Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I am a big fan of both LEGO and Transformers, and when I heard about these I was seriously considering getting one. This was despite the fact that they were Kre-O and therefore inferior to LEGO. Then I found out they didn't transform.

I think the lack of transforming capability really hurt their sales. Without that, they're not real Transformers; and they're not real LEGO, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

What about the Harry Potter line? To me, Harry Potter is only a step below the Twilight series, and I don't know any boys who would be excited to play with a Harry Potter set. Did that line ever take off with girls? The Harry Potter series strikes me as a female series in the traditional Lego sense, until you get to the obviously female like Friends and Belville.

I know that Harry Potter sets are some of the few sets that my wife is interested in. My 3-year-old daugher has enjoyed playing with Harry Potter, Toy Story, winter village toy shop and the creator log cabin. I think that the creator houses are very girl-friendly, and probably less interesting for boys (particularly when the can play with space ships, dragons, ninjas, etc).

Then again, the first thing my daughter built when she got her very first LEGO set this Christmas (a bucket of DUPLO) was a dinosaur.
(Surely this means I should get all the 2012 dino sets, right?)

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Pretty much the only thing I wouldn't do is ask the cashier to hand me the box of minifigs behind the counter so I can rifle through them and feel up the bags, but that's more because I don't want to hold up other customers.

I've felt minifig bags at other stores where they're just on the shelf with the other LEGO, on one occasion working with some other AFOLs to find the ones we wanted. It helps to be an uncaring aspie.

On an unrelated topic, any Ausgoons going to Brickvention?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Lizard Combatant posted:

Whah?! Link?

http://www.brickventures.org.au

It's in Melbourne, hth

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

I agree with Manchild King. Get a set you want or, if no themes grab your fancy, go for creator. See if you can find the Sonic Boom, you should be able to get it for under $100, according to amazon.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Xenophon, that's because mere words cannot convey the coolness of it.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Just a heads-up for any ausgoons: Series 6 is on shelves and Toys R Us has them for $3.99 until the 23rd.

I've realised that, between the sleepy guy's head and the doctor's syringe, this series lets you make an addict.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Someone asked earlier in the thread about the clockwork robot's head and I didn't see a reply; the head is a single piece custom head, much like the grey alien's. It's probably about 1 x 1.5 studs in dimension and has some raised details on the sides.

How equally distributed are the minifigs in each series? In other words, are certain minifigs rarer than others?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

That's Tommy Nine-toes.

The torso is in a few sets.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

illcendiary posted:

Except what usually happens is people flip out and start acting like entitled children over a pricing error. So no, clerks digging their heels in about price is not a problem.

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > LEGO: flip out and start acting like entitled children

(I agree with you.)

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Miijhal posted:

Here, have a Gundam complete with transforming core booster, too.

I really wish Lego Corp. was the one to pick up the Gundam license instead of Megablocks...

I have no interest in Gundam as a franchise but this is cool.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

It can be a bit fiddly but most parts that are supposed to go with other parts (wheels and axles, hinges, etc.) should snap into place when they're aligned right. You may need to rotate the camera or even the piece, particularly if you're not working with standard right angles.

As to matching up tyres and wheels, maybe look up the parts and cross-reference what are used in various sets. Or just play around until something fits.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Lord Ryan posted:

Because it's so cool!

There's more.

edit:

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 24, 2012

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

I was under the impression most, if not all, were shot by the same woman.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

As long as you take your time and make sure you're identifying your parts correctly, there's no reason you can't get exactly what you want. If there's more than one unique part to a particular minifig, try and identify as many as you can. It sucks buying a Lady Liberty only to discover what you thought was the flame of her torch is actually the Spanish Dancer's fan.

Of course, if you do get duplicates, you can always trade or sell them.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

LEGO Champion looks like it would make the perfect drinking game.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ingram posted:

Quite a few boxes had been opened and the contents removed. I pointed these out to some staff.

This is a terrible crime. See if the store will sell the damaged boxes cheap.

My local Target also has Super Heroes, although no Lex Luthors :(

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ingram posted:

Why'd anyone want an emtpy box? :P

Misread the post, didn't realise they'd been completely emptied. Usually the boxes I've seen that have been attacked just have the minifigs missing.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Dead Alice posted:

Slightly bigger than the original kit...

quote:

GIANT LEGO ROBOT $1 RESERVE!

* ESTIMATED 10,000 PIECES
* STANDS AT 800CM TALL
* HAS ELECTRONIC WIRING ( I THINK IT MAY WALK NOT SURE)
* A MUST FOR ANY LEGO ENTHUSIAST
* HOPEFULLY SOMEONE CAN BUILD ANOTHER ARM AND GET THE ELECTRONIC PART WORKING

***ONLY $1 RESERVE***

IS VERY HEAVY WOULD PREFER PICK UP.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Speaking of Australia, anyone know the best way to avoid the horrible in-store prices?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Dead Alice posted:

Why would they make two different types? :psyduck:

Three. There's another plastic one that holds 8.

edit: While googling to confirm this post, I found this gem. Make sure you watch the video.

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 17, 2012

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

The Captain's Cabin (4191) comes with two zombies. I think they're the same as the Queen Anne's Revenge ones.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Just bought one of the Friends line for my daughter. I don't particularly care if it's supposedly sexist, she'll love it. Also, at $10 for the small sets, it's a good price for a small treat.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

I can't find the part by itself on Peeron but I believe that 1x2 is connected to the white slope.

edit: found it

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 26, 2012

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

I'm pretty sure someone earlier in the thread discussed how they protect the outdoor models by coating them with a protective varnish. They do fade, it just takes a lot longer than normal.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Canis Dufus posted:

After rediscovering my love for early nineties shoot 'em ups, I built these microscale starfighters in LDD the other day:

These look great, especially as sprites. You should definitely do more.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

smackfu posted:

This Eve Online ship hit 10k too, just today. Another "maybe if we get the license for free" thing:
http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/11619

This seems possible, considering one of the EVE Devs has been plugging it on their website.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Is it just me or are those brown track links?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Wasn't entirely sold on the Turd Rustler but this, this is a thing of beauty.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

:siren: Attention Ausgoons :siren:

Target is having a Buy One, Get One 50% Off sale on all toys until Sunday.

If only they had series 7 :(

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Lizard Combatant posted:

Designer video for the Haunted House!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5-28oA6-yc

Any US goons know how much it would cost to ship a set that size internationally?
If Lego Australia doesn't bring it out at the same time I'm going to have to do something drastic.

Judging by the current Monster Fighters sets being unreleased here, I'd say we'll be waiting longer for this, too. Also, I estimate it'll RRP for at least $250 here :australia:. Shipping from the US will most likely be about $30-40. I'll be seriously considering doing this.

edit: I used the Grand Emporium as a guideline, as it has a comparable parts count.

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 14, 2012

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ingram posted:

If any goons are in Vic area maybe we can get a group buy happening? I know I will be ordering 2 myself.

If there are significant savings to be had, I'd be for this.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

A warning to any Ausgoons looking to pick up anything at the mid-year toy sales: The Target sale unofficially starts tomorrow night, instead of Thursday.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

As far as exclusives go, Target has the R2-D2 for 199, Big W has the SSD for 498 and Dino sets. Not sure if Kmart has any exclusives (maybe the City construction sets, I haven't seen them anywhere else).

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

No, just the ones that still think it's 1980 and have a crotch beard poking out at the seams.

I wish I was kidding. I worked at water park for a summer, and literally every day we got complaints about "that lady over there has pubes showing". Sometimes guys in speedos too.

Kick the complainers out for looking at women's crotches.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Lizard Combatant posted:

The Australian price has been bumped up to $269 as well. I can't spend that :smith:

I don't know that the Australian price was ever lower than $269. I made a guess earlier in the thread that it would be about $250 (judging by another, similarly sized, recent set) but I never saw it at less than $269.

It's still expensive. And they'll still sell.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

I may be able to get some bulk Star Wars Lego, not entirely sure what it consists of yet. What's the going rate for bulk lego?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ville Valo posted:

Is it A or B? Person 1: "A" Person 2: "B" :mad:

youareoffthehook posted:

Lego stores put stuff out when they are supposed to be released because they are owned by The Lego Group. Other stores can break dates because they aren't owned by Lego.

It's most likely this. It only takes one store to break embargo and they all will. Nobody wants to be sitting on stock while your competition is selling it. Also, from what I understand, if a store is fined for breaking embargo, it'll only happen for the first store to do so (if applicable).

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Series 8 minifigs have finally hit stores in Australia, and Toys 'R' Us has a 'Buy 4 Get 1 Free' sale on them until the 11th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Cakefool posted:

Where can I browse & download instruction books?

http://service.lego.com/en-gb/buildinginstructions/