Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

InfinEight posted:

This is deceptively cool:

The images are a little big, but they're worth loading up to see all the details: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=439797

Greeble overload!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Substar posted:

And this is something my girlfriend made, she keeps asking me to post it in this thread. It's pretty :allears:

That white bowl under that big window, is that blood...? Some sort of sacrificial altar?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

One of these were my first set:

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6644-1
http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6661-1

While the TV-van was released first, putting together that sportscar is one of my earliest memories (born '87). :3:

Bboth sets are awesome even today.

Edit: ^^Holy poo poo, I had that ship too! Was it really that early? :hf: for awesome parents, I guess.

Captain Scandinaiva fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 9, 2010

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

May Contain Nuts posted:

Would it have been racist to make the rapper black?

Minifigs are yellow, not white.

Lando Calrissian didn't happen.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Flavor Bear posted:

Made a chopper last night.
I call it "the Steed"

That's awesome. Gives me Fallout wibes for some reason.

Also, yay for Lego cooperating with NASA!

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I'm thinking about uploading some pics of my creations. I'm wondering what image hosting site would be best for this? Specifically, I'd like a function that reduces the size of images automatically, like Facebook. Does MOCpages do this?

I already have a Brickshelf account, and while images are thumbnailed, they're actually saved at the original resolution (unless there's some setting I've missed), meaning uploading takes forever if you don't resize them manually beforehand.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

InfinEight posted:

This is why I haven't bothered with flicker... also Captain Scandinaiva, why don't you just adjust the settings on your camera to take smaller pictures? Or you could try GIMP, it's free and I'm pretty sure it can resize images.

Huh, hadn't even thought of that. Unfortunately, because of my limited amount of pieces, I usually only build two MOCs at a time, photograph them then break them down.
About resising, it's mostly the fact that I need to be able to do it in a batch, resising just above 100 pics is too much. :effort: So unless GIMP can do that... I'll check out flickr

Thanks for all the advice!

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

So I finally resized some of those photos and uploaded them to brickshelf. My collection is mostly from the early 90's with lots of basic bricks, so MOCs are less 'awesome SNOTing' and more 'what if LEGO licensed The 5th Element around the time the movie came out?' They're a bit bulky. :shobon: Also, because I have relatively few pieces, I can't make any improvements on most of the MOCs, because they've already been taken apart.

From oldest to newest (roughly):

A sci-fi hotrod with a side-car. Featuring two angry dudes. More

A small modular transport which was never fully completed. More

A space fighter. Really basic but I like the top fin. More

Another fighter, inspired by the Myrmidon found in Freespace 2. I looks nothing like that ship but I like how it turned out. More

Another civilian vessel, a space limousine. Tried to make something less shaped like a box, failed utterly. More

There were once in the Lego space community people who built MOCs dedicated to different 'factions'. This one was meant as an AWACS ship for The Red Bloc, a soviet-inspired faction. More

In a world where there are flying cars and skyskrapers reach several km into the sky, what would a firetruck look like? Well, for starters it would have a horizontal ladder and a steel fence in the front, to protect against attacks from the underclass youth/mutants of the future dystopia. More

A high security transport, transporting the precious commodities of the future -kittens! More

Fixed

Captain Scandinaiva fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 28, 2010

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

InfinEight posted:

You've got some redundant HTML in your whole post, it opens the image in a new window and two more windows with the gallery the picture is in. Also if you're gonna use brickshelf for your own pics, you don't need to host them on waffleimages, just click on the image in your gallery until you get it by itself, then copy the address. Then paste it in your post like this: [timg] http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ragnarock01/Odds-n-ends/landfillsurvivor.jpg [/timg] without the spaces. It'll look like this:

If you want them thumbnailed, use [timg] and [/timg]:

This way you're not uploading things twice, and you only have to copy&paste once. Anyway, your stuff is blocky but that's hard to get away from if you don't have a lot of pieces. Keep experimenting and look out for new sets on sale, especially Creator sets. They have tons of SNOT parts and angled bricks that will help you go beyond flying bricks. You've got nice ideas so don't be afraid to get new parts and expand your palet.

Thanks. :) I tried using [timg] and using images as links at the same time, that's what hosed it up.

I'm slowly building up a better collection, got the new Republic Gunship (sweet new hinges!) and Wind Turbine Transport plus bits and pieces from Ebay. But those darn stickers make you kinda want you to keep your sets in one piece for as long as possible.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Finished my Vic Viper, finally. I had been waiting on the 2x2 round tile for the nose for about two weeks.

It lights up!

Wow. What did use for lighting?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

InfinEight posted:

My own share&tell isn't as slick but here it is anyway, since I can finally say it's done. Here's some highlights:

You can see everything here or check out my ramblings on MOCpages.

That's awesome. I must admit, I found the design weird in the first WIP pictures you posted, but it turned out really good.
Love the little details like the internal access hatches for the landing gears!

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I'm not terribly excited about the new space sets either. They remind me of what City looked like a couple of years ago. Low detail due to only having a few, big pieces. The color scheme is ugly too. It sounded so promising when they announced they were cooperation with NASA. :(
They got some nice pieces, though.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Knormal posted:

That Alien Conquest line looks amazing. Those blue human vehicles really remind me of classic space.

This.
It looks amazing, but otoh I guess this means the New Space Police line will be discontinued. Better track down a Lunar Limo in the Post-Christmas Sale before it's too late!

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

VaultAggie posted:

Just got this baby in the mail

I've wanted this thing for years but never got around to buying it.

That is so nice. Love the helmets for the aliens. I had a chance to buy that particular set a while ago but forgot to keep my bid up. :(

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > DUPLO Pooplo: the Authentic Collector's Series Babytoy thread

Name change frequenzy increasing. Good thing I have this thread bookmarked. :snoop:

Found 5876 Creator set used for half the retail price yesterday. Mmm, red sloped bricks.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Schindler's Fist posted:

I enjoyed putting this together. One of the few instances where I approve of stickers.

It's a lot cooler than the Toys'R'Us one, I think.

I got a gift cert for a major store chain for my birthday. They've got some Lego so I'm probably gonna pick up a small set together with the things a actually need tomorrow. :) Either one of the Star Wars battle-packs or that little Space Police III fighter.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

InfinEight posted:

So I've had a sort of late birthday spree. First, I was out grocery shopping today and my usual Fred Meyer/Smith's had 4 boxes of series 4 figs :aaaaa: With no cheat sheet I set to work, and before long I had 4 Hazmat guys, which was what I really wanted:

That's not all of course. About two weeks ago, Toys R Us had the Slave 1 on sale for 30% off. With their markup that only brought it down to $67, but I decided to pick it up 'just in case.' Then I thought, surely I could find it cheaper without minifigs, cuz I didn't really care about those. Sure enough, I managed to get it for $36 shipped off Ebay:

Because I am INSANE CRAZY PERSON :supaburn:

Buying birthday presents for yourself is the best thing. :)

And the Slave I is incredibly nice.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Time Cowboy posted:

Any suggestions for making Lego into a fun social activity?

Weed?

Actually, what Saint Sputnik said is a really cool idea; write down a bunch of nouns on pieces of paper, get an hourglass or a stop watch, and you've got your own creationary.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

IIRC, they started with the non-yellow minifigs when they starteed releasing models based on The Clone Wars animated series, they also made the faces more detailed.
I actually hadn't noticed it had 'spread' to all of Star Wars until now. I don't like it.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Oh dear.

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=10221-1

Edit: In case the image gets taken down; the next UCS set will be the Super Star Destroyer.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

beato posted:

It's also mid-season sale time:

- Myer has these sets discounted, and all board games including Lego ones are 25% off (until 1st May)
- Target has 20% all Lego sets (offer ends today 13th April)

I picked up the Creator Sonic Boom Set 5892 for AUD$48 from Target. Wish it was pay day I would have picked up Slave 1 and Brick Daddy's Space Limo too.

I wish I could afford that one, so many useful pieces of the same kind! :(

Reminder that the SSD is awesome:
http://youtu.be/RjiO-63X3dM

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

The first MOC I can remember is a huge aeroplane I built and tried to photograph for a contest.

I also had a town under my bed with a hospital, a church, a post office and a factory that made jet engines. For some reason there always ended up being a strike at the factory that developed into a riot, which in turn led to a response from the city's massive police force. :ussr:
The sci-fi stuff came later, as I recall.

Also I loved recreating scenes from Treasure Island (the one with Charlton Heston) with my pirate figs. :3:

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

einTier posted:

This Porsche 911 just popped up on Jalopnik.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnGj4wxsNZY
It's fairly impressive.

I can't even begin to imagine how he fit all those functions into a car of that scale. :psyduck:
I mean, lights, electric motor for the roof, a 7 steps gearbox, functioning brake discs?!

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I found This list of sets rumored to be released in 2012. It was posted in august, but most of the things posted seem to have held true so far.
If it all checks out, this will be cool:
6860 The Batcave (Super Heroes)
6867 Iron Man (Super Heroes)
4205 Off Road Command Centre (City)
4439 Police Heavy Lift Helicopter (City)
4435 Car and Caravan (City)
4440 Forest Police Station (City)
4442 Crooks Hideout (City)

Edit: Found some more scans from the same blog: http://www.bricktuts.com/2011/09/lego-2012-pictures/
Apparently the Super heroes line will not be sets with minifigs (at least, not all of them) :(

Captain Scandinaiva fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 15, 2011

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Some of those sets I have seen leaked before but others were completely new to me.

That Mobile fire command center really is something else. Good to see City being reinvented with new sets, not just another police station, etc. Also nice to see the liberal usage of 2X1 trans blue and orange.

May have to get that Chinook, looks very interesting.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Man, I wish Lego would release Basic Bricks sets with only one-stud-wide pieces, maybe some slopes and curved pieces too.

I guess it's not that much of a hazzle to buy from Pick A Brick or Bricklink, it would just be a lot more convenient to buy a box with a ready made assortment.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I got something in the mail today. :3:

Look at all those slopes and curved pieces! (Not pictured: 36 1x1 slopes)

'Light' bricks with their own internal battery? That's handy. Big gently caress-off engines and cockpit windshields are always useful, too.

00:30 mark.

01:00

01:30

02:00

02:20 and 5892 is done!

Sorry for the shoddy quality.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Sonic Boom is such a fun set, and the jet is ridiculously huge! I actually took mine apart over the weekend and rebuilt it as the prop plane though, since I like older planes. It's definitely at a more swooshable size too.

It is! And it's pretty ridiculous how fascinating it is to pull that lever an watch the engines light up (although the mechanism is a bit finicky). I don't think I will keep mine as it is for long, either. It's begging to be remade into something inspired by Crimson Skies.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

CADPAT posted:

Hey I was curious on what peoples thoughts were on stickers vs. printed blocks?

I hate the concept of stickers because you have to place them neatly and they peel off and such, but on the plus side plus if you don't apply the stickers then you can use the blocks for other things.

I just generally like printed blocks for some reason. I like having a collection of control panels and other such things.

Agreed. I don't mind stickers for most pieces, but hate them for tiles and sloped 'computer' pieces. Also don't like it when stickers are supposed to be applied over multiple pieces (though this is unusual in my experience).

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

From the prototypes:

As if M-tron wasn't awesome already!

I'm suprised how advanced these models are, created long before internet and MOCs and AFOLs.

I'm also sad this wasn't made to be the design of the police vehicles of SP III:

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Jones posted:

Even if Lego is seen as a boy's toy, whether or not that's right or wrong or good or bad I just wish there was a bigger female presence overall. My immediate issue as a parent is not so much the genderfication of toys (unfortunately I think the boat has sailed on that one) but how women are represented in the stuff the toys my son does choose to play with.

Funny story, I sometimes go to my local toy shop to oh and awe at the LEGO I can't afford. One time I overheard a father and his son.
Boy: I want this one! *points at the latest (2011) Police Station*
Father: But you already have a police station?
Boy: Yeah, but this one has a woman police officer in it!
:unsmith:

Another time I overheard a mother and her daughter.
Girl: I want this one!
Mother: But you can barely keep your things tidy as it is. Am I supposed to give you lego that you go spreading around everywhere? No, I don't think so.
Girl: But you said I could have whatever I wanted!
:smith:

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Jut posted:

New things in the instructions...New bits at each stage are surrounded with a red line, and black bricks have a white line around the studs.
After trying to rebuild my MTT I really wish they did this before, IDing dark bley from black is a pain.

Wow, that's good to hear. Hope it applies to other new sets as well.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Merchant of Death posted:

•LEGO 9500 Sith Fury Class Interceptor ($89.99 USD / $119.99 CAD)

Hurr, I knew it!

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Flick missiles make for excellent joints for small scale mecha MOCs. I have no problem with their inclusion, just don't put them on if you hate them so.

Yeah, at least they stand out to such a degree you can just remove them without lessening the design of the set.

I wonder if Monster Fighters will be replacing the standard space/sci-fi theme this year? The theme seems more extensive than Pharaoh's Quest. Space Police III was replaced immediately by Alien Conquest, wasn't it?

E: spelling

Captain Scandinaiva fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 26, 2012

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

So I found the Res-Q Cruiser used, not complete but close enough. Really liked the Res-Q line when I was young but only got one set (that van-thing). Since I've seen and enjoyed others in this thread posting stop motion videos of the building process, I decided to try my hand at that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc7ypFAFNl0

Didn't think of putting any music to it. :downs:

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Went to a local toy store today and found a box of series 7 minifigs. Picked up four. Three wins (two Programmers, one Space marine) and one dud (Little Red Riding Hood, mistook her basket for a bagpipe). Felt through every bag left in the box, a little surprised I didn't find more Space marines since they're supposed to be fairly common.

Gonna give one of the programmer minifigs to a friend for his birthday. :3:

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Thank you, Gravy Jones. I was going to type something passive aggressive but you worded it a lot better and more coherent.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I don't know, I can't really fault Lego for going with a girls line. Their stuff was mostly gender-neutral for decades, and it was still a toy predominently chosen by boys. It's not like girls were scared off because the minifigs skewed male. They gave it their best and girls as a whole were not all that interested. There's only so much can you do without forcing the toys into someones unwilling hand. At least with a girls line then some girls will be more interested in Lego, and as they get older they'll be exposed to more of the main Lego lines and be all that more receptive to Lego in any shape or form. Hopefully that'll lead to a trickle-down effect with their eventual kids and eventually both sexes will be equally enthralled with Lego.

Those videos posted earlier gave the picture of LEGO deliberately switching tactics and marketing heavy towards boys though. Not saying you're lying or anything, I'd just like some source either way; LEGO being forced by a changing market or changing the market themselves. What about Paradisa? That line ran for a while iirc (and since it was a sub-theme of town, with normal minifigs, they had proper access to emergency services :colbert:)

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

I really want the Western theme to make a comeback.

What happened to that western Cuscoo set?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

osici posted:

Haunted house set

drat, I looked at the pic and thought it was an MOC for sure.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

So I finished my bachelor's degree and got me a little something from ebay: 7326 Rise of the Sphinx!

A few pieces missing but I got it for ~$18 including shipping so I'm okay with that. Pretty fun build, except for the four identical legs. Not sure what I'll end up doing with all those tan and dark red pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

So a new toy store opened up near where I live and they're having 50% off on all Lego tomorrow. Based on other stores in the same chain I think they will mostly have City, Star Wars, Ninjago and Creator. Maybe a few sets from other current and previous themes but no UCS or modulars.

I'll be looking to pick something up for myself but I also thought I'd buy something to sell online. If I can buy it for 50% and sell it for 75-100% of the retail price I'll make money and not feel like a bastard.

I'm just wondering if I should look for or avoid anything in particular? Like Ninjago, is that easy to sell second hand or is the market saturated by retail? Should I just look for the biggest price tag?