchester today, I picked up Shelob Attack's to build on the 4 hour train home. I was told today there will be another recruitment phase coming up in the not too distant future for full-time employees.

All of this is awesome news. I'm going to apply again and hope for the best this time.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Hey guys. I'm thinking about picking up an AFOL friendly set in the next week or so and I'm basically trying to decide between the VW Camper, Sopwith Camel and Haunted House. I'll hopefully pick up all of them at some point but which is considered the better build/display piece?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I was working until close last night, so I got home at about 3:00 in the morning. Set my alarm for 8:30 and walked, half asleep, into town for my polybag.

SUN!!!!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The free Lego in the Sun today, the Quinjet is awesome. Such a neat little build with a really cool shape, I think it's my favorite mini-model ever.

Also I managed to pick up an extra one for anyone who needs it, UK or abroad. PM me with details.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

smackfu posted:

Apparently the photo on the polybag doesn't actually match the colors on the model?

No, one piece is black instead of light grey, but it's not that big of a deal.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I totally understand why it's taking so long, but does anyone else feel like Lego Cuusoo has basically died a death? There seems to be very little enthusiasm for it due to the long time it takes for any news to come out, and as far as I can tell fans and the company just don't seem interested in pushing projects through anymore.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

With a brain bug!

Frankly, I find the idea of a bug that thinks offensive.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

MaliciousOnion posted:

I really like those minimalist ones, except

2x5 brick

And a modern military vehicle. That stands out to me more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

smackfu posted:

Yeah, here are the sets:
EVE Online ship: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/11619
BttF Delorean: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/96
Zelda: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/6809
Western modulars: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/1787

If they can get the license, I can see them doing the Delorean. It would sell well to the older crowd that is into these, and isn't a huge set. Zelda is pretty bare-bones, with only the minifigs really designed. Eve Online, I have doubts about how many people are interested.

And then there's western modulars... an awesome idea, but are the current modulars that big a seller that they could do another similarly priced series successfully? Maybe this could be the successor to that series since you want people to be able to "collect them all" and that's becoming impossible for the modulars due to the scarcity of the old ones.

I heard the idea floating around that the modular western buildings would, scale wise, mimic the mini-modular set from early this year. Honestly the only one of these I think is likely is the BttF set.