Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Hey LeGoons, I recently got back into lego model making having not properly used it for a long while. I found someone on EBay who was selling the Lego Architecture Studio set for a reasonable amount.
It was an impulse purchase, but it turned out to work out really well when I made a few models of houses we had designed in the office. I still have to sell a set onto a client, but most weekends I put together a model or two and see how the materials look.

Sets I've picked up so far:
  • Architecture - Studio
  • Architecture - Great Wall of China
  • Architecture - Empire State Building
  • Overwatch - DVa and Reinhardt set
  • Overwatch - Big Bastion set
  • A bulk order of extra blocks to make models

I hope to post up some pictures when I can. I've been having a great time reading through the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Here's a bad photo of the Overwatch models I picked up earlier in the week.

The limited posing you can do with Reinhardt and DVa is a bit annoying, but they were fun to build and have a lot of useful pieces for future models.
Bastion was a beast though, so many ball sockets. The transformation to Turret mode needs some work though, it felt really unbalanced.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Zedd posted:

Great choice of game in the background, I assume you are a BR King?

Just needed a background that didn't overpower the models, but yeah, I suffered through that thing all those years ago.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Just passed by a pop up church operating out of an old clothes store. It had a poster looking for Lego Master builders for making lego bible scenes...

It's spreading!

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

ElwoodCuse posted:

For a month with cool stuff coming out there's a serious lack of spend xx get yy promos. Definitely gonna wait a while before picking up anything

I ordered a bunch of spare parts from the Pick a Brick section and got the promotional Pelican Creator set. Weirdly they came separate - so I was freaking out when a large Lego box arrived with only the small pelican... They were coming from separate countries but I was terrified that some stole my lego!

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I came home to discover that Lego had sent me a duplicate set of my previous Pick a Brick order. Free Lego is good Lego I guess, but I sent them an email through as they didn't charge and the website lists the 2nd order as Cancelled / Delivered...

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
If Terry Cruz was so famous, he would have been in Overwatch or Saints Row, instead of Crackdown 3. Looks pretty washed up to me. :smuggo:

Back to Lego stuff, I got the Statue of Liberty set, a great looking build that'll keep me in tan blocks for a while.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Went looking for potential gifts for my year old niece and proceeded to get lost in the Lego section, they had a bunch of Creator sets that were discontinued and I had to pull myself away.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I got a Falling Water set from eBay recently that had some dusty blocks and cat hair. I used some dish wash and water to clean up the bricks and rebuilt it once dried.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Fallingwater is painless compared to stuff like Capital Building with all it's weird sideways glass and single blocks.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Tech bros was kind of lack luster, Newly Wed's was drat good though. Someone needs to calm the artist guy down though, Holy poo poo.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

The crescent space station? Lackluster? I'm going to disagree and say it was the most impressive thing built so far. The thing was gorgeous.

It's too bad the roller coaster in ep 1 got fried when it was moved. I'd love to see more detail on that thing. Really interesting build.

The train tracks with more lego stuck to it looked bad to me, can't put my finger on why. But the hexagon structural elements did look nice.

But the Newly Weds did it for me visually and structurally.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I can live without special guests on realities shows. Only go for it if they bring something to the table like a twist to a challenge.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I'm kind of pissed that the preview for next weeks episode showed way too much... But the latest episode made for good background noise while I sorted out my own Lego boxes.

PowerBeard fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 28, 2020

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I can understand the whole Tell a Story bit, it's to stop contestants going overboard and just building to their strengths. I think every team so far are well capable of creating amazing builds, but creating builds with a theme a young kid can understand is very important.

As for the Lord and Miller mash up of genres, that was a bit chaotic, but I can understand they they didn't just give everyone complimentary genres like Thriller and Fantasy. Also it led to two sharks in love and I can't hate that.

I managed to sort some more boxes last night, man do I have way too much sandstone lego. I might need more boxes just to keep that stuff in check. Right now I'm purely sorting by colour, but if it becomes too hectic, I'll try to divide those up a bit more.

On the plus side, a Client of ours wants his lego house model and I've made the manual up and packaged the bricks.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

OSU_Matthew posted:

Sorry if this is a stupid newbie question, but do you bespoke lego?

Because I totally didn’t know that was a thing and if so it’s super rad

I make models out of most of our designs and we show them off to Clients. This one wanted to buy it off of me, so I made up an instruction manual and priced up the model for him.

Roof top pieces were painfully expensive though.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

Those do pass the Swoosh Test and the Pew-Pew Appraisal

Is the Typewriter Swooshable?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

pzy posted:

I blame.... globalists!

Who do Flat Earthers blame?

In Lego related posting, I picked up the 3 in 1 Pirate Creator set and having a blast with it. Love the firing cannons and the hideout tavern was great fun. Will move onto making the Skull Island this weekend.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Snowmankilla posted:

I didn’t even know that was out. Fun build? I want a smaller pirate ship to add to my ship in a bottle shelf.

It's a decent size for the pirate ship, great part usage and some fun techniques. You build the shark instead of having the old lego shark model. Plus have the cannons fire takes me back.

The tavern hideout is also a good build, with the planks from the ship being used to form the roof. The waterwheel and ivy are a nice touch.

Still have the Skull Island to build, but I'm most hyped for that one. All in all great value for the €100 I got it for. Plus it has a bunch of unique parts I can use for other models.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

DrChu posted:

I wish I had found this thread years ago, who knew it was hidden away in DIY?

A couple years back I started recollecting Lego, mainly concentrating on all the classic space sets I never had as a kid. In that time I've acquired way too many sets (mostly by buying larger lots of unsorted pieces) and for the past few months have begun ebaying off my extra sets. For the most part I've been doing it in complete themes as its less hassle for me that way.

And the set I currently have up for auction:

Including the first MOC I've done in forever:

In the near future will be Blacktron I and Futuron at least, and then after that I'm not sure what direction I want to go with the hobby. My original goal was only all the classic (non-sub themed) space sets, which I know I'm at least 98% complete at, but after that I don't know if I'll get rid of them too as they will mostly just sit in containers otherwise. Half the fun so far has been getting large unsorted collections and working backwards trying to figure out what sets they were originally when all I have to go on are a couple specialty pieces and minifigs, but it also is a huge time sink. I also have a huge assortment of random non-space sets because of this, all of which have to go because I'm running out of room.

Before I sound too gloomy about this, I will say that I do like the modern sets that I have built and Lego building techniques have advanced so much from the early Legoland sets. Like the Galaxy Explorer is a just whole bunch of plates stacked on top of each other surrounding a box. And almost all the old bases are kinda disappointing and in hindsight I'm glad I got more ships as a kid instead of them.

:drat: :perfect:

Why did you post those, I maybe owned one or two of the Ice Planet sets and now I have the hunger again.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Hopefully none of the money from the minifigs goes to Rowling. :(

I just finished the Fast & Furious Dodge Charger. It's been a long time since I messed with Technic and boy this things a beast. A lot of fun part usage though and I could see it making an awesome robot with some extra parts.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Thread challenge: build a four wheeled vehicle that can seat/carry at least four minifgures.

I know I'm getting DQ'ed for this, but I finally finished it the other day, the Fast and Furious Dodge Carger with the cast of Friends, or F&F&F.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

Can't wait to buy Lego Bank Heist in 2022.

Emptyquote as heck!

Seriously, these ideas look amazing

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Carbohydrates posted:

it's pretty fun tbh

Also, a cool thing I have found while getting set up on Buildamoc: they make it actually really easy to add alternate color options. So now, instead of just the Sand Green with which I initially built it, I can offer the C10 in multiple 70s-rear end colors!

Why... why do this to me? Just enter them already and become Lego Famous!

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
You order the gold coins... Finally, you can add them to your collection. They come to the door, you carefully open the packaging. But you don't notice the tiny hole forming in the bottom of the bag. All at once, they spray forth from the bag, you try to stop it but only catch one or two. Your floor is a minefield of tiny, shiny coins that you now have to spend the evening sweeping up and hoping you find them all. You never do.

Thank you for listening to my spooky tale of terror.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Noice, though to be fair they should just dedicate an entire section to your wild west stuff and do it properly.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Frozen Peach posted:

Debating what to put together next. I have several unbuilt sets...

Mini Cooper
All the Overwatch sets
NES + TV
Modular Pet Shop

Probably going to go with the NES...

The Overwatch sets are nice and satisfying to build, I have the large scale Bastion (I bought a second one because it was marked down recently) and the Dva / Reinhardt set and the colour and parts usage are really satisfying.

But yeah, the NES should be first.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Ice Planet, Blacktron and Bionicle voted for. I can see a rush of Bionicle votes coming in though.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Edit: Wrong Thread

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
In the spirit of posting about sets you bought, I tried ordering the Halloween set over the weekend and met with an error. I checked my Credit card / Paypal and everything seemed fine, so I tried again. It worked the second time, but then got two rapid emails showing both orders. So now I'm going to have to try call Lego / email them as soon as possible to see if I'm getting charged twice / two sets are getting sent out to me.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I have carried out a massive reorganization session and now have freed up a couple of shelves. I could probably fix 3 rows of 3 Base plates, so I will plan out a fun little town / village street scape and go from there.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Wait, Bonks won, holy poo poo!

Sad to see that Ice Planet and Blacktron were so far down the list.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

I'm now having flashbacks to the Oz version of Lego Masters and the Cade scale Delorean... :stare:

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Brick-xit strikes again!

PowerBeard fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 8, 2021

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

AllisonByProxy posted:

I've been seeing ads for this! I wonder if the brick pit format will be changed to be in line with social distancing protocols...

https://twitter.com/arnettwill/status/1380343789991043073

Can't wait! We just need to find a way to sneak Carbohydrates on.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

davebo posted:

We enjoyed watching season 1 just recently and wanted more. Did anyone bother downloading the uk or australian versions? Are they worthwhile?

Australian seasons are great. The UK seasons are very rough and it feels like there was no budget at all put into it.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Kale isn't that bad, he's just got strong sleezeball / magic performer energy going on.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
So on episode 9 of Australian Lego Masters, one of the teams created a scoreboard with :420: :69snypa:

Shut it down, give them the title!

PowerBeard fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 4, 2021

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
No buy unless the Turkey fits over Joey's head.

Plus it would mean owning multiple Ross's, which is kinda cursed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Feels like cheating if you have to take the heads off.