Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
The teacups ride is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

One of the most impressive I've ever seen.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Wife went to Target tonight and she found a gift card with a lego set attached. The thing was it's completely free. You just pay whatever you want to be on the card. I don't know if there's a minimum or not. It just makes the little target logo'd white dog, but hey, free legos.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 10, 2010

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Sockser posted:

That's really amazing, and I would love to do it, but I usually just exchange tanks. :(

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Walmart had the Alien tri-walker on sale for $15 and I couldn't resist. It's a really great set!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Slickdeals has a few small sets for basically dirt cheap. $5 shipping, but still not bad! $4 for that Star Wars set is a pretty sweet deal.
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/61626/lego-lego-lava-dragon-2-lego-robo-champ-3-lego-city-burglars-magnet-set-3.50-lego-star-wars-magnet-set

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

My mom got me the Black Pearl boat for christmas but I returned it today. I'm going to get a smaller set and use the extra money for some things I need around the house. drat being an adult, I really wanted to tear into that boat. I still have my Barracuda to satisfy my lego boat needs though!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

To you two with the big rear end expensive sets you keep posting, I hate you. So, so much. (Please don't stop)

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

oneof27 posted:

My exact thoughts. I need that set, but I don't $80 need it.

Almost 1400 pieces though, so not too bad considering that.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Just a reminder to check out your local megastore clearance aisles. One of my walmarts had the aqua theme sets with the underwater sub with the drill on it half off, $15 down from $30. Has like 265 pieces or so. They had about 25 of them. Are they ending that line or something?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Deep Sea Raider was the one I got. It was a great little build for $15. Lots of new pieces I didn't have before! Might head back to walmart and grab a couple more.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

My local Meijer has a bucket full (100s easy) of series 5 minifigs 2 for $4. Is that a pretty good price? I'm tempted to grab a few handfulls.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Adregan posted:

If you do go back and nab some dwarfs I will throw you some cash to send a couple my way. My Meijer just isn't cool enough to have series 5.

I'm thinking of heading back actually. Looking at the dwarf, what would be the easist shape to feel for, the round shield? On second thought it looks like that gladiator has one too. The hat then?

I grabbed another atlantis set for cheap while at meijer. It was a minisub with the shark guy. Regular $10 they had them marked down to $7.50 but one was marked down to $5 for no discernable reason. The box was perfectly intact. Its hard to pass up $5 lego. They also had the huge walking sphinx set half off for $25 but it looked like a really boring build.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

We have a pretty good selection of the games. Having a family of four (two kids age 14 and 9), hopefully this will give you a good indicator. The kids enjoy them all, but for adults some are just a matter of "is it over yet?"

Atlantis: It's pretty fun but it feels like the game ends very quickly for how big the board is. Like, it's almost too easy. The torpedoes are a very cool idea but out of a dozen games or so I think only one person has ever been hit because you rarely end up on the same line of sight. It's very non-competitive and you feel like each person has their own little corner you hardly ever break out of. Like having a race where each car is on a separate identical track and you time them. drat, the micro subs are badass looking though!

Magma Monster: This one is actually pretty fun. The kids like it because there's a couple ways to sabotage other players. Simple but fun game design.

Pirate Code: Love this one. If you had Mastermind as a kid you'll know exactly what to do here. Definitely one kids can easily master and it's just as fun for adults as kids.

Race 3000: This one seems fun but the idea of the shortcuts isn't explained very well and end up rarely being used. The idea of building the dice as you go is very novel, but in the end it just feels like you may as well be taking turns rolling a regular die. Its just a matter of who gets the higher movement roll more, so totally luck based.

Creationary: It's a really great idea in theory but like the guy said before, a lot get guessed before you're anywhere near done. Difficulty levels were a nice inclusion but it seems either they get guessed immediately or are way too abstract to ever be gotten. Still manages to be fun though.

Minotaurus: Easily my favorite. The wall moving can be downright nasty at times and although the Minotaur isn't a huge part of the game, it's like this lurking thing you always have to be aware of. Great fun for kids and adults. This is probably the only one I'd play with a group of adult friends.

Harry Potter: This game is pretty devious. The way the board moves, or can be moved, makes planning far in advance impossible. It's a good mix of strategy and luck. Might be a bit too advanced for really young players, but they'll still enjoy playing. The alternate rules/pieces are really great in this one too.

Ramses Pyramid: It basically boils down to memory. There are little strategy elements like the gem stealing and skeleton moving, but ultimately this one is just a big memory test as to where certain colored gems are hidden. It's a really fun build though, looks great.

The best part about all these games is if you find them boring, you can make up your own rules. I know that's true of about any board game, but with the Lego games it just seems more natural. Sometimes I felt like "hey I paid for these, shouldn't you have fleshed this out a bit better before throwing it on a shelf?". Some feel very thrown together and you can't help but wonder if they actually played the game because the flaws in them are very obvious on every play. In the end, the kids enjoy them and that's what we got them for. (Seriously, buy Minotaurus)

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

djfooboo posted:

Any goons going to Brickworld Indy? I will be volunteering with IndyLUG both days.

Thank you thank you thank you for this. Two weeks away and I'm off that weekend. I only live 45min away so me and my kids will definitely be there. This made my day!

Speaking of kids, my youngest turns 9 on Monday so we did presents today. Hit up the BOGO at Toys R Us and picked up the DC Heroes set of Batman at the Joker's Funhouse and that Creator Lighthouse. It was around 900 pieces for $70. The lighthouse is AMAZING. Even at full price it's worth every penny. The Funhouse is a cool little set too.

I almost picked up this when I was there. 525 bricks for $30, and there's a lot of good pieces in there, not just 100 little round 1x1 lights and miscellaneous bits.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Saint Sputnik posted:

I was skeptical when I saw this pop up on imgur but yep it's real

I want to meet her just so I can ask for a business card. Free minifig!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

On my back from Brickworld Indy. I don't remember which goon brought it to my attention a few weeks ago but I can't thank you enough. It was amazing. The kids had a blast and there was some cool interactive stuff. I took over 300 pictures. When I get home I'll post some of the good ones and link to the rest which will all be in my photobucket account. If you can go, go!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Ok here's the whole album: http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/ChesterJT/Brickworld%20Indy%202012/. After removing some blurry shots I ended up with 297. Here's a few of my favorites!

Bought this for SASS this december

Shirt I bought. Are those numbers in mm I assume?

This guy is the designer for all the architecture sets. He was autographing boxes too.

That building in Malaysia whose name I can't remember right now.

Closeup

Skateboard stadium

Micro Star Wars

Nice shot through Hoth doors looking out at the huge battlefield outside. They had those LEDs on a blinker so it looked like Chewie was welding on the Falcon. There's a video of it in the album.

A building

Etch a sketch

Another cool building

Ketchup

This dude made Hero Quest!

Micro IKEA

Ice castle

This castle was super impressive

The autographed Lucas Oil stadium. The guy who built it was there and I happened to get video of him taking apart a panel on the back while he was showing someone how it all worked. The amount of hidden gears and poo poo in there would blow your mind. The video is in the album too.

Some mindstorm game I didn't get to see them play but looked very cool

A working ATM complete with card and swiper

A very cool piece

One angle Darth Vader...

the other, Anakin!

They were building a large scale version of an old Lego castle set. The amount of work into each "brick" was incredible. Here's one of the knights. You can see his axe on the table.

Those wall sections were crazy big.

Edit: VVV Yes! That was it! It even had that Rally logo with the yellow and black stripes on it right at the front but I didn't get a picture of it.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 10, 2012

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

djfooboo posted:

I brought it to your attention! Thanks for taking all those pictures, now I don't have to do it tomorrow :v:. Do you mind if I share these with IndyLUG and the Brickworld staff?

Share away! And tell them thanks for having it and for all their hard work! My lovely cellphone pictures(tm) are pretty blurry in spots but some turned out good. I think there was just too much depth on the tables and the camera didn't know where exactly to focus.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 10, 2012

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Holy poo poo the lego batteries are amazing.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

VaultAggie posted:

drat, that is a really nice set. It seems like a great build and it'd be easy to hell to modify or add onto. How much was it?

The best part is the way they used an LED block, reflective stickers, and a crank to make it not only light up but allow you to make it spin around. Looks great in the dark.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

I'm glad someone got some shots of that huge castle completed. It was only a few bricks in when we got there Saturday. I think those mega blocks (if you'll excuse the phrase) were some of the most impressive things there. Did any of you happen to get pictures of the completed mosaics? My son did a square for a Tigger one but they hadn't put it together yet when we left.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Mar 13, 2012

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Bloody Holly posted:

Just wanted to heap on the praise for the space marine.
any word on the next series?

Hold the phone, space marine has the old school lego space symbol on it? Off to the store I go!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Wife was at an almost-antique type store in town and spotted two older Lego sets and texted me to see if they were cool and/or a good price.

Both still sealed, never been opened. Boxes were in fantastic shape except for a couple spots you can see in the second picture. One was $12 the other was $15. Told her to grab them, so now she deserves a nice mother's day gift!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Speaking of Duplo, we have a strict "no LEGO in the trash" rule in this house. This includes any tiny random piece that my kids may have lost on the floor that is about to be vacuumed up. They will be kept forever! I'm sure most people here are the same way, but I was wondering what the general consensus was on Duplo. As Gravy would say I am no AFOD. I have a bag of them from the kids but I see them simply as starter Lego and never touch them anymore since the kids are grown.

I was going to take them to goodwill or something but didn't know if they would take a bag of random loose Duplo. Or if someone here really wants them PM me and I could throw them in a box if you'd pay a couple bucks for shipping or something.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

I'm usually not too worried about my lego habits and how others perceive them, but the other day I had to pick up my kid from high school. I was going to get there a bit early so I decided to grab one of those $4 star wars sets in the plastic bags to mess with while I waited. Got a lot of weird looks but I guess they also might have been thinking I was a pedophile. Think I'll just bring a book next time.

Also, more baseplates please! I was really disappointed with the first Harry Potter castle for that reason. Not much more than a facade really. I remember the old yellow castle that was a whole structure and also had hinges so you could open it up or change the shape of it. I've gone mostly to creator sets these days.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Gravy Jones posted:

I should reiterate that it this wouldn't be about coming up with a "good" idea, just a dumb idea that we can deadpan enough to get taken vaguely seriously and not deleted out of hand for being an obvious joke. (aside from all that I agree with everything you're saying).

Got a "go for it" from an admin so I'm game. Anyone got any idea that fit or want to try their hand at a Lowtax minifigure? Also any other "internet famous" minifigures welcome... I'm thinking Gabe Newell, Kevin Smith, Tim Buckley, Penny Arcade Guys? anyone with on online presence and an ego.

Or, like I said, a better bad idea would be welcome (no grenades, no goatse)

Zuckerburg, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates. They're not exactly just "internet" famous but having lowtax mixed in with billion dollar ceo's would be hysterical. Maybe a bit too obvious though. Even though he's mainly an actor you could add Ashton Kutcher.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Some really nice sets on clearance at Kmart http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/747...fo-abduction-11

Alien mothership for $22!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

Yep. The plan is keep one Heroica, one or two of each Alien set, and a Friends Cafe or two. The rest get sold and used to replenish what I invested, pay bills, and buy more Legos. :getin:

Some dude came up to me in the Lego aisle with my cart full of stuff and gave me a high five. Looks like I beat him to it by literally five minutes, but he said he wasn't willing to deal with the clerks anyways.

Wanna sell a mothership? :v:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

tikan posted:

That's not really a cool thing to make jokes about.

The internet is no place for jokes!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Testro posted:

I know it's been said before, but it's not just about girls being mired in an explosion of pink bricks (you can be a vet, but only if you have pink walls!), but it's about boys being pigeonholed as well - they're not allowed to be friends; they have to be heroes instead.

People who actually believe this stuff affects kids like that boggle my mind.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Sockser posted:

I'm probably misinterpreting because your post is pretty vague but like... it does affect kids. Drawing these strong gender lines only serves to keep perpetuating these strong gender divides. Thus, you end up with boys obsessed with fighting and girls who think the only desirable trait in a person is beauty.

I was more speaking to the part of the post I quoted that acted like kids follow things they see on a toy box like a robot, and anyone who has kids knows that isn't true. That's not to say it has no effect on kids but nowhere near as strong as some people make it out to be. Kids will grow up and be whatever and whoever they want to be regardless if they saw a Lego figure doing it or not.

InfinEight posted:

Growing up, I knew that if I wasn't an arctic space explorer with a giant orange chainsaw, no one would want to play with me.

I was right :smith:

I never got to be a spaceman :(

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Gravy Jones posted:

As a GBS mod yo'd think I'd be used to this... I have no idea why I expect AFOLs to be "better" in this respect!

Look at it this way, people are talking about their opinions without it turning into an angry name-calling grudge fued. Lets see that happen in a gbs thread about the police! :)

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Went to Toys r Us to finally get that space marine. Got my figure, my older son got his bunny guy he liked, but my younger son was hoping for the black knight and after all the sorting I grabbed the wrong one and he ended up with a little red riding hood. He was a bit disappointed but took it in stride. Did get to see the LotR and Monster sets. That hearse is pretty badass.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Gravy Jones posted:

My mother-in-law over breakfast on the last day of our holiday: Oh, my sister said she was getting rid of her son's Lego. She was really sad about it because there was so much of it and while he was growing up it was all he ever wanted and all they ever brought him for birthday's and christmas and now he'd told them to get rid of it all. She asked if I knew anyone who wanted it and I remembered you liked Lego so I said I'd have it. We would have got it last week, but there wasn't room in the car so we'll take the trailer next time we go.

Me: :aaaaa:

I have no idea how I'm going to get it from Belgium to the UK but still :D

If you need a hand I'll be on the next plane over. You can pay me in bulk Lego!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Rare Collectable posted:

Hahaha you're right, this just keeps getting better and better.

I really need to know what kind of music Lord Vampyre listens to. :allears:

This is the most amazing thing. Brilliant design.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Sharkelberry posted:

Here's the haul all of it cost me $120! There are some incomplete sets in there as well, but everything pictured is parted out.

You stole my thunder :( . Went to garage sales today and ended up with these two for $30. (Sorry for hugeness)

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Th_ posted:

Is it just me, or are these models gigantic compared to the ones available in the 80s and 90s?

Took about two hours but I finished that Offroad Power truck. I know it's not Technic but it is HUGE. Amazing set though. Lots of great features and design in it. It'd be hard to recommend paying full price for it (like most sets these days) but if you can get a deal on it go for it.

Sockser posted:

Aztec, spear.

Also that helmet thing is huge in the package. It's hard to tell but that raised mohawk-type thing isn't like a mohawk, it's v-shaped. Pointed in the front and split on the back. One time I started feeling right between the back and thought it was an overneck piece of body armor so don't let that throw you.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Travis343 posted:

And then there's this Pegasus which is absolutely insane.

The legs on that are brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

VERY well done on this!