Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009

Mascot posted:

Anybody managed to find these in the US yet? Brickset said they were out, but I've been striking out all over the place so far.

Guessing by they way that Series 1 came out, they'll be in Europe first, then the UK about 2 weeks after (not sure why we don't get the same release date as the rest of Europe!) then the US about a month later.
I can't find them on sale anywhere in the UK yet, so the US might be a little while off yet. Especially as they're not even for sale in the lego shop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

I saw this house at Target today for the first time.

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=8403-1

It was $39.99 for 383 pieces, and it also said "special edition" on the box, but I don't see what exactly is special about it.

Well, I've never seen it anywhere in the UK... so I'm guessing they mean special edition like only for target, or only for your area or something.

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009
You guys are all finding series 2 minifigs in the US and Canada, but is there any sign of them in the UK yet? I can't seem to find them yet, although I've been working a fair bit, so not had too much chance to look.

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009
For those UK lego fans out there - My local Entertainer got their delivery of S2 yesterday. They've numbered them all, so it's easy to pick out which ones you want. They don't, however, have the vampire or the witch. They do seem to be flying out pretty fast though. Going to head back today to try and grab a few more, before they run out!

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

The witch, and maybe the vampire I can understand, but...the mummy? Really?

Yup, The Entertainer is kinda strange like that. As Dame Cook said, the owner is uber-Christian. They don't have any Harry Potter toys, or anything remotely witch-crafty or vampire like. They also don't open on Sundays, being the Lord's Day, and all that jazz.

Pretty sure that Argos have the minifigs, so we should be able to get the "offending" ones from there. Or TRU. Or possibly WHSmith (although I personally never saw S1 there). I might pop into Argos tomorrow, hopefully the box is on the counter and I can rifle through them, instead of being randomly picked from out the back, like most argos stock.

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

So do they just throw the bad ones out? Return them? What?

They had an agreement with Lego. (I spoke to a manager about this). The full boxes went to The Entertainer warehouses, where employees sorted through the boxes and pulled out the vampires and witches. The half-empty boxes then got sent on to the stores, and the "offending" figs got sent back to Lego. I assume lego will just sell them off online or somesuch!

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009

tactical_grace posted:

UK Goons: Argos is doing 3 for 2 on all toys (including Lego) until the 28th Sept.

NTS: Print out barcode sheet and go buy minifigs soon. Especially as Entertainer don't do the witch and vampire!!!

P.S. Thanks for the heads-up.

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

Would you be able to check the barcodes in Argos? Don't they keep everything in the back?

Minifigs are kept in their box on the counter. Or at least, my local stores for S1 were, and when I popped in to see if they had S2, they were as well.

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009
I was just wondering if anyone was thinking of going along to the Master build event next weekend at DownTown Disney, Orlando? I think they want to try and build an 8ft dragon. Not many details, but info is here: http://stores.lego.com/en-us/Orlando/events.aspx

Assuming I'm not working, I'd like to try and pop along. It'll be my first (but hopefully not last) Lego event in the US (I'm from the UK) and I'd quite like to meet some goons there too!

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009

InfinEight posted:

gently caress this poo poo.

I'd rather pay a slight markup off Bricklink than work those out! Jesus!

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009

djfooboo posted:

I think the world racer line is the only overpriced non-licensed thing. But maybe that is just because the theme isn't very fun to me. It tries to be Mad Max, but fails in my eyes.

edit: Me right now :fap:

I'm so so jealous! I keep going down to my local Lego store in Downtown Disney, and seeing the tower bridge on display. I want it sooooo badly. :( Seems I'm just going to have to save up. I have too many things to save up for.

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009
I have just worked out that Lego is a LOT cheaper in the US than it is in the UK. The exchange rate is such at the moment that I can buy sets in the US for about 2/3rds of the UK price. This is comparing the US and UK prices given by shop.lego.com.

Dear lord - someone please help my bank account while I'm here in the US. I have a horrible feeling I'll need to take about 5 cases of stuff back with me at the end of this year!

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009

Final Gloom posted:

Here's a cool JP one:

I love the dying victim :lol:

I think I've actually seen that moc. There's so much more to it if it is... I'll try and dig up the photos I took to see if it is the same one.

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009

Saint Sputnik posted:

The PotC sets have hit TRU btw and they're eligible for the BOGO1/2off.

They've hit lego stores too... I popped over to Downtown Disney before work today, and the new Orlando lego store is open! Must've happened in the last couple of days, because I was looking in the temporary tent last Sunday. Either way, the store is very spacious and is pretty big... I think their still working out quite how much space they have and how many stands and things to put up inside. There's new models outside too, all Disney themed... Snow White & the 7 Dwarfs in two different models, Buzz Woody and RC in the classic rocket moment, and finally, Prince Philip battling Dragon Maleficent. I'll upload some photos when I head back there with my camera!

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009
I've liked the modular buildings, but I've not yet been able to justify spending that much money on any of those sets... but the new pet store one, oh my... this is just bad. Bad for my bank balance, I mean. And for my shipping costs come the end of October! (Why oh why does lego have to be so much cheaper in the US than in the UK?!?! I'm only here for 6 more months, and I have to get it all home somehow!)

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009

ireladd posted:

The modular buildings, brick for brick, actually come out to quite a good deal. If you go with the assumed .10 per brick being a good price setting point, then $150 for a 2032 piece set is not bad at all, at around .08 a brick.

I think I might not have been clear... I'm in the US right now (have been for 6 months and will be for another 6, when I return to the UK). The prices of sets here work out cheaper than the same set at the equivalent UK price. I'm not sure if that's due to poor exchange rates or what, but lego is just plain cheaper in the US. Of course, that still doesn't mean I can afford a $150 set! But I'm going to drat well try!

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009
Dear AFOL goons,

I have decided to go to brick con in Seattle this year. (long story short... I need something to look forward to and something to aim for, and I always said i'd attend a lego convention while in the US)

So, a couple of questions for you...
Firstly, throw some MOC ideas my way so I can try to create something awesome to take with me and show. I'm thinking small-ish, no bigger than 32x32. (Most of my collection is in the UK, although i'm prepared to buy)
Secondly, I've never been to any conventions before, is it wise to do this on my own our should I find a friend to join me? (Obviously, i'd like to, but i'm wondering quite how important it would be)
Thirdly, how would I best transport an MOC from Orlando to Seattle?
And last, what should I actually expect when there!?

Any tips on places to stay, eat, other things to see while there will be greatly appreciated. I've never been anywhere other than FL in America, yet.

Thanks in advance!

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009

Rythe posted:

Took some family who came into town down to Dallas to hit the museums and get some dinner this weekend. Haven't been to the Lego store down there yet, it was not nearly as big and impressive as the one I went to in Orlando Florida near Disney.

Not sure if this is common knowledge, but the Orlando Lego store is the largest in the World. It has both the largest floor space and the largest pick-a-brick wall. (It got overtaken for wall size at one point, but the re-furb put it back at the #1 spot)

I really want that Camper Van, but I have a friend in the UK who will want it even more. He spends too much of his money on Lego as it is, but he's also a VW fan... he'll be all over that set!

In other news - I've decided to build a microscale version of some real life buildings. Does anyone have any hints or tips on how they'd usually go about doing this? I've never really dealt with microscale before now, and I'm quite looking forward to the challenge!

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009

Humerus posted:

I don't know if this is the proper place to ask but I am anyway. <stuff>

I could be tempted, but it would depend on how much there is, and what you'd be asking for it. Logistics of me moving back to the UK in a couple of months are neither here nor there! (also my problem, not yours!) And yes, I am in the Central Florida area.

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009

jp82729 posted:

Just saw this on brothers brick...amazing

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/onelug/6192618745/

There's an MOC card for this on the BrickCon website. Meaning I will be seeing it in person this weekend! *excited* I'm headed up to Seattle in a matter of hours, and I will be taking so many photos... I promise to share some with you guys when I'm back. I just wish I'd had the time/money to make something to take with me, myself. *sigh*

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009

mattfl posted:

The Lego store that's in Orlando, which I believe is the largest Lego store in the states is worth checking out too. The park is only open until 5pm I believe so when you're done there, drive an hour north to Downtown Disney and check out the store.

Largest in the world, both by floor area, and by PaB wall size. I'm going to hate moving back to England, Orlando has spoiled me!!!

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

I have a ton of Paradisa in the basement. Is it worth anything besides a fun project over Christmas break?

I'd be willing to buy some of it, if you let me know which sets you have? I had a lot of Paradisa as a kid, and I'm missing a couple of sets here and there, and I'd LOVE to complete my collection. That is, ofc, if you'd be willing to a)sell and b)ship to the UK. Feel free to ignore me or PM me. :)

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009
Just letting the UK goons know, I saw some Series 6 minifigs in WH Smith today. Next to an overflowing box of Series 5, by one of the till points. Grabbed a random one to send off to my Secret Santa, but didn't have the time to do a bag-grope for myself.

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

I feel like transatlantic shipping probably isn't going to be a good deal for either of us, but I will totally be happy to nerd out about Paradisa if you want instead. I remember the night before one birthday (my seventh?) I couldn't fall asleep for hours because I was so drat stoked. :3:

I definitely have Seaside Cabana, Sand Dollar Café, Dolphin Point, and Poolside Paradise. I think I also have Motorboat and Sidewalk Café. I'm almost positive I have all the directions but I doubt I have the boxes anymore.

I'm getting pretty interested in rebuilding it all when I go back for Christmas . . . not that I need this hobby!

I never realised how expensive or rare Paradisa was until I came out of my dark ages. I dug out all my sets from my parents about 2 years ago, still in boxes! Unfortunately, I've had to throw the boxes out, I just don't have the space for them, but I don't ever intend to sell, so it's all fine. I cut them out and kept the cute pictures of alternate builds that was on the back/side of every one.

As for which sets I have? I'll list them all, and here's the Bricklink Paradisa Page.
1761-Speedboat, 6401-Seaside Cabana (I think I have two), 6402-Sidewalk Cafe (I know I have two. Double sized icecream stand!), 6403-Paradisa Playground, 6404-Carriage Ride, 6409-Island Arcade, 6410-Cabana Beach, 6411-Sand Dollar Cafe, 6414-Dolphin Point, 6416-Poolside Paradise, 6419-Rolling Acres Ranch.

The only one I don't have but really want is 6418-Country Club. Looking back at that list, I was a very very lucky girl!!! Shame I wasn't sensible enough to stop the bricks getting sun-damaged! Or the odd one getting lost! Oppsy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009

youareoffthehook posted:

Anyone participating at Brickcon?

I went last year, and am so gutted I can't make it this year. Made some awesome friends too, it was an amazing weekend!