Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

That looks dope and I want it as soon as possible. I've never tried to buy a LEGO set at release, what's my best option for getting one? I'm within driving distance of the Dallas and Frisco LEGO stores, should I try to get one from the store or try to get in on the first window of online orders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I just drove to more B&N stores than I care to admit.

None of them had the Saturn V out for sale or even space on the shelves to display it.

FBS fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 28, 2017

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I think I'm going to spend an hour of leave to drop by the LEGO store when it opens tomorrow. I need my fix.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I got there 5 minutes before opening and there were already a dozen people lined up, and another six or seven behind me by the time I checked out.

The cashier said she wasn't sure how many they had so I have no idea how the people behind me fared.

I probably can't start the build til Friday night :suicide:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Forgive the anecdote but I'm not a regular Lego customer at all - I've only bought one other set for myself as an adult - but the Saturn V was compelling enough to get me standing in line in the mall this morning.

The size and the modularity make it a good display piece and the price is low enough that I won't second-guess spending money on it. Plus space poo poo is loving cool.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I got The Itch today, and nearly ran out and picked up the Technic Porsche which I've had my eye on for a long time. Instead, I spent three hours on the Lego Internet and found out about the Bugatti Chiron.

From the leaked box photos:
https://i.imgur.com/xK7fWnr.jpg
https://bricksafe.com/files/Didumos/miscellaneous/1.jpg
I like the look of the overall model better than the Porsche. If the feature set is similar and the price isn't totally absurd I may be trying another launch-day purchase like I did with the Saturn V.

There was also some time spent shopping discontinued sets but so far I've been able to resist. Once that seal is broken I think I will be completely lost :rip:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Ultimate Mango posted:

Will the Chiron have a working gearbox? It looks to have the W engine which is cool, but the gearbox in the 911 is incredible.

We probably won't find out until the launch event on 6/1. With the parts count increase over the 911 I hope they include something very similar, I'm mostly looking forward to a technically complicated build.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

https://m.imgur.com/a/Yt7bQnm
Looks like a transmission to me

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I'm really torn about whether to go pick one up after work today. I just did Destiny's Bounty last weekend so that would be more than $500 on Lego in the span of a week. On the other hand I know I'm going to buy it eventually so :homebrew:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

They just put the handles on the shipping carton :lol: dude said it was to keep the actual box pristine

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

veni veni veni posted:

Is there supposed to be a Lego store promo going on? In all of my excitement of getting Ninjago City I didn't think about how all I got for buying a $300 set was a drat Groot keychain. Like, they usually give me 3 times that much poo poo when I spend 1/4 that much.

The storybook promo starts on 6/04 I think

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

veni veni veni posted:

ARGH! That things is awesome too. I wonder if I could beg one out of them if I bring my receipt lol. Probably not

Well if you try it and have success then let me know!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

ivantod posted:

So, what are the reactions to Chiron so far?

Based on Sariel's review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FNqYz_uD6w

It seems to me that while it's a really good looking set, it looks to be more of the same compared to the Porsche just with perhaps some slight improvements. The most impressive thing seems to be again the gearbox, but it appears to suffer from the same issue as Porsche, that when it's finished it's difficult to actually see any of the technical elements in action...

I finished Bags 1-4 last night, and I'm having a blast, but I already know I won't have any desire for the Porsche when I'm done.

Thr transmission being buried in the completed set wouldn't bother me but it's pretty much buried already at this stage in my build and the shifter isn't even hooked up yet. So even while building you don't really get to see it working.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I've got so many black pins left over after each bag I'm certain that I missed something important

veni veni veni posted:

At least they sort of fill them out now instead of it just being a skeleton

This is why I decided against the 42077 Rally Car despite my love of rally racing, it looks like an empty skeleton

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

xzzy posted:

Dear lego please make a million sets in the mad max themed world.

:yeah:

I don't care if the movie sucks if we get some cool sets out of it tbh

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

PRO-TIP: Don't bump into a 6-foot shelf and knock your UCS kit over. :rip:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

stolen from Reddit but cool as hell:

https://gfycat.com/GleamingMaleCreature

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I've always used a hobby knife.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

That's dumb, no way can 3D printed parts work as regular bricks let alone technic axles and - wait what's that in the middle there

:suspense:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Waltzing Along posted:

It was for ship to store. For store pickup, it was the store price. Made no sense at all. Apparently, the website and store inventory are on two different systems.

how did these knuckleheads survive to be the last major bookstore chain?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I'm moving this week and I appreciate how the Bugatti fits neatly into the box it came in, if you take the lower front bumper off.

Everything else is just going in boxes with lots of packing paper and crossed fingers. I already have to rebuild the Slave I but hopefully everything else survives.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

It's a video camera you dweebs

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

So the little shelf thing between the kitchen and living room in my new place is perfect for the Saturn V:

I've also got a ton of potential display space on top of the kitchen cabinets but I'm worried about gunking stuff up, is that a bad idea?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Plinkey posted:

For those maybe one or two of you out there without it, Saturn V on sale for 104.99.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071G3QMS2

Apparently expires soon.

I almost want to buy it just to have a spare :v:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Cojawfee posted:

What does frustration free packaging mean for a Lego set? I thought that was where they sell toys without lots of zip ties and whatnot.

Usually it means you can open the shipping carton without a knife.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

quote:

The machine cleans 70 balls per minutes.

:yeshaha:

This page has been my first exposure to both GBC and Lego conventions in general, I'll have to keep an eye out for both in the future.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

those helmet proportions are way off

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Scipiotik posted:

Went for the winter fire station. Got double points, diagon alley freebie and Christmas box freebie. Nearly 700 pieces of free stuff. Good deal.

I went out and finally got Ninjago City because of this post. Nice going!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

My legos were the one toy I was always going to keep, and my parents understood that. (I do miss my micro machines sometimes but they found a better place, Toy Story 3 style).

Luckily, my brother was never as into them as I was. I don't know how it was gonna go down if I had to fight my sibling for our mixed collection.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

It's outrageous how much they simplified these sets labeled as ages 4+

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Mad Max Batman is almost enough to make me like the LEGO Movie Batman character

e: evidently a new trailer drops tomorrow

FBS fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 20, 2018

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Thread title is good irregardless of what some diamond dozen goons think.

I can start building Ninjago City tonight after work since I don't have jack poo poo planned for Thanksgiving. This is nearly as bad as than the day before RDR2.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The last couple pages are making me grateful for my total lack of nostalgia for Classic Space. Y'all have fun buying them up though :wave:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Sockser posted:

I would buy every single set in an Ice Planet sequel line

:same:

Deep Freeze Defender was the first "big" set I ever got.

Transparent Orange Chainsaw is my formative memory

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Podracers suck because 2001 was when my love for both Star Wars and LEGO started to die. I'm traumatized. #7171 was the last time I got a LEGO set for my birthday.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

https://twitter.com/JenLucPiquant/status/1066550302680084480

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

a sexual elk posted:

Fiancé got me UCS Slave 1, hell of a build. I’m still to terrified to put the cockpit stickers on, don’t know if I’ll ever try to be honest haha.

I did mine quite drunk, you should be just fine tbh

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Feels like I dodged a bullet but for whatever reason this set doesn't do much for me. It's the first big-dollar Ninjago set that I don't really want.

vvv e: maybe that has something to do with it :downs:

FBS fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

CommanderApaul posted:

There's a ton of easter eggs in the set too. The Model Team 5571 Truck engine compartment and cab are rebuilt into a bathtub and shower (complete with yellow rubber frog)

This sentence completely changed my opinion of the set fyi

Model Team was loving fantastic