Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Flavor Bear posted:

on an inexplicable pedestal
Let me explain that to you by means of a picture:

:eng101:

(It's so they can turn with the direction of the wind.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

ireladd posted:

Series 6:

Does anybody else feel that this set is pushing it a bit far? With square robot heads and genie bodies, grey alien heads that don't even look like part of a LEGO line and statue mini-figs, it just doesn't feel as LEGO'y.

I do like the female astronaut, warrior and bandit a lot though.

I love them, especially the robot, minotaur, leprechaun and beowulf.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

The tripod certainly does look the coolest for the cheap end of stuff, but I'm noticing it doesn't come with a soldier guy either...guess I might end up getting two.

I got the walker together with the two smaller sets:

The car isn't all that great, and I'm definitely changing that one up, but it does come with a nice amount of weaponry, and it's enough to make a nice little scene to play with.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Schindler's Fist posted:

All right you bastards, I got one too. :v:

Woohoo! Welcome to the club!

If I had the money I'd buy one or two more.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

einTier posted:

Here it is.

So that's what those are for.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'm pretty sure the same thing was done a few years ago here in the Netherlands.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Finished. :)

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Zonko_T.M. posted:

No! That guy needs to get that 1x1x1 cylinder off that minifig in the back or it'll get stuck!
That's really cool. Do you mind if I share that with people?

Why would I mind? I just fished it off some Finnish blog, so I have no idea what the original source is.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I found this quite interesting. It's a guide to build this:

Sure, it's very basic for a lot of you, but for many/some it'll be quite interesting or at least a good start to building the really awesome stuff.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

My wife (of 4 months now) has family near the German/Danish border and promised to take me to LEGOland Billund after I'm introduced to her grandmother.

I've never been to Europe, and I'm now way more interested in expensive overseas flights.

Don't know how it is now, but between 10 and 15 years ago I went there a couple of times. It was most awesome back then, en definitely tons better than the UK one.

You're going to have a blast, I'm sure. :)

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Oh poo poo, is that the new wave? I assume you live in Europe. I'm still working on Wave 5, which is fine because I need more Lizardmen. I only have two. :(

Good haul today! No Earth Defense HQs at Toys R Us but I did get a lizardman and three gladiators. Toys R Us didn't have what I wanted but look what I found at Marshalls for 40 bucks. :D

I want that set (and the village) more than I've wanted a lego set ever. It sucks I'm a poor student and I probably (definitely) won't be able to get it at all. :smith:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Serious Michael posted:

Spyrius Saucer Scout (6835)

This was always one of my favorites as a kid, but I remember it being larger. Granted I also remember it actually flying and the gun on top shooting real lasers.

Same here. It's one of my earliest sets I can remember.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Jut posted:

(i'm thinking a space version of the modular town sets)

You just gave me the idea for this year's lego project, thanks. :)

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Shuppiluliumas posted:

-snip-

Can you put one of those heads on a normal minifig? I'm interested in seeing the comedic effect.

e:
I have to add, by the way, that those sets don't disappoint me at all.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Shuppiluliumas posted:

No, you can't. I don't think they could have designed it to work that way because of how thin the minidoll torsos are. The standard minifig neck is the same diameter as a stud. The minidoll necks are 3mm, like lightsaber blades and everything else that clips into a minifig hand.
Aw, that really sucks. It would've been hilarious to make a scene with giant head minifigs and/or tiny head girlfigs (whatever you call those).

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I love the look on the cashiers face when they realise it's for myself. I'm not ashamed at all, all my friends know about it and occasionally, when we hang out at my place, we empty the bins on the floor and start building and creating awesome stuff while drinking and talking. My room is full of sets, and so far I've only gotten positive responses to it, albeit sometimes a bit puzzled.

Like Merchant of Death says: it's just another hobby and as far as hobbies go, building with Lego isn't that odd at all.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

engessa posted:

For Dutch Lego goons: http://www.gebruiktlego.nl/lego sometimes has great sets for a low price. Right now they are selling this: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=6098-1 for 35 euros. Also bought this one for 9 euros: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=6248-1

Woah, thanks for that!

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

engessa posted:

Another tip: http://www.hetdeensesteentje.nl/ They sell new sets below the recommended retail price. A few month ago i bought this one: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=7189-1 for 55 euros, every other places sell it for 65 euro minimum.

Thanks! I've ordered from Brickshop before. Service was quick and good. :)

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Sean OFarrell posted:

Bugger. Ya I know it's not supposed to be nautical but I just hoped that since they had a dock set they might have had another ship somewhere. Oh well, I'll take a trip down to the Lego Store this weekend and see if I can't build one with some of the pieces they have lying around.

Off topic, how do you post pictures on here. I wanna post a few of my Lego sets

Upload them to imgur.com and post the link here between [img] tags. :)

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Un-loving-Believable. That might be one of the best/most realistic MOCs I've seen, and I'm not even an airplane buff. :aaa:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Good god, your bookshelf looks exactly like mine. Pratchett top shelf, below that Niven, Reynolds and Asimov, and below that I've got different books, but still, creepily similar. I also read all of Feist (but because I started reading that translated (in Dutch) when I was 12 I don't own them.

Definitely going to check out Jim Butcher. You seem to like it so I probably will too.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Highest Lego tower record got broken again, this time with 31.6 meters.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Yup, now I'm definitely living in the future I imagined as a child. loving awesome.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Okay, that haunted house set is the one thing I'm going to save for over the summer, good god.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Holy poo poo, this video is amazing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUtS52lqL5w
LEGO Great Ball Contraption

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Wow, that's really slick. I like it.

e:
I just checked out your other stuff, goddamn that's awesome. You make me want to build stuff like that in real life.

Taeke fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 1, 2012

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

The blue wing definitely is, as are the golden goblet, red feather above it (from a knight's helmet, for example), red cup, blue indian feathers, police thing and the lion piece. Some of the others I'm not sure about.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'm not at all knowledgeable, but from what I've heard it wouldn't surprise me if you could get your 400 bucks back (maybe even make a profit) just by selling the minifigs.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

yourafagpleasedie posted:

That helms deep sucks, I was into it until I saw the lazily multicolored bricks for the back pieces. Spend almost 2 years in prep and you do that? Go big or go home.

Those aren't the back pieces, but the the structural beams that you only see because they took apart the segments. Everything put together means you can't see the insides.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Cloks posted:

Do you have a parts list for that Dalek?

A quick google gave me this:

It's really nice and simple with all common parts, so I think I might make a few myself.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'm excited. :)

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Joramun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEUhPf54OoU

The new Chima sets are cray cray in the best way. It's like Lego meets Transformers meets the Zords from Power Rangers.
My jaw dropped when the goddamn fortress transformed into an eagle so smoothly.
Also, I'm getting a really strong KKnD vibe from it in the best way possible.

I mean, the stuff I grew up with was awesome, but this is amazing.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I liked some of the alien stuff. Obviously the limo was awesome:

And I also really liked the truck with the hidden laser:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Kazy posted:

Just stumbled across this. :allears:

Hello new facebook cover!

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

VaultAggie posted:

You lucky bastard, I'm pretty sure it was this set.

http://brickset.com/sets/6195-1/Neptune-Discovery-Lab

I´ve got that one. I always mean to rebuild it someday but I never get around to it.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

JohnnyCanuck posted:

He sold it to Microsoft for 2.5 BILLION dollars.

So yeah.

HAHAHAhahaha...
:suicide:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Don't sort by colour so you end up with a bin full of black pieces in which it's impossible to find that one piece you need.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

To get away from the whole Big Bang Theory/Doctor Who sucks discussion, a friend of mine has the Black Sea Barracuda (6285) and Skull's Eye Schooner (6286), only without the sails. He can't afford to buy new ones but wants to to take a stab at recreating them from scratch, only he needs the dimensions/pattern/template, whatever you call it, to do so.

Anyone here happen to have those sets/sails, or know where to get what he needs? It would really be appreciated.

e:
These sets:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

obi_ant posted:

That looks like Claptrap from Borderlands.

It's the colour scheme.