Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I specifically targeted sellers with old grey and old light grey for my previous MOC.

I ended up using about 60% LBG, 20% DBG, 6% OG 6% ODG, 4% Tan, 2% Dark Tan and 2% Sand Blue. Livens up everything so much. The MOCs in similar style to mine built in all LBG look very sterile.

I opted to not use white even though that could also be used for this type of building (saltpetre runoff)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I had a lunchtime tech talk and decided to keep my fingers busy.

Emmet isn't exactly the mini that looks most like me, but that fig is at the office to which I haven't been since July.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol perfect!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I'm working with a very limited set of bricks, but I need to do something about the "back wall" since it's held on just by 2 studs that are in shear. It was fun sifting through the bottom of my bin to find all the greebles though.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXGNqkmrcQI

This was a fun and weird bit.

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Those would be good “fill” pieces for the inside of anything you might want to build so I’d hang on to them. Too much effort to sell, too valuable to give away = keep and enjoy

This is a great shout, didn't think of using them as internal filler/structure pieces. Got some thick grey 'baseplates' from the late 90s (Rock Raiders and the like) that would make good foundations.

Sloppy posted:

Whatcha got?

Looking at a mix of lines from about '98 to '03. I'm seeing some Insectoids, Adventurers, old Harry Potter etc. Found a segment of original Millennium Falcon today, so I'm sure there's a lot of Star Wars mixed in here. I'll see how much old grey I have when I get to the end, would be keen to send to a UK Goon if I knew they'd get use out of it!

So far I'm having fun doing something that kid-me would have loathed: sorting it all out into little trays. I didn't think the sorting could be as therapeutic as the building, but here we are!

While I'm posting about Lego, I'm so happy with my Beatles portrait set I got for Xmas. Very relaxing to do and I now have another worthy addition for the Ringo Wall.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I feel like I'm a bit of a weirdo in that I happily mix old and new grey without a second thought. My main interest is vintage Lego, but I do alot of MOCs of vintage themes in more modern styles. IMO there's too many cool parts that are only available in one grey or the other, so to me there's no point in separating the two.

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I feel like I'm a bit of a weirdo in that I happily mix old and new grey without a second thought. My main interest is vintage Lego, but I do alot of MOCs of vintage themes in more modern styles. IMO there's too many cool parts that are only available in one grey or the other, so to me there's no point in separating the two.

Nah, I'm definitely at peace with being the weirdo for NOT wanting to mix the greys. When they changed the colour when I was a kid, it stuck out like a sore thumb and I avoided it for ages. Can't explain it, it's entirely personal, just doesn't look right to me when I mix them.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Hah, I was going to ask if anyone had been following the Lego/Doof warrior stuff on Seth Meyers this week but you beat me to it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

OSU_Matthew posted:

That really sucks man... hang in there, hopefully a few of these sets can help get you through till we’re on the other side of this pandemic and you don’t have to cut too deep. Absolutely boggles my mind that the government hasn’t done more to step in and help individuals throughout all of this, I don’t know what people are thinking. If things don’t turn around in time for you, please let us know—I’d love to chip in and help out :unsmith:

Aw thanks. :) Definitely a ways away from that point, but I appreciate the offer.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
So I was thinkin' about Assembly Square yesterday, and how some of the interiors are just a little sparse, such as the music shop.

(photo credit: Brickset)

I decided that what it was missing (to me) was an aplifier or two for the guitars in there. After some tinkering today, I made one! And then a few more, because I was having fun.

I'll probably use these for something else in the future now.

(streaming tonight in 25 mins!)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Speaking of sprucing up Assembly Square has anybody seen any good ideas for BBQ area on the roof of the centre building?

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Hot dog cart. Why’s it up there? gently caress you that’s why.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Oh man those amps look great!

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Chris Pistols posted:

This is a great shout, didn't think of using them as internal filler/structure pieces. Got some thick grey 'baseplates' from the late 90s (Rock Raiders and the like) that would make good foundations.

Looking at a mix of lines from about '98 to '03. I'm seeing some Insectoids, Adventurers, old Harry Potter etc. Found a segment of original Millennium Falcon today, so I'm sure there's a lot of Star Wars mixed in here. I'll see how much old grey I have when I get to the end, would be keen to send to a UK Goon if I knew they'd get use out of it!

So far I'm having fun doing something that kid-me would have loathed: sorting it all out into little trays. I didn't think the sorting could be as therapeutic as the building, but here we are!

Not a UK goon so probably not worth the postage. I'm with you on the sorting though; I get the same zen state that I do with a good puzzle.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

a sexual elk posted:

Hot dog cart. Why’s it up there? gently caress you that’s why.

I have actually eaten at a rooftop hot dog cart before, extreme drunk fun

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Speaking of sprucing up Assembly Square has anybody seen any good ideas for BBQ area on the roof of the centre building?

I added another table for two, a menu on a post at the entrance and basically it’s kind of a “chefs table” dining experience/mini restaurant. The area with the built in ladder above has been fenced in with a few trees in to make a sort of rooftop garden patio. The one with the skylight I added a bunch of plants and turned into a parrot sanctuary. It’s still a work in progress but I also felt it could do with some improvement or customization.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Carbohydrates posted:

I decided that what it was missing (to me) was an aplifier or two for the guitars in there. After some tinkering today, I made one! And then a few more, because I was having fun.

I'll probably use these for something else in the future now.[/sub]

These are all genius but the yellow ones are more genius than the others

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

FBS posted:

These are all genius but the yellow ones are more genius than the others

It's great and all (that printed tile is inspired), but I'd recognise that Vox a mile a way.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Late to colorposting but I really like this thing (pricey, though):

https://wlwyb-shop.com/products/periodic-table-for-lego-colors

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

It's pronounced like "woof" not like "roof".

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
I miss the days of old where you could have the next month's calendar right at the first of the current month. I was thinking about buying some Lego and I usually wait till there's a good freebie. Harder to do that now that I can't see two months worth of calendars.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
P sweet looking Delorean
https://twitter.com/5eno_/status/1360213004185264135

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

I'm now having flashbacks to the Oz version of Lego Masters and the Cade scale Delorean... :stare:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

tuo posted:

Late to colorposting but I really like this thing (pricey, though):

https://wlwyb-shop.com/products/periodic-table-for-lego-colors
Totally forgot that someone up thread asked for a pic. So better late than never! (Plus I had to put it on my fridge because the walls in this place are a bit yellow)

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Carbohydrates posted:

So I was thinkin' about Assembly Square yesterday, and how some of the interiors are just a little sparse, such as the music shop.

(photo credit: Brickset)

I'll probably use these for something else in the future now.

(streaming tonight in 25 mins!)
These are sooo cute. Could someone who is a little more brick savvy explain how they're put together? My partner and I just got back into LEGO (last time was when we were both kids) and she's a sound designer/composer so she loves the music stuff, I wanna order the bricks for these.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Wow, definitely one of the best I've ever seen. So much care put into the body panel shaping! It's easy to get lost in all the details doing a Delorean, but seeing all those angles coming together is amazing.

Also, the more I look at the Blacksmith Shop, the more I want it. I don't collect Castle or dabble in it much at all, but I want to support everything LEGO did with that set: civilian castle stuff, no stickers, creative design work, etc. It's just such a beautiful piece.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Star Guarded posted:

These are sooo cute. Could someone who is a little more brick savvy explain how they're put together? My partner and I just got back into LEGO (last time was when we were both kids) and she's a sound designer/composer so she loves the music stuff, I wanna order the bricks for these.
Here you go!

yellow amp
white amp
"Blox" amp

As for how to order, typically you'd head over to bricklink.com and make a wishlist of whatever parts you need. Ordering through BL is kind of a whole topic that I'll leave to someone better than me at explaining it. I'll save you some time, though: here's a wishlist with the pieces for all three. Download and then upload this to Bricklink and order, or modify as desired.

edit: I didn't include the little black one because it's kind of weak compared to the others.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 13, 2021

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Man I was getting so bummed out sorting through all my Star Wars sets. I thought that I had serious colour degradation on all these grey parts, in addition to the already worrying amount of white yellowing going on.

Turns out I'd forgotten about the "light bluish grey" divide around 2003, so when I did my last big "take apart & rebuild" I'd just mixed everything together. I'd normally not care but I'm trying to sell this stuff and I'd rather take the effort to try to match everything as best I can. :)

Like this poo poo looks burned:

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 13, 2021

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Chris Knight posted:

Man I was getting so bummed out sorting through all my Star Wars sets. I thought that I had serious colour degradation on all these grey parts, in addition to the already worrying amount of white yellowing going on.

Turns out I'd forgotten about the "light bluish grey" divide around 2003, so when I did my last big "take apart & rebuild" I'd just mixed everything together. I'd normally not care but I'm trying to sell this stuff and I'd rather take the effort to try to match everything as best I can. :)

Like this poo poo looks burned:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retr0bright

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

quote:

There are also some concerns that the process weakens the plastic

Any longterm data on that?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's also the issue where sometimes the plastic can re-yellow even without ever seeing the sun again. Some quick googling says that the chemical causing yellowing might be deep within the plastic and retro-brighting only removes the surface layer, and more can come to the surface over time.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I've not particularly bothered with the minifigure lines but was in a shop with my girlfriend the other day and picked out a couple that felt interesting. Surfer and Centaur! Looking at the line up, I don't think we could have chosen better. Although now I can feel the pull to go back and feel out the rest of the collection, as I like the beekeeper, and the ladybird, and the aztec warrior and dammit lego

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I ended up getting two beekeepers the other day. I didn’t really feel up the bag but they felt bulky and I’d hoped one was space police.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Butterfly Valley posted:

I've not particularly bothered with the minifigure lines but was in a shop with my girlfriend the other day and picked out a couple that felt interesting. Surfer and Centaur! Looking at the line up, I don't think we could have chosen better. Although now I can feel the pull to go back and feel out the rest of the collection, as I like the beekeeper, and the ladybird, and the aztec warrior and dammit lego

Be careful it can get out of hand! I’ve got about 300 mini figs for display now and growing.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

https://twitter.com/MegaConstrux/status/1360967095882821637?s=19

Whatever happened with the Lego one? On the one hand I'm happy for more Mega stuff, on the other, oof, it seems to use a ton of specialized new molds. In other photos it seems like the whole neck is a complete new piece, which to me is OK, but even I have to agree it's against the spirit of the thing

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

There's also the issue where sometimes the plastic can re-yellow even without ever seeing the sun again. Some quick googling says that the chemical causing yellowing might be deep within the plastic and retro-brighting only removes the surface layer, and more can come to the surface over time.
Yeah I was reading a pretty good retro computing blogpost about just that: a couple of the systems he had "fixed" started re-yellowing again. Looks like heat contributes to the colour changing too, not just strictly UV exposure.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So someone in the GBS Toys thread suggested I ask this here, so maybe you folks can help me.
Also lego rocks, just sayin'.

But yeah: "So lord knows I have no idea where else to ask this so I'll try here.
I remember as a kid in the 90s having some not-legos that had like a mad scientist flavor to them. I remember like one of the pieces was like a helicopter blade except it was a long gross tongue.
I've been trying to remember the name of it for ages. I believe it even was something advertised on tv, although might be wrong there?"

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So someone in the GBS Toys thread suggested I ask this here, so maybe you folks can help me.
Also lego rocks, just sayin'.

But yeah: "So lord knows I have no idea where else to ask this so I'll try here.
I remember as a kid in the 90s having some not-legos that had like a mad scientist flavor to them. I remember like one of the pieces was like a helicopter blade except it was a long gross tongue.
I've been trying to remember the name of it for ages. I believe it even was something advertised on tv, although might be wrong there?"

I can't find anything matching this. Are you sure it was Lego knockoff? Were they actually Lego-like, or did you like swap monster parts?

Were you in the US then? Can you remember anything else about the brand or toy line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The only knock off legos I remember seeing on TV in the 90s was those round ones where the only thing you could do with them was make a crown or make a big sheet and then roll them up.