Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler
I felt the urge to build something castle-like in the style of a diorama. Enjoy my rock fortress.
It's 64x64 bricks, rather restricted color palette, and can be expanded upon. I'm considering adding a small lake with an underwater connection with some cavern beneath a grate of sorts in the large cavern.

If anyone's interested, i can upload the .lxf file somewhere.

Click here for the full 1280x859 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler
how about the hitech concept?

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler
done and doner

btw, when opening it, the actuators sometimes don't show up because they are supposedly wrongly placed or something.

you can easily add them back in

pad thai hi-five fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 4, 2010

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler
Once again felt the need to share. You might remember the LDD castle diorama. I'm currently expanding on it, adding a subterrenean lake under a grate in the treasury/armory cave. It'll have a small opening with a waterfall to the outside into that little lake with the landing:

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler
I'm not sure about cost right now, but it should be frightening.
I seem to remember a program that could somehow create bricklink price lists from .lxf files, I'll give that a shot when it's done.

I've gone mad lately and keep walking into any old toy shop i see, looking for interesting LEGO sets. Some of those little shops have older (as in 2007/08) sets collecting dust in a corner, and let them go for crazy discounts, growing my stockpile of bricks every week.

I also just learned of the existence of "value" or "super" packs of LEGO sets. Got the big building site set plus concrete mixer and front loader for € 39,90 at TRU.
While I was there, I also got the blue version of the LEGO delivery 18-wheeler and big CITY tracked crane.

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler
Slowly it grows:

Added ducks and a skeleton, as well as a spider. Working on a mounting solution for bats.

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler

Ika posted:

I just was in a store that had a huge barrel full of the series 1 minifigures (germany). They must have had around a thousand of them left. I guess they overestimated demand here.

Do they ship internationally (Austria)?

Came across these guys today:

Click here for the full 1253x276 image.

I was at a shopping centre to get a key duplicated when i saw that tha toy store there had three boxes of the minifigs sitting at the register. I stopped by an hour later, when one of the boxes was already empty, with my barcode printout and got my fix.

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler
I'm basically covered, but i was considering getting extra zombies, astronauts, robots and nurses. It seems that the first series is all but gone here.

Click here for the full 1281x367 image.

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler
I admit that during my recent sorting spree I've gone on a bit of a Minifig bender:

Click here for the full 2048x1119 image.

Don't judge me.

The figures in the curver boxes are most of my old ones, sorted by castle, animals, space, pirates, fire and police forces, civilians, workmen and (marine mostly)rescue forces.

My main interest now is in Castle/Kingdom stuff, to populate and expand the diorama on the right. It's a smaller version of my LDD castle/treasure cave MOC.

That "vintage" minifig collection on the right was a blast from the past. I found two of the 1980 doctor torsos, and built a male and female doctor right away. I'm still not sure whether to order yellow heads and some brickarms stuff for the platoon, because I can't think of a military-themed MOC right now.

pad thai hi-five fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 17, 2010

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler

Commie posted:

I love lego but my skills are pretty meh. My anniversary is coming up soon and I thought I'd get my wife (who also loves lego, we spent last weekend building the imperial flagship and the halo pelican) a custom set. We just visited Amsterdam recently and my wife absolutely loves the architecture there so I thought I'd make her a Dutch canal house because I figured that's inside my skill range

Click here for the full 1680x923 image.

There are interiors which include staircases, hallways and apartments. They're not furnished because at some point it started to feel like I was playing the sims but in slow motion. I think this looks good but I've spent hours on this now in LDD and I think I've lost perspective. Thoughts?

Ok, that post made me prepare another image dump. I really like your house.

Built an RC buggy and a LEGO version of the house I grew up in. Once again, I chose a limited color palette sure to be readily available.

Click here for the full 1280x831 image.

And the buggy. I enjoyed futzing around trying to come up with something akin to independent suspension without dedicated technic suspension parts.

Vroom vroom.

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler
New van experiment. It's cable-remote-controlled, and I'm about to buy the necessary stuff to actually build it this time. I wanted to build something that could fit in with the Creator car stuff:

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler
I might have to buy that Unimog twice, it's looking amazing.

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler
OK, did a little bag-feeling, and ended up with this parade:

This is turning into an obsession. Considering I've got all of them at least twice (apart from the Wolfman, will have to try again some time next week), this is also starting to get expensive.

And the last LDD update, which I stupidly installed, seems to have removed tons of interesting bricks, as well as the Creator selection. At least Universe is still there.

Edit: Woohoo, thanks for pointing out that extende mode thing, afflictionwisp!

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler
I got a 7942 set in one of those value packs, and it inspired me to recreate a childhood memory.

I redid it in LDD, because I was missing some pieces, and i wasn't too happy about the wheels:

I kinda like it, if anyone wants the .lxf, I can put it on some file hosting service.

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler

King Faraday posted:

Sure, no idea when I would be able to build it, but that's pretty as heck. :)

Thank you.

http://rapidshare.com/files/456568589/landrover-feuerwehr.lxf

Hope this works.

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler
LDD fever hit me again, and I went about building a set of modular construction blocks for town house facades:

They are LDD-safe, and I'm sure someone can come up with nice palette swaps.

Here's an example build:

Here's the .lxf, If you create something new from this, please post it in this thread.

https://rapidshare.com/files/459100387/fassadenteile.lxf

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler

Guzwar posted:

Have base plates been completely removed from LDD? Even Universe mode doesn't seem to have them.

You're looking for Extended Mode, that's where everything is hiding now.

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/LEGO_Digital_Designer/Instructions_for_LDD_Extended_Palette

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler
Had a nice find today, a local toy store seems to have been sitting on some older stuff. Some of this i didn't even know about (LEGO Sports? Island Extreme Stunts?).

I got the boat motors for some future MOC, and the green bricks, because you can never have enough green.

I liked the various chromed parts in the two stunt sets.

The numbers were the prices. The Ferrari seems to go for about 250 EUR on Bricklink, and they have six more at the store. I'm sorely tempted.

I'll keep checking out local places whenever i pass one.

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler
Just finished building the Grand Emporium, which made me go back to my modular house stuff.

Decided to add something to mix up a row of buildings.

I'm parting it out and ordering from bricklink, will post the finished build.

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler
Lucky Luke and the Daltons

Edit: Ach..

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler
I bought the Campervan on a whim a while ago, awesome set with lots of lovely details.
I wasn't too happy about its "slammed" stance, though, and about how a Creator model with those Technic underpinnings didn't come with steering and an undriven engine.

I fixed that by dropping the wheels one brick height, adding a differential to drive the engine, and a compact steering mechanism. Needed quite a few changes to the van's body, but I quite like how it came out. No hand-of-god steering as of now, but I might add it later by putting a "spare" wheel on the roof.

After the build, inspired by some pictures I found online, I fired up LDD and went about building a camper to make a matching set:

I'm currently debating buying another van to actually build it. Should I do it, I'll post pictures.
If anyone is interested in the .lxf, pm me.

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler
I got the rendering stuff set up, and have been going through some LDD stuff from the past.
Here are a few pics I like:

Hope you like them.

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler
I usually have a pretty clear picture of what I want to build. The great advantage of LDD is being able to build in the air. I can get parts set up in a vacuum and fit them together once I have an idea of how to fit them together. One disadvantage at the moment is that LDD is 32bit only, which makes some models break the process limit.

For the campervan I used the instruction booklet for the van itself, and then I used copy and paste liberally to get the outer skin for the trailer set up floating at the right ride height, building down to the wheels and inside to create the interior.
I just remembered that I promised to post the .lxf for that, so here goes:

http://www.speedshare.org/download.php?id=31BAA1E21

I cheated with the engine mount, it's not true to the physical build, where the wheels actually drive the belt, because building inside is a chore what with the snap-to of the bricks. I'm still working on the hand-of-god steering setup, sadly it has to cross through the bench seat setup, and there are no 2x2 tiles with technic holes.

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler

AllisonByProxy posted:

That Piano is amazing and now I want to build a real one.

Here is the .lxf, have at it:

http://www.speedshare.org/download.php?id=74E555EF1

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler

Lizard Combatant posted:

Those are all fantastic, but this is my favourite:

Thanks, I love those constructions, because they're impossible for me to build with their crazy part counts.
That setup was built out of these parts:

Here's the .lxf:

http://www.speedshare.org/download.php?id=429EB3671

They nicely fit into the LEGO town house grid. I have a few more "parts" in the works for that diorama type stuff.

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler

Lizard Combatant posted:

Cool, thanks I'll take look. What did you base it on out of interest?

I based it on the Jugendstil underground "Stadtbahn" stations by Otto Wagner in Vienna. Didin't really capture it, but I refused to check during the build.

I finalised my Gründerzeit building kit:

All 8x8 or 16x8, and fits nicely together. I kept the color pallette rather simple to make it easier to build.

One of the early attempts at an assembly, there were parts missing from LDD at the time:

Edit: Erroneously removed the download link for the lxf:

http://www.speedshare.org/download.php?id=4BBCA8FB1

pad thai hi-five fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler
Decided to visit my neighbourhood toy store, and they had the new series in stock.
My first haul was successful, only missing the second sea captain.

No Mr. Gold for me, though.