Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
My mother-in-law over breakfast on the last day of our holiday: Oh, my sister said she was getting rid of her son's Lego. She was really sad about it because there was so much of it and while he was growing up it was all he ever wanted and all they ever brought him for birthday's and christmas and now he'd told them to get rid of it all. She asked if I knew anyone who wanted it and I remembered you liked Lego so I said I'd have it. We would have got it last week, but there wasn't room in the car so we'll take the trailer next time we go.

Me: :aaaaa:

I have no idea how I'm going to get it from Belgium to the UK but still :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

VaultAggie posted:

The 6211 Star Destroyer has the flimsiest loving base ever and its almost essential to reinforce it with larger plates. As much as I love that thing, I'm terrified of holding it up and moving it to the kitchen table.

The frame is fine but the play set part that holds vader and the shuttle is horrible and later versions had a few more plates put in to stabilize it. The flaps for the shell though are much more stable then the UCS star destroyer and it is a decent way to mount plates at a angle.

Gravy Jones, that is awesome. I have no idea what I would do with a trailer full of lego. Clean it then swim it in maybe like scrooge mcduck and his moneybin?

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Merchant of Death posted:

The frame is fine but the play set part that holds vader and the shuttle is horrible and later versions had a few more plates put in to stabilize it. The flaps for the shell though are much more stable then the UCS star destroyer and it is a decent way to mount plates at a angle.

Gravy Jones, that is awesome. I have no idea what I would do with a trailer full of lego. Clean it then swim it in maybe like scrooge mcduck and his moneybin?

The top surface of the SSD is held on by a sturdy set of pin plates and clips. The clips are attached to the A-frame, which is in turn attached to the body by hinge plates.

I'll probably just duplicate that, since I know it can already achieve the correct angle and everything. Why reinvent the wheel?

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Gravy Jones posted:

My mother-in-law over breakfast on the last day of our holiday: Oh, my sister said she was getting rid of her son's Lego. She was really sad about it because there was so much of it and while he was growing up it was all he ever wanted and all they ever brought him for birthday's and christmas and now he'd told them to get rid of it all. She asked if I knew anyone who wanted it and I remembered you liked Lego so I said I'd have it. We would have got it last week, but there wasn't room in the car so we'll take the trailer next time we go.

Holy crap.

Lego, such a great inheritance.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Gravy Jones posted:

You how bigs the trailer? You might have to rent a Semi:) or build one out of the Legos...

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Gravy Jones posted:

I have no idea how I'm going to get it from Belgium to the UK

Quickly before they change their mind about getting rid of it.

nws
Jul 20, 2004
Part time SCUBA Instructor......
Finished the Lego VW Van after a few days of having to go to work and other things between.

Does anyone else get anxious near the end of a build? The less pieces there are, the faster I feel I need to find them. Great build and model in the end.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DrChud posted:

You how bigs the trailer? You might have to rent a Semi:) or build one out of the Legos...

That much Lego for free, he probably already has a semi ;)

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
It's my nephew's 11th (??? ±1 year. I am a bad uncle.) birthday, and he wants LEGO. My mum and I are going to go halves on a set, and I'm using the wonderful Brick Badger to find it. We've got a budget of around £35. I've narrowed it down to the following sets. I am wondering if any of you folks can give me reviews of these, or a recommendation if you know a few of them well.

City 3221: Big Truck - this is probably what I'd get if I was buying for myself, but I think that he'd probably prefer one of the more fantasy/sci-fi sets.

Pharaoh's Quest 7326: Rise of the Sphinx - looks kind of fun although the build design on the Sphinx looks a little lame.

Technic 8068: Rescue Helicopter - I don't know if he likes Technic that much. Again I'd say he's likely to be more into the fantasy stuff. It looks like a cool kit and if it's got something really special going for it then it might be a good choice.

Alien Conquest 7065: Alien Mothership - Probably the most impressive set in the shortlist, and I know he has a couple of the smaller Alien Conquest things.

Star Wars 7930: Bounty Hunter Assault - I hate the prequel stuff so tempted to veto this on principle, but I know he's not as fussy and if this is a good set then I'll swallow my pride...

City 3368: Space Center - this looks awesome and probably as impressive-looking as the Alien Mothership. Probably my personal second choice but maybe not for him ;) EDIT: Haha I just noticed the guy standing next to the launch pad flipping the countdown manually. I wonder if they have an alternative minifig in the box where he's burnt to a cinder by the rocket :roflolmao:

Alternatively I could give him some of my stuff that I really don't need and really should never have bought, and while that means I could give him something exceptional like my Lunar Limo, it would be second hand and probably less impressive for that.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jun 6, 2012

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

ineptmule posted:

Alien Conquest 7065: Alien Mothership - Probably the most impressive set in the shortlist, and I know he has a couple of the smaller Alien Conquest things.

This would be my choice. It's one of the few sets I don't see myself taking apart, and if he's already sort of into Alien Conquest, it seems like a no-brainer to me. Plus it comes with the Commander minifig, which is all sorts of awesome.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Gravy Jones posted:

If you need a hand I'll be on the next plane over. You can pay me in bulk Lego!

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

ineptmule posted:

Pharaoh's Quest 7326: Rise of the Sphinx

I really like this set at the current price. I thought it was a fun build plus for a kid it's got a lot of play potential. It is a substantial set as well at over 500 pieces. The Cursed Cobra statue just dropped to half price again as well. It's a bit of a rip-off at full price but pretty good at £12. If you stretched the budget by a couple of pounds you could get both!

For me the Pharoah's Quest stuff came into it's own (from a kid playing with toys perspective) when we got a few sets together. These two together give you 3 bad guys, 2 big statue/monsters, 3 good guys, two vehicles, loads of guns dynamite, treasure etc. Add in the smaller sets and you've got a movie going on. I've got everything except the big pyramid, which never seems to be discounted :(

But I don't know how interested an 11 year old will be in a knock-off Indiana Jones/The Mummy theme compared to aliens and spaceships.

Disclaimer: I don't really like the Alien Conquest flying saucers (I love the earth defence force stuff but aliens don't do much for me).

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
With regards to the bulk Lego the quantity may be a little exagerated. There's Playmobil in there (which obviously holds zero adult value, but as a toy for kids some of it is pretty cool) which is a bit bulkier. I should be getting photographic evidence in a couple of weeks.

Two things that fill me with hope: my MIL thinks this sister is kind of the retain-all-original-packaging type and she'd be suprised if a lot of the Lego wasn't boxed and complete; and the son is in his late 30s now which means a lot of it should be late 70s to mid 80s stuff. As someone who no longer has all their childhood Lego if there's any classic space in there I may weep.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Gravy Jones posted:

I really like this set at the current price. I thought it was a fun build plus for a kid it's got a lot of play potential. It is a substantial set as well at over 500 pieces. The Cursed Cobra statue just dropped to half price again as well. It's a bit of a rip-off at full price but pretty good at £12. If you stretched the budget by a couple of pounds you could get both!

For me the Pharoah's Quest stuff came into it's own (from a kid playing with toys perspective) when we got a few sets together. These two together give you 3 bad guys, 2 big statue/monsters, 3 good guys, two vehicles, loads of guns dynamite, treasure etc. Add in the smaller sets and you've got a movie going on. I've got everything except the big pyramid, which never seems to be discounted :(

But I don't know how interested an 11 year old will be in a knock-off Indiana Jones/The Mummy theme compared to aliens and spaceships.

Disclaimer: I don't really like the Alien Conquest flying saucers (I love the earth defence force stuff but aliens don't do much for me).
Or you can buy the stupid statue/snake set and build ANUBHISS!

RodShaft posted:

BEHOLD, Anub-hiss

This was made using only the pieces from 7325 Cursed Cobra Statue(but no pieces from the car).I did it this way because I wanted a challenge and I miss when the back of the boxes would show you 3/4 other things you could make with your new kit. Also the snake/spire statue thing kinda sucked.

Here's Anub-hiss's chest without the mummy using magical snakes to control him magically.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

ineptmule posted:

It's my nephew's 11th (??? ±1 year. I am a bad uncle.) birthday, and he wants LEGO. My mum and I are going to go halves on a set, and I'm using the wonderful Brick Badger to find it. We've got a budget of around £35. I've narrowed it down to the following sets. I am wondering if any of you folks can give me reviews of these, or a recommendation if you know a few of them well.

City 3221: Big Truck - this is probably what I'd get if I was buying for myself, but I think that he'd probably prefer one of the more fantasy/sci-fi sets.

Pharaoh's Quest 7326: Rise of the Sphinx - looks kind of fun although the build design on the Sphinx looks a little lame.

Technic 8068: Rescue Helicopter - I don't know if he likes Technic that much. Again I'd say he's likely to be more into the fantasy stuff. It looks like a cool kit and if it's got something really special going for it then it might be a good choice.

Star Wars 7930: Bounty Hunter Assault - I hate the prequel stuff so tempted to veto this on principle, but I know he's not as fussy and if this is a good set then I'll swallow my pride...

City 3368: Space Center - this looks awesome and probably as impressive-looking as the Alien Mothership. Probably my personal second choice but maybe not for him ;) EDIT: Haha I just noticed the guy standing next to the launch pad flipping the countdown manually. I wonder if they have an alternative minifig in the box where he's burnt to a cinder by the rocket :roflolmao:

Alternatively I could give him some of my stuff that I really don't need and really should never have bought, and while that means I could give him something exceptional like my Lunar Limo, it would be second hand and probably less impressive for that.

I'd go for the mothership. The mothership looks really nice and if he has some others, he could easily fit it in with them. Not to mention there's a facehugger and the head alien to add to his other aliens.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
How chemically stable is Lego? I mean we've all heard about how plastics won't degrade for centuries in a landfill or the GPGP, but on the other hand ultraviolet exposure can do weird things to some plastics, and I can't believe that ABS is completely chemically neutral. Could we really expect modern lego, properly stored and played with, to last for generations?

Also, is the trans stuff ABS or polystyrene or some other thing?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Phy posted:

How chemically stable is Lego? I mean we've all heard about how plastics won't degrade for centuries in a landfill or the GPGP, but on the other hand ultraviolet exposure can do weird things to some plastics, and I can't believe that ABS is completely chemically neutral. Could we really expect modern lego, properly stored and played with, to last for generations?

Also, is the trans stuff ABS or polystyrene or some other thing?

Most of my stuff from the 90s is indistinguishable from new bricks (shiny newness aside).

The trans pieces are poly, which is why you're not supposed to put trans pieces on ABS shafts or you end up with

Captain Invictus posted:

This was a bad idea. I did not realize they never fixed this impossible to separate combination in all those years since it began. It was absolutely impossible to budge, I made dents in my fingers that were there for hours afterward trying to pry them apart. Therefore, time to call in the big guns!

Eh, there's a million more neon green cones out there.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Lost track of this thread due to the move. Had 2000 posts to catch up on!

Now, can anyone point me to the right direction for getting a small rc car up and running for cheap?

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Ingram posted:

Now, can anyone point me to the right direction for getting a small rc car up and running for cheap?

Depends on cheap, you will need 1 IR sensor, 1 Remote, and at a minimum 2 M power function motors and battery box so about $50 just for those parts. If you have no lego sets just pick up the technic tow truck or extreme cruiser as they are both easy to hook up to the power function parts for RC control.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Fall technic sets include a remote controlled 4x4, will not be cheap though.
Lego also had released small remote controlled cars a number of years ago, maybe you can find one used. (http://www.brickset.com/browse/themes/?theme=Racers&subtheme=Outdoor RC )

Anyone here live in/near cologne or wiesbaden? Just noticed they have some PAB parts I could use, would like to get one or two large cups shipped.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
The cars lego released are really pricey online if you want them and some of the motors really suck for using in lego but hey they go faster than anything you can do with the current and former motors.

The fall 4x4 truck is going to be really nice due to the introduction of the servo motor to the power functions line. The new motors are supposed to be in between the current M and XL motor. I recommend heading to the eurobricks technic forum as they tend to motorize ever set if possible to the point of sillyness, the small $25 technic crane someone had to motorize it and there was more motor/batterybox/ir then the rest of the model.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Ika posted:

Anyone here live in/near cologne or wiesbaden? Just noticed they have some PAB parts I could use, would like to get one or two large cups shipped.

How are you able to tell this? Do stores post their PAB inventories online or something?

e:

This nifty little SNOT brick combo is what's making the under-surface for my SSD work.

Single segment, just enough to check the angles. I want to use the same big mostly studless plates the top surface used, but I'll need to order a bunch first.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to run a spine down the center with the same hinge & SNOT setup and have it magically line up so that the center is supported, but I've yet to test that.

Haven't done anything like this (building something of my own) since I was a kid. Having fun. :toot:

mynnna fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 7, 2012

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
On the topic of remote controlled Lego, one of these is sitting on a book shelf in our library: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=8675-1

Any time the battery is connected to the motor it spins backwards and doesn't respond to the remote control and we have no idea what to do to fix it, and contacting Lego shortly after we got it was met with essentially "Oh really? That's too bad. gently caress you go away." because we bought it at Ollie's after it was discontinued (with no returns)

Anyone have any ideas?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Torael_7 posted:

How are you able to tell this? Do stores post their PAB inventories online or something?

Kinda, third party site: http://www.brickbuildr.com/view/pab/

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Seeing as no one posts in the Lego mini figure trading thread, is anyone in here interested in a old of figures and The Sun Lego?

Here are the figures and sets that I have:

S7 
Knight, stunt man, jungle boy x2, hippie, bunny

S6
Leprechaun, bandit x2, genie x2, señorita

S5
Detective, reptile, cave girl, royal guard, gladiator, dwarf, boxer, redneck, clown

The sun Lego

Tie fighter x5
Star destroyer
City car x6
Ninjago go art x5
Ninjago knives x6
City fire cart x2

I'm willing to sell all the mini figures at £1.50 and the sets for £1 each if that sounds reasonable?

If someone wants the whole lot I'm willing to cut a deal as I've had them sitting around for far too long.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
To prepare for Lego Batman 2 I snatched up Lego Star Wars 3 and Lego Pirates of the Caribbean yesterday for $15 each. I forgot how much fun these games were!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hamburlgar posted:

Seeing as no one posts in the Lego mini figure trading thread, is anyone in here interested in a old of figures and The Sun Lego?

Here are the figures and sets that I have:

S7 
Knight, stunt man, jungle boy x2, hippie, bunny

S6
Leprechaun, bandit x2, genie x2, señorita

S5
Detective, reptile, cave girl, royal guard, gladiator, dwarf, boxer, redneck, clown

The sun Lego

Tie fighter x5
Star destroyer
City car x6
Ninjago go art x5
Ninjago knives x6
City fire cart x2

I'm willing to sell all the mini figures at £1.50 and the sets for £1 each if that sounds reasonable?

If someone wants the whole lot I'm willing to cut a deal as I've had them sitting around for far too long.
PMed you!

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Practically sold already :)

You Lego goons are the best!

sybir
Sep 10, 2004
Uhhh, what?
I'll take any/all of the Sun sets that Invictus doesn't grab. Not likely, I know ;)

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Ah. The stores I live near aren't big enough or whatever for someone to update them, it seems. :sigh:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

sybir posted:

I'll take any/all of the Sun sets that Invictus doesn't grab. Not likely, I know ;)

There was a great discount for buying it all, so I did. :v:

Wish I could've gotten some Batman Sun sets, but those look to be ridiculously annoying to get now.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

I just watched some gameplay footage of Lego Undercover City, which does look like a pretty great game for the WiiU, but what got my attention was one of the buildings the player drove past. Forgive the low quality of the image:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Got my li'l Hulk today :3:

Part of my order was the Monster Fighter Creature from the Black Lagoon because I thought Wolverine would look cooler in that tattered bomber jacket, then I remembered he's a fleshie. Dang.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Just noticed the Minecraft legos are up on shop.lego.com for US customers.

MichaelFlatley
Nov 11, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

Wish I could've gotten some Batman Sun sets, but those look to be ridiculously annoying to get now.

Do you need both the batmobile and the jet ski thing? Whereabouts are you? Pm me maybe?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Pretty cool album: http://imgur.com/a/ShWqX

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
That is pretty cool. I'm tempted to turn The Shining one into an avatar

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

mattfl posted:

OH OH OH! ME ME ME :)

Here's what I need.

Aztec Warrior
Bunny Man
Computer Geek ( Would like 2 of these )
King of the sea dude.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Went to Barnes and Noble and ended up a pile of space marines without even trying much. I'll trade two of them. I need:

bagpiper
bride
bunny man

I could also offer up a Viking Fat Lady.

Email me at 1308cc on google mail, I am in Canada so I don't know if that'll screw things up.

One box is halfway gone, debating whether to open the other one.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 12, 2012

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

http://www.wired.co.uk/magazine/archive/2012/07/start/playful-prototyping

Havn't seen this posted yet. Does this mean I can buy lego with an equipment grant now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Amoeba102 posted:

http://www.wired.co.uk/magazine/archive/2012/07/start/playful-prototyping

Havn't seen this posted yet. Does this mean I can buy lego with an equipment grant now?

You may run into problems if you get audited and they wonder where the lego you claimed to buy for lab use actually is. :v: