Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I ordered one of those fake-Lego Japanese storefront sets off Amazon, I'll let ya know how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Gotta have the 1701-D or no deal for me.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Well, the Cube DOES have 2 c pillars, it's just one is hidden from the exterior.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Both.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

We just moved into a new place with more space, so I'll soon be able to build this thing again..

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It's only 568 pieces! I believe it was around $120 when I bought it? That sticks out in my head as I had to earn the money and pay for it myself.

I have all the other Unitron and Spyrius sets too, so I can't set up a full display if I wanted to, heh.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Oxyclean posted:

don't gender a noun French challenge, difficulty: Impossible

Don't, like, most languages gender everything?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Seems like it's definitely more trouble than it's worth.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, but, Mushroom House.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Covid is spiking hardcore right now, so I'd expect to see more sporadic stuff like that. The Lego store in the mall by my house has always randomly had a line outside since everything reopened.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I haven't built my Orchid yet, but the Bird of Paradise set sat behind me in my home office for years and have stared a ton at it in context on a shelf with no other Lego around, and it just looks like a plant. The silhouette, shapes, and colors are pretty much true to life.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

What percentage residuals do the professional Lego designers get?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I like the Greenhouse, but I don't buy big sets anymore really, so I tend towards the compact ones.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'd much rather go see/buy and build/design myself a city layout made from Lego City, Friends, and 3-in-1 sets (the houses and buildings often have alternative houses and buildings as their bonus builds so you could even double or triple up) than one made out of the modulars. I think the modulars are super nice, obviously, but the other stuff is just way more over the top and not as "fun".

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Bought "pile of Legos" for 3½€. Knowers will know what I'm about to build. (I already had most of the pieces but someone - likely my nephew - has nicked some of the regular bricks, and the modern grays are a different colour for some loving reason.)

MechaWatermelon.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I cannot imagine having strong feelings about something like that.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hot take: Lego lighting kits are cool, but they're even cooler when you exercise the restraint that the people designing them can never muster and only put in, like, half the lights.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6LhK0wTemE Lego's doing a collaboration design contest with Lo-Fi Girl, aka Lo-Fi Beats To Relax/Study To.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

esperantinc posted:

Finally a LEGO plant set I want to buy!

:chloe:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ok, well, uh.. load the cars into that then.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Dig the upside down overhang slope as the staple form plate.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

This post is amazing because one, I can understand it completely, and two, I can also read it in a way that makes me feel like I'm having a stroke and words don't matter any more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJKdh1KZ0w

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

smackfu posted:

Wow, that Houses of the World series has to be one of the toughest to complete. All in one year, $250 minimum purchase each, and not always even in stock!

I have the first 2, but I just bought them off Bricklink, heh.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Cool things are cool. Neat things are neat. Fun things are fun. Parents know this as they are forced to engage with childish silly poo poo all the time and, surprise! a lot of it is unironically, genuinely delightful, joyful, and fun!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Those aren't Fabuland :colbert:

Resurrecting Fabuland for Animal Crossing is something that never occurred to me, though, lol. I forgot all about Fabuland.

Edit: drat, Fabuland was awesome. I'd love a modern revival with sets that weren't quite so Duplo. That logo is just :discourse:

mutata fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 5, 2023

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It's ok, that's how I've felt about American football my whole life and I've gotten through it so far.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Poor dears.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I do not see that slide in that link, heh.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I just ordered a bunch of replacement white pieces for the yellowing bits of my Deep Freeze Defender. Even then, some of the parts are only available in old yellowing versions. I did the hydrogen peroxide and UV light thing in 2020, but they're yellowing again already. I should try again but with actual UV lights instead of just using the sun.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

DrChu posted:

Do you really think a consumer level blacklight is going to be more powerful than the sun?

No but there's probably a chance I can set up a proper 360-degree LED UV curing set up that would be more controllable and even than stuffing all the Legos into a mason jar and sticking it in my rain gutter for half a day.

Plus I live in New England where the sun never shines for longer than an hour at a time.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Well, drat. That one's kind of pretty awesome. The part of me that really enjoyed the whole "infinity saga" part of the MCU but hasn't really found a ton of interest in much since kinda wants that as a display piece, heh.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hey, Roadblock's Special Helmet Juice goes for big bucks on the toy trading black market.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Lego did NOT like you having that choice, apparently.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I always thought that the chase and the surprise and the artificial rarity (it all is artificial), and the "blind" part of the blind bag was the whole point of the model.

mutata fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 14, 2023

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

obi_ant posted:

Oy, guess I’ll wait until November 1st to buy the Viking Village and the giant minifigure, so I get the GWP. I really want the house, but $250 is so much.

The Houses go for, like, $30 new on Bricklink if you really want them. I have the first 2 and have the next 2 on order/

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I want the giant spaceman.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

What kind of price do people charge for shipping those sets, I really want them too. The lack of that has put me off using the site as I have no idea how much they’re going to charge, and you don’t see the price until you’ve essentially committed to buying right?

It's hit or miss. I've gotten small sets shipped for $10 from Europe to US, but also I've had people want to charge a lot. You kinda have to browse a bit.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Olive green is a very very common "naturalist" color in the US, super common in forestry, conservation, national parks, outdoor recreation, nature studies, geology, etc., never mind the connections to various uniforms for scouting, outdoorsman orgs, armies, civil corps, etc. It's a perfect color for a general Smalltown America Natural History Museum, which I guess is unfortunate if you dislike olive green, heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'd reckon its an amalgam of Americana generic museum motifs, which all draw a lot from LA, NYC, and the Smithsonian: